TESTERS WANTED! ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - MIZUNO JPX EZ FORGED IRONS

JBones

Mizzy11.jpg

OFFICIAL MIZUNO JPX EZ FORGED IRONS REVIEW

This is, to date, the biggest review thread we've had, with nearly 600 applications and 20,000 thread views.  We have three members that are chomping at the bit to get out and review custom sets of Mizuno JPX EZ Forged irons.

Without further ado, here are the testers.

Oaks                 Stage One          Stage Two          Stage Three

RoverRick         Stage One          Stage Two          Stage Three

ChemClub         Stage One          Stage Two          Stage Three

Let us know what you think!

Visit Mizunos website HERE

Like Mizuno on Facebook HERE

Follow Mizuno on Twitter HERE

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stage One –

First off, I want to Thank MyGolfSPY as well as Mizuno Golf for this awesome giveaway.  I actually saw this one and was excited to enter as for the last few years I have always played more of a players club, currently in my bag is a set of TaylorMade 2014 Tour Preferred MC irons.  That being said some of my best golf that I ever played with was with a set of Mizuno MX-300's so I saw these JPX EZ-Forged as a transition back to my old MX-300's.  Recently I have seen a decrease in my rounds per year and also in my practice schedule with two young children under the age of 3 so a more forgiving iron may make my limited rounds more enjoyable and rewarding.   

About Me:

Currently I play off of a GHIN of 6.2 but can see my average score range anywhere from a 74 to a 84, due to a number of inconsistencies in my game.  My strengths are that I usually have pretty solid ball striking with my irons and a decent short game and bunker play.  Am I your prototypical knockdown every flag with my irons kind of player – no, and I miss a lot of greens but that is more a direct result of putting myself into terrible positions off of the tee.  I was once told by a top 10 instructor (who rode about 12 holes with me) that my mental game/on course strategy probably costs me 3-5 shots per round.  I wouldn't disagree with this assessment. 

The most glaring weaknesses to my game is that I battle all too often with my driver and my putter.  Seemingly when one is good the other isn't just bad it is flat out terrible.  My typical ball flight on a regular basis is a Mid/High Draw although I am always trying to work back to be able to play a small fade off of the ball. 

I tend to miss a lot of tee shots due to the dreaded flip at impact – I have tried to eliminate this is recent years with open face angles, toe weighting and building my grips up to look like tennis rackets.  It has helped to a certain extant but it will probably always be the swing tendency that I struggle with. My typical miss is the all too familiar LOOKOUT LEFT!  Hook of the Low Sweeping variety that starts left, ends left and cannot stop until it hits a tree, bunker or worse… As well all know – you can talk to a FADE but a HOOK doesn't listen.   I also have a moderate to fast swing tempo and was once told as a teenager that my body has more moving parts than a Swiss Watch.  I have tried to calm down unneeded excess motion over time, but some habits die hard, especially when you don't have the needed time to practice and play. 

Currently I am probably between 105-110 SS off of the driver, but I have not had it measured since December of 2013 when I was fit in Florida.  My present clubs actually kind of chose me.  In 2013 I had the luxury of being fit by TaylorMade in Naples, FL.  I was able to get my  driver, hybrid and irons dialed in front of their professional staff from both Florida as well as California.  The driver has changed slightly with a shaft change or two; I presently have a quiver of shafts from TaylorMade as a result of this experience.  It was at this time though that I was also fit for my irons and ordered them directly through my in-house contacts at TaylorMade that I made on that trip.

What is currently in my bag:

●   TaylorMade SLDR 460 10.5* w/ ACCRA CS1 70 M5

●   Callaway X2 Hot 15* with Aldila Tour Green 75 X

●   TaylorMade JetSpeed Hybrid 19* with Matrix Black Tie HM95

●   TaylorMade 2015 Tour Preffered MC 3-PW with Dynamic Gold TI X-100

●   Titleist Vokey SM5 – 54.11M and 60.11K

●   Odyssey Works 7 Tank

The best example of current equipment that is comparable to the Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged are my current irons – TaylorMade 2014 Tour Preferred MC – 3-PW with Dynamic Gold X-100 Tour Issue.  The JPX's are definitely chunkier and have stronger lofts than I am used to playing, but upon first look they are not as large or as chunky as I was expecting.  They actually look quite playable to me, once I get them out of the golf course I will have a better understanding of how “playable” they will be.  It will be the first time ever that I have not carried a 3 iron, but the lofts are actually quite similar to my TP's. 

I was not able to be fit for my set of irons through a Mizuno authorized fitter – not sure why Mizuno couldn't “find one” (I know of a few in the area – one who is a Mizuno Top 100) but considering I was just fit a few years ago I was fairly certain with my specs and with two young children time is a commodity that I do not have excess of.  The Specs of my new set from Mizuno are, which are replicated off of my TM set.  I play my 5 iron off of 38.25”

JPX-EZ Forged 4-GW

Project X 6.5 (DG Tour Issue weren't an option and I have been a PX Player in the past so figured why not.)

Length is +1/2” & 1* Up Lie Angle

Golf Pride MCC+4 Blue with 3 Extra Wraps

Stock Specs of 2014 TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC's & 2016 JPX-EZ Forged Irons

TM TP.png

Picture1.jpg

For me the one of the hardest issues that I will have to deal with is that I have always played 3-PW 54 & 60.  The Mizuno's come in 4-GW but the loft gapping of the irons is quite similar.  At the lower end of the set it will actually give me better gapping as I will now have a wedge that fits in between my PW and 54 with a flowed loft. 

In my past years I was always a tinkerer – thinking that it must be the arrow and not the Indian.  As time has passed, my family grown and my time at the golf course shrunk I have learned to set it and forget it and that most likely it is my golf swing and not the product. 

How long have you been golfing and why do you love the game?

I have been playing since I was a kid, picking up the game more seriously as an 11 or 12 year old.  It started out as a family activity for me, my parents and my brother.  It then morphed into something so much more for me.  I started working at the club that I am still a member at to this day, a quaint Par 70 seaside course in the Northeast. 

The game of golf means so much to me individually because whether it is playing with family or friends or sometimes my most enjoyable rounds have been playing by myself late in the afternoon or evening just taking time to think and enjoy. 

Recently, my wife has become more involved with the game (I think she may love it as much as I do) and we love to play together, when time allows with our two young children, and our goal is to hopefully have our children love it as much as we do.  That is the great thing about this game – it doesn't matter how young or how old you are – it truly is a game of a lifetime.  I look forward to when our children are a little older and we can play as a family and with their grandparents as well. 

What Do I expect from the 2016 JPX-EZ Forged Irons? 

Quite frankly, I am not certain.  From a looks perspective – I think that I could get used to them, the dark finish is quite striking and I think that my game could benefit from the added forgiveness.  We will have to see how my testing and my review process rounds up, but I think that these may have a shot at the bag for 2016 just due to the added forgiveness that I should be gaining. 

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

MIZUNO JPX-EZ FORGED 2015 – Official MGS Forum Review by OAKS

My set of Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged irons were ordered +1/2”, 1* Upright, Project X 6.5 with Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Black/Blue Grips.   Setup is 4 – GW 

IMG_4408.JPG

My current gamers are TaylorMade 2014 Tour Preferred MC +1/2” with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X-100 irons.  Setup is 3 - PW

These excerpts were taken from my Stage One Review.

Recently I have seen a decrease in my rounds per year and also in my practice schedule with two young children under the age of 3 so a more forgiving iron may make my limited rounds more enjoyable and rewarding.  

Currently I play off of a GHIN of 6.2 but can see my average score range anywhere from a 74 to a 84, due to a number of inconsistencies in my game.  My strengths are that I usually have pretty solid ball striking with my irons and a decent short game and bunker play.  Am I your prototypical knockdown every flag with my irons kind of player – no, and I miss a lot of greens but that is more a direct result of putting myself into terrible positions off of the tee.  I was once told by a top 10 instructor (who rode about 12 holes with me) that my mental game/on course strategy probably costs me 3-5 shots per round.  I wouldn't disagree with this assessment. 

The most glaring weaknesses to my game is that I battle all too often with my driver and my putter.  Seemingly when one is good the other isn't just bad it is flat out terrible.  My typical ball flight on a regular basis is a Mid/High Draw although I am always trying to work back to be able to play a small fade off of the ball.

The best example of current equipment that is comparable to the Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged are my current irons – TaylorMade 2014 Tour Preferred MC – 3-PW with Dynamic Gold X-100 Tour Issue.  The JPX's are definitely chunkier and have stronger lofts than I am used to playing, but upon first look they are not as large or as chunky as I was expecting.  They actually look quite playable to me, once I get them out of the golf course I will have a better understanding of how “playable” they will be.  It will be the first time ever that I have not carried a 3 iron, but the lofts are actually quite similar to my TP's. 

I was not able to be fit for my set of irons through a Mizuno authorized fitter – not sure why Mizuno couldn't “find one” (I know of a few in the area – one who is a Mizuno Top 100) but considering I was just fit a few years ago I was fairly certain with my specs and with two young children time is a commodity that I do not have excess of.  The Specs of my new set from Mizuno are, which are replicated off of my TM set.  I play my 5 iron off of 38.25”

At the Range

In all fairness to these irons I haven't had a lot of “Range Time” with these irons to date, except for warm ups here and there before my minimal rounds this past spring. That being said when I have had the chance to hit them, I have been swinging pretty well so I do have a good feel over the playability and performance of these irons.

IMG_4409.JPG

Mizuno lists the following as Technical Specs for the 2015 JPX-EZ Forged Irons:

Grain Flow Forged 1025 Boron.  30% stronger material for added distance while delivering soft, solid, consistent feel.

Mizuno Claims that the JPX-EZ forged irons are supposed to be longer than what I should be seeing with my normal irons.  I have definitely noticed that my irons are flying higher and longer than my TP's with relative ease.   I would say that on average I am seeing about one club length longer than I am used to playing.  This has actually worked out for me thus far as I am used to carrying a traditional set of 3-PW so 4-GW has been fairly seamless, but the lofts also match closely to my old set adding one club.  I don't know if I would classify these as SOFT, but more THICK.

POWER FRAMEâ„¢ Forgiveness.  Weight is strategically placed in the four corners of the cavity to maximize forgiveness.  

The JPX-EZ Forged irons are very accurate and easy to hit straight.  I have always battled with a hard Right to Left Ball flight, and whether it is due to the MCC Plus 4 grips, the design of the irons or the PX shafts, the irons want to go straight.  In fact more often than not I have seen a ball flight that I have been losing out to the right more so that out to the left.  This is not a bad thing – it is more just an adjustment that I need to continue to make with these irons.  The forgives and the control of these irons are where I am struggling.  They are much more forgiving than my current TP's, which is allowing me to get by with less – due to the added forgiveness I am able to control my ball less as it wants to fly straighter and higher than I am used to.

Triple Cut Sole.  A softly beveled leading edge and hard cut trailing edge allows the EZ Forged to enter and exit the turf for playability in all types of lies

The sole design on these irons really is great and does make the irons play much more like a players iron than a game improvement iron.

Black Ni finish.  An anti-glare finish for a sleek bold look.   

SLEEK and BOLD accurately describes the look of these irons.  I am interested in how the finish holds up and wears over time, but the look out of the box looks very good.  Not too dark, yet also not to bright or shinny.

Range Score: (17 of 20 points)

On the Course

The JPX-EZ forged irons would work great for me as a combo set with another iron.  The 4 , 5, 6 irons are an absolute blast to hit.  They feel great – more click than soft butter of an MP-33 – it isn't your typical Mizuno iron feeling, but it still feels great to hit.  The 4, 5, and 6 irons take off great, feel great at impact and are all at least one club longer than I am used to playing.  These are usually the irons that you want to go straighter and worry about working the ball less than with the lower scoring clubs.  

Comparison Pictures of 2014 TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC 4 Iron and Ping Eye2 6 Iron with JPX-EZ

IMG_4414.JPG

IMG_4415.JPG

IMG_4420.JPG

IMG_4421.JPG

The JPX-EZ irons in the Mid-Low (7-9) irons still give that penetrating flight that I have seen with the 4-6 Iron and same added length, but I have found, especially with the 8 and the 9 irons that I am seeing more fliers and jumpers, even off of the fairway.  The clubs routinely want to fly straight, which makes it a little tougher to get to a left pin or to hold a shot shape due to their added forgiveness.  The lack of distance control is what is making these irons harder to give a really good score due to the nature of their design.  I want my 8 and 9 irons to fly a predictable distance, not have a guessing game on my hands. 

8 Irons - JPX-EZ Forged & TM 2014 MC's

IMG_4411.JPG

IMG_4412.JPG

The PW and the GW are where I have had the most struggles with the JPX-EZ irons.  The shape of these irons is much more squared and GI inspired than other sets that I have played in the past.  The boxy shape almost makes you feel like it is an iron designed to straight and not have any control over left, right, high or low… just straight, straight and more straight.  The irons that, to my eyes, these remind me of the most are the Ben Hogan Edge Pro Forged irons circa 2003.  The reason why I was never able to play those irons for an extended amount of time was due to the squareness of the low irons.  The distance control on the shorter irons is still in line with the 8 and 9 irons where I am fining jumpers and inconsistent distances, but I will say the sole design camber on the PW and GW is very good, especially on chipping around the greens. 

PW - TM 2014 MC, Ping Eye 2 & JPX-EZ Forged

IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4417.JPG

IMG_4418.JPG

IMG_4419.JPG

Overall the performance of these irons is very good, they offer a tremendous amount of feel, looong distances, excellent forgiveness, but because of all of these features they are not the most demanding and workable of other irons on the market.

(4 - 6 Irons – out of 7.5 get a 6.75)

(7 – 9 Irons – out of 7.5 get a 6.00)

(PW & GW – out of 5.0 get a 4.0)

Course Score: (16.75 of 20 points)

Looks

Much like the other testers I was very worried about the general size of the irons, the thickness of the top line, the offset, the blade length, etc…  The Black NI finish helps hide the overall size of the blade – I don't feel as though it looks as long (it is pretty long) due to the finish.  I keep going back to my old comparison in size of the Apex Edge Pro's in size and shape.  The offset of the irons, while it is more than I am used to playing, is not appalling in size and or to the overall shape of the iron. 

Overall the JPX-EZ is a very handsome iron that while you know you are playing with a Game Improvement iron with technology and forgiveness, you also know that you are not playing with a shovel.  The triple grind sole of these irons also helps with their looks making them look smaller (in your bag) than a wide sole. 

Looks Score: (17 of 20 points)

Sound and Feel

The JPX-EZ Forged Irons are not Mizuno buttery soft goodness that melts like a pad of butter on a hot ear of corn.  They are more comparable to something with a little more texture and feel.  I wouldn't say that these irons are a click or squish, but rather solid and a softer feeling than you would expect from a GI iron, but Thick and Solid.  They feel softer than they play.  The irons themselves feel SOLID – especially on shots that are flushed and hit hard.  This is pretty consistent across the face, as lot of mishits are not punished with a stinging feel or a severe loss of distance. 

Are they MP-33's or an old set of Ben Hogan blades – nope – but by no means is the feel bad and or unplayable.  It is a solid thick feel as opposed to soft buttery goodness.

Sound and Feel Score: (17 of 20 points)

Likelihood of Purchase

How likely would you be to purchase this product?

Under most circumstances the JPX-Ex's would not have been on my 2016 TRY list for irons – if I had been in the market for a new set.  That being said – the irons need some consideration from everyone in the expected handicap range that isn't working on their game 5 days a week in trying to get the most that they can out of an iron. 

After playing around with these irons they need some more time on the range and the course, but I do feel that they should be on most Mid-Handicap (10-15) players TRY list.  They may not be the perfect iron for you, but they do wrap the technology up in a nice little playable package.   

LOP Score: (13 of 20 points)

Overall the JPX-EZ Forged has left me wanting more.  They want more time on the range, they want more time on the course.  I need more time to decide if they are truly better for me than my TM TP 2014's.  I look forward to playing more with them and trying to get a better feel as to their future. 

So far it has been a fun ride – with the exception of the jumpers and fliers, and I look forward to seeing if they will make the bag on a permanent basis!  If I had an important round tomorrow – I am not sure if they make the bag, but they are trying to make it because of how easy the long irons are to hit.  Now I just need to dial everything else in.

Total Score: (80.75 – by no means is this a bad or failing grade for these irons)

IMG_4410.JPG

Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Stage 3 Review

1.    Will this product go in your bag? Why or why not?

Well it is with a heavy heart that the JPX-EZ irons will not be making my bag on a permanent basis.  These irons offered a lot of the features that I thought that I was looking for in an iron, but at the end of the day the size and chunkiness of the irons was not about to unseat my 2014 TP's.  My first round back with the TP's I was back to being comfortable with flight, distance and control – 3 things that I struggled mightily with the JPX'EZ's.  I think if I were to start the process from the ground up and go get properly fit for a set of Mizuno irons I would have been more likely to fit into the MP-25's and or the JPX850's rather than the JPX.  I think that may be my biggest regret from this was not going and getting properly fit for the irons.

2.    To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this product? Why?

For me I think that I would recommend these to someone who needs and or wants to play a game improvement iron.  I may NEED one with how little golf I am playing, but my eyes won't let me get comfortable with these.   In fairness I think that these would be great for a mid (( (10-15) handicapper that isn't looking for an all-out shove to play with, but something that is more of a moderate to midsized iron.  If these weren't spec'd out with 6.5's and added length I would most likely pass them off to my father to replace his Ping i3 blades, but they are too customed to me to pass to him. 

3.    How, if at all, did this product change your overall impression of Mizuno?

To me the JPX-EZ shows the versatility of the Mizuno brand.  Everyone knows how good their players irons are and the legendary feel of a Mizuno iron.  This is a great gateway iron for players who didn't think that they had the game to play Mizuno to step into the brand.  Mizuno is a legendary brand – there is nothing that can change that in my mind. 

4.    What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

As others have said – the NAME.  There is such a difference between the Forged JPX-EZ and the cast JPX-EZ that they really should not share the same name.  I think the EZ probably scares off better players and makes higher handicappers think that they can play them.  They really should just be the JPX Forged – the irons are good enough to stand on their own without having to share a name. I also would try and figure out a way to maybe make the distances and feel a little more uniform across the face – to try and eliminate jumpers and fliers. 

5.    What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

I really like the look of the finish and the overall presentation of the irons – I would continue with the look and feel of the iron – I think that a differentiation in the name would be the best thing that could happen to these irons.  I also think that there is too much overlap in the Mizuno iron category – JPX850 Forged, JPX850, JPX EZ Forged, JPX-EZ.  You could most likely get by without the cast JPX850 and these would call nicely in line as the JPX. 

Thank you very much to Mizuno Golf USA and MyGolfSpy for the opportunity to play these irons.  It was a pleasure and I hope that I answered everyone's questions.  Please feel free to ask anything you want and I will try my best to answer.  

IMG_1317.JPG

Stage 1

“What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.”

-William Shakespeare

True, but tell your Valentine that you got her some “EZ Roses” and see how that works out for you.

The name JPX EZ Forged is cumbersome and not sexy, and to make matters worse, it is not even original to these irons. This name was used for these irons, now called the JPX EZ Forged 2014.

JPX-EZ-Forged-1.jpg

I have a friend that when I told him I was getting a set of these to test, he said, "I have a set in my garage you can test all you want. They are ugly and bulky, what more do you want to know." Of course when he later said he did not like the orange on them, I knew we were talking about two different clubs. The JPX EX Forged 2014 were, like their name, cumbersome and bulky.

HOWEVER, these new irons the JPX EX Forged ARE NOT cumbersome and ARE sexy.

45.jpg

About me

Handicap/average score: high 70's low 80's

Strengths of your game: putting and short game and course management

Weakness of your game: mental and low ball flight

Typical ball flight: mid-low draw

Typical miss: pull hook

How long have I been golfing: I have been playing for over 30 years, just not well. I now play 3 times a week, but a couple of years ago I was able to play every day.

Current comparable equipment: While I have newer clubs, my favorite for many years have been the Mizuno MP33's.

I have customized my iron shaft lengths so that there is more consistent yardage gaps throughout the set. I have made a spreadsheet that allows me to estimate the yardage of a club based on loft and length based on a formula I have come up with. This has turned out to be very accurate for me, so I cut these shafts accordingly. My experience is that the longer irons do not have the same yardage gaps as the shorter irons, so my 8-P have ½” gaps and the 4-7 have ¾” gaps and the 2-3 have a full 1” gap.

Notes on the fitting

This is the part where I am supposed to tell you about my wonderful fitting experience with an authorized Mizuno Fitter. However, they did not have one in my area. But the PGA Superstore is supposedly one of the number 1 Mizuno fitters in the US, so I went there.

After a very cordial greeting and salutation with the fitter, I explained that I was getting a set of JPX EZ Forged irons from Mizuno and needed to be fit for the shafts and had never hit those heads. He said, “So you are not buying anything here?” I said no, and he said, “There's the Mizuno cart, go ahead.”

So I proceeded to hit every conceivable combination of shafts. After looking at the numbers, I decided to stick with the stock XP95 in R300 flex. This combo felt awesome in the store and that was what I ultimately based my decision on..

My Expectations: Based on the Grain Flow Forged 1025 Boron being 30% stronger for adding distance and the Ultra CNC Pocket Cavity in the 7 and longer irons and the POWER FRAME Forgiveness and the Triple Cut Sole coupled with the True Temper XP95 shaft adding 6-8 yards in robot testing, my expectations are high. Both these claims together would mean 12-18 yards per club.

(I will address all of these in more detail during my review of playing these irons.)

As I stated earlier, I have customized the length of my irons. So taking into account that these irons have been engineered to give consistent yardage gaps, and the distance gains claimed by the shafts and the club heads, I estimated that I would gain 7% distance by going to this club and shaft combination.

If I were to achieve this distance gain and kept my new irons the same length as my old irons, I would basically have the 4 and 5 iron hitting the same distance as my 2-3 MP FLI HI's. Not only that but I would have a large gap between my 8 and 7 iron.

After playing around with my spreadsheet and shaft lengths and expected gains, I decided to go with the stock shaft lengths, and my hope is that I gain accuracy and consistency. These are the numbers I expect to achieve.

Chart1.jpg

If I get close to these distances, I will be ecstatic, and if I get the old distances, but with higher ball flight and more consistency and greater accuracy I will also be pleased. So once again, I went with standard everything on these irons but the grips.

The grips I choose were the Golf Pride Multi-Compound Plus 4 Mid-Size in Grey.

Overall looks

I am a huge Mizuno fan and think the double chromed blades. The MP5's are absolutely beautiful and look more like jewelry than golf clubs. Unlike the JPX EZ Forged (2014) with their orange plastic back, thick top line, large offset, and a sole that looks like it will stand up by itself that looks bad. These MoFo's look BAD!

IMG_1380.JPG

Like Stealth Fighter type of BAD.

They are beautiful. The Black Ni finish looks awesome. I have a whole stealth fighter squadron in my bag to call on while golfing.

Who cares if the top line is slightly wider than a blade! I have played blades for years and don't even notice it. As for the offset, while they have twice as much as the MP33, these still have half the offset of the TMag Tour Preferred MB. The sole is not overly wide. And the plastic in the back does not look like plastic at all. Size wise, this iron is roughly the same size as a Ping S-series and that is considered a “player's irons” not a GI iron.

Like the Stealth Fighter, there is a lot of technology packing under the black finish.

CNC Slot.jpg

Here is a shot of the Ultra CNC Cavity Pocket. It is almost as hard to see when the club is in your hand as it is in this picture.

No Slot 8.JPG

And here is another shot of one of the clubs without it. This is in no way noticeable at anytime during play.

Furthermore, I will say I have played several rounds with them, and whatever I may have thought about the offset and top line when I first opened the box, or hit them at the store, has since been forgotten.

This is not only my opinion, but the guy that has the JPX EZ Forged (2014) I referenced at the beginning has since looked at these. His comment when he looked at them was, “These are not like the ones I have at all.” His comment after hitting them was, “Trade ya!”

I look forward to covering the new technologies in the head, shafts, and even the grips soon.

Thanks for reading this and thanks MyGolfSpy staff and Mizuno for allowing me to participate.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

JPX EZ Forged State 2 Review
                 By RoverRick

From 2008 until 2014, because of my work, I was able to play golf at 3:00 every day. This was mostly practice rounds, but on bad weather days I at least made practice swings, hit wiffle balls, or practiced pitching and putting. I became a member of the forums in 2011. My work changed in 2014, and while I could not play every day, I was still able to play 3 days a week, and I practiced putting almost every day, mostly on hotel room carpet.

In March of this year two things happened. I was selected to take part in this club review, and I changed jobs and currently can only play one day a week at best. This should change again in June, so this is not a “woe is me, I can't play golf”. I still get to play one day a week, weather permitting, which is probably as much or more than most golfers. I explained all this simply to explain the lack of empirical data to support the statements I am about to make.

In Stage 1 I was just getting to know these irons. After Stage 1, I had planned on at least recording my distances hit with each iron every time by using my Mobitee phone app. However, I have only gone to the course twice since then, and one time, it was a muddy mess with a 25-30 mph wind. Last Sunday was the first time since I have had these clubs that the weather was warm and dry with not much wind. I hit 14/18 GIR with these irons. As a matter of fact in the 54 holes in two trips to the course I have played since writing the Stage 1 segment, I had three scores between 75-78. That's not bad considering that I did not touch a club for three weeks before the first one, nor did I between rounds. I did not step foot on the driving range before the rounds either.

I attribute this to two things. The first was I realized I had not practiced so I focused on the fundamentals and set up and made three practice swings before I actually pulled the trigger and hit the ball.  The other thing is as much as I hate the name, these damned JPX EZ Forged irons are easy to hit.

tech-diagram-jpxez-forged2.png

The Features, Advantages and Benefits of the Science

Months ago, Mizuno sent GolfSpy T a tiny ingot of Boron in an effort to generate some buzz for this technology. This was not the first time I had heard of Boron. That was 30 years ago in college in Engineering 207-Metallic Materials. I thought of Dr. Bertrand and his explanation.

I was barely 20 at the time, and he seemed to be pushing 90. He walked into class, said his first words at precisely 8 am, and finished his last word at precisely 9:30. He spoke in a monotone with all the excitement of the time reader of the Atomic Clock at the Naval Observatory. He wore his pants almost to his chest, a short sleeve white shirt, a bow tie, and a pocket protector and he would start every class telling you what he was going to teach us, and finish it will a summary of what he did teach us.
Boron.jpg
“Good morning to you. During this period of instruction we will discuss the microstructure of steel  and the formation of Austinite, Martensite, Bianite, Pearlite and Ferrite and the effects on these different structures at different temperature above 723*C and below 1500*C by adding different alloying elements to the steel such as chromium, molybdenum, boron, and beryllium….”

Ok, I'm sure you are as interested in that as I was back then.

All I really care about with these clubs is, “Did Mizuno create a “game enhancement club” or “distance club” that is easy to hit and still retain the feel that I have come to love with the MP33's and subsequent models of “player's irons?”

YES! They did.

Did they meet my expectations? (from Stage 1)

“My Expectations: Based on the Grain Flow Forged 1025 Boron being 30% stronger for adding distance and the Ultra CNC Pocket Cavity in the 7 and longer irons and the POWER FRAME Forgiveness and the Triple Cut Sole coupled with the True Temper XP95 shaft adding 6-8 yards in robot testing, my expectations are high. Both these claims together would mean 12-18 yards per club.”

Chart1.jpg

Since I ordered these with the standard XP95 shaft, I feel justified in not separating the head and the shaft and review this as a complete club. Keep in mind that the shafts on these clubs are much shorter than on my old clubs, yet I do get the distance I was expecting.

Performance
Short Irons.jpg
Short Iron Performance (9, PW & GW)

These were the clubs that took the most adjustment for me. I actually dropped a club at the top of the bag and now have 4 wedges rather than just 3. I am still tinkering with this but after some initial struggles; I am now confident with these two wedges from certain distances and have two old trusty wedges for other yardages. The only reason these do not get the full points is that I lack confidence with them because of lack of practice with them.

Accuracy:  I assumed that because of the offset that I would pull these irons more so on misses than my older blades. This is not the case at all. It could be the oversized grips but these things go where you aim them. On the par 3 fourth hole on my course, I almost always pulled my tee shot left this is no longer the case with these.
Distance: The distance is consistent. The actual length does not matter as much as the fact that when I hit a 100 yard shot, I need 100 yards. Not 95-105. In the past clubs like TMag Burner 2.0's would not give me the same distance twice in a row. With these they are much like a blade in terms of consistent distances. They also are meet my expectations in terms of desired distance on full shots. And most importantly on chips they do not have an overly hot face that causes the ball to shoot off and roll way passed the hole.
Trajectory: The ball gets up into the air very quickly with a high flight, then drops softly to the green and I can carry the ball to the hole with confidence that it will be within a couple of feet of where it hits..
Forgiveness: The biggest difference between these and blade irons is that a hit high on the face is much better than with a blade.
Control: This is one of the most surprising areas for me. It is very easy to control the ball flight with these. I can flight them down or up or left or right and most importantly, I can control the distance and roll.

Short Iron Score: (90 of 100)

MidIrons.jpg

Mid Iron Performance (6, 7, 8)

For me mid-irons are not just about full shots but ½ and ¾ shots as well. Case in point, I was 100 yards from the flag on number 3 Sunday. While we could not feel any wind on the ground, I could tell by everyone else's ball flight that there was a pretty strong wind coming right at us but up high. I told my cart partner who had just hit and came up short, that I needed to keep the ball out of the wind. So I hit a waist high 7 iron that stayed low and carried to the front of the green and hopped a couple of times before stopping 10' from the flag.

Accuracy: When I miss with these, it is not the club's fault. Like the short irons, they pretty much go where you aim them.
Distance:  I am not only achieving the expected distance with these, I am achieving much more consistent distance with these. Like I said in the earlier paragraph, I also get very dependable distances out of partial shots.
Trajectory:  On normal shots I am getting a high ball flight that will bounce once or twice and stop. I am normally within 5 feet of my pitch mark on the green.
Forgiveness: Once again, the biggest difference in these and a blade is the forgiveness high on the face. They do not make up for a poor swing, but they sure as heck coverup a poor lie.
Control: I have been able to shape shots, either way or high and low depending on the situation.

Mid Iron Score: (99 of 100)

LongIrons.jpg
Long Iron Performance (4, 5)

Here was the biggest test for me. To get the required distance on my old irons, I was adding approximately 1 ½” to the shaft length to these two clubs. Since conventional wisdom is that the longer the club shaft the less accurate it becomes, I probably have been suffering some missed greens because of this.

Accuracy: This 4 and 5 stay straight but I alway try to hit either a fade or a draw with these clubs. Generally, when hitting these clubs I am setting up for the next shot, and while it is awesome then I hit it near the flag, I am wanting to make sure I avoid a penalty for trying to much.
Distance:  As I stated earlier, I am getting slightly longer distance from these irons and the shafts are much shorter. There is no doubt in my mind that I could have ordered these with longer shafts and gotten even more distance, but these are not drivers. I don't need irons I can hit 300 yards, not that I can hit my driver 300 yards without concrete and a tailwind. I want and get dependable distance on full shots, and while I do not do it often, these also give me dependable partial shot distance.           
Trajectory:  The 4 and 5 is still higher than my old irons and will generally take a big hop and then bounce to a stop. They do not roll out too much but then they don't  stop like a wedge either..
Forgiveness:  Once again, my misses are generally caused by swing path errors, and these go where you aim them. But they are very forgiving on bad lies.
Control:  Once again, these irons are surprisingly maneuverable in the left or right and high and low direction.

Long Iron Score: (96 of 100)

Performance Notes

Like I said in the beginning I only have with the irons that was not affected by the weather was last Sunday. I was two under after 10 holes and then a drive into the woods leading to even after 11. Then miss 5 short putts on the last 5 holes leading to a 77, including a triple bogey on the last hole. I had one mis-swing with the irons all day and that was the last hole, trying to make up for lost opportunities.

Total Performance Score: (averages to 96 out of 100)

AllIrons.jpg
Subjective

Looks

Yeah, they have more offset than I like, but these things look cool. The top line is not an issue to me anymore, and the offset shouldn't make a difference but it is one of the reasons they are not getting full points.  The other reason is I am still not over the name, and since it is printed on the back, I am counting against the looks. Five points each.

Looks Score: (90 of 100)

Sound and Feel

Last Sunday on the second hole my cart partner said after I hit my approach shot, “That sounded like a ripe watermelon, you crushed that ball.” Back in 2009 Mizuno made a video called “the sound of feel”.

As I said in the earlier portion, these simply sound and feel wonderfully.

Sound and Feel Score: (100 of 100)

Likelihood of Purchase (LOP)

This is an area that I have been giving some thought. How likely was I to purchase these irons? No, I would not have tried these, nor even given them a second thought. If the question is “Will you keep these in your bag?” The answer is “Hell yeah!” But would I have given these a try on my own dime? No. These are awesome irons, but I was so turned off by the name and the offset, I did not give them a second glance at the store and seriously considered not signing up for the free test. Now, I am glad I did. I am giving them 20 points but only because they are such great clubs. I would also recommend them, just would not have bought them.

LOP Score: (20 of 100)

Subjective Notes

These irons look and feel awesome, however, subjective means that we take into account our preconceived notions. Obviously, based on my personal prejudices I would have missed out on testing and now owning a great set of irons. Marketing matters and in this case the marketing department screwed up by labeling these irons with the name of a previous iron that was a big turn off for many people who I have spoken with. Ford brought back the name “Thunderbird” because that car was a success. They did not bring back the name “Edsel”. 

Total Subjective Score: (average of 73 of 100)

All Clubs SB.jpg

Conclusion

Mizuno claims to have made an iron for an 8 to 18 handicapper. These certainly fit the bill, but they could be great for a 2 to 8 handicapper also. Especially since many people find themselves in a situation similar to mine right now. It is all I can do to get to the course once a week, and I certainly don't want to spend that one day making bad contact with an unforgiving club. On the other hand, they missed the mark in the naming process. I can get over the offset but didn't even look at the offset because of the name.  These clubs are so much better than an 85. 

Total Score: (85)

The Five Questions:

1. Will this iron go in your bag? Why or why not?

Absolutely, these will be in my bag for a while. As I am unable to practice regularly, I will keep them.

2. Who, if anyone, would you recommend this iron? Why?

I would recommend them to an 8 to 18 as Mizuno did, but also to a lower handicapper who can not practice with any regularity.

3. How, if at all, did this iron change your overall impression of Mizuno?

I have always been a Mizuno fan and have played their MP series for many years, but the JPX series is a very nice club. I already knew that the naming of clubs was a problem. Just type in FLI HI on eBay and you see several Mizuno clubs that look nothing like each other.

4. What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

Let's see, I might consider changing the name to something like Alfred. Can't be worse.

5. What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

The engineers hit a homerun with this iron. I have heard many people complain about distance gapping being an issue with some irons. I know on blades the long irons didn't go as far and on some brands there was a gap between the 8 and the 7 iron. This one was a seamless transition from the CNC milled slot to those without the slot.

Stage Three-Placeholder

Stage 1

First, I want to thank the MGS staff for this opportunity. This has been a great experience so far just because it has forced me to take a serious look at my own game.

About me

There were a lot of comments in the tester-selection thread about knowing more about the tester's game. I hope this helps.

Handicap/average score: high 70's low 80's

Strengths of your game: irons and full swing approach shots

Weakness of your game: driving and less than full swing shots, no mental game

Typical ball flight: high draw

Typical miss: straight block

Current comparable equipment: Maxfli revolution black dot (4-P) with TT S300 shafts, standard loft, lie, grip, no (minimal) offest. These irons are not forged but they do have excellent feel and they really work for me. They were not fit to me, but based on my fitting you will see that I am not very far from standard equipment.

How long have you been golfing: Played 4 times a week in high school and then only about 4 times a year for the last 15 years.

The Swing: Here are three videos of my swing taken using a 6-iron (31*) from 175 yards to a slightly elevated green on hole 15 of Veenker Memorial Golf Course in Ames, IA. My swing is too long (will work on this after the review) – any pros on here who want to point anything else out? ;)

1)    From behind at normal speed

2)    From behind using iPhone slow-mo. I was not going to include this one because I catch it pretty fat, but after the Masters I can say that my chunked 6-iron made the green at least (sorry Jordan, too soon?).

3)    From the front. It is difficult to tell what the shaft is doing because of the rolling shutter effect. 

*** If the video does not play, please try a different browser ***

rolling shutter.jpg

In an effort to inform you guys about what kind of shots I hit, I went a little data crazy and conducted two experiments:

1)    The very helpful and generous staff at Ames GolfUSA let me camp out with their Skytrak. I hit 13 shots with Prov1 balls and my current Maxfli 6-iron (31*) and recorded all the data.

2)    I then camped out 175 yards from hole 15 (slightly elevated) at Veenker Memorial Golf Course in Ames, IA. I hit 15 shots with Prov1 balls and my Maxfli 6-iron (31*) and recorded the dispersion pattern shown below. I also set my camera up with a view of the green and recorded the whole session. I then watched it at home and recorded the total yards from initial ball mark to the ball coming to rest. *Edit after posting - the numbering in the real course dispersion data does not reflect my order of shots, but the order in which I picked them up. I will correct this for my Mizuno review to reflect my real shot-to-shot consistency. The numbering in the skytrak dispersion data does reflect the order of shots 1 to 13 like in the above graphs.

The data from these experiments is below (click to enlarge).

FINAL data.png

As you can see from the data I am generally pin high. This fits with my typical golf game experience. Without exception, misses left were hooks, misses right were straight blocks. In general, my iron game is very consistent (I rarely miss on full swings with 8-iron and shorter).

I plan to repeat these exact experiments after playing with the Mizunos to compare.

Notes on the fitting

I was most excited about this product review because it would be my first fitting for any club in the bag. We were initially going to do the fitting with a trackman in a hitting bay, but the weather in Iowa was very chilly all Spring except for the day of my fitting. It was 60 degrees and partly sunny. No way was I swinging anywhere but in the outdoors. This meant I had to forgo the data-rich swing analysis and go completely by feel and ball flight based on range balls. I will leave it up to the MGS community to tell me if this was a huge mistake.

I posted near identical numbers with the Mizuno shaft analyzer. My fitter, Matt Geschke, said that was not often the case (unfortunately I did not keep the numbers – my bad). My swing speed was 88-90 mph.

I was fit into KBS X 130g soft stepped, +1/4” length, standard lie, grip. This likely explains why I played off the rack equipment for so long. I had never really noticed anything mis-matched with my swing. My understanding is that KBS X is not too different from the S300 currently in my Maxfli irons.

Overall the fitting was really fast because I was so standard. We tried a couple shafts that were close to the Mizuno shaft analyzer's selection, but they launched too high. The KBS gave a nice penetrating ball flight. On a side note, Mizuno is offering no upcharges on shafts or grips. I don't know if this is standard policy but it is a nice touch.

I am still in contact with the fitter so if you have any questions that you feel I did not answer please let me know.

The Mizuno JPX EZ Forged are now in my possession and I will be filling in the final review over the next few weeks. Stages 2 and 3.

A few aesthetic notes are provided below and I tried to highlight features that are not easily grasped from other photos already online.

Overall looks

First off, I think these clubs have a great lux look to them.

I am definitely someone who is attracted to classic players blades with minimal plastic badges, but these do not look like other chunky game improvement clubs. While revkev could likely tell us of the divine origins of the Mizzie MP5, I have no business playing those—despite striping a few on the practice range—divine indeed. While the topline is a little thicker than I would initially be attracted to, it is not much thicker than the MP25. The length of the club head is also only slightly longer. I recall someone on this forum saying that we should play the most game improvement club we can stand the sight of. I don't think these clubs will take much effort to get used to.

The CNC milled mircro-slot stops at the 7 iron—8 iron to Gap do not have it.

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

The triple cut sole is on all irons. The 4 iron has a slightly wider sole and smoothly transitions to a thinner 8 iron. From there the sole widens again with higher lofted clubs (9-PW-G)

IMG_2290 (1).jpg

Please let me know if you want anything else addressed. I am happy to answer any questions. Thanks again MGS!

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Mizuno JPX EZ Forged irons – Official MGS Forum Review by chemclub

Intro

As I mentioned in my stage 1, I have always been attracted to really minimal players irons. I am wise enough to know that full muscle back blades probably aren't appropriate for a weekend golfer, but I surely couldn't give up on a player's cavity back. Forgiveness is king these days and everyone told me I should be playing the most forgiving club possible despite the fact that a large part of my game is based on loo-k-ing goo-awd. I was excited about the potential of these irons but I was not expecting to like them…

IMG_2383.jpg

Performance evaluation

I am not a really big range guy. I really don't like beating balls and hitting the same club 20 times (despite what the data below might suggest). A small bucket is too much for me. So the score I will assign below (out of 40) encompasses my playing and practice with the JPX. 

Everything I will discuss below relates to data I obtained performing the same experiments I described in Stage 1. 

1)    The very helpful and generous staff at Ames GolfUSA let me camp out with their skytracker. I hit 13 shots with Prov1 balls and the JPX EZ forged 7-iron (32*, 1 degree weaker than my current 6-iron) and recorded all the data. 

2)    I then camped out 170 yards from hole 15 (slightly elevated) at Veenker Memorial Golf Course in Ames, IA. I hit 15 shots with Prov1 balls and the JPX EZ Forged 7-iron (32*) and recorded the dispersion pattern shown below. I didn't bother with the camera by the green to record stopping power.

Distance

From the Skytrak data below and play on the course, I can confidently say that these irons are not producing added distance over my current, non-techy irons (distance averages are basically the same for both clubs. The 7-iron is 1 degree weaker and I had to walk 5 paces closer to the green to record the real-world shot dispersion). I actually think this is a really good thing. Unlike with your driver, you don't want a sudden 10-yard explosion when you hit the sweet spot. Instead you want irons to give consistent yardage every singe shot. 

However, these irons do deliver in the distance category on off center hits – keep reading...

7iron.png

Accuracy

My dispersal patterns were pretty similar between the JPX when compared with my current Maxflis. The added offset did lead to some strong hooks at times. I am going to drop a pretty big bomb here... When you put a good swing on it and make good contact, the ball goes where you aimed. Buuuut if you make a bad swing or strike the ball poorly, then you MISS your target! Come on Mizuno! Well, if we can't have an iron that hits the ball for us, can we make sure our overall distance is consistent so we can at least be confident that we are pin high? Keep reading...

Forgiveness

These clubs do not hit the ball any further than probably any other iron of the same loft available. However, they do offer great off-center forgiveness. To get you folks some hard numbers on what this forgiveness means, I camped out in the Skytrak with impact stickers and made some shots. Some really bad shots! So much so I was having fun just slashing at the ball. See below!

off center.jpg

offcenterdata.jpg

I apologize that this thing is turning into a bit of a data dump, but I will give you my impressions of the off-center data above.

All shots made with the JPX EZ Forged 6-iron 28*

i)    shots hit dead center (1,2,7) produce great results as expected.

ii)  As shots get further and further from the center there is no noticeable drop off in distance. I measured an average of 195 +/- 7 yards. That is fantastic! The worst shot (14) was hit pretty far out on the toe but I might still be putting! (assuming all of my mishits aren't too far off target)

iii)    Pretty consistent ball speeds and back spin too!

iv)    Now, a little reality check is in order, because we haven't looked at the “yards off line” column yet. Yeah, ouch. It's important to point out that I was trying to hit off center and simply lining up on the tow or heel didn't really work. My superior athletic ability (amiright) subconsciously corrected the swing and allowed me to hit it pretty close to center. So I was trying different versions of bad swings to hit the ball all over the face. The result was that some shots were just sprayed every which way. I am going to assume that when you play golf you are not deliberately trying to make bad swings, but are trying to hit a consistent shot. Even your misses should be pin high assuming you don't catch them fat.

Bottom line: these irons will not correct for bad direction on bad swings, but we all probably knew that. These irons will not straighten your slice or correct the 40 yard block you just hit. They will send the ball the intended distance though, and the direction of that distance is up to you. Overall, I am very impressed with the consistent distance these offer even on extreme heel and toe hits, which means you should have more chances to be pin high and get up and down to save par.

My fitter gave me the following stats concerning the JPX EZ Forged compared with other irons in the category. Indeed, it would appear that the JPX EZ Forged do not even have a sweet spot but rather an entire sweet area to strike the ball with. This claim may not be out of line given my tests above, but remember that the numbers below were provided by Mizuno.

2016 JPX EZ Forged

13% larger sweet area than PING G30

23% larger sweet area than Callaway XR Series

29% larger sweet area than Taylor Made RS1

65% larger sweet area than Callaway Apex

71% larger sweet area than Titleist AP2

Control and shot shaping

I need to preface this by saying that I am not someone who prizes working the ball. If I could hit the exact same flight on every shot I would be thrilled, totally fine with punching out (which I wouldn't need to do if I hit every shot the exact same flight). I think any info I give on workability is really specific to my game and should not be taken as a true reflection of what these irons are capable of. 

That being said I was able to hit fades and slices with the longer irons when I needed to get around trees (my typically flight is a draw). There was no noticeable loss in distance and I even hit the green on occasion. I did not try many “shape shots” with the shorter irons. 

Spin and stopping power

I was most skeptical about what kind of spin could be produced with a “distance iron”. I was relieved to find that I really didn't notice much difference in spin. In general, I could make balls dance with 8 iron and below and one hop and stop my 7 and 6 iron. Probably not enough greens hit with the 5 and 4 to comment. It all comes down to this: if I struck the ball cleanly, I could hold the green. Amazing how that works.

Other performance markers

The club head and sole width are larger than a player's iron and give immediate and gut-punching feedback on fat shots. It is still taking me time to get use to the chunkier look of the short irons. I honestly had to learn to just swing normally (as silly as that sounds) and I am slowly coming around to them. I have had no luck chipping with the Gap wedge (50*). Although it was early in the season on hard greens, I can't bring myself around to trust it again.  

Another note on sole width, I initially did notice a different turf interaction. I don't want to say a heavy or slow turf interaction, just different. I think the tri-cut sole performs admirably. 

The lofts are what I would consider strong (a full club stronger). However, the 7 iron loft is 32* which is actually weaker than other irons in the same GI category.

Taylormade Rsi 1 – 30*

Taylormade Rsi 2 – 31*

Callaway XR – 30*

Callaway Apex – 31*

PING GMAX – 30.5*

PING G30 – 30.5*

Titleist AP1 – 31*

Overall performance score = 35/40

Subjective evaluation

Overall looks

I am certainly not alone among my other MGS reviewers in thinking that these clubs look great. They simply do. I really like the dark bronze metal finish, and the sparkly plastic badge looks really professional and attractive. That's right, I said sparkly plastic badge. I really don't like plastic badges to start with, and if you had told me I was going to be hitting a GI iron with sparkly plastic badge I might have just said pass. Sparkles? Is nothing sacred? But maybe it is because I am the father of two young, princess-obsessed girls, (one of whom lists sparkles among her favorite colors) but these clubs look classy.

They do have a strong offset, which didn't really take long to get used to in terms of my ball flight. I have to say that I still feel comfortable with a no offset club (purely subjective).

I listed some distinguishing features regarding sole width and the milled cavity in Stage 1.

Sschaffer24 asked specifically about how things look at address. Below is the address position with the whole Mizuno line up. Obviously, the JPX do have a thicker top line, but I was able to adjust to the long irons pretty easily. Still working on the short irons.

address.jpg

Wear and tear

So how long does this beautiful black/bronze finish last? Not long. Below is a picture of the 7-iron (a club I have probably hit most often). The bronze finish gives way to smoky grey metal underneath. You do not notice it at address and I really only looked for it when it came time to write this review. At the end of the day, these are metal stick thingies we use to hit balls out of the dirt. The finish will wear, but it shouldn't really bother you.

Subjective looks = 18/20, but could be 20/20 depending on your taste.

IMG_2374.jpg

Sounds and feel

This is my first time playing Mizuno and, believe it or not, my first time playing forged clubs. When you strike these on the center they have a nice solid feel and the ball rockets off the face. I never noticed the sound, which I think is a good thing. The overall feel of on-center hits is better than my current non-forged irons. I think the feel is not quite as good as if you were hitting a true muscleback blade with a lot of mass behind the ball, but that's physics.

The CNC milled cavity is not in the short irons (8-iron through Gap wedge) and I was happy to find that I did not notice a difference in feel from the mid to short irons. 

So here we come to where I think the impressive forgiveness of these irons might be a partial turn off for me. If you hit the center, you know it. You feel it. If you don't hit the center, you really do not know how far off of the center you are. In my forgiveness test above, all I could have told you after hitting the ball was that it was not center. I could usually feel a toe vs heel strike, but as for how far off it was, I really did not have a sense of it until I looked at the tape. The sound of the shot was not a good indicator either. For some people this will be a huge plus! For me, it was a bit of a concern.

I am just starting to play more than a few rounds per year and looking to improve my game. To me, off center feedback is an asset for improving. I welcome criticism from anyone who believes this thinking is just wrong. Can too much forgiveness ever hurt your game?

Sound and feel score = 15/20

Likelihood of purchase 

I have played the same irons for 15 years. I trust them. I know them. The purchase of new irons is difficult for me.

I have shot between a 77 and 87 over 6 rounds with these clubs. They produce excellent ball flight because of the properly fitted shafts. I have fallen in and out and in and out of love with these clubs as I have played them. This is in contrast to my current set of irons that I trust with my life, but that is because my current irons and I have spent so much time together. I take a while to trust equipment, but I am finally convinced that when these clubs produce bad results, its not them, its me. Most of you probably already knew that.

I would not have initially considered these clubs as an option but I think even really skilled players would like some of the features that these irons offer. They do not look and play like clunky game improvement clubs I have hit over the years.

Likelihood of purchase = 15/20

Total score 83/100, but let's be honest, go out and give these irons a fair chance and see what you think.

The Five

1.    Will this product go in your bag? Why or why not?

Unfortunately, No. I have since gone back to my old irons. This is likely due to my comfort and execution with them. While I am a 10 handicap, I strike my irons like a low single digit handicapper. I lose all of my strokes with errant driving and short-game/putting. When my game is on around the greens, I can shoot 70's (which is fine for a guy who plays once or twice every couple weeks). My irons are the best part of my game. I can hit the JPX well, but I usually didn't feel comfortable. I think the look of the JPX just doesn't fit my eye. My issues with the JPX are largely mental.

2.    To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this product? Why?

I would recommend these irons to everyone and especially higher handicappers (>15). They get the ball in the air and are easy to hit. I am currently loaning the set to a 80's/90's player who has been playing AP2 and struggling (Speith hits AP2 btw). He has been really enthusiastic about them.

3.    How, if at all, did this product change your overall impression of Mizuno?

I had always heard great things about Mizuno and they have lived up to that praise. The technology and features in these irons make them really friendly but still playable for better players. Spin and hold was still there, albeit not as much as players blade.

4.    What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

I think these irons, considering their target audience, are almost perfect. Myself, I would prefer a thinner top line and sole in general, but that is subjective and also might affect some of the forgiveness tech that have been put into these irons. To admit my biases, I think "distance tech" is mostly hogwash. However, these irons will probably play longer because of the consistent distance and flight on off center hits

5.    What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

Looks are great!

Forgiveness is very impressive -- as stated, you sacrifice a bit of feel because of that. You need to make the best call for your game. You won't receive as much feedback for where on the face the ball was struck, but it will launch the same distance. 

I think the tri-cut sole does what it intends for good turf interaction.

I realized a neglected a question in the Stage 1 part of the review about how and why I got started in golf. This recent thread reminded me 

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/15533-when-and-why-did-you-start-playing-golf/

My dad tells it that I went along with him when I was 5. He said he striped a long divot out of the ground on a wedge shot and I tore after the divot and held it up like a trophy fish and examined it. He said he had never seen me show any kind of interest/focus in anything sports related before that point. (To this day we both take >8 inch long divots with our wedges).

It wasn't until I was older that I actually started playing. First in a few city golf camps over the summer and then became a junior member at a couple different courses before and during high school. I was never good enough to make the high school team (we had some really good players), and really, I never had a good swing until college even though I played WAY less in those days.

I bought my first set with my own money when I was ~10, a complete set of Northwesterns from Canadian Tire (custom fitting?). After that I only had one set of ProbeGT component irons before buying my current irons. Woods have come and gone. Anyone play the Tommy Mann Burner Bumbers? 

What got me hooked? I'm sure it is not a unique story. That one shot, long ago, that was struck so purely it hung in the air forever. I would hit 100 more shots just to get that feeling back—the insistent quest to hit every shot pure.

Sweet area data for other Mizuno models

My fitter provided me the same sweet area data for all of the Mizuno line up. I include it below in case you are interested. Provided by Mizuno so take it for what it is worth.

2016 JPX EZ Forged

13% larger sweet area than PING G30

65% larger sweet area than Callaway Apex

71% larger sweet area than Titleist AP2

MP-25

17% larger sweet area than Callaway Apex Pro

20% larger sweet area than Titleist AP2

MP-15

6% larger sweet area than Callaway Apex Pro

9% larger sweet area than Titleist AP2

31% larger sweet area than Titleist 714CB

MP-H5

8% larger sweet area than Callaway Apex

24% larger sweet area than Titleist AP2

2016 JPX EZ (NOT FORGED)

41% larger sweet area than Taylor Made Aeroburner

51% larger sweet area than PING G30

70% larger sweet area than Callaway XR Series

79% larger sweet area than Callaway Apex

96% larger sweet area than Titleist AP1

2016 JPX 850 Forged

19% larger sweet area than Taylor Made RS1

49% larger sweet area than Callaway Apex Pro

53% larger sweet area than Titleist AP2

2016 JPX 850 ( NOT FORGED)

10% larger sweet area than PING G30

30% larger sweet area than Callaway Apex

42% larger sweet area than Titleist AP1

I have been playing the 2013 model of the JPX EX Forged for a year. Although i had personal swing issues, i thought these clubs were the best feel and sound, and most controllable irons i've ever played. I am looking forward to your reviews!

Hey guys - I've been playing Titleist 712 MB's for the last 4 years and love them. I hit them great but always wonder if a forged set would make my life a lot easier... So I've been tossing the idea around and actually tried a forged set, the Mizuno JPX's, at Golf Galaxy. I also tried out a Ping forged set but I couldn't find anything that compared to the Mizuno irons. They are some great clubs.

Like I said, I'm hitting my muscle backs just fine but always wondering if I'm busting my ass to hit these things perfect every time. And another huge question of mine - is the technology in these new forged clubs really the difference maker? It's a big investment and was wondering if anyone else switched from a set of blades to these Mizuno's?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Hey guys - I've been playing Titleist 712 MB's for the last 4 years and love them. I hit them great but always wonder if a forged set would make my life a lot easier... So I've been tossing the idea around and actually tried a forged set, the Mizuno JPX's, at Golf Galaxy. I also tried out a Ping forged set but I couldn't find anything that compared to the Mizuno irons. They are some great clubs.

Like I said, I'm hitting my muscle backs just fine but always wondering if I'm busting my ass to hit these things perfect every time. And another huge question of mine - is the technology in these new forged clubs really the difference maker? It's a big investment and was wondering if anyone else switched from a set of blades to these Mizuno's?

Thanks!

The JPX EZ Forged sit solidly in the game improvement category. If you don't mind the look and hit them well then that's all that matters. The MP25s and JPX 850 forged are also great and are a bit smaller than the EZ.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Hey Jbil - thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I'm always looking for improvement in my game so I might have to check these out. I'm also always looking for a good deal so if you know of any of those let me know... Lol!

Aren't the 712MB's forged?

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Chemclub's Stage 1 look at the JPX-EZ Forged irons is us.

Gentlemen, this is how it's done.  Awesome job Chemclub!!!

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/15585-official-forum-member-review-mizuno-jpx-ez-forged-irons/?p=197059

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Chemclub,

Awesome job man! Love the enthusiasm and the video content. That's seriously cool to get a look at your swing! I hope the Mizzy's work out great for you and either way I'm excited to read what you and everyone in this thread has to say!

What's your take on the appearance at address? Are they too "chunky"?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Chemclub,

Awesome job man! Love the enthusiasm and the video content. That's seriously cool to get a look at your swing! I hope the Mizzy's work out great for you and either way I'm excited to read what you and everyone in this thread has to say!

What's your take on the appearance at address? Are they too "chunky"?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks! I plan on taking a few photos of the address position for Stage 2. I would say that the "chunkiness" is really apparent with the higher lofted clubs. I currently game a really thin top line iron but I would say I have adapted to the thicker top line in the low loft irons pretty easily.

No problem! 

I'm curious to hear how the difference in appearance might effect your performance/trajectory/miss compared to the traditional club that you game.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Really nice review chemclub. Thanks

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Really nice review chemclub. Thanks

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks rev. So far it is just a review of my current irons! :unsure:  But I wanted to give you a baseline for when I talk about the Mizuno in terms of feel and shot making.

I love your graphics and your preliminary thoughts on the clubs. You do a great job of telling us who you are as a golfer.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks rev. So far it is just a review of my current irons! :unsure: But I wanted to give you a baseline for when I talk about the Mizuno in terms of feel and shot making.

Yeah it was an awesome write up so far. Thank you for your time and really putting in a great effort. Also what did you use to track your ball flight in the video?

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

Yeah it was an awesome write up so far. Thank you for your time and really putting in a great effort. Also what did you use to track your ball flight in the video?

Thanks Chris O. 

You can make a circle in almost any kind of video editing software (iMovie or Adobe Premiere). You then just set it up to track the ball frame by frame until you lose sight of it. Glad the video works. Every time I click on it I get an error (only in Safari though).

iPhone upgrades have become so incremental. Obviously, if Apple wants to dominate the market place, they just need to put shot tracking in the next iPhone model. Skytrak/Trackman app

My stage One has been posted... I will add some more pictures into it soon and my apologies - but ChemClub set the bar pretty darn high on this one 

Oaks that's a fantastic story! Happy to feel that I know you a little better after reading through your post, and it's nice to hear the Mizuno's are more striking to your eye than originally expected. This is going to be a pretty fantastic read over the next month or so!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Good write up Oaks. I like that this first stage is more of a background on the players. Gives me a good idea where the reviewers are coming from. Thanks for your time!

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Yeah, chemclub... don't be a jerk! :D

J/K

I like them both... keep them coming!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Great write up oaks! Sounds like we have pretty similar games. My hooks don't listen simply because they duck snap before I have a chance to talk to them. 

I am the opposite with the lofts since these are the strongest I have ever played. I know the numbers (5,6,7...) don't really mean anything aside form the true loft but it is still a psychological chore to get used to it. I'm sure NiftyNiblick could give us an earful about it ;)

Also sympathize with your playing frequency. I have two kids under five myself.

Archived