MattF

Size of grip and it's effects on ball flight

Our Sponsors

Interesting read here.  I've noticed more high pushes to the right since I had a jumbo grip put on one of my drivers. I normally play midsize grips on my clubs and my normal shot shape is a  draw. I'm not sure if it's the larger grip delaying my hands from coming through the ball OR the senior flex shaft that came with the driver.  My suspicion is the senior flex shaft is not firm enough to square the head up.  My swing speed runs in the upper 80's to low 90's.  Any thoughts?

I have the GP CP2-wrap on all my clubs. These grips have a slightly reduced taper in the lower hand - meaning they are slightly thicker. It's noticeable when you hold a club without this feature. The grips also have a 2.5" Control Core Stabilizer insert incorporated into the butt end of the grip. GP says it reduces torque by 41%. I suppose. Personally I don't think I can tell. I like the grips a lot and would re-grip with them next time.

I switched to the CP2 mid season last year due to the reduced taper because I was getting too "handsy" in my swing.  I was suprised, but I certainly noticed it!  

It's not a "non-taper" grip but the reduced taper certainly helps.  They are also quite comfortable - not a stiff rubber grip.

I switched to the CP2 mid season last year due to the reduced taper because I was getting too "handsy" in my swing.  I was suprised, but I certainly noticed it!  

It's not a "non-taper" grip but the reduced taper certainly helps.  They are also quite comfortable - not a stiff rubber grip.

Back in 2014 when I was fit for my current irons I selected Tour Velvet grips. My fitter recommended one extra tape wrap in the lower section/hand of the grip. I liked the way my lower (right hand) felt on the grip. Ever so slight but noticeable. I ended up not liking the TV grips all that much and changed them out in the first 6-12 months I recall for the CP2. Now I don't add any extra buildup in the lower section due to the CP2's reduced taper. It's perfect for me.

• Like 1

Interesting read here.  I've noticed more high pushes to the right since I had a jumbo grip put on one of my drivers. I normally play midsize grips on my clubs and my normal shot shape is a  draw. I'm not sure if it's the larger grip delaying my hands from coming through the ball OR the senior flex shaft that came with the driver.  My suspicion is the senior flex shaft is not firm enough to square the head up.  My swing speed runs in the upper 80's to low 90's.  Any thoughts?

Bet my left one it's the shaft. I've always played R flex and pushed/sliced my driver. When I was fit for the Mizuno, the fitter said that I was overpowering the shaft and put me in an S flex...started hitting it straight or nice little draws, unless I try and swing out of my shoes.

• Like 3

Bet my left one it's the shaft. I've always played R flex and pushed/sliced my driver. When I was fit for the Mizuno, the fitter said that I was overpowering the shaft and put me in an S flex...started hitting it straight or nice little draws, unless I try and swing out of my shoes.

I'd bet my right one you are on to something

If I can find a good Ping fitter in my neck of the woods, I'll get this figured out. Every time I try to step on the pedal I fan one out to the right.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I tend to agree with everyone about the shaft.  Although shafts in senior flex vary between manufacturers, I think your ss fits more into regular flex than senior.  It also depends on your transition and tempo.  My ss is a little less than yours and I have been playing regular, but I may be headed to senior in my next driver.

As for the grip... I think the tendency for a bigger grip, unless it fits your hands correctly, is less wrist cock usually means less distance and lower ball flight.  If you are hitting a high push, I don't see that being due to the grip.

• Like 2

I have small hands......but found using a midsize grip in one driver(Powerbilt AFO DFX) helped keep it in the fairway. My other drivers(Cobra King and Wilson Triton) still have regular grips. I know that midsize on the irons, is not good for me. I have arthritis in my fingers so the midsize grip helps as I don't have to squeeze as hard but it keeps me from a proper position when I strike the ball. I tried them several years ago and my handicap went from 13 to 20 in 6 months.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I have small hands......but found using a midsize grip in one driver(Powerbilt AFO DFX) helped keep it in the fairway. My other drivers(Cobra King and Wilson Triton) still have regular grips. I know that midsize on the irons, is not good for me. I have arthritis in my fingers so the midsize grip helps as I don't have to squeeze as hard but it keeps me from a proper position when I strike the ball. I tried them several years ago and my handicap went from 13 to 20 in 6 months.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Very similar here - small hands with arthritis creeping in (heck it's already everywhere else, why not) so the grip ain't what it used to be... Especially in the left hand after an injury.

Tried mid-size two seasons ago, the CP2 Core, and they're nice grips but have also gone back to standard now (no extra wraps).

Feel like I have better control through impact.

I changed my driver grips from the Jumbo to the mid size CP2 Core which will be my go to from now on.  Much better feel than those big boys which felt like I was trying to milk a Jersey Bull :blink: 

• Like 2

Wouldn't it depend (a bit) on how you are gripping the club? I ask because when I used regular grips I would choke the grip, I always felt like I didn't have a good grasp of the club and it could fly out of my hands, this created tension in my hands and forearms. Fitting suggested 1/64 over standard so I tried a midsize grip. I found that the larger size felt more comfortable, I could relax my hands.

I still play a left to right ball flight (right handed) but I have better contact and consistency then I did with standard grips.

Golfpride tour wrap 2G - midsize

• Like 1