Seef824

3 Hybrid Vs 5Wood

Our Sponsors

I would like to get some of your feedback on which is better for your bag, a 3 Hybrid or 5 Wood.  I currently game a Adams Red 3H and I do not hit it particularly well.  I love my 4H which is a Nike Covert 2.0, so I thought I would like a 3H.  I don't actually get that much extra distance in my 3H compared to my 4H.  I had a steel head Big Bertha 5W in my old set and hit it pretty well. What are your guys' thoughts?  Are there benefits one way or the other for each?

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G30 SFTech Stiff Flex

3W: Cobra F9, Atmos TS Blue 7S

5W: Cobra F6

4H: Cobra F7 4-5H 22* Stiff Flex

5-PW: Taylormade RSI TP +1/2", 2* Upright, Stiff Flex (DG S400)

50, 54: Titleist Vokey SM6 Steel Grey, F-Grind/M-Grind

What about your 4 iron?

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

I play a 3 hybrid over a 5 wood. My 3 hybrid is a 20 degree vs a typical 5 wood of 19 degree. For me I choose 3 hybrid because a 5 wood to me looks like I am going to hit it straight up in the air. I see too much of the face. The smaller profile of the 3 hybrid is better fo rmy eye. The 5 wood will launch higher and land softer than my 3 hybrid. It just doesnt look right. Just like I would love a 4 hybrid but I experience the same issue. 24 degrees on my hybrid is just way too much. Looks like a pop up waiting to happen

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

I carry a 2h and 4h, mostly because I have never been able to consistently hit any fairway wood well.  I find hybrids much easier to hit.

• Like 1

Driver:   :honma: TR20 10.5*

Utility Iron: :cleveland-small: UHX 18*

Hybrid:   :callaway-small: Epic 4h 23* 

Irons:    :mizuno-small: JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER 2.2

Ball:   :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS

Hckymeyer's answer is the correct one.  No one here can answer the question for you - he's given you the key to find the answer for yourself. 

There is a reason why there are long irons, fairway woods and hybrids that all go approximately the same distance - they get there a bit differently and react better to different swing types. 

So you need to figure out which one you can hit acceptably 80 percent plus of the time (acceptably does not mean on the green from 200 yards - it means within a radius that leaves you in a safe spot for your next shot).  If it's two of those three options then you might consider the normal course conditions that you face and your own personal preferences.  A 2 iron would be a great option in windy firm conditions particularly off the tee.  The 5 wood flies higher, carries farther and stops quicker but is effected more by the wind - what do you normally play in.  The hybrid is in between but sometimes people struggle with hybrids particularly less lofted ones because they try and hit them like woods rather than like irons.

Just follow that 80 percent rule (acceptable result for your ability 80 percent of the time) and you will be fine.  Good luck!

• Like 3

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Thank you all for the responses!  I appreciate your advice.  I will take my time when evaluating the 3H vs 5W.  I have a demo day at one of my local courses, so that will give me an opportunity to try out a couple different clubs.

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G30 SFTech Stiff Flex

3W: Cobra F9, Atmos TS Blue 7S

5W: Cobra F6

4H: Cobra F7 4-5H 22* Stiff Flex

5-PW: Taylormade RSI TP +1/2", 2* Upright, Stiff Flex (DG S400)

50, 54: Titleist Vokey SM6 Steel Grey, F-Grind/M-Grind

Thank you all for the responses!  I appreciate your advice.  I will take my time when evaluating the 3H vs 5W.  I have a demo day at one of my local courses, so that will give me an opportunity to try out a couple different clubs.

One other way think about it is to pick the yardage you want to fill.  Then start demoing clubs to figure out which one goes that yardage.  Just because you hit 4H well and want something a little longer doesn't automatically mean that 3H is the answer.  Like Rev pointed out it could be a long iron, hybrid or wood.  

FWIW after following the 80% for my own bag I ended up with 4 hybrids, 4 irons, and 4 wedges.  Then putter and driver for 14 clubs.  I realized longer woods off the deck were getting my in trouble more often than they were getting me out of trouble.  I just played around until I found the clubs that confidently get me the yardages I wanted.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

You should ask yourself 2 questions when putting a club in your bag.

1. Can I hit it reasonably well 80% of the time.

2. Will it help me shoot lower scores.

If the answer to either of those is No then it shouldn't be in there. Either replace it with something else that fits a gap better, is more forgiving, or practice until you can hit it well 8 out of 10 shots.

As for 3 hybrid vs 5 wood - Which fills your gap and gives you confidence you can hit it well? That's your answer.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I can't hit any club reasonably well 80% of the time lol

• Like 6

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I can't hit any club reasonably well 80% of the time lol

Hahahahaha :D

It also depends what you use them for. I would never attempt to approach a green with my 3W or 3H, they are just distance clubs for me. My limit is at 200 yards and I would go for it with my 4i.

• Like 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Hahahahaha :D

It also depends what you use them for. I would never attempt to approach a green with my 3W or 3H, they are just distance clubs for me. My limit is at 200 yards and I would go for it with my 4i.

My limit is 200y as well, because that is about the limit of anything in my bag.  But that doesn't stop me from going for the green.  Unless there is major trouble, I am going to get as close as I can.  If there is a bailout area, I'm going for that.  The closer the better.

As for the longer clubs, early this year I had a 4W (17*), 7W (24*), 3H (19*), and 5H (25*)... no 4i.  I hit the 4W OK if I had a perfect lie, but I found that the perfect lie didn't happen all that much and I was probably a little below the 80% rule.  My next longest club is the 3H; that's my go to long club and it isn't all that much shorter than the 4W anyway.  The 7W flies higher than either hybrid and it fits the gap between the 3H and 5H.  I hit most everything straight, but I like the feel of the heavier shafted hybrids better than the FW.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

For me the answer was ditching hybrids altogether and going with a fairway wood. I've tried off and on in years past to "make a hybrid work" for me. I think I have 4 of them laying around. For what ever reason they never really fit my swing and playing goals. Now I play a Wishon 929HS-4 16.5* fairway metal and love it. This club fits my game well. I've found I can play any course with it in my bag.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have two hybrids i rotate depending on the distance I need and a 3W.  I will use them as a distance club or a scoring club.  The key is finding the distance you are looking to fill and what club can you hit consistently to that distance.  There are different variables that go into the hybrid or wood itself as well.  You may not hit every hybrid or wood the same depending on shape or the shaft.  Trial and error is the best way to find out.  Unfortunately it is usually the most expensive and can take the most time.    

Bag: :ping-small:  Hoofer Vantage

Driver: :ping-small:  G25 10.5 Aldila NV 65 S

3 Wood:   :cobra-small:  Fly Z+ 3 Wood 13.5*

Rescue: :adams-small:  XTD ti 18* set to 17* or  :adams-small: Pro 23* 

Irons: :callaway-small:  Apex Pro 4-PW, KBS Tour S, Standard Length and Loft, 2* flat, 

Wedges: :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 50* bent to 51*, KBS Tour S

:vokey-small: Spin Milled 56* bent to 55*

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 60* U grind KBS Tour S

Putter: :cameron-small: Futura X5 MOTO

Grips: PURE DTX Green

My limit is 200y as well, because that is about the limit of anything in my bag. But that doesn't stop me from going for the green. Unless there is major trouble, I am going to get as close as I can. If there is a bailout area, I'm going for that. The closer the better.

That's what I meant, you explained it better :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Play what works for you and as others have said there is no right answer.  I play a 2 hybrid and 4 hybrid since that is what works for me.  I have never even owned a 5 wood in my life and maybe have hit one three or four times total.  Why?  I don't hit fairway woods all that well and have not found one that I like the looks of that would give me confidence.  

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

2i for me in place of either of those  B)

Mostly bc either of those would end up somewhere 2 holes over every third swing. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

2i for me in place of either of those  B)

Mostly bc either of those would end up somewhere 2 holes over every third swing. 

Love the 2 iron.  Especially if I need to hit something low right under a golf cart.

• Like 5

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

Love the 2 iron. Especially if I need to hit something low right under a golf cart.

Lol that's when I take out the 1i with the ctaper. Play it back in your stance and it's worm burners and tiger stingers all day.

Sent from my LG-AS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

Like Hcky and Rev said it is what ever you feel confident in and can hit. Personally I have never liked Hybrids can not hit them. I had also gotten where I was in trouble with lower lofted fairway woods. The only fairway I carry now is one Ugly Adams 18* 5 wood I can hit it high and straight. But to complicate matters I am like Undershooter I also carry a 2 and 3 iron. With my quirky game I hit the 2 iron better off a tee on a tight par 4 than I do the 5 wood and hit it better than the 5 wood on a tight lie. I have a tendency with a fairway wood off a tight lie to either top it or snap hook it. But you can not go by me my game is strange any how

• Like 1

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

All good answers here, keep us updated with what you end up with!

Personally I found out that I hit the 2014 big bertha 3 and 5 wood really well, I love their look, sound and feel, etc I scooped up 2 more heads of each. theyre the 260-270's and 240-250s clubs when I need to hit a fairway or have hit too many drives O.B. I'm not accurate enough to hit all par 5s in two, but I'd rather be left or right of the green and be within 70 yards

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Rogue 9*, UST chrome 7F5T 

Fairway:     :taylormade-small: M5 3 wood, UST chrome 7F5T

Irons:        :titelist-small: TMB 3i &  :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     :titelist-small: Voke SM7 LTD Jet Black 

Putter:       :bettinardi-small: Queen Bee #9

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV