GolfSpy Barbajo

The Nike Brand - Thoughts?

Our Sponsors

I've been a loyal Nike guy for years, there club quality is on par or better than most club manufacturers. I've never any quality control issues like TMAG. I have the vapor wood line and love it. I tested the vapor fly pro vs the M1/M2 and the numbers were almost identical.

Tiger is still a Titan and I think once he comes back will help Nike.

Rorys training is great for the game

Sent from my XT1254 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I am loyal to no brand, you folks get paid for this?

Probably not, go play a round of golf and enjoy!

Have a good weekend.

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

Posted Today, 06:46 PM

Have a good weekend.

Raining here.  Point-counter point on anything golf related is still golf related.  Better than watching TV.

• Like 1

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

Have a good weekend.

That's the dream.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

So, I was just thinking about how I recently flipped my gravity core to the up position and started just murdering the ball. I have a lower swing speed and probably benefit from a higher cg. When I looked at the cg moi chart, I noticed that Nike has a high back position that could probably give me the benefit of higher cg with greater forgiveness from the higher moi.

In a roundabout way, I am trying to say that Nike will be on the top of my list when I'm in the market for a new driver.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Tried some of their RZN One golf balls and they were significantly shorter (for me repeatably) off the Driver than a NXT Tour or Chrome Soft.  That's as far as I've ever been into their product lineup.  Their new wedges look interesting but not sure it's worth the risk when there are established legacy brands already making great equipment.

Risk is maybe the right word...  Buying Nike feels like a risk, because they take risks with their product lineup that others won't.  CB drivers, toe sweep wedges, neon colors, RZN EVERYWHERE.  The risk is that it was today's fad, gone tomorrow and you're left holding the bag on yesterday's flash in the pan.  

For some reason I'd feel like a Tiger poser too; not scared to say I bought new equipment but don't want people to think that I would buy Nike just because of Tiger and Rory.  It's the exact reason I won't buy their clothing...

• Like 2

I have limited experience with Nike.

Had a pair of shoes that I left at the clubhouse after a round, they disappeared.

Tried a ball, not sure what model about 15 years ago, hit it once, it too disappeared.

The disappearances were not necessarily Nike's fault!

Recently used a set of Nike rentals while in Hawaii. 2013 Coverts.  The shaft specs probably weren't perfect for me but they were ok.

Irons were a bit too chunky for my eye, 3 wood wanted to go left, 5 wood right. The 4 hybrid was pretty solid. Couldn't really just swing the driver as shaft was a bit whippy, but slower tempo swings went ok. Not too sure about the Method putters, the first one seemed a little off square.

Historically Nike has had a very low profile in terms of equipment in Australia. i think this is/was due to the importer having his own smallish chain of stores so they had limited availability. This seems to be changing recently.

I wouldn't write off any manufacturer, likewise I don't stick to any one brand (See whats in my bag!)

If it works, it works whoever makes it.

• Like 1

:ping-small:  G400 SFT with Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods with Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:mizuno-small: MP18 MMC FliHi 4 Iron - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges 50,54,58
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I wouldn't write off any manufacturer, likewise I don't stick to any one brand (See whats in my bag!)

If it works, it works whoever makes it.

You can trust a man who still has a Nickent 4Dx driver in his bag. Good on ya!!!!

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Risk is maybe the right word...  Buying Nike feels like a risk, because they take risks with their product lineup that others won't.  CB drivers, toe sweep wedges, neon colors, RZN EVERYWHERE.  The risk is that it was today's fad, gone tomorrow and you're left holding the bag on yesterday's flash in the pan.  

Had one of Nike's Toe Sweep wedges for a while, and like an idiot I gave it to wbealsd --he's still gaming it and loving it.  To be fair, he gave me his old Edel 56 degree, so we're even.

That said, I loved that wedge! It was like cheating out of the sand, great for flops and serviceable for chipping.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

You can trust a man who still has a Nickent 4Dx driver in his bag. Good on ya!!!!

Can't find anything I can consistently hit better, I'm not sure how much is the shaft. I've nearly pulled the trigger a few times, but couldn't justify the cost for little or no improvement.

• Like 1

:ping-small:  G400 SFT with Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods with Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:mizuno-small: MP18 MMC FliHi 4 Iron - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges 50,54,58
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Can't find anything I can consistently hit better, I'm not sure how much is the shaft. I've nearly pulled the trigger a few times, but couldn't justify the cost for little or no improvement.

if it ain't broke...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I had a covert driver too but it was much shorter than the Tour Edge I'm using now. I do believe that they have great stuff for certain people but it wasn't for me

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:                  :mizuno-small:  ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:    :adams-small:    Pro  2 hybrid 16*, Aldila Tour Red 75g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip 

:mizuno-small:           JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip                                  

IRONS:            :cobra-small:    King Forged Tour 4i-pw, KBS FLT, shafts, stiff,  Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

WEDGES:        rsz_scor-golf-logo.png        50, 55, 60 degree wedges with Genius 12 stiff flex,   Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

PUTTER:       :odyssey-small:    O-Works Marksman 33.5", Superstroke 1.0 Flatso grip w/ 50g counter core

BALL:          :bridgestone-small: Tour B X                                                     

BAG:          :Ogio:              Cirrus Golf Bag 

Shoes:              Skechers                  Hexgo Control  Shoes