My own 2016 Driver Shootout

longbal30

What's up guys, just wanted to share some info on some testing I have been doing lately in regards to driver. Little background on myself.

Swing speed 110-115

Ball speed 160-165

Always been a relatively low spin player, 5* positive attack angle, and generally play a fairly straight ball. Driver is one of my best clubs in the bag.

I am a certified club fitter but don't actively fit people much anymore. Just too much going on in my life right now. But that does give me everything I need to fit myself which I do throughout the year. I have a GC2, and use Pingnflight software.

Here have been the contenders so far this year, just started this new campaign about 2 weeks ago.

Taylormade M1 430 8.5 Rogue 70x

Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65x

Callaway XR Pro Rogue 60x

So far what I have found is the M1 is a beast of a driver. It has routinely provided me the longest drives, consistent spin, and forgiveness out of any of the drivers tested to this point.

Here are my averages

M1 carry distance 276, spin 1800 launch with it set at 10.5 has been 15*, overall distance average 296

Callaway XR Pro 9* set at 10* carry distance 268, spin 2050, launch 15*, overall distance average 291

Ping G 9* carry distance 262, spin 2600, launch 15*. Overall distance average 286

The big shocker to me was the Ping G, I had very high hopes for this club, and while every once in a while I would get a 16* launch paired with a 1600 spin that produced 304 yard drives, there were just too many that spun upwards of 2800 that just killed my carry and overall numbers. The XR Pro was my gamer from last season. The M1 has been the most consistent performer so far by a long shot. My plans are to put the Callaway DBD 816 and the Nike Vapor Fly Pro against the M1 coming up in the near future. I will keep this post going as I test different clubs, or possible shaft changes. I have a Graphite Design Tour Ad BB6x, Diamana W60x, and a Possible HZDROUS 62x in route.

If anyone has a questions, let me know. I have already tested the M1 with the BB, but not enough to post numbers quite yet.

• Like 2

Taylormade M1 8.5 Rogue 70x

Callaway 816 14* Speeder

Callaway 815 hybrid 18* Speeder

3-P Taylormade PSI Tour KBS S+

Titliest SM5 52/58

Machine M20 Aluminum Bronze

Don't leave out the Cobra offerings. I have been doing the same thing and the F6+ Pro was the winner for me. I am not a TM fan but I really wanted the M1/M2 to win because it looks badass. They were my favorite driver to look down at but I had to go with performance.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

KC are you keeping the ACCRA in play?  I know how well it worked for you with the Fly Z+

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

Oaks yeah I am going to test it. And mess around with some other shafts.

Snell MTB-X

Interested in how the HAZARDOUS shaft works out for you -- that sucker has me intrigued. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I had some time with the Vapor Fly pro yesterday, all I can say is WOW. Possibly may be the one to beat the M1. Time will tell. Need to hit it on GC2. Felt like I could swing the Nike faster, and I enjoyed the feel off the face much more than the M1. 

Taylormade M1 8.5 Rogue 70x

Callaway 816 14* Speeder

Callaway 815 hybrid 18* Speeder

3-P Taylormade PSI Tour KBS S+

Titliest SM5 52/58

Machine M20 Aluminum Bronze

I really want to try the HZRDUS also heard its a great shaft.

Snell MTB-X

This is an interesting shoot out! I had the m1 but recently have been playing with the R15 again. I've been interested in the Nike vapor fly pro as well swing speed is similar. Looking forward to the updates.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

The HZRDUS black is legit. At least the handcrafted version.... I'm waiting on my HRZDUS Red proto to show up...

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though my Swing Speed has slowed to mid 80's, I still find the Cobra King LTD one of my faves.....

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, I agree with others on trying the Cobra offerings. I love my King LTD so far because of its combination of low spin with lots of forgiveness. The only driver that I've hit as well is the XR16 Pro which has me intrigued since most of my bag is Callaway.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

After this past Mondays round I may never give up my SLDR. I hit 13 of 14 fairways. Yes, I counted shots that were just into the second cut. At my club the second cut is about 36" wide and very playable. I used to only count shots that were truly in the fairway (first cut). If I were 3" into the second cut I wouldn't count it as a FIR. Kind of harsh. If a tee shot is outside the second cut it's a missed fairway. I'm not a Pro ya know and I think a tee shot just off the first cut is legit for an amateur. IMHO.

By the way... of those 13 FIR I'm claiming; 8 of them were in the first cut.

• Like 3

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

After this past Mondays round I may never give up my SLDR. I hit 13 of 14 fairways. Yes, I counted shots that were just into the second cut. At my club the second cut is about 36" wide and very playable. I used to only count shots that were truly in the fairway (first cut). If I were 3" into the second cut I wouldn't count it as a FIR. Kind of harsh. If a tee shot is outside the second cut it's a missed fairway. I'm not a Pro ya know and I think a tee shot just off the first cut is legit for an amateur. IMHO.

I'd be happy with 13 out of 14 Fairways any day.... 

• Like 1

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I am happy with my Bridgestone JGR that replaced my SLDR.  I have been keeping track of stats the past couple of weeks and over 4 rounds my FIR is 76% with my best round being 11 of 13.  My problem is that my GIR is only 47%.  I could still improve chipping and pitching, but I am averaging 31 putts. 

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am happy with my Bridgestone JGR that replaced my SLDR. I have been keeping track of stats the past couple of weeks and over 4 rounds my FIR is 76% with my best round being 11 of 13. My problem is that my GIR is only 47%. I could still improve chipping and pitching, but I am averaging 31 putts.

I'm basically in the same situation as you on my game. My Vapor Fly has been super accurate for me lately but my chipping and pitching hasn't been good at all.

-Your Average Golfer

• Like 1

I just bought a callaway big Bertha alpha 815 dbd after demoing an 816 at a demo day. I asked to try it and told him how I hit and he didn't recommend it but my first swing i hit a gorgeous draw right off the center of the face. I proceeded to hit many more with that boring trajectory everyone talk about. Since I can't afford the 816 I went a step back. I also tried the king Ltd and got the same results i just didn't trust it as much after my previous experience with cobra drivers

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:                  :mizuno-small:  ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:    :adams-small:    Pro  2 hybrid 16*, Aldila Tour Red 75g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip 

:mizuno-small:           JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip                                  

IRONS:            :cobra-small:    King Forged Tour 4i-pw, KBS FLT, shafts, stiff,  Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

WEDGES:        rsz_scor-golf-logo.png        50, 55, 60 degree wedges with Genius 12 stiff flex,   Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

PUTTER:       :odyssey-small:    O-Works Marksman 33.5", Superstroke 1.0 Flatso grip w/ 50g counter core

BALL:          :bridgestone-small: Tour B X                                                     

BAG:          :Ogio:              Cirrus Golf Bag 

Shoes:              Skechers                  Hexgo Control  Shoes

I traded in my first gen Callaway XR for an M1, 460cc, 9.5*. Agree completely, the TM flys past the XR, but not until i moved the weight back and upped static loft 2*, which closed the face 4*. Then i fought a hook all day, in exchange for 30 more yards.

Newsflash: Read the blog by Toney Covey on increasing M1 forgiveness by moving both weights to the rear track. After 9 holes, results look great. Ball flight is slightly higher, still long, and now almost no side spin. The M1 is now a point-and-shoot howitzer!

I traded in my first gen Callaway XR for an M1, 460cc, 9.5*. Agree completely, the TM flys past the XR, but not until i moved the weight back and upped static loft 2*, which closed the face 4*. Then i fought a hook all day, in exchange for 30 more yards.

Newsflash: Read the blog by Toney Covey on increasing M1 forgiveness by moving both weights to the rear track. After 9 holes, results look great. Ball flight is slightly higher, still long, and now almost no side spin. The M1 is now a point-and-shoot howitzer!

That M1 hack from Covey was awesome! I don't have a M1 (my Vapor Fly is just a big blue bomber for me) but hearing how well those M1s perform has me super tempted.

-Arkansas "Woo Pig!"

-Right handed

-16 handicap

-Nike Vapor Fly (10.5/Regular flex)

-Titleist 716 AP1 (Stiff/ Std Loft & Lie)

• Like 1

I'd like the M1 except I can't stand the look of the size of the head, 460 is too big, I don't like any 460 jead, 440 or less for me, they don't make the 430head in LH.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind