TESTERS WANTED! ×

DeChambeau's irons

dnj7911

So I think it's a really cool approach - science is cool - but it did occur to me that a 3-iron with a 6-iron shaft won't go as far as one with a 3-iron shaft.  Likewise, a wedge with a 6-iron shaft will go farther than one with a wedge shaft.  You get the picture.  So has he tweaked lofts to get the proper gap between clubs?

I imagine we'll be reading a lot more about him and his clubs in the near future, but I thought I'd throw this out there for discussion!

Taylor Made M3 driver

Callaway Rogue 3+ fairway

Srixon 565 4, 6-A

Titleist H1 4 and 6 hybrids

Vokey 54 and 58

I read where the biggest change was in swingweights.....he added to the longer clubs to make up for shorter shafts.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Lofts are different; lengths are the same; head weights are the same.  The 3i is about 25g heavier than normal; the wedge is about 25g lighter.

With the same swing the lofts are selected to give the preferred yardage gaps.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Have you guys seen the large grips he uses on his irons? They're extra thick grips and almost look like the size of the Super Stroke putter grips. Those have to add some extra weight too. I'll be interested to read more about his reasoning behind it all!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have read up on the subject quite a bit over on WRX. Yep with all the factors combined the clubs have to really be engineered correctly and yes those big grips have a lot to do with the head weight seems to me they would counter balance it quite a bit to compared to say a GP Tour Velvet. I also know there are some special machining things done to compensate for the extremely upright lie angle. If you see Bryson swing he is extremely upright and a tall player too.

Tom Wishon has also engineered a set of constant length heads and is training his dealers on the proper fitting methods involved

If you look at some of Bryson's WITB pics of his Edel irons you will see the heads are machined especially the long irons for a mass amount of what I assume are tungsten weights bolted on.

It is going to be very interesting from an equipment junkie's (me) standpoint of how all of this is going to work out in the future and the impact it may have on the game overall. You know brilliant engineering minds always strive to "build a better mousetrap". Personally and honestly for my game I have mixed feelings

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Are his specs USGA legal? 

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM + TWITTER + YOUTUBE

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:scotty-small:  Tour Issue Circle T - Tour Rat I

Are his specs USGA legal?

The only thing he has done is make the clubs more upright and added a ton of weight to them. Yes there is science behind it, but in laymens terms that is all he has done, since almost everyone does that with their clubs, why would it be illegal for him to do it. He just uses more than others, So to answer the question, yes they have to be legal or he wouldn't be allowed to use them.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

The only thing he has done is make the clubs more upright and added a ton of weight to them. Yes there is science behind it, but in laymens terms that is all he has done, since almost everyone does that with their clubs, why would it be illegal for him to do it. He just uses more than others, So to answer the question, yes they have to be legal or he wouldn't be allowed to use them.

Sounds legit. I really want to try this concept, but i'm not down to cut my gamer clubs! haha. 

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

It's a big risk and investment to get all your clubs with a custom shaft and fat grip. But then again, it may just be the answer. If the shaft is the same length and the club is the same weight throughout, the process of building a consistent swing all of a sudden becomes a lot more feasible....a lot to think about here

brofessionalgolfer.com B) - check us out, bro!

Twitter: @BroGolfer

Facebook 

Instagram

It's a big risk and investment to get all your clubs with a custom shaft and fat grip. But then again, it may just be the answer. If the shaft is the same length and the club is the same weight throughout, the process of building a consistent swing all of a sudden becomes a lot more feasible....a lot to think about here

Indeed..

Edel looks to be coming out with a single length set.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Edel looks to be coming out with a single length set.

Damn, I would like to to hit a 3,4,5 iron. LOL 

Last year I ordered a set of single length irons from 1iron golf.  I did not get big grips for the clubs even though I use jumbo grips on my regular clubs.  

The concept of the single length clubs worked fine.  I had very even gapping.  What I couldn't get used to was the clunky, super game improvement heads.  There was no feel in hitting the shots.  If the Edel clubs feel better, I would consider trying single length clubs again.  

The set had a 30 day return period.  (Note:  used clubs on the site are cheaper but do not have the guarantee.)  I returned my set for a full refund, less shipping.  

Some of the 1irons clubs are not USGA conforming, but the pro set is.  I got the conforming set.  

The 1iron golf site has quite a bit of information on single length irons--just keep in mind they are trying to sell clubs.  

http://www.1irongolf.com

Have you guys seen the large grips he uses on his irons? They're extra thick grips and almost look like the size of the Super Stroke putter grips. Those have to add some extra weight too. I'll be interested to read more about his reasoning behind it all!

I Read somewhere he uses the Moe Norman single plane swing which requires more of a palm grip in the right hand and non taper grips which makes them look rather large.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I Read somewhere he uses the Moe Norman single plane swing which requires more of a palm grip in the right hand and non taper grips which makes them look rather large.

He plays Jumbomax grips. They are crazy big

http://www.jumbomax.com/swing-grips/

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

He plays Jumbomax grips. They are crazy big

http://www.jumbomax.com/swing-grips/

Those are crazy big. I use midsize grips and the guys in my group razz me about the size, I'll have to pass this on to them. lol

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

As someone who is a one planer, it is intriguing, I already play 2* upright for ping and mizuno, but stock for titleist, no more changing width or change in posture. It sounds good to me!

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I think the idea of having the same length club is so you can have the same swing with all of the clubs, ball position, stance in relation to the ball, it's always the same, therefore it eliminates some of the variables,m. This really does not intrigue me at all, Bryson has scientifically set these up for him, and the cost must be crazy expensive to do it. I've heard the first set he did took like 3 days per club to get right. No thanks. It works for him, just not interested enough to give it a shot.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

nteresting info on the jumbomax grips! .I couldn't even bring myself to go with the Golf Pride MCC plus4 grips for fear of...actually, not sure what I was fearful of!  Change I guess.  I put jumbo on my driver and 3 wood and haven't noticed any negative effects.

Taylor Made M3 driver

Callaway Rogue 3+ fairway

Srixon 565 4, 6-A

Titleist H1 4 and 6 hybrids

Vokey 54 and 58

And I I thought Edel said he would never produce another set of single length irons......

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

That is correct

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I am not sure if DeChambeau uses a palm grip, but Moe Norman never used the palm grip until he hawked for Natural Golf.  Moe's swing is taught by Graves Golf Academy, and they do not teach the palm grip.  Graves bought out Natural Golf so they could change some of the misconceptions of Moe's swing from Natural Golf.  Todd Graves studied under Moe for several years before he died, and can absolutely duplicate his swing.  I tried Natural Golf before Graves took over and I have been to several schools taught by GGA.  Todd Graves teaches it right.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks alfriday.....the site of 1golf is very informative.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I heard that DeChambeau's clubs are bent 13 degrees upright.

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

I heard that DeChambeau's clubs are bent 13 degrees upright.

I don't think so... I would say it's more like 7 degrees.

I don't think so... I would say it's more like 7 degrees.

73° lie angle so almost 10 degrees upright

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

73° lie angle so almost 10 degrees upright

Sounds like 13° upright to me.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I've heard various lie angles for his clubs ranging from 69 to 72.5 degrees.  A standard 6i is 62 degrees, so it could be 7 to 10.5 degrees upright.  So, I guess it all depends on who you listen to.

Anyway, it's a far cry from my 6i which is 59 degrees!!

I actually installed a set of jumbo max grips on a gentleman's clubs last year. He has arthuritus real bad and his hands are all curled up and such but he just wants to play. He had ordered them off of TV and these local A-hole golf shops around here did not want to put them on for him because he did not purchase them from their store. My buddy the Miura dealer would have done them for him but he was closed out of town playing in a tournament. One of the bag drop guys told him see that big guy on the range? talk to him he will do it. The man came over to me and asked and I said sure come on. He said he wanted to play that afternoon I told him no problem. We grabbed his clubs threw them in my truck and went to my shop around the corner and I air blew them on for him in about 15 minutes. he asked me how much? I told him just give me $10 he looked shocked and said hell no! it is worth more than that to me he insisted on giving me $20 all the while saying I worked too cheap. I explained to him that I did not run my shop for a living it was just my hobby and supplimented my club hoeing and tinkering habit. he did play that afternoon and was pain free and the smile on his face was priceless. He was from out of town so I have not seen him since.

G

I've heard various lie angles for his clubs ranging from 69 to 72.5 degrees.  A standard 6i is 62 degrees, so it could be 7 to 10.5 degrees upright.  So, I guess it all depends on who you listen to.

Anyway, it's a far cry from my 6i which is 59 degrees!!

Kenny remember different manufacturers have different standard specs for their standard lie number. There are no general set in stone standard lie specs but the 62* 6I is generally a accepted number for a starting point. LOL I guess with Bryson's clubs being custom from the head forging up that the 69 or 72.5 (depending on who you listen to as you stated) would be standard for that paticular head design. When I fit up someone I never pay attention to "spec" for the club I put them on the lie board and go from there. The only time I go by spec is if say someone has had a set bent up and wants to sell them and wants it put to the manufacturers specs.

G

Archived