TESTERS WANTED! ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - PING CROSSOVER

JBones

Just back from a newish links course (Nicklaus design) in Wales, the crossover came out 7 times in each round and each time it was on the fairway, around 200 yards off the tee.

Get the right shaft option and this club is a serious weapon. I'm not convinced off the deck, but frankly I don't care.

Awesome, thanks MGS and PING (my putting is awful currently - could do with trying a Ketsch!).

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from a newish links course (Nicklaus design) in Wales, the crossover came out 7 times in each round and each time it was on the fairway, around 200 yards off the tee.

Get the right shaft option and this club is a serious weapon. I'm not convinced off the deck, but frankly I don't care.

Awesome, thanks MGS and PING (my putting is awful currently - could do with trying a Ketsch!).

I've had a good amount of opportunity to use mine and this describes my experience almost to a tee. Off the deck or out of the rough haven't been a problem at all. Solid contact leads to 200 yards of high and straight ball flight time and again. I have the 5 and while I occasionally get that close to that yardage with my 5 iron, this thing is consistently longer and easier/more forgiving (to get that distance) than the 5 iron. The longer I have it the more I'm liking it! Thanks MGS and Ping!

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

^ Agree: "The longer I have it the more I'm liking it!"

Q for jrmull and westie:

Which shaft do you have?

I also have - or, had - the Alta 70 and just took it back to the store to exchange for the AWT 2.0 (stock steel; didn't splurge extra for the KBS).

I also have the 5 but was seeing my ball flight go higher and higher as I got more used to the club......

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Just got my exchange back from Ping with the new shaft - anxious to try it out!!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry cksurfdude, hadn't noticed your question. Mine is the Alta 70 S flex.

^ Agree: "The longer I have it the more I'm liking it!"

Q for jrmull and westie:

Which shaft do you have?

I also have - or, had - the Alta 70 and just took it back to the store to exchange for the AWT 2.0 (stock steel; didn't splurge extra for the KBS).

I also have the 5 but was seeing my ball flight go higher and higher as I got more used to the club......

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

Very nice looking club.........seems to be a bit of a struggle for ya'll.   I would like to see some detail follow ups after about 20 rounds in the bag.  This is an area that we all struggle with, going from iron to woods, whether it is in the 3 or 4 hybrid range or the 4 - 5 hybrid range for the Seniors.  I like my irons, down to the 4i but only have room in the bag for one hybrid and a 3W.  A club like the Ping Crossover would replace my 4i(170 yards).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I think lots of us have issues in this range as Foz wrote.  I've been following this thread with great interest.  In the end there is the combination of the relationship between what fits the eye and actual performance.  On occasion I've been able to get something that doesn't exactly fit my eye to work well and then on others not.

The cross over does not fit my eye!  Long irons don't fit my eye and neither do lofted fairway woods.  Lots of hybrids don't fit my eye either so it's a dilemma.  For right now the SLDR hybrids have huge potential in the 170-190 gap - that's very important for me as a good drive on a 400 yard hole is going to leave me in that range 90 percent of the time and the courses I play have some 400 plus yarders and also some par 3's in the 170-190 range.

Keep up the good work guys.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Very nice looking club.........seems to be a bit of a struggle for ya'll. I would like to see some detail follow ups after about 20 rounds in the bag. This is an area that we all struggle with, going from iron to woods, whether it is in the 3 or 4 hybrid range or the 4 - 5 hybrid range for the Seniors. I like my irons, down to the 4i but only have room in the bag for one hybrid and a 3W. A club like the Ping Crossover would replace my 4i(170 yards).

Have not been able to get enough play nor practice time past two weeks, and this club I guess seems to want a bit more "getting acquainted" time, but initial results are encouraging....

Didn't play that well yesterday - a lot of topped and thinned shots - so it was me and not the other clubs but did hit the Crossover well enough a few times I got to use it - including the first tee, a short Par 4, where I just wanted (needed!!) to get the ball into play (and ended up on the edge of the fairway as far away as my buddy's hooked shot with his driver [well he did top it a bit, too...]).

Oh and for me the distance is around the range Foz and Rev are looking at - between about 170 - 180/185 (trying to work on getting a few different distances out of it by gripping down in about 1/2" increments).

Oh and also: have turned into a bit of a tinkerer and have added 1/2 swingweight of lead tape to the back. The spec on the website says D0 but an email to Ping came back with 'well this can vary depending on shaft length and weight, and grip ....' Well yeah duh. Anyway I don't have a SW scale but kinda like it with a touch more "oomph"; may test out adding another 1/2 SW.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies, an enforced 2 week lay off from the Internet (Mrs Westy enforced no smart phone rule on our holiday).

So for the question: alta 70 stiff. Which works for me - but I don't have the fastest swing speed....

Stage 3 update incoming soon.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Apologies, an enforced 2 week lay off from the Internet (Mrs Westy enforced no smart phone rule on our holiday).

So for the question: alta 70 stiff. Which works for me - but I don't have the fastest swing speed....

Stage 3 update incoming soon.

Life on the forums is always better when you're around. I hope you had a great holiday. Praying for all of our friends in England during your transition.

Looking forward to stage three

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 4 weeks later...

Curious about the lack of conclusions on this club.

I have the 4 & 5.  it's hard to believe I've actually gotten use to the CRACKKK! of a well struck shot.   My pet peve is the weight port screw; they leak and let water into the club head.  My 4 went back to Ping to get fix along with a lie adjustment.  I was told to Loctite my 5 as I really didn't want to send it in.  It's just a nylon screw without a head and you could actually just keep screwing it all the way into the head and loose it.  A horrible design and I'm betting it is also at the root of the horrible sound the Crossover makes.

I have the 4 & 5. it's hard to believe I've actually gotten use to the CRACKKK! of a well struck shot. My pet peve is the weight port screw; they leak and let water into the club head. My 4 went back to Ping to get fix along with a lie adjustment. I was told to Loctite my 5 as I really didn't want to send it in. It's just a nylon screw without a head and you could actually just keep screwing it all the way into the head and loose it. A horrible design and I'm betting it is also at the root of the horrible sound the Crossover makes.

Sorry bout mine. Been out recovering from surgery. Hope to have all my thoughts compiled and ready after a couple more rounds.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Cheers Rev, want to spend more time on here - but time is very limited currently, no point complaining about work (I'm grateful to have a job!).

My stage 3 conclusion is up, check it out.

In summary, I love the club but it fills a niche in my bag - some courses, some conditions it would be dropped for an extra hybrid or fairway I think. But people should try it.

Rumour was that lots of non Ping players used one at the Open.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

I have the 4 & 5. it's hard to believe I've actually gotten use to the CRACKKK! of a well struck shot. My pet peve is the weight port screw; they leak and let water into the club head. My 4 went back to Ping to get fix along with a lie adjustment. I was told to Loctite my 5 as I really didn't want to send it in. It's just a nylon screw without a head and you could actually just keep screwing it all the way into the head and loose it. A horrible design and I'm betting it is also at the root of the horrible sound the Crossover makes.

Have the 5 and LOVE it!

Had started with the Alta 70 shaft but ended up exchanging it for the AWT 2.0 steel (lower the ball flight a bit).

Very happy with that choice but now ... Saw a deal on eBay on one with a SteelFiber i80 shaft ... Just can't stop experimenting!!!

Also picked up a like new 3 Crossover pretty cheap, with the Alta 70 on it, as a possible hybrid replacement.

Will post again after I've had some time to range test and play them.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

My stage 2 and 3 are up.

Thanks to Ping and MGS for giving me a chance to do a review.

I'm gonna have to find a 3 crossover and try it out and see if it'll be what I'm looking for to fill a need.

Hope you guys like the reviews. Let me know if you have any questions.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

• 2 weeks later...

Any report on that SteelFiber shaft?

Not yet, will be working on it!

Quick initial impression is that it definitely does what it's designed to do: have a feel and provide feedback somewhere in-between graphite and steel; ie. smooth load and response but firmer, not whippy, and doesn't .. umm .. "vibrate" (stuck on the right descriptor here) like steel can sometimes...

Haven't played it enough yet to fully compare my ball flights with each and decide if it tightens (or worsens..) my accuracy / dispersion (vs. the steel AWT 2.0).

Been focusing on preparing for an outing so have kind of put the new stuff aside for now...

Except for the driver - have taken that out of the garage and out to the range and to the course and .. happily .. we seem to be willing to work together to get the ball off the tee and down the fairway (well, at least two out three which is very acceptable to me right now!).

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Been using this club in more creative ways with positive results. Mainly on short shots under trees, able to keep it low with decent pop. And on lil chip shots around the green where putting isn't an option.

The more uses I can find for this club the better its chances of getting into the bag more often. One trick ponies I don't need.

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

Archived