TESTERS WANTED! ×

Size of grip and it's effects on ball flight

I currently play Pure Pro mid-size in all my clubs and my usual shot is a push, which to me, shows that I'm not getting my arms rotated enough through the swing.

I keep reading that smaller diameter grips "make/help" the arms rotate more, thus the result, for me at least, would be either a straight shot or a draw.

What are your thoughts on grip size and is the thinking anecdotal or hard fact? 

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

From what I understand, the larger grip slows your hands, or keeps them quieter through the swing. I had always used standard grips and hit a lot of bad hooks, someone recommended for me to play midsize and it has toned down the bad hooks, I still hook, but it's much less, so in that regard I would say yes it could hope with the push to go to a smaller grip, you can also look at the lie angle as well, that can also cause a potential left or right shot, too flat is fade , too upright is draw. I know there are some guys that will leave clubs flat or upright to counteract their tendencies and straighten the ball out.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Just saw this on the Golf Channel, saying that if yourarrow-10x10.png grips are larger, you can't get your hands around in time.  So if you want to hit a draw, play smaller grips.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Placebo effect IMO

I know it's your opinion, but why do you think that is?

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I wish I could slap some Super Stroke Fatso putter grips onto my driver and woods and never hit another hook. Just don't see that working though.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I currently play Pure Pro mid-size in all my clubs and my usual shot is a push, which to me, shows that I'm not getting my arms rotated enough through the swing.

I keep reading that smaller diameter grips "make/help" the arms rotate more, thus the result, for me at least, would be either a straight shot or a draw.

What are your thoughts on grip size and is the thinking anecdotal or hard fact?

I use midsize grips as well because with standard grips my finger tips dig into the palm of my hand. Everything I hit has a touch of fade, always has probably always will. In February I played a round of golf using a friends set with standard grips, hit the same little fade. I suppose a smaller grip would make it easier to draw the ball, but I think smaller or larger grips would depend more on your hand size. If I was to switch to jumbos I would proably hit a bigger cut. Some day when I'm bored I'll have try it.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I have the GP CP2-wrap on all my clubs. These grips have a slightly reduced taper in the lower hand - meaning they are slightly thicker. It's noticeable when you hold a club without this feature. The grips also have a 2.5" Control Core Stabilizer insert incorporated into the butt end of the grip. GP says it reduces torque by 41%. I suppose. Personally I don't think I can tell. I like the grips a lot and would re-grip with them next time.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

The size of the grip should fit your hand.  It's one of the variables of the fitting process.  Grips that are too small result in gripping too hard because poor contact with the club.  Grips that are too big result in reduced hand action and a slower swing speed, but the club is easier to control.

This is my own personal experience.  It may be different for others.  That said, I use Pure Grips DTX on my irons and DTX midsize on my woods/hybrids.  I have 4 wraps under my lower hand and one under my upper hand.  I tend to make a slightly easier swing with my irons so I don't feel like I have to have a death grip on the club.  The regular grips allow more wrist cock (not that I have much anyway), and I get a higher launch, which I need.  For the long clubs I probably swing a little more out of control, and the midsize grips allow me to have lighter grip pressure, which leads to better distance than I would get from the slightly more wrist cock with standard grips.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 4 weeks later...

I tell folks that grip size is a catalyst to the push or hook concepts not a cause.

Grips should be fit to the proper size of both hands. However, physical and mental comfort override proper fit.

Meaning if I say I think midsize grips are the best fit for you and while going through the mid grips for selection the golfers final thought is,,,,,

yea but I am comfortable with standard and like that feel instead, then the decision has already been made.

The change of grip size will be in that golfers mind the ENTIRE time instead of concentrating on the swing.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I found this article enlightening regarding finding the correct grip size.  http://www.golf.com/instruction/youre-playing-wrong-size-grips

A few years ago I attended a three day golf school and the pro mentioned that I could use bigger grips.  This was based on my hands--I'm 6'2" tall with big hands and long fingers,  "pianists" hands.  With a regular grip, my fingers dug into the palm and I griped much too hard.  

I started experimenting with different size grips.  I did the different fitting tests and read all the articles I could find.  What I found is that grip size mostly influences pressure.  The whole "big grips cause a fade, small grips cause a draw" thing is a myth.  Big grips may keep me from manipulating the club in the fingers, but this is a good thing.  The small manipulations lead to inconsistency.    

I started out trying midsize gips and then jumbo.  My methodology was to buy three grips of each size and put them on a wedge, mid iron and driver.  I would then hit each set of clubs for a few weeks on the range.  If I didn't like one set of grips, I would replace it, but I always had two sets of grips to compare.  I compared results on the range (not feel) and I spent enough time with each grip to get used to the different grip size.  After all, the size of grip you are used to will initially feel more comfortable.    

I even tried the Jumbomax grips.  Even with their large grip, I didn't suddenly start hitting massive fades.  But, my hands felt great after a range session.  

I finally settled on a jumbo grip by Golf Pride..

As a side note, I gave some of the Jumbomax grips that I didn't use to a friend and he ended up replacing all his grips with Jumbomax.  The big grips relived some mild arthritis pains in his hands and made golf much less taxing for him.  

After my experiments, I found the only way to truly find the right grip size is to hit different grips for a period of time and go with the ones that give the best results (again, not initial feel).  I have played with the jumbo grips for a year now and even though they felt strange when I first put them on the clubs, I now couldn't imagine going back to a standard grip.   

I agree that grip size is part of your fitting; not a way to shape your shots.

Many years of playing tennis, I experimented with various size grips.  Easy to change, mid-game, with some wraps of gauze tape.  I tried very small, and very large grips.  The small grips did help turn the racket over for a topspin forehand, like a draw in golf.  The jumbo helped produce a flat drive with little wrist action, like a push fade in golf.  But the key item I learned was that you must have the proper fitting grip to produce both shots at will.  Grip too small, your grip pressure is too tight.  Too large, you can't control the club.

Bottom line: Play grips that fit your hand size.

Driver: Callaway RAZR Fit (8.5 degree; Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x shaft)

Fairway Wood: Callaway RAZR Fit 3-wood (15 degree; Graphite Design Tour AD GT 7x shaft)

Hybrid: Callaway X Hot Pro (18 degree; Matrix Ozik HM3 Black Tie shaft)

Iron (3): Callaway X Utility Prototype (21 degree; True Temper Dynamic Gold S400 shaft)

Irons (4-9): Callaway RAZR X MuscleBack (True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue shafts)

Wedges: Callaway X Forged (48, 52 and 60 degree; True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue shafts)

Putter: Odyssey Tour Milled #1

Grip size cana ctually make a big difference. Fo rme I fit into a midsize grip. When I went to a midsize grip I found it wasnt as comfortable and I could ge tit to roll over as well. Since then I have moved to a grip that has an extra 2 wraps under the grip. Slightly larger than standard but not quite midsize

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

..you can also look at the lie angle as well, that can also cause a potential left or right shot, too flat is fade , too upright is draw. I know there are some guys that will leave clubs flat or upright to counteract their tendencies and straighten the ball out.

Yes!! Lie angle and shaft length (and type) have much greater effects on ball flight - suggest getting fitted, or if you already have, maybe re-fitted (and maybe somewhere else?).

Grip size does have an effect, but less compared to other factors ... almost more about comfort / what feels best in your hands.

*As others mentioned: which allows you to grip and swing with the proper grip pressure?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Agree with most others here - grip is a static measurement and if it doesn't fit, like anything else with your equipment, it can lead to problems.

Whether or not the size of a grip is directly related to one shot shape to another is an absolute myth. People who tend to hook will hook and vice versa for slicers etc.

What is factual is three key elements are required to ensure the correct swing - grip, stance, alignment.

If any one or more of these are wrong, or you have a habit of making them variable at address in relation to the club, then there is a strong possibility that the outcome of the shot is predetermined by an incorrect set up. The incorrect grip can exacerbate this - and it follows that the incorrect grip size will ultimately compound the error even more.

So get fitted for a grip size that fits your hand comfortably and which allows the best possible set up position and takeaway. But if you're thinking that a certain size can fix swing faults though, or influence ball flight for a neutral swing, then you're mistaken.

I don't remember where and when I red that, but when I decided to get back in the game, I re-griped all my clubs with smaller grip.  I went to 2-3 extra tape to none.  I don't believe it help one bit.  I actually realized that a fair number of my bad shots were due to griping the club too hard...

I'm in the process of being professionally fitted for the first time and one of the first thing the club fitter said when he saw my slim grip was:"show me your hand"... and then "this is wrong, you definitely need bigger grips..."

In short, based on my experience: anecdotal.  Glad I experimented though, now I'm leaving it in the hands of a pro.

Driver:  Taylormade R1,65g Aldila RIP Phenom TP, Stiff
Fairway: Callaway FT 4 wood 16° Aldila  XVS6 "PGA Tour Only"
Hybrid: : Sonartec MD 19° Stiff Stepless steel
Irons: RSi 1 5i-AW, KBS Tour S (5.7)
Wedges: Callaway X-Tour forged 56° and Scratch 8620 60°
Putter: MannKrafted custom putter

When I was fit he told me that the bigger grips are too hard to turn thru the ball if you have smaller hands. Opposite of it's too small. Then your grip is going to be way too tight. I'm a mid size plus two wraps.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I ordered mid-size grips for the Mizuno JPX EZ Forged irons, I did not put this in the Stage 2 review because that was about the irons not the grips, but I went from a slide draw on all iron shots to a slight fade and had to adjust my set up for that.

I mention it in my Stage 1 portion but since I spent time on the range then, I worked it out, but it does make a difference.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• 9 months later...

Interesting read here.  I've noticed more high pushes to the right since I had a jumbo grip put on one of my drivers. I normally play midsize grips on my clubs and my normal shot shape is a  draw. I'm not sure if it's the larger grip delaying my hands from coming through the ball OR the senior flex shaft that came with the driver.  My suspicion is the senior flex shaft is not firm enough to square the head up.  My swing speed runs in the upper 80's to low 90's.  Any thoughts?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I have the GP CP2-wrap on all my clubs. These grips have a slightly reduced taper in the lower hand - meaning they are slightly thicker. It's noticeable when you hold a club without this feature. The grips also have a 2.5" Control Core Stabilizer insert incorporated into the butt end of the grip. GP says it reduces torque by 41%. I suppose. Personally I don't think I can tell. I like the grips a lot and would re-grip with them next time.

I switched to the CP2 mid season last year due to the reduced taper because I was getting too "handsy" in my swing.  I was suprised, but I certainly noticed it!  

It's not a "non-taper" grip but the reduced taper certainly helps.  They are also quite comfortable - not a stiff rubber grip.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I switched to the CP2 mid season last year due to the reduced taper because I was getting too "handsy" in my swing.  I was suprised, but I certainly noticed it!  

It's not a "non-taper" grip but the reduced taper certainly helps.  They are also quite comfortable - not a stiff rubber grip.

Back in 2014 when I was fit for my current irons I selected Tour Velvet grips. My fitter recommended one extra tape wrap in the lower section/hand of the grip. I liked the way my lower (right hand) felt on the grip. Ever so slight but noticeable. I ended up not liking the TV grips all that much and changed them out in the first 6-12 months I recall for the CP2. Now I don't add any extra buildup in the lower section due to the CP2's reduced taper. It's perfect for me.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Interesting read here.  I've noticed more high pushes to the right since I had a jumbo grip put on one of my drivers. I normally play midsize grips on my clubs and my normal shot shape is a  draw. I'm not sure if it's the larger grip delaying my hands from coming through the ball OR the senior flex shaft that came with the driver.  My suspicion is the senior flex shaft is not firm enough to square the head up.  My swing speed runs in the upper 80's to low 90's.  Any thoughts?

Bet my left one it's the shaft. I've always played R flex and pushed/sliced my driver. When I was fit for the Mizuno, the fitter said that I was overpowering the shaft and put me in an S flex...started hitting it straight or nice little draws, unless I try and swing out of my shoes.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Bet my left one it's the shaft. I've always played R flex and pushed/sliced my driver. When I was fit for the Mizuno, the fitter said that I was overpowering the shaft and put me in an S flex...started hitting it straight or nice little draws, unless I try and swing out of my shoes.

I'd bet my right one you are on to something

If I can find a good Ping fitter in my neck of the woods, I'll get this figured out. Every time I try to step on the pedal I fan one out to the right.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

I tend to agree with everyone about the shaft.  Although shafts in senior flex vary between manufacturers, I think your ss fits more into regular flex than senior.  It also depends on your transition and tempo.  My ss is a little less than yours and I have been playing regular, but I may be headed to senior in my next driver.

As for the grip... I think the tendency for a bigger grip, unless it fits your hands correctly, is less wrist cock usually means less distance and lower ball flight.  If you are hitting a high push, I don't see that being due to the grip.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have small hands......but found using a midsize grip in one driver(Powerbilt AFO DFX) helped keep it in the fairway. My other drivers(Cobra King and Wilson Triton) still have regular grips. I know that midsize on the irons, is not good for me. I have arthritis in my fingers so the midsize grip helps as I don't have to squeeze as hard but it keeps me from a proper position when I strike the ball. I tried them several years ago and my handicap went from 13 to 20 in 6 months.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I have small hands......but found using a midsize grip in one driver(Powerbilt AFO DFX) helped keep it in the fairway. My other drivers(Cobra King and Wilson Triton) still have regular grips. I know that midsize on the irons, is not good for me. I have arthritis in my fingers so the midsize grip helps as I don't have to squeeze as hard but it keeps me from a proper position when I strike the ball. I tried them several years ago and my handicap went from 13 to 20 in 6 months.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Very similar here - small hands with arthritis creeping in (heck it's already everywhere else, why not) so the grip ain't what it used to be... Especially in the left hand after an injury.

Tried mid-size two seasons ago, the CP2 Core, and they're nice grips but have also gone back to standard now (no extra wraps).

Feel like I have better control through impact.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I changed my driver grips from the Jumbo to the mid size CP2 Core which will be my go to from now on.  Much better feel than those big boys which felt like I was trying to milk a Jersey Bull :blink: 

Cleveland

Wouldn't it depend (a bit) on how you are gripping the club? I ask because when I used regular grips I would choke the grip, I always felt like I didn't have a good grasp of the club and it could fly out of my hands, this created tension in my hands and forearms. Fitting suggested 1/64 over standard so I tried a midsize grip. I found that the larger size felt more comfortable, I could relax my hands.

I still play a left to right ball flight (right handed) but I have better contact and consistency then I did with standard grips.

Golfpride tour wrap 2G - midsize

RBZ 10.5* driver

DTG Turner H-1 4/5/7 woods

Titleist AP1 irons

TM Tour Preferred wedges (50/54/58)

Hannah C curve putter

My swing speed is on the cusp, stiff flex driver, working down to a regular flex in the irons.

Archived