TESTERS WANTED! ×

Snell vs Vice vs Bridgestone vs Callaway golf balls?

mjkladis

"Anticipation.............is making me wait".......great line by Carly Simon.

I'm sorry guys! I have a review written down and ready to type up but life has gotten in the way at the moment! All good things though!

-Your Average Golfer

Yes I would like to read this. Ive been playing the Chrome Soft so far this season and was looking at some others. 

Thanks.

Cobra F7 10.5
2015 XR Deep 3 Wood 14* - Project X LZ 70 Red
Callaway Apex Pro Irons 6-PW C Taper 120 Stiff- Up 2.
Hogan FTW Hi 24,27 KBS Tour V Steel Stiff
Wedges:Callaway Mack Daddy 52 & 60
Putter:Rife Legend 2 bar 34"
Right Handed.
Richmond VA area (Moseley).
5.8USGA Handicap

I bought a dozen Snell balls about 3 weeks ago.  I gave away a couple of sleeves to buddies and fooled around with one.  Yesterday, I put the Snell ball in play instead of the Pro V1X I've been using for years, and I really liked the Snell ball.  

The Snell ball felt noticeably softer, which I loved.  The Snell ball went as far or further than the V1X, and spun enough for me, probably a little more than the V1X.  The Snell ball did seem the scuff noticeably (not unplayable, but noticeable) a couple of times, which surprised me since I'm not really used to seeing balls get scuffed anymore.  Overall, I was very happy with the ball, and I had an e-mail from Snell on a Memorial Day Sale this weekend and picked up 6 dozen today for $158. For the price, I am a Snell ball fan at least for the next 72 balls.  

Haven't been a huge fan of the feel of the super soft golf ball trend.  I dislike hitting marshmallows.

I have been playing the Snell MTB since early last season though and I love it.  It's a ball I put on par with any other tour level ball out there, then when you factor in the cost comparison it's a no brainer.  

I just found a Vice Pro Plus on the course last round so I'll probably test that out for a hole or two, but I have no plans on switching right now.  Might have a little to do with the 8 dozen Snells in my office though :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm in the middle of house buying so that's why the review isn't up yet but I've enjoyed the Snell MTB a lot. It was right on par with the Chromesoft which I've been gaming with for a while.

-Your Average Golfer

I gave a sleeve of Smell MTB's to one of my golf buddies today. He was totally amazed.....he is a 7 Hcp and really liked the feel and performance ....guess I could sell him a couple dozen....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Okay guys! I have finally come around to posting my comparison review of the Snell MTB, Vice Pro, Bridgestone B330RX and the Callaway Chromesoft golf balls.

I reviewed these golf balls during one round of golf. I made sure that each ball had a chance at as many situations as I possibly could put them into for 18 holes. I will tell you my thoughts about each ball through several categories: look/feel, off the tee, long approach, short approach, putting and durability. This is my very first review so please let me know if you think I left something out or if there is more information that you would like to know.

First up, Snell My Tour Ball (MTB ).

Look/Feel: Out of the box, the Snell MTB ball felt really good. It definitely felt like a more expensive golf ball but with a very solid price point. I could tell this ball had some commonality with the ProV1 and Tour Preferred golf balls. The print on the MTB was average to every other golf which was no surprise.

Off the tee: I felt like this ball was just right in terms of feel off the face. It didn't feel like a marshmallow but it wasn't a rich either. It was a very nice, compressed feeling. The spin wasn't bad on this ball which helped it stay in the fairway. I lost one of these off a mishit drive and that really made me sad. Not because it was an expensive ball, but because it was just working well for me during that round.

Long Approach: That same feeling from the tee showed up on the long approach shots and par 5s. This ball just felt right with my swing. I am not sure if I was feeling good that day but this ball would take off and land softly without much role which gave me a lot of confidence to go for the green from far out (150+ yards out).

Short Approach: MTB absolutely shined in this category. This ball was very predictable on close approach shots. I usually don't get a ball to spin back at all but this ball would check up nicely with my wedges. Chips, pitches, bump and runs were mostly (I've been working on my short game) right where I wanted them on the greens.

Putting: The Snell MTB felt pretty good around the greens. Still had that “just right” feel off the putter face that I got used to very easily.

Durability: Besides one flying into the woods, this ball held up very well. It's nice playing a lower priced, Urethane cover golf ball that can easily hold it's own against the competition. Snell has a winner on their hands.

Next up, Vice Pro:

Looks and Feel: Before I get to the golf ball, whoever is the package designer for Vice, you deserve a freaking raise! I'm loving the Vice style a lot but I guess that comes with being a Millennial. The logo looks like they wanted to mimic Titleist with some flare which works for me. This alignment aid was a bold black line with “Pro” in the middle, nice touch. The Pro Urethane cover felt really grippy. I just knew this ball was going to dominate around the green.

Off the tee: The first shot with the driver really surprised me. This ball really felt like a smacked a marshmallow off the tee. There was no apparent loss of distance but it was just a weird feeling to me. This could have easily been my swing but this ball seemed to spin a lot more than any other ball I tried (maybe it's that cover?).

Long Approach: I was confident with the Snell MTB and the Pro was right there with it. Same flight and trajectory that I absolutely love seeing from any golf ball.

Short Approach: IT WENT BACKWARDS! I have never had a golf ball do that before! The Vice Pro wasn't as predictable as the MTB but it was fun to try and show off a little around the greens. That Urethane cover was really nice to have as I got closer to the green. If someone really didn't care a lot about the long ball but wanted a golf ball that just stuck to the greens, I would recommend this ball. There was one big problem with this grippy cover though which I will talk about in the durability section.

Putting: Once again, this thing was super soft off the putter face. It was a nice feeling but not something that really helped my putting. I usually leave putts short and this ball just needed a more than any of the others.

Durability: Vice, the Pro was great but you guys need to watch the quality of the cover little harder. The cover stained very easily and it would stay that was no matter how much cleaning I would do. I also to a chunk of the cover off with a strike from my wedge. I'm not sure if I caught a rock or if it was my wedge (Vokey SM5 F Grind 48*) but I have never done this to a golf ball before. That was pretty disappointing to me.

Next up, Bridgestone B330RX.

Looks/Feel: I have always liked the look of Bridgestone golf balls and this one was no different. It just makes me feel like it was really engineered to perform well. This new cover they are promoting was basically the exact opposite of the Vice Pro. The B330RX was glossy and slippery in my hand.

Off the tee: The feel in the hand really shows on drives. This thing wasn't soft but it wasn't harsh as well. Could I get used to this feeling? Absolutely. The ball flight was straight as an arrow and LONG. I had a short par 4 drive and carried it right up to the green which was over 250 yards away (for me that's long). POW!

Long Approach: This ball continued the pattern as all the others. What was felt off the tee was the same with long approach shots. The B330RX has similar flights as all of the others but it would just roll more. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing for me and my game. This was a go-to ball for longer par 3s.

Short Approach: Where the first two balls shined, this one did not. I don't mind some roll but I just couldn't get this ball to stay on the dance floor like the others. This ball was like an energetic dog, it just wouldn't sit. I guess this why they have a B330RX-S golf ball.

Putting: I honestly enjoyed putting the B330RX a lot! Like I said early in this post, I am not a hard hitter with my putter so I like a ball that will just effortlessly roll. If I was feeling off on the greens I would easily put this ball into play.

Durability: Vice could learn a thing or two from Bridgestone in durability. I literally could have put this ball back into a sleeve and sold it as new. This ball should be the poster child for American-made quality. Great job, Bridgestone.

Finally, the Callway Chromesoft:

Looks/Feel: So I won't tried to be biased on this ball but I have always loved Callaway golf balls. Out of the sleeve this ball reminded me of the Tour iX which I loved when I first started playing. The cover had a nice high quality Urethane cover which felt great and is expected of Callaway. The print job was classic Callaway so I was happy.

Off the tee: If I closed my eyes and hit the Snell MTB and then the Chromesoft, I wouldn't have been able to tell a difference. They both have that “just right” feeling a softness when hit off the tee. Ball flight was similar to the Snell as well. It had a nice flight and seemed have a nice low-spinning flight.

Long Approach: I don't think I need to say it again but the great feeling was carried over from the tee to long approach shots. The flight was nice and the ball, once again, has a similar roll out to the Snell MTB.

Short Approach: The Chromesoft ball was my favorite for this part of my game. Just as predictable as the MTB but I was more confident with a Callaway. Maybe that's from knowing the brand longer but this ball did not disappoint me at all with wedge shots.

Putting: I think my confidence in Callaway brand golf balls showed again here because I was on fire with the Chromesoft. I felt like this ball just matched my putting perfectly. It had a softer feel than the MTB but would roll like the B330RX. That was just the perfect combination for me.

Durability: The Chromesoft's durability was good. I did get a few stains on the ball but it didn't bother me too badly thanks to the Vice Pro. The cover held up well but that's to be expected with a major golf brand.

Overall, I enjoyed all of these golf balls a lot. Even though I was disappointed with the Vice Pro, I am sure it was just a miss in quality. I will definitely try them out again but maybe for for a lower priced ball that's a little harder. Bridgestone and Callaway were both well performing golf balls but that's something we all expect from these big players in the golf ball game. Snell was my top choice out of the group. Dean Snell really did make a great golf ball that comes in at a phenomenal price point.

I say all this but this comparison is strictly based off my personal senses and my game. I do hope this helps at least one person out but I highly recommend you give all of these balls a shot. I know Vice and Snell have sample packs for a great price and some shops carry sample sleeves of Bridgestone or Callaway. So go out a try one or all of these golf balls on the course sometime. I know you won't regret it.

Lots of good feedback. I'll definitely order some Snell Balls and get my wife to pick them up when she is the US in September. Cheers

Mizuno JPX 825 4-G

Ping G25 Driver

Ping G400 Crossover 19*

Seemore Putter

Lots of good feedback. I'll definitely order some Snell Balls and get my wife to pick them up when she is the US in September. Cherers

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I was lucky enough to be drawn for the Snell Get Sum golf ball review so I will post about those as well.

-Your Average Golfer

You are finding out what everyone else is when they try the Snell MTB. It really is the perfect ball. I'm actually using the get sum ball for my practice rounds and I don't not like it. It's certainly not as good as the MTB but not half bad either

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I'm sorry I never added this to the review but here is what happened to that Vice Pro ball.

ImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1464884816.495388.jpg

I'm hoping that is was just a small issue with some of their golf balls. I like Vice and they seem to be a strong competitor to Snell and even the big manufacturers out there. I just wish their ball was more durable.

-Arkansas "Woo Pig!"

-Right handed

-16 handicap

-Nike Vapor Fly (10.5/Regular flex)

-Titleist 716 AP1 (Stiff/ Std Loft & Lie)

I'm sorry I never added this to the review but here is what happened to that Vice Pro ball.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1464884816.495388.jpg

I'm hoping that is was just a small issue with some of their golf balls. I like Vice and they seem to be a strong competitor to Snell and even the big manufacturers out there. I just wish their ball was more durable.

-Arkansas "Woo Pig!"

-Right handed

-16 handicap

When you said chunk I was thinking an actual chunk not peeling. Either way thats kind of a bummer. I wanted to try the vice pro plus, but don't really want to spend $35 on a dozen or $20 just to try one sleeve- not really interested in the other 3 that comes in their test package.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

When you said chunk I was thinking an actual chunk not peeling. Either way thats kind of a bummer. I wanted to try the vice pro plus, but don't really want to spend $35 on a dozen or $20 just to try one sleeve- not really interested in the other 3 that comes in their test package.

Sorry about that! I really should have said it peeled off a piece the cover. It was a huge surprise when I discovered that spot and I wasn't too happy about it.

-Arkansas "Woo Pig!"

-Right handed

-16 handicap

Sorry about that! I really should have said it peeled off a piece the cover. It was a huge surprise when I discovered that spot and I wasn't too happy about it.

-Arkansas "Woo Pig!"

-Right handed

-16 handicap

yeah I don't blame you, if it looked like that after a shot, hate to see it after a cart path lol.

I ordered some of their gloves, crossing my fingers

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

yeah I don't blame you, if it looked like that after a shot, hate to see it after a cart path lol.

I ordered some of their gloves, crossing my fingers

I bet the glove will be pretty nice. I don't want to dog on Vice too much. Good luck!

-Arkansas "Woo Pig!"

-Right handed

-16 handicap

• 4 weeks later...

I have played all but the smell at this point. Chrome Soft felt great off the irons but had a almost dead feel of the longer clubs hybrids and up. I didn't actually loose distance it just felt like i was going to. The Bridgestone 330s and the Vice Pro Plus and Prov1x all had similar feels throughout the set. So it came down to price at that point so I have switched to Vice Golf.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Sean - New Lenox,IL Play RH HDC 7

What's in the Bag:

Driver Callaway Great Big Bertha

Fairway Nike Vapor Fly

Hybrid Nike VR-S Covert 2 Tour

Irons/Wedges:Callaway Apex Pro 16

Volkey SM5 50/55/60 degree

Putter Benttinardi Studio B

I have played all but the smell at this point. Chrome Soft felt great off the irons but had a almost dead feel of the longer clubs hybrids and up. I didn't actually loose distance it just felt like i was going to. The Bridgestone 330s and the Vice Pro Plus and Prov1x all had similar feels throughout the set. So it came down to price at that point so I have switched to Vice Golf.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The Snell MTB is to me the perfect ball. It just does what it is supposed to do just about every time I play it. You have to try it I know you will like it

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

• 4 months later...

Im 65, need distance but need a balls that chips well and putts well. Can't really play the distance balls.

I tried them all this year and for me it came down to this order:

Vice Pro - the longest of all clubs, little harder feel than the rest but acceptable. Durability other than staining was ok.

Costco 4 piece - wow maybe a little longer than the Vice Pro, cheap, harder feel but acceptable.

Chrome Soft - great feel ball, best chipping and approach ball of the lot. Not as long as the top 2 but acceptable.

Snell MTB - like a cheaper Prov1 - ok but not for me. Wonder who makes it?

Prov1 -  all around good ball but the price is just stupid.

So I will alternate the Vice Pro and Costco next year.  I think Titleist, Callaway, etc. are in trouble as the Koreans and Taiwan ball makers have caught up with a product that is just as good in most areas at a significant cheaper price.

Titleist ball cash cow is slowing dying as reflected in their less than stunning IPO.  

Archived