Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How often do you get re-fit?

I'm going in for a driver fitting tomorrow.  This will have been the 3rd time I've been professionally fit for a driver.  First was some time in 2011 for the R11, 2nd time was Jan 2014 when SLDR came out.  So I seem to be on a 2-3 year cycle.  I've been fit for irons a couple times too on a similar time frame.

My iron specs really haven't changed much, similar shaft and same length/lie/swing weights between fittings.  Driver's were completely different.  A big part of that may have been the different beast that SLDR was.  Another big part was that it wasn't a driver fitting, it was a SLDR fitting so all we did was find the best combo possible for the SLDR.

I don't feel like my swing has changed a ton, but I know there have been some small tweaks here and there.

Kind of a two part question here then.  For the fitters in the forum - How often do you see guys coming in to get re-fit and how often do you recommend getting fit for the same type of clubs?

For everyone else - Have you been through multiple fittings for the same segment of your bag?  How often do you do it?  How did your specs change between fittings?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I have never been fit for a driver, so doing that for the first time on Saturday (by pure chance, Bridgestone will also be there for a demo day, so get to try their JGR as well)

My current gamer was just pure luck, got it for under $100 new on the bay and it has been working... until now.

For my irons, I started playing golf with off-the-rack clones, then went to a Mizuno fitting where I got the MP59. Played them for 4 years and went to my 2nd iron fitting that put the Apex CF16 on my hand.

The only thing that changed was the shaft... I went from a KBS Tour stiff to a PX 5.5 to lower my ball flight.

I think I've beaten my inner club ho' and learned my lesson: it's more efficient to go to a fitting session once, make sure it's done right and play worry-free for 3-4 years... instead of buying and reselling stuff on the internet.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I did a fitting last year to try and replace the SLDR but it didn't go too well. I had a crappy swing that day, it was one of the hotter days of the year so my hands were sweating which made it harder to grip the club and it was outside using range balls. The specs I ended up hitting the best were completely opposite of my normal swing so I didn't buy anything. I may try again this year but indoors.

My irons were fit 2 years ago and I may look to getting an update on them as well. I know my swing has changed a bit to where I'm probably not 2.5 upright anymore but we will see. With my irons I don't feel the need to try and replace them because there isn't much out right now I'm in love with.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

it really depends on the golfer, quality of the previous fit, and whether you like to tinker or not. If you are one who gets bored of clubs, you can get fit once a year just to confirm that what you have is still better than what was just recently released. If you're not a tinkerer, once every three years is plenty soon enough. Chances are if you were fit properly and your swing hasn't changed, you'll still be fine, but you never know! New heads are generally more forgiving, but sometimes a new shaft can give you more MPH in club head speed or a new head can produce more MPH in ball speed for you.

I have a driver combo I was properly fit for about 8 years ago that can still perform as good as everything else on the market today. It's not a forgiving driver compared to today's models, so it gets shelved unless I'm playing a lot and well.

The cool thing about going to get fit is if your driver is still good for you, you're going to get confirmation and be only out the cost of the fitting fee which is much cheaper than a new driver.

Was fit once by Golf Tech....encouraged me to get a 12* loft to increase my AOL.  Now that I can increase it by adjusting my stance(lower right shoulder....DUH) I can game 10.5/11.11.5 etc. Currently I am at 11* on my Bio Cell & 11.5* on my Fly Z+.

When my Cobra King arrives I am going to try it at 12*.....so mostly I have been able to go by feel.  I have always liked the Cobras but have tried others as well (Nicklaus, Ping, Callaway, Powerbilt).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Everyone Else:

I've had two indoor driver fittings and both were a bust. My irons were fit in August of 2014 and they are still great. I've had them "tweaked" twice to adjust them to spec. I'll do that usually around the beginning of the season.

I just returned from a weekend outing and played my 2014 SLDR. I had three of my best days driving the ball this year. Whatever setting I have my SLDR set to is absolutely perfect for me. I can hit the same shape and distance shots over and over all day long with this thing. It's automatic. By the way.... this SLDR is off the rack. I got it from MGS for a review back in the spring of 2014.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've been fit for irons starting with the static Ping stuff back in the mid-80's.  It's been consistently the same results with the predictable shift from steel to light steel to graphite and then from S to R - always standard length, 2 flat.  The one outlier was the time I tried the Mizuno thingy - that was a debacle as it put me back into steel for a short period of time until another fitter talked some sense into me.  I think that tool needs to be only put into the hands of a fitter with common sense.

I've been fit for driver 3 times - like others I've arrived at radically different shaft/head combos that I'm sure were due to the particular brands selected but if I were to stack up the last 4 drivers that I've bagged they would be marked 9.5-12.0 and the shafts would vary in length/flex mark from 44.5-45 7/8" and from S to R from 55 grams to 75.  All have worked just fine producing very similar launch monitor numbers and on course results.  Right now I'm using a stock Ping G30 that I picked up from a rack of demo's with the intent of getting it fit for a new shaft.  I've hit several personal best drives on different courses with the thing so I'm in no mood to tinker.

Obviously I'm not a professional fitter

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I will take a trip out to the LM when the flight looks wrong on the course for more that 2 rounds.  This would lead me to believe that something had fundamentally changed, and that I should recheck my setup. Otherwise, I only refit when I am in the market for a new Driver.  This tends to be a little more infrequently as time passes.  There are just not enough positive gains to be made by changing every year like there used to be...  

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I'll go for a fitting if I'm getting new things, with the  exception of putters as I know my specs there.

I would also suggest to be wary of what degree loft it states. It can vary a few degrees either way. Another good reason to get fit. I've always been baffled why anyone and I have had plenty of people think I am crazy for what a fitting costs where I go, not bother at all.

Equipment is expensive, spend the money for a fitting and get what will work for you and have no doubts left in your mind if your tools are right for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I have folks coming back for fittings for the following reasons

1) major surgery (rotator cuff, knee replacement etc) to get confirmation on specs needed for new gear again if needed.

2) recovered from major sickness stuff such as cancer, long term infections, that cause large changes in strength and weight

3) got bit by the golf bug (BAD) and has been through a serious change in the swing

4) has had equipment long enough (in the their mind) and want to make sure specs are still good.

5) on the average 5yr if nothings has changed.

6) or got a great deal on a set of clubs and wants to make sure the purchase was righteous

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Archived