Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
GolfSpy Barbajo

So You Want To Be A MyGolfSpy Club Tester?

I understand that most everyone that is new is here because of the testing opportunities.  You guys are lucky.  Recently, MGS has been offering lots of products to test.  I joined just a few years ago, and Forum testing was slim.  I joined anyway because I enjoyed reading posts from the members and got to know them.  I hope y'all will enjoy your time on the forum too.

While free stuff to test is nice, along with it comes a commitment to the other members who didn't get to test.  It's really a lot of work.  People want to know what's good and what's not so good with a product.  They also want to know a little about the person testing it so they can judge if the product that you tested will be similar for them.  So, it's not just getting a club and taking it for a few swings, we are looking for a quality write-up expressing your thoughts and include lots of pictures.  Like I said, it's a commitment.  However, most testers end up becoming a part of the community and with it, get more opportunities if they choose.  

Good luck to all.

This is great!

Quite right Kenny, test the clubs, review them well and if they really don't work for you? Pay it forward. Oh and don't forget newbies, MGS doesn't take money from the big companies - their sponsors aren't huge and every dollar we give to keep the site running means more stories, more testing and guess what......probably more testing opportunities!

I was very honoured that MGS have asked me to test the Ping Crossover - keep your eyes peeled folks first posts will be incoming very very soon.

• Like 4

Good points to make Kenny. When I joined MGS I didn't have a clue what all goes on around here. I certainly didn't know they gave away equipment to average golfers like us to test. For FREE! I joined to yap and learn about all things golf. I've made quite a few friends here too. I was chosen once to test/review the SLDR when it came out. Wish I could do it over now that I've seen so many reviews and how well so many of them are done. Makes my SLDR review seem kind of lame. I remember initially thinking that I was to review the club and return it. Nope... it's mine. And I'm still playing it today.

• Like 3

I joined because of a thread. But still don't be that person that disappears after a test. Stay around, talk shop and enjoy a great community.

• Like 1

Coming from a newbie... being able to test out new product would be nice but with a newborn and not much hope of golfing a whole lot this season, being able to participate in some discussion and read about things during down time will hopefully keep me connected. Getting out for the first time tomorrow and I am super pumped! Who doesn't love going through their golf bag before their first round and rearranging, cleaning, etc.?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Ya! I love going through my bag, getting things ready for the season - I usually end up starting in January and rearranging/cleaning everything about eight times...

In fact I once took my clubs ice fishing, just to give me something to do while I waited for the rattle reels to start ringing...

• Like 1

I've been a member over at wrx for awhile but I feel like MGS is going to be a really good fit. Just having a bit of a time trying to figure out where everything is. I would love to test some stuff out but being in college really doesn't leave much time to 1) keep my form during the school year and 2) give me time to give the clubs the chance they deserve. With that said, once summer comes around in about a month or so I'll be all over the forums giving my 2 cents and trying to help others with equipment or instruction questions.

Welcome See,

we won't enter into WRX bashing - it's a bit easy after all! Welcome and enjoy to all the new folk.

For all those coming over from WRX and other sites, you'll find we dont go in for talk of 300 carry (aside from the very few members who can) - we might not call you on it but we might roll our eyes from round the world.

We even manage to keep fanboy behaviour under control - well nearly! Mizuno iron users are rather passionate....

• Like 4

Welcome See,

we won't enter into WRX bashing - it's a bit easy after all! Welcome and enjoy to all the new folk.

For all those coming over from WRX and other sites, you'll find we dont go in for talk of 300 carry (aside from the very few members who can) - we might not call you on it but we might roll our eyes from round the world.

We even manage to keep fanboy behaviour under control - well nearly! Mizuno iron users are rather passionate....

Good post Westy. Love my Mizuno irons and wedges haha

Welcome See,

Speaking of which... haven't seen Mizzylover in a while :D

Not sure whatever happened to him. I miss having him around.

He did say that with his back issues, he would be out of commission for awhile......if I remember correctly.

Welcome See,

Thanks for the reply. I was really into WRX but all of the wannabe tour pros really put me off of it. I feel I have a good grasp on the golf swing and equipment because I've had a kinesiology class and I'm currently an engineering major but all of the guys that read one post and start throwing it around like they're Bob Vokey and Karsten Solheim themselves is a bit ridiculous.

Anyways rant over. I look forward to getting involved and helping others in any way I can and hearing what everyone has to say and what advice they have.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I am the one on the far left who hit the shot with two friends whose combined age with me is over 200 and with the baby of the group taking the picture we would not be far from 300.  My name is Al and I play to a 5.7 index at my home course here in Henderson, NV.  We get to play 12 months a year or my handicap would sky rocket.  Last August I gave my stiff shaft titeist woods and irons to my 16 year old grandson and bought my first set of non-titleist clubs in over 40 years.  The irons are set stronger than the ones I had and they have a regular shaft so I am hitting the ball further and back in the game at 6500 yards and under.  I have also moved to weaker shafts in my driver and rescue clubs to gain a better trajectory with distance. 

I struggled at first but now am back to hitting the ball like a 5 handicapper...Straighter, higher and gained distance control which I lost for a couple of months making the change.

I work one day a week as a starter/marshall at a Jack Nicklaus course (Reflection Bay) so that I can play my home course and the Nicklaus course both. 

I look forward to being a member of the forum and participating in some of the topics.  Having worked with two major golf equipment companies, I learned a lot about the market and was responsible to run the research, marketing plans and sales budgets for them as well as several other organizations. 

fullsizeoutput_31a8.jpeg

• Like 3