TESTERS WANTED! ×

300 yard Par 3 at US Open

JudgeSmails

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/25567543/the-2016-us-opens-300-yard-par-3-will-surely-delight-golfers

Almost seems unfair, some guys can't even get there with driver I would think....I suppose everyone has to play it though

I know when I put together my fantasy team, I'll be picking some bombers

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Well at least it's a little down hill

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Well at least it's a little down hill

you sound like a glass half full kinda guy...lol

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

you sound like a glass half full kinda guy...lol

I try to be lol

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

No biggie, I lay up on most part 3's any way and let the Clevelands earn the par

=)

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

The USGA loves to play with guy's minds.  In 2007 that hole had a measured yardage that was longer than the par 4 17th at least one of the days and yet it played easier, by average strokes per hole, than the 17th in the tournament.  The object is to shoot the lowest score.  It's the US Open.  Who cares what that lowest score may be relative to par other than the membership at Oakmont?

Think about last year's US Open and the terrible state of the greens.  2/3 of the field was eliminated before the first tee shot.  They even had holes whose pars flip flopped between 4 and 5 depending upon which tee was used.

The USGA loves to play with guys minds, create conditions that make the first two rounds take 51/2 hours and then run commercials in the middle of those rounds that poke fun of Amateurs who play in 4 1/2 hours.

Don't play anyone from the field who complains about the hole on your fantasy team - they are dead already.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The USGA loves to play with guy's minds.  In 2007 that hole had a measured yardage that was longer than the par 4 17th at least one of the days and yet it played easier, by average strokes per hole, than the 17th in the tournament.  The object is to shoot the lowest score.  It's the US Open.  Who cares what that lowest score may be relative to par other than the membership at Oakmont?

Think about last year's US Open and the terrible state of the greens.  2/3 of the field was eliminated before the first tee shot.  They even had holes whose pars flip flopped between 4 and 5 depending upon which tee was used.

The USGA loves to play with guys minds, create conditions that make the first two rounds take 51/2 hours and then run commercials in the middle of those rounds that poke fun of Amateurs who play in 4 1/2 hours.

Don't play anyone from the field who complains about the hole on your fantasy team - they are dead already.

I ain't playing Bubba then, he always finds something to complain about. Haha

Not that I would've anyway

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

This is such a stupid idea. There is no reason to do this, I have played courses with 240 yard Par3 but it played downwind or downhill so it only played about 215-220 which is reasonable. I really hope they dont do this. I know that want to protect par and such but his isnt the way to do it.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

This is such a stupid idea. There is no reason to do this, I have played courses with 240 yard Par3 but it played downwind or downhill so it only played about 215-220 which is reasonable. I really hope they dont do this. I know that want to protect par and such but his isnt the way to do it.

I played a 223 yard par 3 in Memphis that felt like 250 because it was pretty much level. Long par 3s just suck.

#7 at my course has another tee box back in the woods. We talked the superintendent into moving the tees back there for the two man scramble last weekend. It played 245. I hit 3 wood to 20 feet and two putted for par. It's fun every once in a while.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

This is lame, they need to throw in a 300yd par 4, major risk/reward hole, like they had at the WGC. The longest par 3 I've played was 258 and the day I played it was directly into a 25mph wind. I hit the ball pretty far and couldn't get closer than 10yds short with a driver.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Oh, they're going to do it. You can bet on that. IMO, it's a major advantage for the Bubba's & Rory's who can probably hit a long iron. High flight, more control. Otherwise, play short and try to wedge it close & make par.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Bones there is, 17 plays around 300.

Also there is no way its set up at 300 if its into the wind - this isn't being done by the super telling the college kid to go mow and put the tee pegs in somewhere else -

If it is at 300 it's going to be reachable by everyone in the field that day - so who will have the greater advantage - Rory or Zach Johnson?  I'm going with the straighter hitter not the longer hitter on this one. 

If you are playing in the US Open and you're worried about what a hole is relative to par you are done.  You need to be concerned relative to the field and figure out a way to navigate the course based on defeating the field - it's different than other tournaments.  BTW we can learn a lot with this one.  Most of us can learn a lot from this - we have handicaps - the key for us when we are playing in stroke play events is to avoid making more than bogey on the holes that have the same or lower numbers than our handicap would indicate - that may mean laying up on a par 4 from time to time or perhaps even a par 3.  Who has the discipline to do that?  Sometimes that's how golf is at any level.

I'm with Undershooter on this one - I'd never take Bubba in a US or British Open pool.  Golf is inherently unfair - it's only in regular PGA tour events that there is a real concern that everyone play under pristine conditions.  Those of us who play by the rule book are the ones who play real golf - they get special conditions some of which would be nearly impossible for us to handle others of which make it far easier than what we face.  Think about that for a bit.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I am not a big fan of long par 3's being a shorter hitter.  #8 at my course from the tips is 250y; from the blue tees where I play it varies from 195 to 220.  It is slightly downhill, but into the prevailing winds which can blow 15-25mph with higher gusts on many days.  The tee sits near the highest part of the course and there are no trees.  If that is not difficult enough, the green is large with lots of slope and multiple levels; two-putting is not easy.  There are no hazards, but mounds on both sides and off the back, which can give you severe uphill, downhill, and sidehill lies.  Did I say the greens were fast!  I never feel bad with bogey on this hole, and I almost had a hole-in-one!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Longest par 3 I've ever played was definitely at Oxford CC in Oxford MS. #11 is 260 from the back box, slightly uphill and usually plays into the wind. I've played it a few Times and usually hit 3 wood. Helacious hole on a great course.

Edit: Come to think of it, the first time we played there it was blowing about 15-25mph in our face and I hit 3 wood right at the stick that came up 20 yards short. 

Sent from my LG-AS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

No biggie, I lay up on most part 3's any way and let the Clevelands earn the par

=)

Tazz

I just tried out the new Cleveland wedges, loved them.... Currently play Vokeys, thinking of switching....

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I just tried out the new Cleveland wedges, loved them.... Currently play Vokeys, thinking of switching....

You can never go wrong with Cleveland.

Love my RTX

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

300 yards is a bit ridiculous, but I suppose everyone has to play it.

I think its worse when the USGA set the course up so fairways are narrower than greens, with fairways running straight into 6 inch rough. 

I love to see courses set up so that every type of golfer has a chance, not just those who can do one component of the game well.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Is this real! 

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM + TWITTER + YOUTUBE

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:scotty-small:  Tour Issue Circle T - Tour Rat I

=)

Tazz

Same boat.

Sent from MyGolfSpy Mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

300 yards is a bit ridiculous, but I suppose everyone has to play it.

I think its worse when the USGA set the course up so fairways are narrower than greens, with fairways running straight into 6 inch rough. 

I love to see courses set up so that every type of golfer has a chance, not just those who can do one component of the game well.

I don't know look at the list of US Open winners and it's pretty varied. It seems to me that each of the majors seems to measure the player who manages his game and his nerves the best. The U S Open is the one that's hardest on the nerves, no doubt about that.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Love it! That's why the pro's get paid the BIG bucks...to figure out a plan to get the job done and give the spectators a show while trying.

Sent from MyGolfSpy Mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

• SPY VIP

The US Open isn't like other golf tournaments. The USGA pushes boundaries and when you do that, you're going to rub some people the wrong way. It's supposed to test every facet of your game, mental and physical and a 300 yard par 3 is part of that. 

Par is just a number. If this exact hole played as a par 4, we'd talk about how easy it is. Does it really matter if the course is par 71? 72? 73? Player with the lowest score still wins and as long as they don't jump the shark, I actually like it. 

When the open was at Merion they stretched #3 to just under 250 yards. Hole plays a club and a half uphill to an elevated green. Realistically half the field was hitting three wood and watched Stewart Cink hit 4 balls with three wood all short and then told his caddy no way he was hitting driver. I have played the course since the open and hit two balls from that tee with three wood and barely made the front with both of them.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm way late to the party with this thread but I want to chime in anyway. I think it will be fun to have this long of a par 3. If most guys in the field play it over par it doesn't matter if it's a 3 or 4 par. It at lest gives us something to talk about and look forward to. As for my home course, #2 and #10 are both long par 3's. #2 is around 240 from the tips and generally plays into the wind and #10 is 255 but is usually down wind and down hill. Also as a side note, the elevation is around 3500 feet which is nice and helps it play shorter than you guys that play at sea level all the time.

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

Archived