TESTERS WANTED! ×

What bothers you on the course..Pet peeves anyone?

Badfish

Do people really take divots with driver? 

Remember me telling you about a "Kenny" when we played?

One bouncer driver.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Kenny I would respectfully suggest that your group may wish to reconsider its position. Faster groups, twosomes through fours, have the right of way over a slower group when there is an Open hole ahead. You should certainly talk to the club about its policy of letting twosomes out when it knows that there are fours on the course and the twos are paired easily. It's up to the club to resolve the matter.

It most certainly is frustrating when the club is not doing it's job. That's going to be a tough adjustment for me.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

@revkev   I totally agree.  The club does an OK job on the weekends when the course is crowded; there are no twosomes until later in the day.  During the week, there are a few foursomes early, but then it thins out and stragglers show up; there are sometimes open tee times mid-morning on certain days.  So, a twosome shows up and goes out; 15-20 minutes later, another twosome, then another.  They aren't there together to tee off on #1, but by hole #3, the hardest hole on the course, the "groups" get stacked up behind a foursome. But most people don't want to pair up.  Then they just sit and stew that the foursome ahead won't let them play through.  

When I am in that foursome, we are always looking out for the groups behind us.  There aren't many trees on the course so we can see groups behind us pretty well.  If the hole ahead is open and a single, only one twosome or a foursome waiting for us, we let them play through.  If there are two twosomes, we don't.  That's our rule.  Actually, that's not my rule, one guy in my group is a retired Marine colonel and it's his rule, but I like it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

After thinking back on my weekend round(s) I decided to include the guy I call Slow-Mo. You know him. He's the 7 handicapper that thinks he's a tour pro. Everything has to be just right before even thinking of hitting a shot. He's such a precision ball striker you know. He'll back off at the slightest gust, stare up at the trees, toss some grass into the air, recheck his laser or GPS, talk to himself, blah, blah, blah. Then finally.. finally; he'll start his pre-shot routine again while everyone holds their breath praying a bird doesn't chirp. Of course after he knocks one in there 30' from the pin he claims he had a funky lie. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Cell Phones.  

I can't believe this thread went three pages without someone mentioning cell phones (unless I missed it.)  I get that they are a necessary evil:  I regularly play with a doctor and dentist, who have to be available for emergencies.   I can even understand the parent who needs to be available to her/his kids.  But most use of cell phone is just a PITA.  

Most of the time I turn mine off when I get to the course.  If I have to carry mine, it goes on vibrate.  I move away from the group to answer it and I speak softly.  I also tell my secretary when I'm playing golf and she knows not to put calls through unless it's a real emergency, which cuts way down on calls.  And she knows a real emergency from the run of the mill emergency.  

I've played at a few clubs where cell phones are prohibited anywhere but the locker rooms.  These were very high end clubs.  If the titans of industry that are the members there can get along without their cell phones for 3 or 4 hours, the rest of us can as well.  

That's funny my club prohibits cell phones in the locker room and dining area. If you are on the phone on the course you must let the group behind you play through.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Ball marks are a big one because one's laziness potentially affects everyone else's experience for a few weeks. Maybe "laziness" is inaccurate - sometimes they're hard to find so we try to fix what we see. It's those players who lack the awareness of his or her obligation to fix them that is the real burn.

Unrated bunkers have cost me more than once, too. No excuses there...you can't NOT know you didn't rake your foot prints!

Music on the course? not a fan. If I can hear it a fairway away, it's too loud! What you and your foursome do should not affect anyone else on the course. You want to listen to the weekly top 40 during a round? Go for it! Just have the courtesy to check the volume to ensure its not carrying.

All three are varying degrees of ignorance. I would like to think forums like this might help educate through awareness.

I agree with all you said. That last sentence is wishful thinking---- Most folks that do as we have been describing are not in "tune" or love the game as we do so there would not be any interest at all for reading this or any other golf site--- But it can not hurt to dream can it?

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

And once again I learned something on My Golf Spy - I did not realize the reason for tee crowning!  Thanks MmmmmBuddy -  Being a person who likes to draw the ball off the tee (alright lets be honest a person who has to draw the ball off the tee) I use that slope to my advantage and always tee from the left side.

Do people really take divots with driver? 

To answer your question Yes  I guess I could film some of the tourist hacks we get here if you want me too

LOL You know I would not lie to a "Man of The Cloth" after all it is a mortal sin

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

My biggest thing is when someone is looking in thick grass or the woods for a top flite for more than a minute or two. If you're using cheap balls you're either cheap or you should expect to lose them

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

LOL my home course has been tied up bad the last two weeks with tourists. I messed around and practiced some Saturday. Went in the Pro Shop BSing with my buddy one of the assistants. One group of guys came in and soon as they paid their greens fees asked if they sold used balls. I about died. the assistant told them we have a good deal on Mojo balls a 24 pack " cube" for $19.00. These guys looked shell shocked and went on out to play. I told the assistant I was glad I was not playing. Then they tried to pull some crap one of the guys went in and got two bags of range balls $5 a bag has about 50 balls. They were going to attempt to take them out to play with. the starter was on the ball himself and put a stop to that business. This season has been the craziest yet . I do not know what happened with those guys I left and went home

G

Unraked bunkers is my number one pet peeve, probably because I'm usually always in them. But also the age old dispute, rake in or rake out .......

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

The guy 270 out waiting for the green to clear on a par 5 after his 240 yd drive.

Hey man I was laying up with my 3i so I would have a full 3w in. Don't hate :D

Although odds are I'd actually do this if someone bet me I couldn't. It's sad what motivates me haha

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Cell Phones.  

I can't believe this thread went three pages without someone mentioning cell phones (unless I missed it.)  I get that they are a necessary evil:  I regularly play with a doctor and dentist, who have to be available for emergencies.   I can even understand the parent who needs to be available to her/his kids.  But most use of cell phone is just a PITA.  

Most of the time I turn mine off when I get to the course.  If I have to carry mine, it goes on vibrate.  I move away from the group to answer it and I speak softly.  I also tell my secretary when I'm playing golf and she knows not to put calls through unless it's a real emergency, which cuts way down on calls.  And she knows a real emergency from the run of the mill emergency.  

I've played at a few clubs where cell phones are prohibited anywhere but the locker rooms.  These were very high end clubs.  If the titans of industry that are the members there can get along without their cell phones for 3 or 4 hours, the rest of us can as well.  

Cell phones are not a big deal to me. I'm usually on mine a few times every round especially when driving. But if there's a group behind me or I'm playing with someone I'll do a quick check and get back to on the course. Nothing worse than admitting you didn't see a shot because you were trying to spell a word out.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Quite easily, un repaired ball marks. Happens even in the private course I play with. But lately it's also been the guy that has a tip for everything. Slow play as well, but doesn't everyone hate that?

Love playing with new people, but I hate the groups that let you play with them, but then want you to play through when you start playing better than them or their "Leader," that's just dumb (no way to put it more eloquently). I don't care how others play, rules or otherwise, I don't play for money or in a club so that helps with that sentiment.

I do play music, but I always turn it off within 50-100 yds of a tee/ green, and never on when playing with others- particularly strangers. 

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Crap like this

20160504_190030.jpg

Yea sure guy. Hit from wherever the F you want. Y'all shoulda seen where his wife was hitting from. No where close to the ropes.

hahahaha. you seen that guy too. It's the same guy that miraculously finds his ball when you know there "aint" no way in HELL it was findable. Hits his tee shot with a ProV , then all of a sudden its a Rock Flight on the green.

Played with that guy last week in Punta Cana. He hit his tee shot so hard that not only did the ball change brands mid flight it also changed color. White Titleist off the tee and claimed he found it in the junk as a yellow Srixon. I can't make this sh!t up.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Played with that guy last week in Punta Cana. He hit his tee shot so hard that not only did the ball change brands mid flight it also changed color. White Titleist off the tee and claimed he found it in the junk as a yellow Srixon. I can't make this sh!t up.

All I have to say, is it sure sounds like this guy is one well traveled golfer. We all have our experiences with him! Haha.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

let my guess....... he saved par with the tennis ball 

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

let my guess....... he saved par with the tennis ball

You know it. Need to do all you can when you are playing $1 a hole.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

I love this thread. Haha.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Just played this morning with a guy who spent way too much time on the greens, check from behind, check from half way to the hole, check from the opposite side of the hole, plumb bob, two or three practice strokes and still missed the put or came up way short. Finally after 9 holes I told him I was going to play ahead and that 2 1/2 hours to play nine hole with no one in front of us was way too much time. I finished up in an hour and 20 minutes but man I could not take anymore of that PGA tour want to be attitude on the greens. Speed it up!!

This isn't anything caused by another golfer, it's all on me.  but...

My new biggest pet peeve, having to hit a bunker shot into a 20mph+ wind.  Especially early in the round.  Just covered in sand for the rest of the day.  Even worse when it's hot out and you are sweating.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Played all day as a twosome with a single hanging back. Suddenly with 4 holes left, the single starts pressing us to speed up. There is nobody behind this guy, and nobody in front of us, but suddenly he's right on our butts. Btw, we played our 18 in 3 hours. I told him to play through on #16.

Played all day as a twosome with a single hanging back. Suddenly with 4 holes left, the single starts pressing us to speed up. There is nobody behind this guy, and nobody in front of us, but suddenly he's right on our butts. Btw, we played our 18 in 3 hours. I told him to play through on #16.

Prolly late for the A-hole convention  ;)

Add this guy to the list....way too much technology guy. Played a quick 9 today and the guy I was paired with had a GPS watch, GPS app on his phone and a rangefinder. All well and good, I have all three as well. The difference is that I don't consult all three for every darn shot. Actually I really don't use anything by my laser. I had to bail after 9 since I just could not take it anymore.

Best was blaming a chunked wedge on the inconsistency in yardage that gave him some indecision. Apparently his watch was off two yards from the app. This guys swing looked like an octopus falling from a tree, but yeah blame the digital caddy.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

This isn't anything caused by another golfer, it's all on me.  but...

My new biggest pet peeve, having to hit a bunker shot into a 20mph+ wind.  Especially early in the round.  Just covered in sand for the rest of the day.  Even worse when it's hot out and you are sweating.

Yessiree!!  #18 at my course.  Sand down the right side of the fairway from 170 to the green.  Once I'm in it, usually around 125-140, it's all sand to the green unless I just punch out but that's just not manly.  So, sand in the face not once, but twice or three times!?!  At least it's the last hole.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yessiree!!  #18 at my course.  Sand down the right side of the fairway from 170 to the green.  Once I'm in it, usually around 125-140, it's all sand to the green unless I just punch out but that's just not manly.  So, sand in the face not once, but twice or three times!?!  At least it's the last hole.

now thats a lot of "Fiber" in ones diet..........

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

now thats a lot of "Fiber" in ones diet..........

I wouldn't say fiber, more like minerals.  Now I just need to add vitamins.

Archived