TESTERS WANTED! ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - MIZUNO JPX EZ FORGED IRONS

JBones

Finally, the moment has arrived. I have posted my Stage 1 Review.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome piece Rick!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Rick, chemclub, Oaks....terrific start! This is a long process and you will second guess yourself many times in the process.  But persevere and these will be terrifi reviews....these clubs are getting better looking all the time...

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I really would love to see some objective comparisons to the performance between these and a more blades iron. I think that's their sales pitch. These clubs should appeal to the typical golfer who plays "less forgiving" clubs but wants good looks. I can't wait to see the comparisons...

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Great write up RoverRick! Too bad both you and oaks had such bad fitting experiences. I live in Iowa and had several fitting options. There are only 3 million people in the whole state! I would think Mizuno central would want to know about this from a sales and public relations stand point. We were all told we would receive a fitting and it sounds like you both had some bad customer service. 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I really would love to see some objective comparisons to the performance between these and a more blades iron. I think that's their sales pitch. These clubs should appeal to the typical golfer who plays "less forgiving" clubs but wants good looks. I can't wait to see the comparisons...

I would say at this point the oversized grips make more difference than the offset or thicker top line or cavity back.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Great write up RoverRick! Too bad both you and oaks had such bad fitting experiences. I live in Iowa and had several fitting options. There are only 3 million people in the whole state! I would think Mizuno central would want to know about this from a sales and public relations stand point. We were all told we would receive a fitting and it sounds like you both had some bad customer service. 

While I did not have the fitting that many dream about, I would say that the Mizuno Cart made it very easy to hit the head/shaft combo, pretty much any combo, I wanted. They had just about any shaft and most of them available to test in standard, 1/2" short, or 1/2-1" long. Even without "Proper Adult Supervision" I feel like I was able to find the right combination, or at least the right shaft, for me. I actually hit some other heads better than the JPX EZ Forged, but they were not options.

I have used the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer in the past and know my numbers, so not having this was not a terrible burden.

I would say at this point the oversized grips make more difference than the offset or thicker top line or cavity back.

Could you explain this a little further? I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. What kind of difference are you suggesting? Playability? Forgiveness? Looks? That's an interesting thought!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Could you explain this a little further? I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. What kind of difference are you suggesting? Playability? Forgiveness? Looks? That's an interesting thought!

Ok, The theory is that by adding offset to the clubs, this changes the center of gravity in relation to the shaft and make it easier to close the club face. Since the most common flaw is a slice, and the GI Irons have more offset to make it easier to close the club face. So for some players, the offset at least gives the illusion that they are going to close the face too much and hook the ball.

I worded it like that because the offset on these clubs is roughly half that of the TMag Tour Preferred MB and you would probably be hard pressed to find anyone complaining about the offset on those clubs. The Adams MB's also had a significant offset, but in both those cases they had a thin top line so the complaints were minimal.

The thin top line is strictly a matter of taste. In fact the thicker top line, caused by having more metal at the top of the club is actually beneficial to all players. If you are playing a blade, and have a fluffy lie or catch the ball high on the face for any reason, there will be a significant distance loss. However, blade players prefer the looks of the thin top line.

I am a blade player and do prefer the thin top line and minimal offset. The reality of these irons, is they are far more playable because of these two features and are really not significant in either feature to really be concerned about.

Now the feature I have on these irons that really does make a significant difference is the over-sized grips. I ordered the Golf Pride Next Gen 4 Over-sized grips on purpose. I like the bigger grip. Larger grips cause less active hands. I played with several wraps under the right hand for quite some time. Also the Best Grips have a different taper and are larger under the right hand.

Why this matters and took more getting used to, is my Best Grips are on my KBS C Taper Lite shafts that have the Ping S56 heads on them. Lately, I have been playing MP33's on C Taper shafts with Pure Grips. These do not have additional tape under the right hand and going from the Pure to the Gen 4 Midsize did take some adjustment. I went from a draw with an occasional hook to a straight ball flight with an occasional push slice. Of course, after a couple of rounds, all of this goes away after a few adjustments are made.

The Cavity Back- simply the perimeter weighting causes a larger sweet spot and is thus more forgiving. Max forgiveness is on one end of the scale and Max workability is at the other end of the scale.

How does one fade the ball? Hit with an out to in swing with a slightly open club face. How does one draw the ball? Hit with and in to out swing with a slightly closed club face. If I make a club that no matter how poorly you swing, or where you hit the ball on the face, it goes the same and the club face by balance ends up closing no matter what (happens more with hybrids and woods than irons) I can not shape the ball flight as easily. This is good if you have no control over your ball flight but if you want to be able to work the ball then too much forgiveness can make it difficult to "work" the ball.

So the dream iron is the one that does not rob you of tremendous distance on slightly off center hits, and still allows you to shape the ball if that is your desire.

These JPX EZ Forged (2016) may be just that dream iron. There is a tremendous amount of forgiveness built in to them. But it is still possible to hit draws and fades and high and low shots. Are they the dream irons? Are they the distance gainers they promise to be? Are they evenly gaped through out the set? I recall a lot of people saying that some brands of irons have a larger gap between the 8 and 7 irons and shorter gaps in others. Are these like that?  

This and many more questions will be answered in the Stage 2 of my review.

I erred in the above statement. It is the Adams MB2 that have more offset than these JPX EZ Forged. The TMags have less offset. But once again this is not particularly noticeable once you have played a bit with them.

I could be way off here, but I thought smaller grips tended to cause the player to grip more tightly, leading to less hand/wrist action, and potential slicing... I seem to have noticed more control with larger grips that "let" me grip the club more loosely, and being able to easily get the clubface squared (or shut/open - wherever I want it) seems to add "percieved forgiveness", for lack of a better term...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

That's an interesting perspective. I would be really interested to hear what some of the fitters on the board have to say about that. I could use some of the things you mention... Haha.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I could be way off here, but I thought smaller grips tended to cause the player to grip more tightly, leading to less hand/wrist action, and potential slicing... I seem to have noticed more control with larger grips that "let" me grip the club more loosely, and being able to easily get the clubface squared (or shut/open - wherever I want it) seems to add "percieved forgiveness", for lack of a better term...

The best terminology I should have used is that the wrong size grips can cause over or under active hands. This is part of the fitting process and IMHO the grips and the shafts make far more difference than the heads.

Gotcha. I would agree about grips wholeheartedly. One small change can make a huge improvement!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome Write-Up Chem!

You are setting the bar very high. 

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

Thanks oaks. It only cost me my work and family.

Great reviews, Fellas! Feel and sound are two of the greatest things in golf. You've come close to objectifying those sensations. The number one asset, for me anyway, is forgiveness. Great job, Chem, with the dispersion patterns and off-center hits!

Now how about some video of your best Happy Gilmore swing?

Great reviews, Fellas! Feel and sound are two of the greatest things in golf. You've come close to objectifying those sensations. The number one asset, for me anyway, is forgiveness. Great job, Chem, with the dispersion patterns and off-center hits!

Now how about some video of your best Happy Gilmore swing?

I play next week. I can make that happen. I guess I owe the forum an apology for not conducting any of my evaluation using Happy Gilmore swings. How do we know how these irons stack up? Next time

Seriously, how about audio recordings of your MaxFli vs JPX EZ impact? Just shoot video with sound, and place the two impacts back to back for comparison.

For one, I'd like to hear the two. Thx!

Seriously, how about audio recordings of your MaxFli vs JPX EZ impact? Just shoot video with sound, and place the two impacts back to back for comparison.

For one, I'd like to hear the two. Thx!

I want to make this happen but I am pretty jammed with work and travel for the next two weeks. Once I get back I will get you the details on sound. 

Great write up Rick. Totally agree that if you can get over the offset these clubs are so solid and play really great.

Well done!  You guys are giving a really good feel for what it's like to play these things...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Great review Rick! I appreciate the honesty on the preconceived notions/prejudice. Also, I agree in the naming, EZ is a bit of a turn off, but hell its Mizuno so they're most likely to be great. I play JPX 800 pros, love them and don't mind the name, just a bit long.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

My apologies for the delay - my review has been inserted into Page on of the thread - I still need to get my pictures inserted, but I wanted to make sure that I got the written aspect up.

Sorry for the delay MGS and Mizuno - it has been an honor to try these irons out - and I apologize about my tardiness. 

Finally got my pictures up.  Took comparison shots with my 2014 TaylorMade MC's abd my old skool Ping Eye2's

Thanks again MGS and Mizuno!

Well folks. I can honestly say that I went back to my old irons. I will still alternate in the JPX, because I think they are excellent clubs, but I couldn't get used to the offset and chunkier look. Old dog I guess, but I wouldn't have hung on to my current irons so long if I didn't like them. I might put the 4 and 5 JPX in the bag since they are so easy to hit.

I still think these irons are worth checking out though, just not the best for me. 

Well folks. I can honestly say that I went back to my old irons. I will still alternate in the JPX, because I think they are excellent clubs, but I couldn't get used to the offset and chunkier look.

I put my TP's back in my bag this weekend and felt right again. I will give the EZs a few weeks off before trying them again.

I put my TP's back in my bag this weekend and felt right again. I will give the EZs a few weeks off before trying them again.

Let me know when you want to get rid of them

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, TM R11S driver. G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I irons, Rac 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Archived