GolfSpy Barbajo

The Nike Brand - Thoughts?

Our Sponsors

Also I don't think there is much correlation between tester apps and brand popularity. We are all club hos at heart. Throw out at testing opportunity and we're in. It doesn't cost anything except time on the range and on the keyboard writing about golf. How many apps were there for the Mizuno test? But now consider that the first revie is up and the Martini tee thread is getting more views. It's the views and comments on the product that are the tip off.

This. And if you look at some of the applications, some of them are already playing the current line of Nike drivers. That's some serious ho'ing :D

• Like 1

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 9* w/ Aldila Rogue MAX 65 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black S 80
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Just an observation.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I have two pair of shorts, their golf equipment I will never own.

Not sure why. 

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

Not sure why. 

You??? No.... I woulda never guessed  :lol:

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

I've never owned any of their clubs, but they have made some of my favorite balls, in different brackets... For the dough, One RZNX was outstanding, imo, and really been liking RZN Black.

• Like 1

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Not sure why. 

Just a question. You seem to shut them down without much thought. If you went to a demo day and you took 5 swings with all of them. Lets say the Nike for whatever reason was giving you an extra 5 yards and your dispersion was the tightest with the nike you wouldnt own it?

• Like 1

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

Just a question. You seem to shut them down without much thought. If you went to a demo day and you took 5 swings with all of them. Lets say the Nike for whatever reason was giving you an extra 5 yards and your dispersion was the tightest with the nike you wouldnt own it?

Well, for me that would never happen.  If I have a preconceived opinion about a club, I will not hit it well, I don't care who makes it.  It all started with the Sasquatch.  I would never own Nike clubs, or really anything Nike.  I did have a pair of shoes once, but those weren't even golf shoes.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've never owned any of their clubs, but they have made some of my favorite balls, in different brackets... For the dough, One RZNX was outstanding, imo, and really been liking RZN Black.

The new Tour RZN series is really good also. 

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM + TWITTER + YOUTUBE

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:scotty-small:  Tour Issue Circle T - Tour Rat I

Well, for me that would never happen.  If I have a preconceived opinion about a club, I will not hit it well, I don't care who makes it.  It all started with the Sasquatch.  I would never own Nike clubs, or really anything Nike.  I did have a pair of shoes once, but those weren't even golf shoes.  

Then you are missing out. The new black and blue head performs better for me than anything else. I had the exact scenario I gave. I told my self to put a good swing on everything I did no matter the look or brand. Ones I thought I liked didnt perform and one I didnt think I would like out drove everything on track man by 7-8 yards. Ill take the shorter club all day. It can be anything. If the hammer performed Id use it.

• Like 2

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

I haven't owned anything with a swoosh on it for over twenty years.  While completely unfounded, when I see someone all decked out in Nike gear I assume they just started playing the game.  Even after they take my money.  I guess I'm old school and I think about Karsten Solheim tinkering with a putter in his garage in 1959, or Gary Adams contemplating how to take advantage of the 2 piece ball..woods made of metal hmmm.  Or how about Ely Callaway selling Hickory sticks out of the trunk of his Caddy?  Its tradition that Nike lacks.  They will most certainly get there, but not in time to find their way into my bag.  numberonecoog is correct in that if the club improves your game then you should play it, but sometimes ignorance is bliss.

• Like 1

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

Then you are missing out. The new black and blue head performs better for me than anything else. I had the exact scenario I gave. I told my self to put a good swing on everything I did no matter the look or brand. Ones I thought I liked didnt perform and one I didnt think I would like out drove everything on track man by 7-8 yards. Ill take the shorter club all day. It can be anything. If the hammer performed Id use it.

I get ya. I went to a fitting really wanting to buy the AP2 and really disliking Callaway, came out with the Apex. Now even considering their drivers.

I'll take whatever helps my game!

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 9* w/ Aldila Rogue MAX 65 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black S 80
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I have been gaming Nike for years. Not on purpose, I am an advocate for whatever hits and feels good then it's in the bag. I like the look of Nike and I like that they are finally changing the colors. I feel like they really drew out the Victory Red era. But I have mostly VR in my bag now. So I do love the feel of the equipment and I love the VR ProCombo more than Vapors. Love the look of the Vapor line and now the Vapor fly. Looks great, I have hit them and I like my VR better. Tiger Woods is not hurting or helping the brand. Nike is nice to continue the obligation to him but right now he is almost neutral for them, in my opinion. If they dropped Tiger I doubt they would see a decline at all. But if Tiger makes the comeback that deep inside we all hope he does the Nike will win big. Rory is trying to keep up with his body, he might look like he is getting bulky but I think he is fine. He does show that golfers can be in shape, following Tiger Woods I would like to add. Rory has mentioned that he has a degenerative disease and this is a precaution. He is smart enough to know his limits. Stay fit Rory, keep it up! Yes, Thorbjorn Olesen is a super cool name. He should have a limited edition logo like the old TW logo it's so cool. Lol. The equipment is as good or better than the "Big 5" mentioned. I think Nike Golf will always have a big golf following and I believe they are in the "Big 5". Personal thoughts, what do you think?

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

"What better gift from God than acres of neatly manicured scenery to chase a ball on!"

There is no doubt that Nike puts out excellent equipment. I've hit a lot of their releases and they are right up there with the big 5. I think the issue is that Nike doesn't know where it fits into the golfing world. It isn't traditional like a Titleist, Mizuno, or PING. But its not like TM, and Callaway either. It always seems like they market themselves as pushing the envelop on every release. In my opinion their best equipment has always been the ones that border on the traditional side. 

In my bag:

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9* Project X Smoke Green 60 6.5

Wood: :cobra-small: Speedzone Big Tour 13.5* Project X Smoke Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrids: :755178188_TourEdge: CB Pro U 17* Mitsubishi Kura Kage Silver 90X

Irons: :cobra-small: King Forged CB/MB 3-PW Modus Tour 120X

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM 52* and 58* Modus Tour 130 Wedge 

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I guess I'm old school and I think about Karsten Solheim tinkering with a putter in his garage in 1959, or Gary Adams contemplating how to take advantage of the 2 piece ball..woods made of metal hmmm.  Or how about Ely Callaway selling Hickory sticks out of the trunk of his Caddy?  Its tradition that Nike lacks.  

Tradition is an interesting thing. Ever wonder why Nike's The Oven is in Fort Worth?  I sure did - and asked when we visited there in November of 2014.

Nike HQ is in Oregon, but golf is in Fort Worth because they hired up a whole batch of old Hogan employees, including designers, technicians, etc, in the mid/late 90's when they started their Golf division. Their feeling is that if you want the DNA of the old Hogan company, it's with Nike.  I'm not sure how many are left, but Mike Taylor is there as their master club guy -- if you want to spend an hour just listening, ask him who was the better ball striker - Hogan or Tiger.  

• Like 3

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Where is EthanSterlingPrice to weigh in? He plays all Nike no? Company hook up or really likes the clubs?

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: Clicgear 3.5+

Driver:   :taylormade-small: R11, Fujikura blur S

Woods:     :mizuno-small:   JPX EZ, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: Miura PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: Miura 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Tradition is an interesting thing. Ever wonder why Nike's The Oven is in Fort Worth?  I sure did - and asked when we visited there in November of 2014.

Nike HQ is in Oregon, but golf is in Fort Worth because they hired up a whole batch of old Hogan employees, including designers, technicians, etc, in the mid/late 90's when they started their Golf division. Their feeling is that if you want the DNA of the old Hogan company, it's with Nike.  I'm not sure how many are left, but Mike Taylor is there as their master club guy -- if you want to spend an hour just listening, ask him who was the better ball striker - Hogan or Tiger.

Um boss man I'm gonna need an answer to that last part. We've talked about this kinda thing before but this never came up. You've been holding out on me...

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

Um boss man I'm gonna need an answer to that last part. We've talked about this kinda thing before but this never came up. You've been holding out on me...

Seems to me like that might be worth it's own thread.

• Like 3

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Where is EthanSterlingPrice to weigh in? He plays all Nike no? Company hook up or really likes the clubs?

you called? Lol

Yeah I'm really sold on the Nike Golf they put out great gear. At first I wouldn't even try them but my first time practicing with my coach (who was sponsored by Nike) he joked about how he would have me playing Nike head to toe by the time he was done with me, I told him not a chance. Eventually I gave in and tried a set of the Vr Pro Combo irons he'd been trying to get me to tinker with and I fell in love with them. From there I started using all Nike gear.

I think the company is heading in the right direction and has placed itself in a good spot to give the other OEM's a run for their money. A lot of their marketing is directed at the younger generations that will be playing for a long time and the players they're picking up are also the younger more dynamic players who they can really pitch and sell products with. I see Nike busting through and really putting the stress on the "big 5" to keep up here really soon.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Tradition is an interesting thing. Ever wonder why Nike's The Oven is in Fort Worth? I sure did - and asked when we visited there in November of 2014.

Nike HQ is in Oregon, but golf is in Fort Worth because they hired up a whole batch of old Hogan employees, including designers, technicians, etc, in the mid/late 90's when they started their Golf division. Their feeling is that if you want the DNA of the old Hogan company, it's with Nike. I'm not sure how many are left, but Mike Taylor is there as their master club guy -- if you want to spend an hour just listening, ask him who was the better ball striker - Hogan or Tiger.

strangely enough this is another reason I decided to give Nike a shot. Call it being a stubborn Texan but I liked the idea of the golf branch being stationed here. As for those Hogan roots it's really REALLY interesting just how similar some of the recent releases between these two companies actually are. That conversation is probably long enough for a thread all its own though lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I used to play an entire bag of Nike clubs including the unitized putter. I always liked the clubs and the brand but after getting told I could order the new CC grooves without upcharge for a Nationwide Tour qualifier then when I placed the order I was told it was going to be $400 more because they were not released to public yet. I sold everything Nike the next day and replaced the entire bag with Titleist and have played either Titleist or Cobra since then.

I really do like the Nike clubs they currently offer and want to play them but I am having a hard time pulling the trigger. I dont think tiger helps the Brand much more anymore but he built Nike Golf. I also dont think he is hurting the Brand right now. Rory has has little effect on my opinion of the Brand and yes he is getting to Big needs to chill out on the heavy lifting.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X