Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Looking for a new putter...reccomendations?

alot412nv

Like my introduction says, I am not new to the game of golf but new to taking it seriously.  I recently decided to go and buy a new driver and set of irons, first time I didn't buy a packaged set. Well now I am looking to put a new putter in my bag and I really have no idea where to start. I played around with some Odyssey putters a few years ago and remember liking them, but I have a cousin who told me that they naturally lean left and he pulls everything he hits with an Odyssey.

Anyway I am open to all opinions and suggestions; blade or mallet, grips, brand, etc. I have used a blade in the past, I have a mallet now, it is probably 8 years old and a Dick's special...Acuity GS.1. 20160423_123024.jpg20160423_123320.jpg20160423_123255.jpg

My budget will probably be around $200 +/- $30-$50. I think that I personally prefer the mallet over the blade. Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing your thoughts and getting my much needed upgrade.  Attached pictures of my poor old putter, LOL. 

Nathan

NW Missouri

Home Course: Mozingo Lake Golf Course; Course Rating- 73.5, Slope Rating- 134

thumbs_2007-10-30-16.45.26.jpg/https://mozingolake.com/golf/

Righ Handed

IMB:  Cobra FlyZ Irons - 3-4 hybrid, 5-PW; steel shaft stiff flex, 40"-35.5" length 60°-64° lie  :D fly-z-combo-set-black_3.jpg

Cobra FlyZ Driver - Red, 10.5° loft (interchangeable), stiff flex, Matrix VLCT Sp shaft  :D

fly-z-driver_address_red.jpgfly-z-driver_hero_red.jpg :wub:

Callaway Big Bertha 5 wood Steel shaft; stiff

Acuity SG.1 putter  :wacko:

"A trophy carries dust. Memories last forever." -Mary Lou Retton

"Make sure your worst enemy doesn't live between your own two ears." -Laird Hamilton

Look at the new ping line of putters. I think they have some of the best quality putters out there for the price. Usually your Dicks sporting goods will have a good selection also.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Start here .....

http://www.mygolfspy.com/2015-most-wanted-blade-putter/

http://www.mygolfspy.com/2015s-most-wanted-mallet-putter/

I use the Carbon Ringo 1/4 blade putter and love it, though it's above your budget I highly recommend, I cannot recommend a mallet putter as they are not for me but I'm sure the putters on the MGS most wanted mallets would be a great start. Good luck!

Find a bargain basket and then go for a putter fitting with it using the money that you saved.  Good luck regardless of what you do.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I really like the TM line. Currently bagging the Monza Spyder, but the daddy long legs is pretty sweet too. They might have a different name already. For me, the larger the mallet, the better. But I'd say go to the local store and hit em all! Don't cost nothing! (Til you buy one)

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I love my daddy long legs most times!! I'm a mallet guy too. I know a guy who's played the Nike method blade and loves that too. I'd say go to golfsmith and hit putters for hours. Maybe get a fitting too. Usually if you buy something you get a free fitting

I have currently a collection of 12 putters, all types and brands. I've used Oddessey for years, but occasionally go to something new. I also seem to prefer mallets over blades. I tried a Wilson 8081 milled blade a few years ago, because it looks just like a Scotty Cameron. I found i am so used to the insert feel of an Oddessey that the steel faces seem too harsh. I also like an easy alignment mark on the top. My 2-Ball, Mini-Marxman and Versa Tank #7 all have strong alignment markings. Blade putters are just too difficult to keep square to square thru the stroke. I believe new technology definitely helps. I just ordered a new Oddessey 2-Ball Fang with mesh steel face molded over the insert. So i will have:

1. Insert feel

2. Mesh face for 93% less skidding

3. Perimeter (fang) weighting

4. Super Stroke fat grip to eliminate excess wrist break

5. Counterbalance weight in the handle to smooth out the stroke

6. Proven alignment marking (2-Ball)

The advice the others provided is helpful. The criteria above is what i use, based on lots of experience with a large variety of putters. Good luck!

I'm a blade style guy, mallets give me a hard time controlling distance.

I think the technology in putters are not as ground-breaking as in irons or woods. So I'm perfectly fine playing a 10 year old putter. Take a look at older models, you probably can get them for under $50 new.

Test a lot and find what type suits you best, then you can commit to a $300 stick for a long time.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Like Rev said, get a fitting. The money spent will be worth it - then get a 2014 or 15 model; check out the MGS putter ratings from those years.

I adore my Ping Piper TR, it is a joy to me, the adjustable shaft also meant I could stay away from shaft length issues. I love the way some putters look, but experience tells me they just don't work for me. Mind you my garage is like a gapraveyard for putters - do you know a club hoarder? Could you try some of theirs?

The other thing will be grip, that's become a huge issue with putters - I can guarantee that amongst the regulars here we have nearly as many grips in play as putters!

To superstroke or not, to counterweight or not, to oversize..... It's best to try and few and see what you like. I like the superstroke Fatso - but plenty of people can't get on with them.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I cannot suggest the right putter for you but at the price you're looking at I'd suggest looking here http://www.puttertalk.com/community/ and check out the swapshop. Plenty of used putters (and very nice ones) including some handmades at your price. Then get it dialed in for you. Good luck finding something nice.

I would look at the See More line of putters. If you are new to the game it is a great training putter because of the red line that is supposed to be blocked by the bottom of your shaft at alignment and during your stroke. It makes squaring up the putter at impact very easy with just a bit of practice.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: TM R11 9* Motore F1 TP

3 wood: TM R11

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 21*

Irons: Ping i3+ Blade 4-W 

Wedges: Titleist SM5 50, 56, 60

Putters: TM White Smoke IN.12 & SeeMore FGP

Right Hand, Stiff, Std Length & Lie

Ball: Depends on the day

Try the Bellum Winmore putters......I got one last Dec and love it! See the write up on My Golf a Spy.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Thanks for all of the suggestions and ideas. I am going to just go hit a bunch and see what feels good to me and what I like. It is rainy and cold today so it would be a great day to hit up Dicks and see what I like. HOping they'll have what I want to try and some of your reccommendations. Thanks again.

Nathan

NW Missouri

Home Course: Mozingo Lake Golf Course; Course Rating- 73.5, Slope Rating- 134

thumbs_2007-10-30-16.45.26.jpg/https://mozingolake.com/golf/

Righ Handed

IMB:  Cobra FlyZ Irons - 3-4 hybrid, 5-PW; steel shaft stiff flex, 40"-35.5" length 60°-64° lie  :D fly-z-combo-set-black_3.jpg

Cobra FlyZ Driver - Red, 10.5° loft (interchangeable), stiff flex, Matrix VLCT Sp shaft  :D

fly-z-driver_address_red.jpgfly-z-driver_hero_red.jpg :wub:

Callaway Big Bertha 5 wood Steel shaft; stiff

Acuity SG.1 putter  :wacko:

"A trophy carries dust. Memories last forever." -Mary Lou Retton

"Make sure your worst enemy doesn't live between your own two ears." -Laird Hamilton

Hit a bunch is the right idea. I did a putter tryout , picked 10 putters I liked and started hitting on the practice mat at a warehouse store. I immediately knew some that just did not work for me. I wanted a new mallet, ended up in a tie with a center shafted Ping and a center shafted Scotty Cameron. Neither one I would have thought I  would strike the best.  It was not just sinking putts it was also feel and distance accuracy.  I did not want to hear the ping so I ordered the Cameron. I love my putter, I do push it and pull it at times but that is me not the putter.

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

I have currently a collection of 12 putters, all types and brands. I've used Oddessey for years, but occasionally go to something new. I also seem to prefer mallets over blades. I tried a Wilson 8081 milled blade a few years ago, because it looks just like a Scotty Cameron. I found i am so used to the insert feel of an Oddessey that the steel faces seem too harsh. I also like an easy alignment mark on the top. My 2-Ball, Mini-Marxman and Versa Tank #7 all have strong alignment markings. Blade putters are just too difficult to keep square to square thru the stroke. I believe new technology definitely helps. I just ordered a new Oddessey 2-Ball Fang with mesh steel face molded over the insert. So i will have:

1. Insert feel

2. Mesh face for 93% less skidding

3. Perimeter (fang) weighting

4. Super Stroke fat grip to eliminate excess wrist break

5. Counterbalance weight in the handle to smooth out the stroke

6. Proven alignment marking (2-Ball)

The advice the others provided is helpful. The criteria above is what i use, based on lots of experience with a large variety of putters. Good luck!

I must be honest and say i should have tried the Oddessey 2-Ball Fang before i ordered it online. I sent it back immediately. It was too lightweight. I'm used to the Versa Tank weight now. Also, it measured 32 inches by my reckoning, not the stated 33. Last, the grip was thin and the overall feel was cheap for a $220 putter. Next time, I'll try it in the store, and buy it there, sales tax be damned.

I would love to help but still looking for the one myself. Over 100 and counting and still can't commit to anything. Heck, I played three rounds last week on vacation and used three different putters.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I love plumbers neck mallet putters. I use an Odyssey #7 CH.

Unfortunately this seems to be a niche style putter so I'm going to keep using this one until I can somehow save up enough money for a custom putter.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Callaway XR Pro 8* - Project X LZ 6.0
Callaway XR 15* - Project X LZ 6.0

Tour Issue Taylormade R15 19* - Motore Speeder 661 X
Cobra King Pro CB 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Callaway MD3 Black Shamrock LE - 50, 54, 58 - Tour Issue DG S200
Odyssey Works #7 CH

Archived