Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Short Game Practice

What routines do you guys use for practicing your short game? Are there any games you like to incorporate in order to add some pressure and make it interesting?

I typically spend a little while just working on some basic chip shots to short and far pins with a few different wedges. To finish it off, I try to find some awkward lies to tough pin positions and work on those for a bit. Unfortunately, I haven't been practicing enough and it has come up to bite me a few rounds this year, I want to make a more concerted effort to practice this year so I'd like to get some input as to how everyone else goes about it. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9° w/ GD Tour AD DI-6X

3wd: TaylorMade SIM 15° w/ GD Tour AD DI-7S

2h: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 17° w/ Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

4h: Callaway XR Pro 23 w/ Project X LZ 6.0

5i - PW: Callaway Apex Pro

Wedges: Callaway MD3 50°, Titleist SM8 54° and 58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Unless I'm working on technique, I try to randomize it so that I'm not hitting the same shot to the same pin twice in a row. I'm not going to get the same shot twice in a row on the course so why should I do it in practice. It puts pressure on me to focus and try to hit the shot well the first time. It just seems to work better for me.

I also spend time with each wedge hitting shots to targets with different trajectories and amounts of roll, etc.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

We have a practice pitching green/bunker, but it's not too big.  People use range balls and generally leave them there.  If there is someone using the green, I stay away.  I only use range balls that are there if I want to work on pitching technique/contact, just to get a feel for my swing.  I prefer to use my own used balls that I no longer put in play, but that's difficult to do when other balls are on the green.

As for chipping, the course allows chip shots on the putting green.  It's big enough to chip to areas of the green where people are not putting.  I typically only use one or two wedges to practice chipping.  My SCORs are all the same except for loft, so it's a matter of getting the ball on the green and letting it roll out.  On the course that is dictated by how close the pin is to the edge of the green.

The practice area doesn't have much in the way of unique lies from which to practice, so I leave that to on-course practice.  Nothing is better than practicing short game than actual course conditions and lies.  The practice area is great for working on technique, but the on-course practice is where you can get creative and work on the shots you need when you play.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Unless I'm working on technique, I try to randomize it so that I'm not hitting the same shot to the same pin twice in a row. I'm not going to get the same shot twice in a row on the course so why should I do it in practice. It puts pressure on me to focus and try to hit the shot well the first time. It just seems to work better for me.

I also spend time with each wedge hitting shots to targets with different trajectories and amounts of roll, etc.

I agree with randomizing the shots, I usually spend about half of my time doing that. I try to spend the first half just working on my technique though, so I'll usually hit 20 or so shots from the same spot just to work on making solid contact and improve muscle memory. When you are hitting your random shots do you just toss a few balls out to an area and play them where they land? I've noticed that I have a tendency to want to move the ball to a better lie... However, it would probably make more sense to just play it from a bad spot and practice that.

I also like that you work on focusing on each shot, that is a good idea. Mental prep and pre-shot routines are extremely important and I think that I often neglect those when working in the practice area.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9° w/ GD Tour AD DI-6X

3wd: TaylorMade SIM 15° w/ GD Tour AD DI-7S

2h: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 17° w/ Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

4h: Callaway XR Pro 23 w/ Project X LZ 6.0

5i - PW: Callaway Apex Pro

Wedges: Callaway MD3 50°, Titleist SM8 54° and 58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

• 8 months later...

Usually play this game against a friend to wrap up every practice session. you can even use this game when you're practicing solo too.

The game is to play 18 holes and treat each hole is a par 2. Just drop a ball off the green and see if you can get up-and-down. 

The practice range by my house has targets ranging from 20 yards out to around 165 yards.  It's an ideal spot to work on short game so I tend to play a few little game and rotate between targets.  Usually start off hitting the 50* wedge to 100 yards then go down to 75, 50 and 20 yards and then repeat.  It keeps me from hitting repeated shots to just one target and I can work on different styles of shots.  Then I'll mix in my 54* and 58* wedges to do the same to slightly shorter targets again moving to different distances.

My goal with every shot is to be inside of 10 feet, unless it's the 20 yard target (I want to be inside 6 feet on that one).  This year I'm going to start scoring myself and keep tabs on each session so I can track how I'm improving throughout the year.

• 3 months later...

Karl Vilips has a great video on his YouTube channel that shows him playing game to end his practice sessions. He drops 10 balls around the green, different distance and lies, and chips them all to one hole. Then he has to putt all 10 balls in a row. He won't leave until he is at or under par (up and down is par, chip in is birdie). Helps with the short game and mental game.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Karl Vilips has a great video on his YouTube channel that shows him playing game to end his practice sessions. He drops 10 balls around the green, different distance and lies, and chips them all to one hole. Then he has to putt all 10 balls in a row. He won't leave until he is at or under par (up and down is par, chip in is birdie). Helps with the short game and mental game.

I've done a similar drill but usually only 5 balls and I'm more than happy with up and down for each.

Obviously his is a much tougher challenge.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

One of my favorite drills I used to do when I was younger & had access to the golf course to myself (cause I worked there) was to find a simple approach shot & drop 3 balls from each distance ... 50, 75, 100, 125 yards ... and try to hit one ball to the back, middle & front of the green with different clubs.  It would teach me distance control. 

Then I would go back to 100 yards & try to hit it with 3 different clubs, 3 different trajectories.

Practice with each wedge to hit different distances based on how far back I take the club.  Waste high ... it goes this far.  Shoulder high ... it goes this far.  Full swing ... it goes this far. This teaches you, in "your minds eye" that you need to take it back "this" far to hit it "that" far.

Around the greens, pitch & runs try to get the ball rolling like a putt as soon as possible.  Vary different clubs to achieve the same shot ... don't get married to the same club all the time.  Pitch to a target like the fringe on the other side of the green & learn how hard with each club you need to hit it & how much roll out you get with each.  

I would take a handful of balls ... throw them up in the air around the green in the rough randomly ... you would get different lies for each.  Take the time to address the lie (just like you are playing) & look at how the ball reacts with each club coming out of the rough.  Whether its the 60*, 56* or other wedge ... see how they react out of the different lies.

The key to the short game (IMO) is to "remember" shots that you have hit in the past and how they reacted out of certain situations.  "I remember playing this hole before from here & I used a wedge."  Remembering how the ball reacts, how far you need to take the club back to hit it a certain distance, etc.  This is how you learn to score & scramble to save par.

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Wow. I would be there all week

I like hitting 3 balls from the same spot but varying trajectory. So flop/mid/low. Never hit the same shot twice in a row. Then drop three balls in a different spot. Works for chips, pitches and keeps practice fun/fresh

I practice my chips in my backyard. The problem I have is that our club has very high green side rough. I've heard some golfers open the face much like a bunker shot. Has anyone tried this.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I practice my chips in my backyard. The problem I have is that our club has very high green side rough. I've heard some golfers open the face much like a bunker shot. Has anyone tried this.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Yes. There are several shots you could use. Flop shot sounds like what they are doing.

- Al

What routines do you guys use for practicing your short game? Are there any games you like to incorporate in order to add some pressure and make it interesting?

I typically spend a little while just working on some basic chip shots to short and far pins with a few different wedges. To finish it off, I try to find some awkward lies to tough pin positions and work on those for a bit. Unfortunately, I haven't been practicing enough and it has come up to bite me a few rounds this year, I want to make a more concerted effort to practice this year so I'd like to get some input as to how everyone else goes about it.

I always have to do a couple practice swings, if I go up and drill it I always overshoot or roll the whole green.

Setting up a ring of 6 3 footers at a hole on some sort of slope is a great way to apply some pressure. I used to end every short game session forcing myself to make all 6 in a row, had some late nights out on the green!

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

I also like that you work on focusing on each shot, that is a good idea. Mental prep and pre-shot routines are extremely important and I think that I often neglect those when working in the practice area. (emphasis added)

Easy to do when you've got a pile of balls at your feet. We each have to find a way to make each shot important. Planning a specific and different shot every swing works for me. I want it to land where I plan, and spin like I want. If someone were to measure it, I guess it would be labelled success/failure rate. It keeps me motivated to pause, plan, and go through my routine carefully each shot.

A good way at the range or practice area is to take a minute or two between shots. Analyze the last one...feel, where on face, shape, spin direction and spin vigor when it lands, roll out, etc. Think of what the step is to correct whatever was lacking with the last one. With the knowledge we have today about launch characteristics, it's easy to self diagnose path and face angles based on ball flight and spin direction. Plan the next shot, and go through your routine. After a minute or two, your muscles are back to "fresh", just like on the course.

I also build imaginary ponds and hazards, tight greens, etc in my hitting area, and give myself options of where to hit, just like on the course. Do you go for it or be safe and give yourself a longer putt? What's the wind doing?

Most important, just like anything else, if you want to improve, setting clear long and short term goals is key. Knowing you are on the path to ______________ is what furnishes motivation.

I'm a big fan of short game practice (100 yds and in). Success there will spill over to your long game near automatic.

Archived