TESTERS WANTED! ×

FST Shafts

~^~

Since i bought and have been playing the Cobra King F6 irons, I wondered just what FST shafts are. I hit them in the store, of course, and liked them. The salesman said they're medium launch and torque. After about 25 rounds, i know i can hit these low or high, they have a boring medium natural trajectory. So i did some research and found that FST stands for FEMCO Steel Technology, a division of Far East Machine and Tool Company, and they're the 2nd largest steel shaft manufacturer in the world. They formed a partnership with KBS Shafts in 2008 to manufacture all the KBS Tour line. FST is known for leading technological advancements in CNC manufacturing. So effectively, Cobra put low-cost KBS shafts in their King F6s to hold pricing down. I think this is also evidenced by the next step up in the Cobra iron line, the King Forged Tec, which come with KBS Tour shafts as standard equipment. So the F6s effectively have shafts which perform nearly as well as premium shafts from KBS, albeit at a much lower cost. I think this just shows Cobra's committment to provide value and savings to their customers, while producing high performance equipment. You can compare that attitude with other companies which charge a premium for their name brand and offer no discounts. Just sayin'. Talk amongst yourselves.

From the KBS website. Correction FST stands for FEMCO Steel Technology, a division of Far East Machinery Co.

FST Manufacturing

FEMCO Steel Technology (FST) is a leading designer, manufacturer, and distributor of premium high-carbon steel golf shafts, including the KBS TOURâ„¢ Series. A subdivision of Far East Machinery Company (FEMCO), FST's technical expertise incorporates a rich history of steel product manufacturing, ranging from custom CNC machine tools to power plant installation specializing in metal forming.

I play FST 90 in my irons and hybrids and love them. I'm seriously thinking about changing out the shafts in my wedges with the same.

The only thing I'd change them with is graphite but I can't see that happening any time soon.

$8.99 a shaft, what's not to love?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I feel these would play really soft to flex for some reason. Are they counter balanced like the KBS Tours are?

I don't know if they're counterbalanced, but I don't think so. They ARE stepped, unlike KBS Tour series. FSTs also have a high quality chrome finish, unlike the KBS satin finish. The FSTs have just one tiny sticker on the shaft: "FST"and "S".

Nothing wrong with FST, or Apollo if you want another option for inexpensive shafts.

Generally though you will find the tolerances aren't as tight and there could be a wider range of flex and weight variances throughout a set.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm pretty sure FST makes the KBS shafts.

You're right, KBS is their premium/higher end line.

http://kbsgolfshafts.com/company/fst-manufacturing

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I play FST 90 in my irons and hybrids and love them. I'm seriously thinking about changing out the shafts in my wedges with the same.

The only thing I'd change them with is graphite but I can't see that happening any time soon.

$8.99 a shaft, what's not to love?

I have their KBS hi-rev 2.0 and am loving them. FST line has a hi-rev option for wedges as well

A thread like this is EXACTLY the reason I'm on this site! Before this, I wouldn't have known FST from ATM. Well done, y'all!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

A thread like this is EXACTLY the reason I'm on this site! Before this, I wouldn't have known FST from ATM. Well done, y'all!

someone updated their avatar

• 3 years later...

I replaced the factory original Rifle 5.5 shafts in my Taylor Made Lt irons.  Getting older, and not swinging at 100 mph club head speed, i needed to switch to a lighter, and more flexable shaft.  I simply love FST 90 (R) flex....I need 1/2 extra length and adjusted the tip trim by 1/4 inch more firm.  The feel is every bit equal to the rifle shafts I was playing.....I can definitely feel them load and release.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone. So I have been doing a lot of research as to help the golf community. Most people know what they need to get started in the game but others may have a tough time getting down the basics. For that reason I have looked all over and I came across this video that I think everyone should check out.

This person breaks down the essentials and pretty much gives you a list of 5 things that everyone should have in their bag to improve their game. I suggest you guys check it out, very informative and I myself learned a lot from it. Simply click the link below and you'll be taken straight to the video. Thank you guys and have a great day.

https://dausel.co/niMXof

• 4 weeks later...