TESTERS WANTED! ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - MIZUNO JPX EZ FORGED IRONS

JBones

Guys,

Fantastic job on the reviews! It was a great read for me, and I am happy to see the look at address Chemclub, it's pretty interesting to see the differences there.

One question I'd like to ask the group (not just testers but anyone that reads this thread) out of the images displayed of each club at address, which iron do you feel would give you the most confidence going into hitting that shot?

I think the answer to that questions is pretty interesting. It says a lot about your preferences and what you look for.

Great job everyone!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

which iron do you feel would give you the most confidence going into hitting that shot?

For me I am having trouble getting over the bulkiness of the JPX-EZ Forged irons and hence why I have reverted back to my TaylorMade MC's.  What is particularly intriguing to me is that it isn't so much the chunkiness when the irons are on a tee or even in the fairway - it is more my thought if I have to try and muscle one out of the rough - mentally I don't feel as though I can get the shovel to the ball without taking a large portion of the earth with me.  

In fairness - it is not the irons... it is me.   :rolleyes:

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

Oaks,

I am completely with you. Confidence is a funny thing. I would pick the look of the MP-5 at address over anything else not because of the sex appeal, but the razor thin almost knife-like look of it actually inspires me to get some speed onto the ball and make it fly.

I think it would be interesting to use those images as a gauge of what people's feelings are.

That is why I love my Hogans, they forgive me when I mishit the ball, but give me the confidence to stripe it.

I would love to hear more opinions on which they would pick!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I think I hit the JPX and my old irons about the same, but I have so much more confidence with my older, thinner top-line, irons so I just went back to playing them. When you play with thinner irons it really screws with your head when you look down at a thicker head. Completely mental, but good mental thoughts are critical in golf. You have to trust your shot and at least for this head case, I had to learn to just swing normally.

I would also say that the off center forgiveness wit the JPX is extreme but takes some getting used to in the feel department. It is really tough to know where on the face the ball hit. If that isn't important to you then the JPX are about as perfect as you can get. 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I actually prefer a slightly thicker top line, it doesn't feel like there's enough club behind the ball with a thin one, but I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to something new. Even large offset doesn't bother me, my current clubs have got progressive offset and I don't notice going from the one with the most to the one with the least. Or even for that matter going to my old ones. I think I could even play SGI irons and not mind.

On a slightly different note I was wondering if anyone had played the JPX EZ forged and the JPX 850 or even if they just knew much about them. As apart from them being forged they seem to overlap who they're aimed for. Again this is probably just me as you can see from above I have strange tastes in what I play but I don't care about playing forged irons or not, am I really missing out that much I don't honestly think I could tell the difference.

Guys I'm just catching up here. Great jobs across the board. I particularly enjoyed Rick's explanation about offset and perimeter weighting back around the 3rd page.

I think in the end he's spot on that it's about finding the balance between playability and workability. If you know what you are doing you can work anything.

The questions really would be how hard is the iron to work and how important is working the ball to your game?

For me working the ball has never been that important because my game has never been at that level. The very best I've been for an extended period of time was a 2. It's not like I needed to be able to cut it in to a tight pin over a trap as a 2. 30 feet, middle of the green from 150 is a more than reasonable outcome at my level of play.

For me forgiveness and playability has always trumped workability, always. If the club performs I get used to how it looks. But I understand that for some this is a huge issue. It actually is for me with wedges where I prefer a compact look around the green so I do get that.

Honestly these irons sound ideal for the overwhelming majority of players. Great job.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Great reviews.........these are some sweet little irons.  As for the setup at address, I don't find them overly thick......remember, I game the Cobra Bio Cells...I think the JPX irons would yield a good bit of confidence at address.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

For me working the ball has never been that important because my game has never been at that level. The very best I've been for an extended period of time was a 2. It's not like I needed to be able to cut it in to a tight pin over a trap as a 2. 30 feet, middle of the green from 150 is a more than reasonable outcome at my level of play.

Good point!  that is also my approach when playing.  We do get lucky once in awhile and "Push" the ball for the Cut though......hahahahahaha

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I actually prefer a slightly thicker top line, it doesn't feel like there's enough club behind the ball with a thin one, but I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to something new. Even large offset doesn't bother me, my current clubs have got progressive offset and I don't notice going from the one with the most to the one with the least. Or even for that matter going to my old ones. I think I could even play SGI irons and not mind.

On a slightly different note I was wondering if anyone had played the JPX EZ forged and the JPX 850 or even if they just knew much about them. As apart from them being forged they seem to overlap who they're aimed for. Again this is probably just me as you can see from above I have strange tastes in what I play but I don't care about playing forged irons or not, am I really missing out that much I don't honestly think I could tell the difference.

It is a good question about where the JPX EZ forged and JPX 850 fit in to the line. This was touched on briefly in a recent MGS main article.

http://www.mygolfspy.com/tested-mizuno-mp-25-jpx-850-forged-and-jpx-ez-forged/

The EZ forged are recommended for anyone down to an 8 handicap according to the Mizuno website, while the 850 is recommend down to a 6. This seems like very little difference to me with pretty redundant overlap on Mizuno's part, but that may be due to product release cycles rather than designs. The 850s are at least 2 years older. Maybe Mizuno didn't realize how well the EZs would perform? Let's not give them too much credit since a lot of these recommendations are put together by the marketing departments. 

The top line for the JPX 850 is even thinner than the MP H5s. Method in their madness by making two similar sets with different looks? Perhaps there is more-feel/less-forgiveness for the 850s as well in terms of off center hits.

There are a few people on here who game 850s, maybe they can shed some insight.

Guys I'm just catching up here. Great jobs across the board. I particularly enjoyed Rick's explanation about offset and perimeter weighting back around the 3rd page.

I think in the end he's spot on that it's about finding the balance between playability and workability. If you know what you are doing you can work anything.

The questions really would be how hard is the iron to work and how important is working the ball to your game?

For me forgiveness and playability has always trumped workability, always. If the club performs I get used to how it looks. But I understand that for some this is a huge issue. It actually is for me with wedges where I prefer a compact look around the green so I do get that.

Honestly these irons sound ideal for the overwhelming majority of players. Great job.

I completely agree that all but the top players really don't need to be able to 'work' the ball. I think it is beneficial for everyone to know how to hit a cut or draw to get out of trouble, but you can do that with any iron (just ask the numerous golfers on the range who consistently slice off the planet). If you don't know how to cut or draw to get out of trouble, then just punch out and try for par/bogey. I bet you score the same on average anyway.

Rating irons in terms of workability, IMHO, is not very useful for people like us. Pros and other high level players need to know how to draw and fade into pin placements so they can consistently break par. If we could put the same consistent ball flight on every shot, and never know how to work a ball, we would all be sniffing at a 2 handicap (assuming you take care of business around the green).

I don't want to discount feel though. I really like feeling where on the club face I hit the ball. I am a classic over swinger, so off center feedback tells me to calm down and make better swings.

I have wondered if more player centric irons would help me improve due to more feedback, but i usually find i know or can feel when I've hit a bad shot, and using GI irons the ball goes somewhere near where I wanted it to go. So all in all I think I would probably score higher and go home more disappointed with my bad shots if I changed style of irons.

Posted my answers to "The Five" questions in my stage 3 review.

My Stage 3 review has also now been posted.  Thanks again to Mizuno and MGS - please feel free to ask any questions anyone may have about these irons. 

• 1 month later...

My set of JPX-EZ's are in the hands of RodeoCody.  Good luck with them and we can't wait to hear what you think of them. 

Received my iron set from Oaks played one full round on them btw Oaks sent me the iron In as good as new from factory beautiful clubs. Played horrible as I went from current clubs bio cell plus same specs to these no range straight to golf coarse just couldn't get a rhythm going all day played oakhills in sutherlin oregon. Just overall a bad me day but when I did strike them clean and good quite possibly the best feel I've had with a iron a solid 15 yards farther then current club excited to get back out and hit going to range tomorrow the Next 3 weekend Tournaments so will give more info after a month of hitting but already a fan of these irons

Good luck with them rodeocody. They are truly solid clubs as long as they fit your eye. Just trust them and they will make great shots for you. They do have a great feel off of the club face.

Just a quick update about these clubs. I am well into my fourth month with these clubs, and sadly into my fifth month of playing only once per week and not even getting to do that every week.

This is well past the honeymoon stage with these clubs, and over the past 3 weeks, I have strayed. My game has been pretty poor all year and not being able to practice has certainly not helped. I made the statement that these clubs allowed me to play better than other clubs.

These past 3 weeks I did not believe that was still the case so 3 weeks ago I went out with a different set of Mizuno irons, and shot the worst round of golf in months. Last week, I took the JPXs back out and played pretty well. This week I put the Pings in the bag and hit 1 good shot all day and scored my highest round in years.

The honeymoon may be over, but I am working on building a serious long term relationship with these clubs.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Always good to hear from you RR. I think these clubs are ideal for a guy who doesn't have the time to practice or play a lot of golf.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rick,

Glad you still are enjoying them. I am looking forward to see how mine are now treating Cody.

Best

Matt

Rick,

Glad you still are enjoying them. I am looking forward to see how mine are now treating Cody.

Best

Matt

I'm not sure if "enjoying" is the right term. :huh:  

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• 1 month later...

Rodeo - How did these irons work out for you?  Curious on your feelings. 

Matt

I can report that the irons have found a very good home with my Dad. He has been struggling with AP2s and loves the forgiveness and solid feel of these irons. No trade. My pops was my original sponsor so I thought it was fitting to just gift them to him. I will report back with any news he may provide. The shafts are too stiff so he is doing a little experimentation. 

Thanks again MGS

Chem - Awesome news that your father could get use out of them and is enjoying them. 

• 4 months later...

I'm looking at a set of these for my daughter. Really appreciate the effort that's gone into these reviews. I'm almost prepared to take a punt on a 2nd hand set that have NS Pro regs in them (they were recommended by a club builder mate of mine for her) based on these detailed reviews.

Great job guys (and MGS)

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I'm looking at a set of these for my daughter. Really appreciate the effort that's gone into these reviews. I'm almost prepared to take a punt on a 2nd hand set that have NS Pro regs in them (they were recommended by a club builder mate of mine for her) based on these detailed reviews.

Great job guys (and MGS)

Hey Peaksy - I think you (your daughter) will really like them. There are times I regret giving them to my dad because my current low profile irons—while I love the look—are not fit to me as the JPX were. I shot my lowest rounds of the season with those JPXs. They were so darn easy to hit.

I think I can get back there with a proper custom fitting. That is my plan this Spring (after saying that every Spring) but this time I can actually make it happen, and there is a licensed Nippon fitter in my area. Iowa can be hard to come by full-on custom fitters.

• 9 months later...

Found this as part of the clearing house.

I've seen chemclub post a ton of thoughtful replies on the forum but I believe this is the first time I've seen one of his reviews. What a treat! I love the datacentric approach.

My favorite part was when you did the off-center hits with the impact tape and LM. So often, that becomes a subjective area of reviews but you found a way to back it up.

Great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Found this as part of the clearing house.

I've seen chemclub post a ton of thoughtful replies on the forum but I believe this is the first time I've seen one of his reviews. What a treat! I love the datacentric approach.

My favorite part was when you did the off-center hits with the impact tape and LM. So often, that becomes a subjective area of reviews but you found a way to back it up.

Great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks STUDque!

A lot of thought went into that because I was really surprised how forgiving they were and wanted to say more than just - hey guys, these things are really really really forgiving.

Like you, I like to look at cold hard data - provided it is collected and presented in the correct way. So much of a golf club is feel which is impossible to convey to another person and also so subjective. I tried my best to quantify as much as I could so someone would be able to make the decision for how it might affect their game.

Thanks again for bumping an old thread!

Archived