Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - PING CROSSOVER

JBones

Ping Crossover.jpg

OFFICIAL PING CROSSOVER REVIEW

Trouble with the long irons?  Can't hit a hybrid?  Maybe the PING Crossover is your answer.  Below four members will be reviewing the club to give you the information you'll need to possibly save your long game.

Without further ado, here are the testers.

BigtazzGolf                Stage One          Stage Two          Stage Three

Evershady                 Stage One         Stage Two          Stage Three

Westy                        Stage One         Stage Two           Stage Three

jumull                        Stage One          Stage Two          Stage Three

Let us know what you think!

Visit PINGs website HERE

Like PING on Facebook HERE

Follow PING on Twitter HERE

I'm super excited to be chosen to test this Ping Cross Over. I was pretty brand specific until it join MGS a couple years ago now I will play whatever club fits me the best. But I haven't had the chance to upgrade my clubs. I currently have mostly Ping clubs Anser 3w, I20 irons, and Ping Glide wedges. Only changes the King LTD Pro I won from the newsletter sign up giveaway, and my new Edel putter.  The other club in my bag is the Ping Rapture 2i. The 2i is 18* 37.75” X-flex graphite. I got the 3 Crossover also 18* and 37.75”. I pick up the Rapture used from 2nd Swing with orange dot 2.25* flat. My Irons are silver dot 3.75* upright so very different.  Despite this I still hit the Rapture rather well and it fit a need in my gaps.  I am hoping that the crossover will be easier to hit as they claim and can take the place of the the Rapture in my bag.

Now onto the Questions.

• Handicap- Currently at a 12 hopefully will drop that lower.
  • Strengths of my game? My main strength has always been distance my driver swing speed can touch 130 MPH with my 7 Iron running in the 105 MH range. Currently I can over power my shafts leading to too much spin.
  • Weakness? Putting I have averaged over 2 putts per hole for over 5 years. As they say Drive for show putt for dough. I'm all show. But improving.  
  • Typical ball flight High High High every club High this is partially where my club overpowering come in too much spin with current shafts can't hit low to save my life.  
  • My miss is usually slice that comes with the power shot or the over the top pull.
  • What kind of golfer am I?  I'm the Tin Cup type I know I can pull off any shot, but not always the safest or smartest play occasionally I pull it more often than not I fail and my round goes down in flames. This is also one of the main things I am working on correcting but it's just so hard to play the smart safe shot instead of going for it.

This will be a gap filler club for me in my bag. It should sit right between my 3w and my 3i. 

Edit 1.jpg

Edit 2.jpgEdit3.jpgEdit 5.jpgEdit 4.jpg

I will post a video of my swing in the next few days .

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Ping Crossover 3– Official MGS Forum Review by Evershady

Ping sent me the new G Hybrid Crossover 3. It specs out with 18* loft, 39.75” length mine is +.25,”   58.51* lie, with a D0 swing weight. AWT 2.0 X-Stiff shaft 109 grams (the heaviest stock shaft Ping offers for the club).

I am always on the lookout for a club that fits between my 3w which I hit about 260+ yard range and my 3I which comes in around the 220 to 225 yard range.  Pretty much want a club like the Jason Day 2I a long club that can go straight and use it on tight courses.

A little about myself: I have been golfing since my senior year in high school so 15 years now, we moved from Boulder City NV to a Liberal MO a little farm town. In BC you had to be good to be on the golf team, the Liberal team was started by a couple of my friends and was in the last year of being a school sport and anyone could play. So I borrowed a set of clubs from my buddy who started the team and went out. I wasn't very good but could straight smash the ball. At the banquet the coach said I could hit the ball far with any club, and that's still my M.O. but I'm a little better now.   I have been playing Ping irons since I moved up to Minnesota about 8 years ago starting with I10's I bought on eBay and moving up to I20's about 4 years ago. Also have the Anser 3w and Gorge wedges. I was playing an Anser driver until winning the King Cobra LTD from My Golf Spy newsletter contest.

My main miss is a big slice, but I do like to hit a little fade. I tend to be a bit wild with the driver and get into trouble on tight courses.  Also I have zero trouble hitting the ball high, but low shots are tough for me. The wind is my nemesis and I have been working to get better in windy conditions. My handicap is currently a 12 but should be going down as my chipping and putting are getting better every day.

What is currently in my bag:

●   King Cobra LTD Pro set at 7.5* fade w/ Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-stiff

●   Ping Anser 14* w/TFC 800 X-flex

●   Ping Rapture 18* 2I w/TFC 949 X-flex

●   Ping I-20 3-PW Sliver dot 3.75* Upright +0.25 w/CFS X-stiffss

●   Ping Glide – 52 bent to 51 SS and 56 SS w? True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

●   Edel E2 35”

At the Range

I love the range and go there just about every day. So first thing I did when I received the 3 Crossover was hit the range and check out the club. To be completely honest I did not like the first few swings I had with this club.  For some reason I could not find the sweet spot. The head of the club is large, much taller, and longer than my Rapture that I was used to hitting. Even thought the strike zone is a similar size.

Edit3.jpg

I also scattered just about all my shot could not get two balls to go the same direction. After about 3 range sessions I was finally able to hit a solid shot with the 3 Crossover.My best one was a straight, high, long flyer that banged off the maintenance shed at the end of the range about 250 yards away. But I still lack consistency.

Range Score: (13 of 20 points)

On the Course

At my home course the front 9 has 3 holes where I need to use this club for tee shots

#1 is a short par 4 where driver could go over green and OB behind. 3W can hit front bunker on right or stuck behind trees on left.

#5 about a 350 yard par 4 with water about 270 yards out needing 285 yards to carry and almost straight into the wind that comes off the lake. So I need a lower tee shot that stays out of the water.

#6 is about a 360 yard par 4 with a big dog leg right protected by trees and a waste bunker between tee and green, and lake running along the left the whole way up and around and if you go straight and long I can end up there with driver.

Also the first few times out I used it to tee off on both par 5s on front to get two shots with the club.   

I have yet to find the fairway on #1 as every shot has been way right close to #2 tee box and not in a good spot to come in, the same go for # 4 always right and in the trees on that side the only hole that I have had good success with is #6 where the left to right shot follows the dogleg.

The only shots I can get to go left with the club are horrible contacted shots. I figure most of this is due to the fact that my clubs are upright and this one is flat. A good swing has a divot on about as wide as a quarter and all my wear is on the toe side of the club.  

I really darkened these photos to show only 2/3 the club is hitting the ground.

Wear 1.jpg

wear 2.jpg

wear 3.jpg

Looks

Looks of the club are awesome. I love the black finish looking down it is a little big but isn't a concern.  

change 1.jpg

change 2.jpg

Looks Score: (17 of 20 points)

Sound and Feel

This is the part of the test that I have had to most trouble with. The first day the sound was awful high pitched and ear piercing. It has gotten a bit better as I have improved contact with the club and again I think this has a lot to do with lie angle and possibly the shaft selection. My swing speed is over 125 with driver and 105 with 7I. And I don't think the 109 gram shaft is helping me much.   On the few solid shots I have hit the sound is good and crip, but those shot are few and in between.

change 4.jpg

Sound and Feel Score: (10 of 20 points)

I think this could be improved on with a properly fit club.  

Likelihood of Purchase

With the current setup of the Crossover there would be no chance of purchase for me. When I bought my Rapture I hit a few swing and just crushed them hit it crazy good but I need more versatility. My first few swings with the Crossover did not go well and I would have put it back right away. But is has gotten better the flight is high and long but usually further right than I would like.

LOP Score: (5 of 20 points)

Total Score: (45 Points)

Before I give up on this test though I plan on doing a couple things, First is replacing the shaft to give one I think will hold up to my speeds, either C-Taper 130 or an X7. Second if get the lie angle adjusted to fit my swing and counter that big right ball flight and hopefully give me a little more control. I just don't think the club is setup right for my swing speed or style. But will adjust it and give it a try. I play Ping and I like Ping think they make some of the best stuff out there and I expect a lot when I pick up a Ping club. The Crossover is a club that should fit in my game and fill a spot in my bag and I was super excited about getting to test, but right now it just hasn't lived up to the expectations.     

change 3.jpg

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Stage Three - The Follow Up & Value Question.

I really enjoyed testing this club and want to thank My Golf Spy and Ping for the opportunity.

The Five

1.Will this product go in your bag? Why or why not? Unfortunately this club will not be going in my bag. I just never felt I could trust it, I did hit some really fantastic shots but I hit a bunch of awful ones too. I have recently built myself a set of clubs that include a 2I that I find works better for me. I just never really got this club going and gave it my best shot.

2.To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this product? Why? I would have to say that this club is probably better suited for guys with 110 and under swing speeds. And guys who need help getting the ball in the Air. I do not have that problem I can hit any club super high. Its not a bad club just not right for me.

3.How, if at all, did this product change your overall impression of Ping? Ping is a top notch golf company that makes fantastic equipment always have been always will. Didn't change my opinion at all. When I'm in the market for new equipment they will still be my first and quite possibly that last stop after trying a few others.

4.What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model? The main thing I would change is the sound it make on miss hits that was just the worst noise in the world it literally made my ear hurt. Have a while I started hit the sweet spot more often and that sound isn't bad but my first few swing made a terrible sound.

5.What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models? I really enjoyed the look of this club looking down and seeing black head was just excellent. I would like to see a full set of Ping irons in this black.

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Ping Crossover 4 – Official MGS Forum Review

by BigtazzGOLF

Like to start off and thank the guys at MGS and Ping for this opportunity.
Making a new guy feel all warm n fuzzy haha
Without further ado, on to the Q&A

The Questions
● Handicap/average score? 13
● Strengths of your game? Length
● Weakness of your game? Putting
● Typical ball flight? High
● Typical miss? Right
● Current comparable equipment? TM Speedblade 4i (same loft)
● Swing tempo? Smooth
● Driver swing speed? 110
● Video of swing? (will get one on next range session)
● What makes you love the game? The competition and friendships I've developed over the years
● How long have you been golfing? 20 yrs
● What kind of golfer are you? Competitive, but fun
● What's your story?

My story is normal and similar to others yet different than most. I'm married with 3 kids (no longer kids except my baby girl, she's 16 and will always be my baby) My wife of almost 22 years has put up with my golf game since I caught the bug 2 years after we wed. She doesn't play, but I'm still holding hope she will someday. My oldest son, who is in the Navy, has caught the bug and tries to play when he can and when he comes home on leave. His new wife doesn't play, but does like to drive the cart I believe, so that's a plus. Still waiting on my middle son to catch the bug, but being a freshman at the University of Tenn. doesn't allow much free time. My first set of clubs I bought from Service Merchandise and having never played except for some range time at Putt Putt I thought I was ready. I went to the local muni and was paired up with three old guys. I shook their hands and apologized as I told them this was my first time on the course to actually play and I'd try not to slow them down. That day I learned that you “drive for show and putt for dough” I could crush a ball back then and still do, but I learned from those old guys who I out drove by a 100 yds every time, but I was spraying it all over and they stayed right down the middle and making boring pars as I hacked my way to doubles and triple bogies. After 18 holes I was tired, demoralized and beat down by this game lol. I carded a 110 and one of the old guys tried to cheer me up by telling me that wasn't too bad for my first time. A few years later I advanced to my first real set of clubs, the Callaway X series driver and woods and the x-18 irons (my son now has these minus the woods) I started playing better and even won my flight in the city publink. I then found my current league The GolfNuts. Playing competitive rounds every week with those guys has helped me to lower my score to mid to low 80's on a regular basis. Keep in mind I've never had a lesson and the 45 min Group-on lesson I received, I don't count. If I could change that in my golf life, I'd have gotten some lessons before I got set in my ways. Who knows, there still may be time =)

● What is in your bag?

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8° with Grafalloy ProLite 35

Taylormade Jetspeed 3 wood 15*

Taylormade Speedblades 4-PW

Cleveland CG16 Satin 52*

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 56*

Odyssey Metal X putter #1

● How did you choose them?

Cost, feel, and looks (looks are important I think, it gives me confidence when looking down at the club.
● What region do you play out of?

South
● Are you a tinkerer or a set and forget it type?

Set and forget, once I have things how I like them, I'll never touch it.

This is going to be a fun few weeks of testing and reviewing =)
A few thoughts to start with,
When my package arrived I opened the box and discovered Ping shipped me the 4 crossover with the Alta 70 stiff shaft with a standard Ping grip.
The club headcover caught me off guard as not worthy of this club.
A generic black neoprene cover and no logos. Maybe it was just put on for shipping as the tag in the box is marked no headcover.
Something else I thought would/should have been in the box would have been something from Ping explaining how they came up with this club/grip/shaft combination for me.

My first launch monitor session (first swings with Crossover)
These are just the averages between my Taylormade 4 iron and the Ping 4 Crossover.
As you can see, basically the same. I'm hoping the Crossover numbers improve as far as distance goes once I change the grip to a more familiar midsize Lamkin and get used to it. Otherwise, it isn't Crossing over to my longer woods, but trying to replace my 4 iron.
IMG_20160510_165916.jpg

Head cover, guessing only for shipping.
20160510_163600.jpg

Ping standard black grip
20160510_163736.jpg

Ping Crossover and Taylormade Speedblade 4 iron (top view)
20160510_164021-1.jpg

Ping Crossover and Taylormade Speedblade 4 iron (behind view)
20160510_163911-1.jpg

Ping Crossover and Taylormade Speedblade 4 iron (face view)
20160510_163848-1.jpg

Ping Crossover and Taylormade Speedblade 4 iron (side by side)
20160510_163831-1.jpg

Ping Alta 70 shaft stiff flex
20160510_163702-1.jpg

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Ping Crossover 4 – Official MGS Forum

Review by BigtazzGOLF

I apologize for my delay in getting this posted, but most know of my lil health hiccup. I've been able to get a few rounds in and some range time with this club over the last 4 weeks and I've been able to continue my review process.

I'm reviewing the Ping Crossover 4

This product is something I looked forward to trying as soon as I heard about it. I'm an avoid driving iron lover and I've been on the hunt to find a new one. The Crossover isn't a traditional driving iron, but I was thinking/hoping it would fit my needs.

I don't play any hybrids and my 4 iron is my longest iron. I alternate my driving iron and 5 wood depending on the course I play and I'm hoping the Crossover will replace both of those 2 clubs.

Performance at the Range

●      Accuracy – Are you able to consistently hit your target?

Hitting my target is a loose term lol, this club has the similar ball flight as my current 4 iron and it does go where I want it to go “most” of the time. (Not the clubs fault in missing the target though.)

●      Distance – How does the club compare to other products strictly from a distance perspective?

The Crossover when struck well travels the same distance as my current 4 iron, sometimes further with roll.

●      Trajectory Characteristics – Does the ball launch high or low, or somewhere in-between? Do you find it more or less difficult to get the ball in the air?

Ball flight is high and easy to get up into the air. Getting the ball up is not my issue as much as keeping it down.

●      Forgiveness – What happens when you mishit the ball? How much distance is lost? Does the ball still remain between the trees?

On mishits I loose maybe 15-20 yards and depending on the mishit it usually stays 10-15 yards of my aim line. Not a lot of slicing or draw hooks with the club.

●      Control – Are you able to make the ball do what you want it to (within the limitations of your own abilities). Can you launch high or low when you need to? Are you able to move the ball right to left or left to right?

I wasn't able to move the ball like I could with my 4 iron or 5 wood. I used the 5 wood to make sure I could move the ball with a more similar club face than my iron. All my shots went high, but that's not the clubs fault, just how I hit the ball.

Range Score: (16 of 20 points)

Performance on the Course

●      Accuracy – How well did you hit the fairways? Were you often right/left/short/long?

Didn't have many chances to hit this club from the tee, most of my on course hits came from the fairway or rough. Accuracy to the green from these places was spot on if I caught the ball on the center. Off center strikes didn't hurt as much as expected. Ball usually stayed in a playable position.

●      Distance – How does the product compare to other products strictly from a distance perspective?

This club compared well as far as distance as the club it was intended to replace. In my testing, club sent to me was intended to replace a 4 iron and both clubs averaged the same distance.

●      Consistency – If you were going for a 250 yard drive, did you get a 250 yard shot or did it vary by +/- 30 yards?

When I hit center on the club face the ball would always go to the same spot and distance. Off center hits got sprayed depending if I hit it off the toe or heel. The dispersion pattern stayed fairly tight for me.

●      Shot Shaping – If the course you play requires a certain type of ball flight for certain holes, were you able to hit this shot within reason for your skill level?

I was not able to really shape shots with this, all of my shots stayed pretty much straight or had my natural 3-4 yd fade. Probably not the clubs fault in this area.

●      Carry vs Roll – Does the ball stay in the air forever and stop or do you hit low fliers that roll forever. Which is better for your course?

With my shots, the balls flew high and stopped upon landing. Tried to vary the ball height, but wasn't able to accomplish this. Everything stayed high.

Course Score: (16 of 20 points)

Performance Notes

●      How did it perform?

Fine

●      Were you pleased with how the club(s) performed?

Yes

●      Please compare and contrast it to what you are currently playing?

Compared to Taylormade Speedblade 4 iron

●      What factors were you pleased with?

Looks and feel. The club had a clean look and not flashy. I liked and the feel on well struck shots is always nice.

●      How did it compare to your current gamer(s)?

Similar to current club, no real difference in my 4 iron.

●      Did you notice better production on the range or on the course more?

Better on the course to me. Range time didn't feel right, but that may have been mats we hit from.

●      Could you use it in both settings? 

Yes

●      What factors did you find lacking?

Control-ability and lack of ingenuity

●      What improvements would you like to see? 

Not sure any improvements are needed with this club other than a funny sound on ball contact.

●      What would you do away with? 

Myself, I would not do away with anything from my bag. The club provided to me for testing performed similar to my 4 iron

Subjective

Looks

●      General shape

The Crossover has the similar look from above as a driving iron or long iron

●      Offset.

The Offset of the club is just a little more than my 4 iron and not really noticeable

●      Graphics.

The graphics of the Crossover are clean and neat. This is something I really like about it. The one thing I disliked, but I dislike this on all new clubs is the generic grip.

●      How does it come together visually?

On setup this club looks and feels like you can hit it far.

●      How does it compare to other products in its category?

Since Ping stats this club isn't a driving iron/hybrid or wood, but a crossover. It is in a category by itself and not easily compared to these other clubs. In my hands on testing I did compare them to my driving iron and 5 wood and 4 iron, these are the clubs the crossover is looking to replace or crossover from one to the other.

Looks Score: (18 of 20 points)

Sound and Feel

●      Sound off the club has a porcelain type sound to me, but still feels nice and smooth thru the ball. Off center hits still have the odd sound and you can feel the club head twist. Losing distance and accuracy as expected when you mishit any club.

Comparing the Crossover to other clubs on center hit shots, it feels the same. The off center hits are where I notice a difference; it didn't seem as forgiving as my iron. The sound of the ball of the club face could be distracting if you aren't used to it.

Sound and Feel Score: (14 of 20 points)

Likelihood of Purchase

●      I'm on the fence as to my likelihood of purchase of the Crossover. I like the idea of this club, but after testing it at the course and at the range it just doesn't fit my game right now. Once you remove the title, this club is a hybrid at heart in my opinion. It'll fit well with some players, but not so well with others. I may have had a different opinion with the 3 Crossover instead of the 4 and the sound off the face wasn't so distracting to me.

Current price of this club (my local Golfsmith store $230.00) puts it in the upper scale of the pack of clubs similar to it. This is what really turns me off, but I suppose this is the direction club prices are trending these days.

LOP Score: (13 of 20 points)

Subjective Notes

I was very excited for this club to really perform well and bridge the gap from my 4 iron to my 3 wood. I was a little let down when I received a club that wouldn't accomplish this. Still giving it a 100% I tested the Crossover and was surprised at how easy it was to hit from various lies and do believe it'll work for a certain type of player.

Questions & Answers

To sum up my thoughts about the Ping Crossover, this club is put together nicely and it feels and looks good in your hands. It plays well from the rough or fairway with ease. If you play hybrids you will like this club. If you play long irons and might need a club to ease you into hybrids, I think this club would be perfect.

Maybe the only drawback in my opinion is trying to bring this club to a  market under the name “crossover” even though it comes up listed as a hybrid in the online stores (Golfsmith, TGW, Golf Headquarters just to name a few). The club I tested didn't bridge the gap between my irons and my woods, not sure if Ping sent the wrong club to me in error or if they felt this club is what was best for me going off my current clubs.

Total Score:

(16+16+18+14+13) 77/100

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

The Five

1.    Will this product go in your bag?

This club won't make it in my bag on a regular basis, but I see it being played by me when conditions are wet and the turf is soft when the ball won't roll out.

2.    To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this product?

I'd recommend this club to current hybrid players. If you play hybrids you will like this club. If you play long irons and might need a club to ease you into hybrids, I think this club would be perfect.

3.    How, if at all, did this product change your overall impression of [brand]?

My opinion of Ping remained the same, still think it is a great club maker.

4.    What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

Remove the screw from the heel and fix the sound when you hit a ball.

5.    What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

I like the clean looks and feel of the club in your hands and when you swing it.

I'd like to think Ping and MGS for the chance to review this club and provide my opinions.

I hope you find the info useful and helpful to your decision making process on this club if your looking to try it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

I'm totally pumped for the opportunity to do a review for MGS, Ping and the forum! A little nervous too, if I'm honest - can I produce a review that's up to par (pun intended) - but it's a good nervous! Thanks MGS for the privilege! Also, I think the fit (to review this club) is really good for me because I've always had a yardage gap between my 5 iron and 4 hybrid, while the gap between my 5 & 6 irons is smaller, relative to the gaps in my other irons. At good bit of that is a result of my swing issues and as I'm working with my instructor has shown signs of improving. Nevertheless I was excited to see how the 5 Crossover might fit in my case, perhaps replacing the 5 or maybe filling the gap. I'll do my best to share what I find in a way that is meaningful to as many of you as possible.

The Questions:

Handicap/average score? 93.4 avg. 18 hole score

Strengths of your game? Chipping & putting, sometimes driver

Weakness of your game? Consistency with longer clubs. (Some days almost everything :-)

Typical ball flight? With my irons/wedges - high, everything else medium

Typical miss? Varies, but maybe short right or long left

Current comparable equipment? 4 Hybrid and 5 iron

Swing tempo? Slow to Moderate, that's how it “feels”. When my brain decides to suddenly revert, the transition can feel like a sudden jerk forward followed by a lunge. Those usually result in helping the golf club move around large portions of their real estate, while ball movement is greatly minimized. Thankfully those manifestations are becoming more rare, albeit not yet extinct.

Driver swing speed? Last checked (2 years ago) 86-88 (see comments below)

Video of swing? Will try to post something sometime during my review.

What makes you love the game? The camaraderie of spending time with other guys, family members, maybe the dangling carrot of there's always more, can't be conquered… Not sure what all, just know I love it!

How long have you been golfing? With any level of dedication - 3 years.

What kind of golfer are you? Casual in that I don't currently play in any kind of competitive tournaments, but definitely dedicated to improving and wouldn't mind playing competitively (just for fun - I'm not disillusioned) Not sure what all this question is looking, if there's something else or more, maybe my story below will give you a feel.

What's your story? See below.

What is in your bag? Driver: Ping G30, Fairways: Ping G25 (3&5), Hybrid: Ping i25 4H (22 degree), Irons: Ping i25 5-GW, Wedge: Ping Tour Gorge (56 bent to 55) and Putter: Ping Ketsch CB. Shafts (stiff) were all selected from whatever stock choices Ping offered when I purchased the clubs. Of the stock options, my fitter went by which one I hit best. I had a budget and getting a bag full of new clubs was Christmas enough for the time being!

How did you choose them? Researched by asking my fitter for input on brand and value, read many reviews/articles (this was how I found MGS and MGS blog articles and reviews directly contributed to my decisions to try my current putter and driver.

What region do you play out of? Central Ohio (45 minutes Northeast of Columbus) - Mount Vernon, OH.

Are you a tinkerer or a set and forget it type? More a tinkerer than a forget it type. I can be slow in making actual changes, but I love researching, reading, demoing stuff, and keeping up with the latest.

I was introduced to golf in my early twenties, but other than the first year, never played more than a handful of times per year and there was 8-10 year period where I almost never played. Three years ago I decided to narrow my interests and I chose golf as my primary hobby, activity, whatever you want to call it, outside of work. I chose golf, because (besides the obvious - I love it), it is something I can do with my sons from now (they're 6 & 8) until I can't physically do it anymore, whenever that is - hopefully a long time! In the years prior to making that choice I had never shown the slightest sign of improvement much less break 100, 90, 80… So I began taking lessons and eventually got fitted for my entire bag.

I've continued working with an instructor, still focusing on my full swing, and in the last 12 months, I've gone from fighting to occasionally break 100, to consistently shooting in the upper 80s - low 90s, with a personal best of 88 (I did have a 40 on a recent 9 hole round). The improvement represents more than just what my score reflects though - as my long game has improved because of better ball-striking, more distance, in play more often, etc.., the satisfaction and joy of playing have grown far more. Sure I can still embarrass myself and reveal a swing here and there that looks like something out of some kind of horror show; certainly nothing that looks like it should be on a golf course, but with increasing consistency my brain and body are working together in swing faster, smoother and more relaxed vs. the old swing harder, muscle up, full-of-tension flailings of the past. When I began working with an instructor I had to do a complete overhaul (yes, it was that bad). I'm still working on a few changes in my swing and as a result am still too inconsistent. If I had to name a predominant miss, with my irons I would probably say right and short, but sometimes it's long and left. When my swing is at it's most fluid, relaxed best, my strengths would be driver, then short game, followed by 7 iron and less. The days I score the best is when I keep it in play with good distance, then get it close (if not on the green), then get up and down. While my short game is not great, it's good enough that if it's off (especially chipping and putting), then I can't score well no matter how well I strike the ball.

Last summer I started using The Grint app to track my rounds and according to that, my current handicap (I'm using the free version and don't have an official handicap) is fluctuating between 18-20 and the trend has been steadily lower. My swing improves I'm seeing better swing speeds too, at least I'm pretty sure. I haven't been on a trackman recently, but when I last used a trackman it was in the upper 80s and while better contact is a significant part of it there's no way that speed could produce the carry distances I'm getting now. I'm seeing 235 to 250 on a fairly regular basis this spring, with an occasional one exceeding that. My goal is to spend some time with my fitter and his trackman as part off this review. So, we'll see.

The Specs:

5 Crossover, Std length, Aldila stiff flex, medium grip

image.jpeg

This a little hard to read in the pic, but it shows the specs as shown above. Unlike Westy's, it says "no head cover" and came with only a small black cover (like an iron cover) that looked like it was only intended for shipping protection. (Sorry forgot to get a pic of that - will add soon).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I will be adding some additional (and better) pics as soon as I can.

My initial impression of the Crossover is a bit mixed. I like the looks of the club and it feels solid, but in my first attempts to swing it, I had a hard time making solid contact. It just felt like it's swing weight or the club "balance" is different enough to throw me off. For now though, I will take the blame for it as I've been working through a tweak in my swing over the last couple weeks. When I have made good contact though, there's no question that it's significantly longer than I hit my 5 iron. I don't know the yardage yet, but that info it will be included in my review. I'm going to work with my instructor a bit too, to make sure I'm positioning and using it properly before I do my main review.

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

Ping G Crossover 5 – Official MGS Forum Review by John Mullett 

IMG_1177.jpg

Player Biography & Interview.

I was introduced to golf in my early twenties, but other than the first year, never played more than a handful of times per year and there was an 8-10 year period where I almost never played. Three years ago I decided to narrow my interests and I chose golf as my primary hobby, activity, whatever you want to call it, outside of work. I chose golf, because (besides the obvious - I love it), it is something I can do with my sons from now (they're 6 & 8) until I can't physically do it anymore, whenever that is - hopefully a long time! In the years prior to making that choice I had never shown the slightest sign of improvement much less break 100, 90, 80… So I began taking lessons and eventually got fitted for my entire bag. 

I've continued working with an instructor, still focusing on my full swing, and in the last 12 months, I've gone from fighting to occasionally break 100, to consistently shooting in the upper 80s - low 90s, with a personal best of 88 (I did have a 40 on a recent 9 hole round). The improvement represents more than just what my score reflects though - as my long game has improved because of better ball-striking, more distance, in play more often, etc.., the satisfaction and joy of playing have grown far more. Sure I can still embarrass myself and reveal a swing here and there that looks like something out of some kind of horror show; certainly nothing that looks like it should be on a golf course, but with increasing consistency my brain and body are working together in swing faster, smoother and more relaxed vs. the old swing harder, muscled-up, full-of-tension flailings of the past. When I began working with an instructor I had to do a complete overhaul (yes, it was that bad). I'm still working on a few changes in my swing and as a result am still too inconsistent. If I had to name a predominant miss, with my irons I would probably say right and short, but sometimes it's long and left. When my swing is at it's most fluid, relaxed best, my strengths would be driver, then short game, followed by 7 iron and less. The days I score the best is when I keep it in play with solid distance, then get it close (if not on the green), then get up and down. While my short game is not great, it's good enough that if it's off (especially chipping and putting), then I can't score well no matter how well I strike the ball.

Last summer I started using The Grint app to track my rounds and according to that, my current handicap (I'm using the free version and don't have an official handicap) is fluctuating between 18-20 and the trend has been steadily lower. As my swing improves, I'm seeing better swing speeds too; at least I'm pretty sure. I haven't been on a trackman recently, but when I last used a trackman it was in the upper 80s and while better contact is a significant part of it there's no way that speed could produce the carry distances I'm getting now. I'm seeing 235 to 250 on a fairly regular basis this spring, with an occasional one exceeding that.

For this review of the Ping G Crossover 5, I'm comparing it to my Ping i25 5 iron and my Ping i25 4 hybrid (22 degrees), because up until recently I have always had a yardage gap between those two clubs. I was thinking perhaps it would fill the that slot or possibly replace the 5 iron. However, as I keep working with my instructor, my 5 iron has come to life of late. I'm not particularly accurate with any of my longer clubs, but have seen significant improvement of late with the irons. The 4 hybrid comes and goes as far as accuracy goes; occasionally right, but more frequently a nasty, left of left, hook. To be fair to any and all clubs in this review (or otherwise), inconsistency in my swing from one day/week to another, is still a key source of my swing problems. In fact right around the time I received the Crossover, my instructor was working with me to make another tweak in my backswing and any change like that, no matter if it's small, gets me thinking in my swing and often feels like it totally messes me up. I was pretty concerned for the first couple weeks I wouldn't even be able to give this thing a fair shot - I couldn't hit two good shots in a row with the Crossover to save my neck. I didn't like how it felt to swing it - it was like it had a completely different feel than any of my other clubs. However, as I'm began moving toward a more relaxed and fluid swing again, I began to hit it much better and it feels just fine.

I've always tended to hit the ball with an open face, compensating for being too steep in my downswing and my hands getting too high resulting in a high, short and lazy ball flight. So I've been working to improve that, not just to add distance, but with a better, more controlled ball-flight. A stiff wind used to knock my ball right out of the air sometimes. I also could never really hit my 5 iron; if I hit it decent at all it barely went any further than my 6 iron. With the recent changes in my swing I'm hitting the 5 iron much better and have been seeing 185-195 regularly (used to be 165-175) and almost all of my irons have improved about 10-15 yards. Suddenly that gap between the 5 iron and the hybrid is not really there any more, but there may still be a place for the Crossover, as you'll see below. I'm an upper teens handicap (I don't have an official handicap, but it would be in the 18-19 range), so I usually consider straight shots as a good thing. On the range I play with shaping shots some, but rarely attempt it on the course, because I'm not ready for that. Take that in consideration as you read on. I was unable to get with my fitter and do a session on Trackman like I had hoped too. So, my review will be based on what I felt, saw and notes I took while comparing the clubs.

IMG_1277.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

Performance

Performance at the Range

As I mentioned above, early on, I couldn't hit two good shots in a row, but I knew my swing was a total mess at the time. My tendency at the time (with the Crossover) was to hit it low and right, sometimes with a pretty good slice, but over the last couple weeks, I've made progress in working through my swing adjustment, and hitting it straight and accurate has become much easier. These early impressions though, created some negativity that I had to overcome later.

As I've improved in hitting my 5 iron; it and the Crossover have been very close in overall distance, but the Crossover has a little higher trajectory, thus a little more carry. The Crossover seems to carry just a bit more punch, which I expected given the difference in the club heads. When I flush it, it carries 190 plus, with overall distance around 200-205. I'm not as consistent or accurate with my hybrid, but it's clearly longer than the Crossover, which is as it should be since the hybrid is a 4 at 22 degrees loft and the Crossover 5 is at 24 degrees. 

Now that I'm making more consistent contact with it, I‘m able to track and gauge it's forgiveness much better. I've seen some evidence that it's pretty forgiving out toward the toe and early on I felt like mishits toward the heel were more punishing than toward the toe, but I need to track this more before saying that with any certainty. I haven't tracked this nearly enough to draw any firm conclusions. In limited quantity, I do believe it has a good amount of forgiveness, just not able to quantify it just yet. 

For those wondering if you can shape shots with it, I'm getting to the point where I'll have range sessions in which I will try to shape shots, but of the most part I'm still just grateful when it goes straight and toward my target. I have not really tried with the Crossover, but I know I can both hook and slice shots with it, because I've done it :-)

For this review notes, much of my range work was done a couple weeks earlier than the on-course work and consequently was nearer to the time of my swing adjustment (see above) thus my impression of the club at the range is probably still a little tainted from that. That is changing, and in no small part to what I've been experiencing on the course over the last 2-3 weeks.

Range Score: (15 out of 20 points)

Performance on the Course

I haven't used it heavily on the course, in part because of the aforementioned struggles on the range. I tried a couple shots early on, then simply stopped using it on the course until my swing improved again. In a typical round, I only have a limited number of opportunities to use it, so I've also played several practice rounds where I only used the three clubs discussed and compared here, for tee shots and any shots outside of 175 yards. Since I've started using it more, it's been accurate and forgiving. This is actually where it has made the most impact for me (although the sample size is small), because I still tend the spray my 5 iron, and especially the hybrid. This has been a bit of a pleasant surprise. Because of some early frustrations on the range, I think subconsciously I started to believe it may not help me much, but as my swing has become more consistent, this thing has become a straight and accurate for me. While the sample size could be bigger, the trend is clearly in the right direction. 

For on course distance, it has compared with the 5 iron and 4 hybrid, very similar to what I described for on the range. On flushed shots, I'm getting 190-200 on a higher trajectory than the other two clubs, and it has more carry than my 5 iron. Again, like on the range, the hybrid is clearly longer as it should be. The Crossover clearly has a higher trajectory than I usually see with my hybrid and as well as some higher than my 5 iron too. While I definitely get more roll out with the other two clubs, the Crossover has more carry than the 5 iron.

I've been very pleased with this it's consistency, both off the tee and off the fairway. I need to use it out of the rough more, before making any declarations there. At this point, I'm still inclined to grab the five iron or possibly even the hybrid when faced with that. In limited attempts out of the rough, I still have a tendency to lose it to the right, which could be me holding on, too much tension, trying to swing too hard, etc…, because of being in the rough. 

The course I play does demand a few shaped shots, but not many; and the distances are not where I would normally use the Crossover, so I haven't tried any shaped shots on the course with it. My perception would be, that it really wouldn't compare to an iron on that front, but it's just a perception at this point.

Course Score: (16 of 20 points)

Crossover on the Range.jpg

Performance Notes

It took me some time to warm up to the Crossover, largely because of timing in catching me when making an adjustment to my swing. Overall, it launches a bit higher and is a little more consistent, both in accuracy and distance, than my 5 iron. The difference in distance is not huge, but a bit easier and more consistent. Accuracy with the Crossover is showing up more of late, so the sample size is small, but it's definitely getting my attention. I tend to spray my 5 iron some with the worst miss a nasty hook.

Over the last few weeks, none of that has shown itself with the Crossover. If I've made even decent contact, it has simply been long and straight. Comparing it to my (Ping i25 4 hybrid - 22 degree), it is easier to hit and more consistent (for me) at this point, enough so that I wouldn't mind comparing a 4 Crossover with my hybrid. if I could get from the 4 what I'm seeing from the 5 over the last couple weeks with the distance of my hybrid, it would be awfully hard not to make that switch. Overall, I am pleased with how it performs and now that I'm enjoying using it, it has a chance to become a favorite in my bag.

If I would change anything it probably would be the head cover. Mine only came with an iron-type (shape) cover made of something like neoprene. It's effective in protecting the head, but it doesn't look like a finished product that was intended for more than shipping. I'll keep using it, because I do want the club head protected. I haven't changed the grip, but I may do that sometime soon. I ordered a mid-size and the tag on the club said, “medium”, but it clearly feels thinner/smaller than the grips on my irons. 

Crossover on the Range.jpg

Subjective

Looks 

For me, the Crossover scores well here. It's not that I mind the look of a hybrid, or at least some of them :-), but if were choosing between a Crossover and a hybrid based purely on looks, the Crossover would win every time (as would an iron). With the black finish, the iron type face, and a more “classic” look when looking down a the club - I like it! However if you compare it with an iron, you definitely have to look at a thicker top line on the Crossover.

Looks Score: (18 out of 20 points)

Sound and Feel

As long as contact is anywhere near the center of the face, it sounds and feels solid. Obviously a bladed or really thin shot is never going to feel great, and if you get to close to the toe or heel, you will know it. It's not that it really jars or stings my hands, but it definitely lets me know. It takes just enough of the satisfaction that comes with a good strike, that you will know why the ball didn't go as far or wasn't quite as accurate as normal. Yet, it's forgiving enough that you will still get something out of the strike if it wasn't downright bad. I don't know how it feels high off the face, because I haven't had one of those.

Ironically, I played today and used the Crossover for only one shot, an approach shot from the fairway with 210-215 left on a par 5, playing a little bit downhill, with a bunker left and water right. Accuracy mattered, so I used the Crossover instead of my hybrid or 5 wood. My contact was a bit toward the toe (just at the outer end of the grooved part of the face), the result was 205 straight down the middle, stopped just a few steps in front of the green on a little up slope. when I hit it i knew it wasn't a pure strike, but when I spotted the ball it was in the air, online and making a bee-line for my target. If I would have pured it, I'm sure it would have made the green, but I didn't feel like it penalized me much at all. 

Sound and Feel Score: (15 of 20 points)

Likelihood of Purchase

Since I already had my 5 iron and 4 hybrid, I would be more likely to purchase this to replace the hybrid than I would my 5 iron. My 5 iron performance is improving markedly, I enjoy hitting it, and there some things I can do with it that I can't do as well with the Crossover (like low punch shots), but the hybrid, I might consider. If I didn't already have those two clubs, again, I would definitely look at the Crossover compared to a hybrid, but for an iron it would all depend on if I thought I could hit the iron without giving up too much. As it is, there's just enough of a “spot” in my bag, that I may keep the Crossover 5, but sooner or later I will probably take a harder look at the 4 as a possible replacement for my hybrid. If I could get the same performance and consistency as what I'm starting to see from the 5…

LOP Score: (14 of 20 points)

Subjective Notes

My impression of the Crossover is that it is a solid club, good performer and worth considering as an alternative to a long iron or hybrid depending on your need and preferences. I especially like it off the tee and have had some success off the fairway as well, but for me the jury is still out for it's performance out of the rough. I need to use it more in those situations before forming more of an opinion. There's nothing about the club that doesn't feel like quality to me, but certainly one can upgrade the shaft or grip for a better fit, should that be needed. I personally think it looks very nice.

Conclusion

In the end, what I can tell you is, that the Crossover is not a savior to rescue a terrible swing, although it is forgiving enough to offset a good bit of badness. If the problem is with the player then the club won't fix it - it's not that miraculous - but it is a good club and worthy of your consideration. If I can hit an equivalent iron well (3, 4, 5 - I don't have a 3 & 4), then I would go with the iron, but for any long iron or hybrid that you struggle with for consistency and accuracy, the Crossover could be a solution for you. The beautiful thing is, because it's Ping, you should be able to find plenty of pro shops/dealers where you can demo the club and test it for yourself.

Total Score: (78 out of 100)

IMG_1182.jpg

WITB:

Thanks again MyGolfSpy and Ping! It took a bit of time and some kinks worked out of my swing, but this thing has grown on me! I appreciate the opportunity!

The Five

1. Will this product go in your bag? Why or why not?
    1. Yes, it is in my bag and will be staying for the foreseeable future. It fits perfectly between my 5 iron and 4 hybrid and has addressed a distance gap I had there. It's proving to be a very reliable weapon for me. A good swing (doesn't have to be perfect) with solid contact will be rewarded time and again with a long, straight ball-flight. It took me a little time to learn how to swing/hit it properly, but I really like it! 

1. To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this product? Why? 
    1. Anyone who struggles a bit with consistency in their long irons or needs just a bit more pop than the corresponding iron. The Crossover provides the additional pop of a hybrid, but at least for me, a little more consistency. Bad contact will ruin the results of any club, but it sure doesn't need to be perfect for this club. For example, occasionally I tend to make contact out toward the toe and I lose very little distance/accuracy when that happens with this club.

1. How, if at all, did this product change your overall impression of Ping?
    1. I've been a Ping fan for several years now (I like the story behind Ping; the history, values, family owned, etc…) and my product experience (see my WITB) has been good, so my view of the company/brand was already favorable. Basically it's unchanged, but in a good way.

1. What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model? 
    1. Not much of anything except maybe produce/provide a good head cover for it.

1. What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?
    1. I like the hybrid style mass with the iron face. I'm hitting my 4 hybrid really well right now too, but I think that iron face gives me just a little more confidence, (especially for accuracy) when I'm standing over the ball.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have questions, I'll do my best to give helpful responses if I can.

WITB:

image.jpeg

So here I am sat on the West edge of England, North of Bristol and looking out over the Severn estuary towards Wales (for those not familiar with the geography of England - let's call it 100 miles West of London).

image.jpeg

Regular Golf Spy's will know me reasonably well - but for those who don't here's a little bit about me and my game; hopefully that will help you put some of the following posts into context.

I've been playing the game since my early teenage years and like many on the website I'm completely addicted; both to the game and to finding the latest greatest club to solve all my problems (MGS has helped temper this to an extent). I'm now 39 years old and obviously spend less time golfing and more time working or with my family (both my Boss and Wife may disagree) but I still manage to get out on the course a decent amount.

I've been a single figure golfer for 20 years ranging between 5 and 9 handicap and with a game that's best described as steady - not exciting, just steady. My game has always been based on making as many pars as possible, keeping it in play and avoiding doubles. Oh and I fade the ball, it's always been my stock shot.

image.jpeg

About 7 years ago I hurt my back, skiing (my other real passion in sport) in Canada and needed 2 discs sorted out, after the operation my swing was significantly shortened (take note Tiger!) and my swing speed dropped dramatically. My current driver speed is low 90's and that's with a very smooth tempo. I've lost a lot of distance - but the ball is in place so much more!

The contents of my golf bag are pretty eclectic, I'm not loyal to a manufacturer - in short I try things out, if I like them they go in the bag. Check my signature out for my current bag setup (it changes a bit here and there depending on the course I'm playing).

image.jpeg

A few weeks ago I was excited to find out that MGS had chosen me to be one of the testers for the Ping Crossover - that was doubly exciting for me. First I love new gear and it's nice to be asked to do these and secondly I'd actually been considering adding either a crossover to my bag or the equivalent from Callaway or Cobra.

Although hybrids have made a big difference to my game over the past few years it's true to say I've fallen out of love with them of late - particularly off the tee when looking to play safe and pop it down the fairway. At the same time my 4 iron isn't exactly monstrous and although it's straight it tends to leave me a long way back - so I wanted a reliable fairway finder that gives me close to hybrid distance but iron like straightness - with the Crossover have I found it........

Despite a warning from MGS that being in the old country I might have to wait a while for my club to turn up, shock horror mine seemed to appear first. Mrs Westy took delivery whilst I was away for a day or two with work; so the quandary on getting home - spend some time with my 5 year old and wife or go and unpack the new club...... Think you know the answer.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So there we have it a Ping Crossover Number 4 (21 degree) with a Stiff Alta 70 shaft and the white code Ping grip.

image.jpeg

I won't duplicate any of the review to come at this point, but I will give some initial thoughts:

1. Instinctively it doesn't feel as big as the old G series hybrid/iron from a few years ago - I remember that being ugly, large and off putting. Picture below shows a comparison against my G30 4 iron and an Adams XTD Hybrid (21.5 degree) - the transition in size seems sensible. Oh yes, the top line isn't for those who love a bladed 2 iron!

image.jpeg

2. Similarly the shaft length seems to be in between the hybrid (a 21.5 so I reckon a good comparison) and the 4 iron. Not crazy long was my first thought - would an equivalent from TM or Callaway be an inch longer....

image.jpeg

3. The black finish to the club is something I like, how will it wear? We shall have to see - I know it lasts on their putters ok, but I rarely try and hit the ball off the tee with my putter!

4. It's a small thing but the head cover doesn't feel quite right; Ping put really good ones on their putters - this one feels like an after thought to me....

image.jpeg

5. Probably the biggest question I have looking down on the club, will it perform off the ground for a mortal like me? Off a tee is usually ok for low loft clubs, will it become a knee high rocket launcher off the cut grass?

So there we have it folks, first post in this thread from me - more to come including a session on the launch monitor in the next week or so. If you have questions please pop them on the thread and I'll pick them up - just remember the time difference, I might just be asleep!

Cheers

MildMildWest (aka Westy)

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Ping Crossover – Official MGS Forum Review by Mild Mild West (AKA Mike West)

photo1.jpg

I've been playing the game since my early teenage years and like many on the website I'm completely addicted; both to the game and to finding the latest greatest club to solve all my problems (MGS has helped temper this to an extent). I'm now 39 years old and obviously spend less time golfing and more time working or with my family (both my Boss and Wife may disagree) but I still manage to get out on the course a decent amount.

I've been a single figure golfer for 20 years ranging between 5 and 9 handicap and with a game that's best described as steady - not exciting, just steady. My game has always been based on making as many pars as possible, keeping it in play and avoiding doubles. Oh and I fade the ball, it's always been my stock shot.

Before the Crossover I had a number of ways of filling the top end of my bag; Ping G30 4 Iron, then Adams XTD 21.5 Hybrid then either an adams Tight Lies 4 wood or an Adams Blue 19 degree Hybrid.  Truthfully I never really knew what worked best for me – a caddy might be a useful purchase!

I've said it before, I'm going to say it again, I don't hit the ball very far.  I don't have a long swing, my back hinders me greatly.  So I put a great deal of stall in straight, no good being short and in the rough when you will struggle to get it to the green.  So clubs which might give me a few extra yards but, above all other things, are straight interest me greatly.

I like Ping Clubs, I carry Ping I25 and G30 irons and a Piper TR Putter – but to this date have never got on with their woods or hybrids.  So I was really interested to see whether the Crossover could find its way into my bag longer term.

Performance at the Range

So for me Range performance is the more factual of the methodologies for testing clubs, you hit a fair number of balls from identical lies and you can compare clubs with each other fairly.  I'll talk about this later though – factual is not the same as real life performance. 

So although I've used a few range sessions, once I was comfortable with the Crossover in my hands I booked a session on the Monitor at InPlay Golf in Bristol.  My plan was to test the Crossover against the G30 4 Iron and Adams XTD Hybrid (21.5) that have lived in my bag for a while.  I tested the clubs with 20 shots with each club, I hit batches of 3 shots with each club (alternating the order I hit them to allow for tiredness or other factors to come into play) and allowed to shots to be dropped per club for full on mishits (its indoors and I'm easily distracted!).

photo2.jpg

So In the pictures to follow please remember – Red = Adams Hybrid, Yellow = Crossover and Green = Ping 4 Iron

Accuracy – I don't hit to many big misses, if you look at the picture below you'll see a couple of rogues in amongst the balls I hit – but mostly pretty straight.  But now look at the colours, you'll see the grouping with the Crossover and 4 Iron to be much stronger than the hybrid.  The Crossover was even straighter than the iron though, that's quite an impressive effort from Ping I reckon.

photo4.jpeg

Distance – Ok did I mention I hit it nowhere?  No smirking into your Ipad when you see the table below please!  What I would say though having taken the Crossover onto the course and used GPS is that this monitor may have the reverse of yardage jacking.

So Distance for the Crossover was longer than both Hybrid and 4 Iron; quick everyone rush out and buy one.  That's all a bit simplistic though isn't it?  Ive included for my shame the table below setting out the statistics.

On the day I certainly didn't feel my swing was grooved, the swing path suggests I wasn't at my best, but hang on let's look along the stats and ignore the yardage a little bit.  The vertical launch was actually a bit higher for the Crossover than I thought it would be – I'd guessed at head high when first swinging it, but no it was nicely in between a Hybrid and a long iron.

The spin was also a smidge higher than I'd have guessed, down on the hybrid but still 300rpm on the 4 Iron.

So what we see here, at least on the range, is a club that was straight for me and going a bit longer than a 21.5 degree hybrid.

photo3.jpg

Forgiveness – alright scan back up to the dispersion picture – now look at the one yellow blob that's miles back from the rest.  I hit 3 rank awful shots with the Crossover and had to leave that one in, to be fair the other two were similar.  You can feel that this club has borrowed tech from hybrids and woods because if you miss the middle they lose a bit of distance but frankly they just aren't that awful.  I'll come back to this though in course testing.

Control – So let's be fair, I can move a driver both ways but my ability to genuinely work a ball seem to be behind me.  That said, on a normal range I tried hitting the Crossover back in the stance and punchy and it worked pretty well, but went a bit higher than a true low into the wind shot that I might have played in the past with a Long Iron.

Range Score: (17 Out of 20 points)

So I've been using the Crossover for a few weeks now on the course and it's been regularly used for those holes where being on the cut stuff outweighs overall distance.  Mostly Par 4's measuring under 375 yards which feature trouble at driver distances (sand, water, trees etc).  So mostly off the tee, but also on fewer occasions from the fairway or semi when I want to hit a shot which pitches and runs up to a green.

So far so good on the accuracy front, hardly missed a fairway and when I did its only just and didn't lead to any problems.  It seems so far to be a very very straight club.

In terms of distance, and as I said in the range section, I've got GPS proof that its gone around 200 yards a couple of times and on average I'd say the ones that are flush are between 190 and 200.  The ones that don't come out of the screws have been 170ish.  Couple of days ago playing a short Par 4 my friend hit Driver out of the heel, the Crossover rolled past it happily to leave me a Wedge in (he was not amused). 

Probably the bit that's most reassuring so far is that I'm picturing shots with the Crossover and then hitting them; it's a confidence inspiring club.

Going back to a previous point, so far I've not really looked to do anything adventurous with the flight of the ball – I get the feeling its technology will hinder shaping for many (and that includes me)

Off the Deck:  I'm not as confident with the Crossover from the deck, I need to hit more shots I reckon but the instant reaction on setting up from the floor currently is not 100% relaxed.

I'm being tough on the scoring here; just because I'm not sure of the flexibility of the ground and because workability is a bit limited.

Course Score: ( 15 Out of 20 points)

Performance Notes

So far so good then, the clubs been working well and both head and shaft seem to suit me.

My bag is sat in the garage with the Crossover in it, my 4 Iron is not.  So I've put the Crossover into play and kept my Adams XTD 21.5 hybrid in the bag as well.  A lot of players have dumped their 4 Iron of late for a hybrid (sensible people) – to those of you who haven't you might like to try the Crossover out.  In fact I can see me using the Crossover from the tee quite a lot and then using hybrids from elsewhere – I just think they'll be softer landing.

Also what a joy to have a club in the bag with no adjustability!  It's a simple club really and that is a very good thing.

Is there anything I'd like to change about the club?  Well I'm still unconvinced about the head cover!  But currently all that would improve it for me would be to trim just a little of the extra size from the back of the club – but would it be as easy to hit then?

picture10.jpg

Subjective

Looks

Ok it's not a small club, I've said it – Mizuno lovers move along now, you won't like the top line etc.  But, humour me for a second please:  it doesn't feel that big when you stand over it, if you carry a Hybrid then frankly it's not as big as that and it actually looks pretty good to me (mind you I once gamed a Nike Drone putter so maybe you don't trust my judgement).

crossover (2).png

So who remembers the Ping G15 Hybrid?  Wow that was a nasty ugly thing, I tried it – I loathed it.  It was so offset that I couldn't get it lined up and it was fugly.    I've included a picture below.  The Crossover just doesn't feel offset like the G15 (effectively its Grandad) – I didn't feel put off by the mild offset, well done Ping I think they listened hard to reviews of the G15.

G15.jpg

I like the Black colour scheme, it works for me - its subjective of course and so far the paint is lasting nicely.  Also I like to use white wooden tees which leave a small paint mark on the base perfectly which really helps me with checking alignment.

So in Summary, it does look good to me and actually beyond that it's a club I'd go and pick up in a shop on looks alone.  Yeah it's not stunning like a bladed 2 Iron and for that I mark it down – when someone makes one of those which is as easy as the Crossover then the queues will be round the block.

Looks Score: (17 Out of 20 points)

So this is my review, but at this point it would be crazy not to mention the reaction I got when I first used the Crossover on the course.  Having popped a ball 190 or so down the fairway on short Par 4 my two playing partners didn't mention the shot – but they did mention the noise.  They loved it, a lovely high pitched ‘tink' – not silly loud but conveying a good shot really nicely.  I like, I like it a lot.

So when you miss the middle, what then?  Well you know it's not flushed, but your wrist doesn't need surgery and the noise doesn't cause small children to cry. 

At its best it sounds great, and its worst (my worst really) it's still pretty good.

Sound and Feel Score: (18 Out of 20 points)

Likelihood of Purchase

So I reckon the Crossover is a hit for me, the price is not cheap of course – it's a Ping club and they don't give them away.  But, if I didn't have a Crossover (thanks Ping and MGS) I would be heading to the shop and giving it some serious thought to dropping the credit card on the counter.  Not a 100% sure fire, because I'm not sure it's definitely in the bag on really soft courses but perhaps 95% that I'd pick one up.

LOP Score: (17 Out of 20 points)

Subjective Notes

Clubs that fill this space in the set aren't often the sexiest in the bag are they?  How many times do you hear people talking about their sexy new hybrid or 4 Iron?  Drivers, wedges and putters account for the most banter on a course – clubs like the Crossover probably won't change that – it probably deserves to.  It looks and sounds good; sexier than a heavy 4 iron any day for me!

Other Stuff

I'm guessing many of you won't be familiar with Ping shafts, if you are feel free to ignore this extra information.  So, my Crossover comes fitted with a Ping Alta Shaft in a Stiff Flex.  I've tried quite a few Ping clubs of late and have found their stock shafts to be effective tools.  The Alta shaft fitted is a good fit for me, quite light but not silly long and whippy (technical stuff here from me I know).

So before rushing to try any 3rd party shafts do try the Ping ones, for those of you swinging it fast try the Tour 90 you may well find it's the option.

picture6.jpg

You've got this far, well done, you know I like the Crossover.  I've found that the Crossover rewards a decent swing with good distance and a straight shot – wow I hear you say surely all clubs do that?  Well yes they do, but miss your swing by a few % and most long clubs bite back – hybrids go left, irons go very short; the Crossover just doesn't feel like it punishes you in the same way.

Crikey Westy, if it's that good why on earth haven't you given it a few more points?  Firstly I don't rush to praise anything too much (we've all had that club that was amazing for 6 weeks then just isn't) and secondly I'm still a bit unsure of the Crossover from certain lies and on damp courses.

Range:                        17

Course:                       15

Looks:                         17       

Sound and Feel:         18

LOP:                           17

Total Score:               84 out of 100

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Here we go, Stage 3 of my review on the Ping Crossover. I've had it for a summer, so what are my thoughts after the new club buzz has worn off?

1. Ok it's in my bag, it will stay in my bag to. I'm hitting the Crossover between 2 and 5 time a round off the tee, more than I ever did with a Hybrid or FW Wood. It's become my solid fairway finder, if the holes narrow and not to long - then its Crossover time.

What id say is that with the Alta shaft it suits being hit hard, if I try and nudge it down there then it goes a bit wrong. Stand there, aim right half and bang.

There is a proviso, I suspect once the Autumn (Fall - what? Why can't Americans say Autumn? Moving on) hits and things get softer I might use it less - maybe it'll come out for a few months? But come the spring it'll be back in the bag.

This club works for me.

2. So do I recommend this club?

I recommend that people try the Crossover, but make sure you try both the Alta Shaft and the steel option. I think faster swinger players may do better with a steel shaft, those like me sub 100mph - Graphite probably is the option.

For those who play narrow courses, hard running courses, links courses - give it a go.

Get a bit snap hooky with the hybrids off the tee? Try the crossover.

Seriously - try it on the course, not on the range so much. I found it to be ordinary on the range - but effective as anything on the course.

3. I've always liked Ping, as a putter company mainly. I played an Anser years ago - laughed at the old men with they're Eye2 irons and silly big wooden drivers. As Ping evolved I've tried more of their clubs and like the irons - but have never liked the woods or hybrids (as for their wedges? Sorry Ping, don't like them at all).

So, this is the first Ping club that isn't an iron or putter (it's kind of not an iron and not a hybrid) that I've liked, it's made me want to try some of the new Woods. Feel a bit left out not having Turbulators on the Crossover!

4. So if Ping keep going with the Crossover, I hope they do, should they change anything? Well it's not great off the deck for me - maybe because I'm a picker (not a digger), so it would be nice if it was a little easier off the cut stuff.

But I'm nit picking, it's a good club and the black finish is pretty sexy - for a slightly chunky utility club. Maybe, slightly less offset would be good, but then how easy would it be to hit?

5. So what should Ping keep doing with this range?

Well, keep it Black Ping! It's a looker, for a chunky offset utility that is. Ping do this well though, although conservative compared with some companies they've now got a range of super solid and decent looking clubs. If the club evolves, great. But it's hard to see the obvious steps they'd take. Somehow I doubt Ping will add an inch to the shaft, drop the loft and make wild yardage claims.

I've enjoyed the Crossover greatly and I can't thank Ping and Mygolfspy enough for the opportunity to trial the club; I've got some tough Links golf to play over the next year and the Crossover will be a significant help in playing those courses.

If anyone has questions then feel free to PM me

Cheers

Westy

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Really interested in hearing the final reviews on this one. Obviously still a lot of time before the final testing reviews are in, but what do you guys think of the price point? It's priced as a fairway metal, which seems a little steep for an iron replacement club.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Chem,

The price point is interesting - in the UK the steel shafted version is £149 and the graphite is £189 at most stores; this will probably come down a little during the season (or a lot if they aren't selling).

For me they are inbetween Hybrid and FW price range, mind you when was the last time you saw a steel shafted hybrid or wood?

They will be worth the money if they fulfill the roll of usable off the tee and from the fairway, if not its application will be limited. But thinking back to when driving irons (anyone remember the Wilson Firestick one from the mid 90's) they became the go to club for many people off the tee.

I'm going to try when reviewing to have a look at some of the other loft options and see how they compare, the 3 crossover has 18 degree loft - that could be a summer weapon on links courses and dry fairways.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Nice first impressions!

• Strengths of my game? My main strength has always been distance my driver swing speed can touch 130 MPH with my 7 Iron running in the 105 MH range. Currently I can over power my shafts leading 

You monster!  :blink:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Nice first impressions!

You monster!  :blink:

I've seen what the man can do to a golf ball....it's kinda scary!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I've seen what the man can do to a golf ball....it's kinda scary!

130 mph definitely sounds scary… And fills me with envy! Wow – Good for you Evershady!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

It's Bubba in disguise =)

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

Hmmm it's going to be interesting to see how the stock shaft handles a swing speed like that.

First session on launch monitor today, no spoilers but very interesting (mind you I fear some laughter on swing speeds and distances!) Will put a second one in diary once I've used the club more - also on a day when my back isn't so stiff (getting excuses in early).

Then for my interest and because I'm playing a narrow course on Sunday I played a few holes and first impressions of playability off the tee are good (noise got a complement from a playing partner). 3 tee shots, 3 fairways, 3 greens in reg, not 3 birdies!

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

It's Bubba in disguise =)

Barbajo calls me the right handed Bearded Bubba.

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Great write ups so far guys! Can't wait to read the rest!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

• 3 weeks later...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Great job Shady! Were the clubs you got sent not custom?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Great job Shady! Were the clubs you got sent not custom?

They sent black dot which is standard lie. I didn't think it would be that big a deal as my swing has gotten better since I was fitted for my irons but looks like I still need quite a bit upright.  As for shaft they did give me the extra 0.25 inches I have on my irons and sent the stiffest stock shaft, but didn't upgrade to a premium shaft. Had I purchased this I would have made sure it had a heavier shaft.

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Not an official tester review -- went out and purchased a Crossover for myself, and so far ... love it!!! I'm right in their target buyer category: cannot hit long irons well and do not like short hybrids.

# Club

Got the 5 to replace 5i, with stock graphite shaft (regular). Had it shortened -1/2" (I'm only 5' 7" and hand to floor measure also short), and lie -1* flat (irons are -2* flat). Helpful guy at store also added lead tape to get swingweight back up to spec. Grip is +2 wraps.

# Fit

In retrospect the lie change may have been premature - I seem to be hitting this with a more pronounced fade vs. my irons. Also not sure about the lighter Alta 70 shaft - I may be happier with the slightly heavier AWT they offer but I was being impulsive and grabbed what they had off the rack .. instead of trying another store and demo'ing the other shaft. May take it to a fitter and have it re-checked.

# Background

The Bad: Only started playing 7 years ago - at 53 - and lost big chunks of that time to work or life (or both) exigencies. Although fitness and health are excellent, suffer from some structural issues that compromise ability to operate at 100% (severe cervical and moderate lumbar subluxations, a bit of stenosis and a bunch of arthritis; worn-out hip joints with a labrum tear on the left side - and I'm a right-handed golfer...). 

So... wish I had started playing younger so I'd be more comfortable with, and more proficient with, long irons. Love hitting irons and wedges; love the approach shots and the short game. 

The good: Realized early on I'd have to overcome size and mobility limitations with good technique. Am a "good study" and took some lessons early on, attended some short game clinics, watched videos and read books and magazines, and practiced practiced practiced. Had a coaching session recently with a friend who's a pro player and that has really helped me move up to another level in ball-striking. Try to improve each time I go out!

# Looks 

As others mentioned, it is larger and thicker vs. irons but to me most prominent at address is the face - a very noticeable large flat area. But on the proverbial other hand that provides a larger overall hitting surface, giving me a bit more confidence as not all my strikes are dead center sweet spot ;) 

# Playability

I've not been able to play a lot yet this year (stupid hip injuries, but been doing PT and feel ready) but have had success with this club...

- off the tee

- off the fairway

and, 

- out of light-to-moderate rough

For me, out of the not-really-heavy rough is a strength of this club - the wide, rounded sole gives me confidence that I won't dig the face and will be able to connect properly with the ball. I think designing anything ends up often being a compromise between competing 'optimization' factors, and for me this seems to be a great compromise between getting an iron down onto the ball and getting a hybrid through the rough.

As mentioned above a lot of my shots seem to be more a fade than I'd like or I usually hit, but then the past several weeks I've also had major bad pain in the right elbow and forearm so I'm telling myself that I just cannot roll over the right forearm thru the strike strongly enough (ha ha yeah sure....).

For distance, not sure of yardage yet as again haven't played nor practiced enough since getting it, but do know I can very comfortably hit it waaaaaay past - AND closer to intended target - vs. my 5i. 

As far as workability, I am not there yet with my swing but am starting to work on this. I feel like I will be able to use this club to hit slight fades and slight draws, which if I can start to do consistently will be very very happy with. That is, I'd use it on shorter tee shots to [try to!] hit the fairway in the intended area, and on longer approach shots where I'd feel I have a good chance of using this club to hit it onto (or very near) the green. 

# Bottom Line

If you are at all intrigued by it and like irons more than hybrids - find a store and demo it. 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

The standard lie for the Crossover is Blue Dot.  It's really important to get the correct lie as the sole is much more iron like then hybrid.  I had my adjusted down to a Purple Dot and it made a world of difference in making correct contact with the ball.  Mine's a 4, which still launches low with a draw spin and the Alta 70s is fine for swing speeds up to the 90+ mph range.  I tried the heavier upgraded shaft and didn't like it as much.  Besides the lie, just kept in mind the goofy Ping numbering:  It's a 4 Crossover hybrid, but it's really a 3 Iron in loft, launch and distance.  3 or 3i / 4h would have made more sense.  The feel and sound is nowhere near a pure as the Rapture DI, but it's way more forgiving off the face and so easy to hit well off the turf.  Definitely my favorite club and I pull it out ever chance I get.

Archived