TESTERS WANTED! ×

Break Down

Kor.A.Door

What part of your game breaks down when the pressure is on.

I've played some match play inter club matches over the last couple years, and what I find is that my short game really breaks down when the pressure is on. anything from 120 and in, chip shots, pitch shots, long putts, my short putts were good. I went to the back nine 1 down, I had 118 yards, hit it slightly heavy came up well short 4 feet from front of the green, left the putt 15 feet short tie 10, I won 11, 12, and 13, I'm 2 up and shrinking the ball well, too well I hit 7 iron from 168 into the wind, and flew it 178 over the green, lost 14, here is where the trouble starts, I'm 1 up, and the pressure is on to finish, I hit a good drive on 15, left 100 yards, the guy I was playing bladed his shot over the green, I hit a horrible fatty, that went 80 yards, now I have a pitch shot from 15 yards off the front, hit it heavy missed the putt for 5, tied the hole, I lost 16 to his birdie, on 17, I had 118 yards again, hit it short and left into the abyss bunker. (Side note: this is a bunker that I watched a guy take 8 strokes to get out of) ok, so someone in a group in front of us did a horrible job of raking, they left a Little trough, with a big mound of sand behind it, and where did my ball end up, right in the trough, I had absolutely no chance to do anything, I lost 17, and then tied 18 to finish 1 down, I had 3 shots 2 from 118, and 1 from 100 and I didn't even come close to putting any of them on the green, if I would have pared 10, and 15 I win the match at hole 16. It's clear to me what I need to work on, how about y'all, what breaks down in your game when the pressure is on.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I would say my tee shots (regardless of club I choose)

You can give me a 120 yard PW from the fairway and 120 yard PW on the tee of a Par 3 and I'm pretty sure I have much higher chances of screwing the Par 3 shot.

Driving is also the weakest part of my game :D (I think I found a reason to buy the King LTD)

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

For me it's no particular shot, but more I forget my pre shot routine, and hit the ball when I know I'm not ready.

Then come the recriminations, especially as it usually results in real trouble.

My last few rounds I've really been focussing in, which has been working well on the tee, but I can't seem to apply it for second shots.

Next step is to improve my focus, across the board.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I am not really sure at this point......Saturday, I shot a 38 on the Front, with 2 Birdies(Par 3 & Par 5).  Then, I turned to the Back 9 and shot a whopping 50! Total for 18 was 88.  I know it was not lack of energy, as I consumed a couple fig newtons after 7, along with a Gatorade.  I also know that the wind had picked up and was causing some issues.  I just could not get my act in gear, sloppy chips, sloppy bunker play, three putts......, I just lost my entire short game on the Back!

Then sunday, i gamed a different Driver(Fly Z+ with weight forard), 9i(SCOR 41*) & PW(SCOR 45*).  I shot a 42/43= 85.  Not spectacular but more balanced.  

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Decision making, it's generally between the ears that lets me down. That will manifest itself physically but it's almost always a mental breakdown.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Decision making, it's generally between the ears that lets me down. That will manifest itself physically but it's almost always a mental breakdown.

That is correct......I am sure the 38 in my head just put a lot of unnecessary pressure on me so I screwed up!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I agree with decision making, but it also comes on holes where I have a history of poor shots.  I wish I could be one of those players that forgets past shots; my wife does.  I have three particular holes where I have put up big numbers in the past and I remember every one of them. I have birdied each of those holes, but when the pressure is on to produce a good shot, only the bad ones get remembered!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I agree with decision making, but it also comes on holes where I have a history of poor shots. I wish I could be one of those players that forgets past shots; my wife does. I have three particular holes where I have put up big numbers in the past and I remember every one of them. I have birdied each of those holes, but when the pressure is on to produce a good shot, only the bad ones get remembered!

That's a part of the between the ears stuff. And I agree! Under pressure the most important thing is to select your shot or line and then make a positive swing or normal putting stroke and then from there accept the results. That gets harder on a hole that's been a nemesis. We all have those.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

For me it's a long iron on a par three. At my home course there are two long par 3's on the back 9. Depending on conditions I might hit a 4i-5i most days. Our par three number #16 is tough and requires a precision shot to a small green. It's guarded on the front left and right with bunkers. Long is dead as the green slopes back to front. Wide left is dead too as there is a thick stand of pines. Just a beast and it gets my goat more often than not.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'd say driving. I'm a pretty clutch putter, but I start to put pressure on good drives and hit them all over the place.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Slow down and take some deep breaths. The other issue, and this maybe the root of the issue is when the pressure is on I extend to get quick in the transition area, it's a bad affect with the long clubs, but it seems to cause the short lefts for me. I need to concentrate on a smooth transition from the top.

Sometimes I break down and start to cry...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

For me, it's chipping and putting. I tend to start chunking chips for reason. I'm not a very good putter, but I start to miss easy 3-4 footers when I'm having a bad round.

AND when I start to miss 3-4 footers, that is when it leads to a bad round.  

My good rounds always have decent drives and good chipping and putting.  What happens out in the fairway only matters if I mishit a shot; but a decent short game can sometimes save those shots.  I usually miss quite a few greens because I just don't have the length anymore to get there, so I have worked all winter on chipping and pitching.  When that's on, I can break 80 frequently; when it's not, then I have longer putts and my scores tend to be mid to high 80's.  Now, if I drive the ball poorly coupled with poor short game, then my scores will exceed 90.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I agree Kenny, driving the ball will determine the way the round turns out, As I play in more tourneys I am finding that 90-120 shot is where I have the issues, it could be a lack of focus, and not taking time to take a breath and relax before swinging, the heart rate goes up and the swing gets quick, which for me ends up short and left with the short clubs, because I usually come down to steep and stick the club straight into the ground, and a nasty 50 yard hook with the long shots, the onl shots that are good when they are done quickly are the ones with a name like, jack, Jim, John, or Evan, and those are usually done with a glass, not a wedge

Archived