Our Sponsors

I can't hit any club reasonably well 80% of the time lol

I know that you are kidding and it got a chuckle from me.

If it were true the player in that position would either need to re evaluate his i0 percent area or work on his game via lessons and practice. Probably both.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Again, thank you for all of your feedback!  I had a successful day at the Demo at my local course.  Taylormade, Ping and Cobra were on hand, and I was able to swing the M1 5W, M2 3H, G Series 5W and 3H and F6 5W and 3H.  I have never swung a cobra club before, but I was pleased with them.  I did not hit the TM clubs great, but I really liked the Cobra and Ping.  To me it felt like the ball popped off the face better on the ping and the cobra and I was able to shape them a little more than the Taylormades.  I found a really good deal on a Cobra 5W, so I ordered one.  It is sitting on my door step, I have league tonight so I probably wont try it today.

For a comparison between the 5W and 3H:

As a whole I was able to get the 5W in the air a lot easier and it was landing a lot softer which will help attacking greens.  I also got an extra 10-15 yards with the 5W compared to the 3H.  I could occasionally get the 3H close to the 5W, but the 5W consistently worked better for me.  Each rep at the demo agreed that the 5W would suit me better.  Given the times I would need to use a 5W or 3H I think the flight of the wood is going to work better.  I do not need the lower ball flight and roll out that comes with the hybrid.

• Like 3
Driver: Ping G30 SFTech Stiff Flex

3W: Cobra F9, Atmos TS Blue 7S

5W: Cobra F6

4H: Cobra F7 4-5H 22* Stiff Flex

5-PW: Taylormade RSI TP +1/2", 2* Upright, Stiff Flex (DG S400)

50, 54: Titleist Vokey SM6 Steel Grey, F-Grind/M-Grind

You should ask yourself 2 questions when putting a club in your bag.

1. Can I hit it reasonably well 80% of the time.

2. Will it help me shoot lower scores.

If the answer to either of those is No then it shouldn't be in there. Either replace it with something else that fits a gap better, is more forgiving, or practice until you can hit it well 8 out of 10 shots.

As for 3 hybrid vs 5 wood - Which fills your gap and gives you confidence you can hit it well? That's your answer.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That is exactly why I hit my 5w over my 3w about 98% of the time. Just more confidence and greater distance. 3w is pulled from the bag and is replaced with a new 54 Wilson pmp wedge to fill the gap at the bottom of the bag!

I've got 2H, 3H, 4H & even a 5H laying around somewhere. I also have an old Callaway Diablo 4W that makes its way in & out of the bag. When I'm playing well, the 2H and/or 3H could be in play. The 4H is always in the bag. Sometimes depends on the course, sometimes on how bad I'm sucking that week/month. It's a never ending death spiral, LOLZ

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

:bridgestone-small:  JGR 9.5*  Driver Graphite Design AD DI-6x 
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - AW)  KBS Tour 130x

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Wedges (54, 58)
MATI Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

Agree with all the comments about what works for you and what gives you more confidence...

For me it's hybrids. I'll give up distance to feel more confident at address - in any lie, "fair" or rough - and feel like I am able to contact and hit the ball towards my target...

Seef824:

Was going to suggest also looking at the Ping Crossover (I have a 5) but too late for that ... good luck with the new toy!!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

I got my first range session with the 5W and am really pleased with it.  It was so easy and effortless to get the ball in the air and travel consistent distances (230-240ish) with consistent ball flight.  I compared with with my 3H in my bag and while I had some really nice shots, it was not nearly as consistent.  I think the 5W is here to stay.  Even on mishits off the toe the ball still traveled 90% of the distance with a similar shape.  That same shot with my hybrid would sacrifice quite a bit of distance.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first range session with the 5W and am really pleased with it.  It was so easy and effortless to get the ball in the air and travel consistent distances (230-240ish) with consistent ball flight.  I compared with with my 3H in my bag and while I had some really nice shots, it was not nearly as consistent.  I think the 5W is here to stay.  Even on mishits off the toe the ball still traveled 90% of the distance with a similar shape.  That same shot with my hybrid would sacrifice quite a bit of distance.

How is the 5WD out of tough lies? I dropped my 5WD and put a 17 degree 2H in its place. I don't get quite as much distance with it but I really like the versatility that it provides when I have a sketchy lie or just need to put the ball in the fairway.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash 9° w/ Project X Evenflow 6.0

3wd: :callaway-small: XR Pro 14° w/ Project X LZ 6.0

2h: :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 815 17° w/ Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

4h: :callaway-small: XR Pro 23 w/ Project X LZ 6.0

5i - PW: PXG 0311T w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges: :callaway-small: MD3 50°, Titleist SM6 54° and 60°

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

How is the 5WD out of tough lies? I dropped my 5WD and put a 17 degree 2H in its place. I don't get quite as much distance with it but I really like the versatility that it provides when I have a sketchy lie or just need to put the ball in the fairway.

I have not had very many tough lies with this club yet.  I have mostly been using it off the tee on some of the ultra-short par 4s (we have a par 4 during league that is 240yds) or when I need to hit one straight or even a draw.  There a few times where I used it to try and reach a par 5 and a couple of them were from the rough.  I have not had a lie that I would consider really bad yet.  But hitting out of rough is not a problem with the 5W.  For me it is easier to get the ball out of the rough than my hybrid used to be.  On one occasion I actually got under the ball a little too much from the rough and it came out a lot higher and shorter than I would have liked.  Other than that I do not regret swapping clubs one bit.  I still have my 4 hybrid if I felt I needed a hybrid and to close out my gaps.

Cool, it sounds like you made the right choice then. I suppose you can always use the 4h in the cases where you need something that still requires a hybrid. What model hybrid did you pull and what model 5wd did you put back in the bag?

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash 9° w/ Project X Evenflow 6.0

3wd: :callaway-small: XR Pro 14° w/ Project X LZ 6.0

2h: :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 815 17° w/ Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

4h: :callaway-small: XR Pro 23 w/ Project X LZ 6.0

5i - PW: PXG 0311T w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges: :callaway-small: MD3 50°, Titleist SM6 54° and 60°

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Exactly, I still use my 4H a fair amount.  I pulled out an Adams Red 3H and put in a Cobra Bio Cell 5W.  I don't think the Adams Red was the best choice for me if I'm being honest.  When I went to the demo days a couple weeks ago I was hitting the Cobra F6 hybrid and Ping G hybrid better than my Adams.  

I put a 5w in the bag for the first time ever, over a 2hy and 3w. The answer for me was simple, I needed more height to cut the corner on a par 5 at my home course and for softer landings into long par 5s. It works perfectly for that.

Found something funny last week in the scrap pile at work. I actually spotted it and pulled it because it had a Pro Launch blue shaft in it. It looks like a 22* 7 wood but that is a hybrid shaft in it. Had a pretty good Lamkin wrap grip on it. It states it is a 22* on the bottom and checks out at that. It had some kind of funky decal on the top and I sprayed it down and took it off and there is a Cleveland type emblem embossed on the crown. But it does not say anything about Cleveland on the sole. The sole has tungsten weights in it and is shaped like an old Cobra Baffler or TM Tour Cleek hybrid. It had good balance. I threw it in the bag to test it out last Sunday after church. Ended up playing with a Doctor (MD) friend of mine and a couple of his associates. We just play for fun. Ended up on the second hole pulling that thing and hitting it off the tee for kicks and giggles and that stupid thing hit good I smoked it. Did not hit it any more that day because we only played 9 holes and I did not have a shot that called for it.

Took it out on the range this morning and after loosing up I hit it man does it soar high and drop soft. I tried it off different lies and it performs. Does real well out of the high grass beside the range and off tight or bare lies. Even does good off a lie in a divot. Damndest club I have ever seen. I believe it may stay in the bag It seems to be a very versitile club

Like I said it has a Cleveland Golf type marking on the crown but I think it is phony

The sole is marked Emerald Collection 22* dual rail and it does have weights in the rails and in the back. I have never seen a Cleveland club like it. That shaft is a Pro Launch Blue HY series Launch Tuned Hybrid

Anything you guys know on this is welcomed. If it is a clone or forgery whome ever put it together did a great job because it is balanced perfectly for me and I did not need to add any lead tape (which is very unusual) for me to get a feel for it

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

Found something funny last week in the scrap pile at work. I actually spotted it and pulled it because it had a Pro Launch blue shaft in it. It looks like a 22* 7 wood but that is a hybrid shaft in it. Had a pretty good Lamkin wrap grip on it. It states it is a 22* on the bottom and checks out at that. It had some kind of funky decal on the top and I sprayed it down and took it off and there is a Cleveland type emblem embossed on the crown. But it does not say anything about Cleveland on the sole. The sole has tungsten weights in it and is shaped like an old Cobra Baffler or TM Tour Cleek hybrid. It had good balance. I threw it in the bag to test it out last Sunday after church. Ended up playing with a Doctor (MD) friend of mine and a couple of his associates. We just play for fun. Ended up on the second hole pulling that thing and hitting it off the tee for kicks and giggles and that stupid thing hit good I smoked it. Did not hit it any more that day because we only played 9 holes and I did not have a shot that called for it.

Took it out on the range this morning and after loosing up I hit it man does it soar high and drop soft. I tried it off different lies and it performs. Does real well out of the high grass beside the range and off tight or bare lies. Even does good off a lie in a divot. Damndest club I have ever seen. I believe it may stay in the bag It seems to be a very versitile club

Like I said it has a Cleveland Golf type marking on the crown but I think it is phony

The sole is marked Emerald Collection 22* dual rail and it does have weights in the rails and in the back. I have never seen a Cleveland club like it. That shaft is a Pro Launch Blue HY series Launch Tuned Hybrid

Anything you guys know on this is welcomed. If it is a clone or forgery whome ever put it together did a great job because it is balanced perfectly for me and I did not need to add any lead tape (which is very unusual) for me to get a feel for it

Is this the one?

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

I currently play a 3 hybrid in my bag, but I did use a 5 wood in the past. However, I'm a strong iron player, so I found a hybrid easier to strike well than a 5 wood. It depends on how well/badly you strike both of the clubs, and from what you have posted, it's obviously the 5 wood that's better for you.

Driver (main): Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

Driver (back-up): Titliest 915 D3 (9.5) with Fujikura Speeder Shaft 757 (Tour Stiff)

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: PING i200 4-PW in XP 95 shafts with S300 flex (+ 3 iron)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1X, Srixon Z-Star ZV & Taylormade TP5X