TESTERS WANTED! ×

TIger & Caddy - Breaking Up?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

At the time when I did the initial part of this post - the picture of Stevie - I had no clue what was unfolding with Tiger and his comments following his final round performance. Tiger really threw Williams under the bus for some decision-making done in the final round.

"I was telling Stevie we made three mental mistakes today," he told NBC's Mark Rolfing after the round, "and the only thing it cost us is a chance to win the U.S. Open."

#TruthDigest

I'm not totally convinced that by him saying "we" he really meant both of them, but if he was Tiger needs to man-up and take blame for how poorly he swing the golf club yesterday.

Also, is it unusual for caddies to fly alone?

Since Tiger is also going at it without a swing coach, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for him to end up using local caddies at any future tournaments he competes in. Much easier for him to blame someone anonymous for his own "mental" mistakes.

A good caddy you know and trust can save you a few strokes. It isn't always an employer/employee relationship. A caddy can be pretty much a partner on the feild. Arnie used to have spirited verbal exchanges with his caddy of decades and I think that happens with other player/caddies more often than is publicized. Those caddies are often also very good golfers and if you've had one for a while, he gets to know your swing almost as well as you do. It's also not all that unusual for a caddy to travel alone when he is not needed. He does have a life of his own and a family that needs him.

The royal plural is more often used in reference to the self in the least, so I doubt he was casting blame. Tiger did look distracted and upset when he said that but I attributed it to a shared fourth place which certainly isn't a place Tiger wants to be.

Shambles

Was this the only comment where he "blamed" Stevie? I heard this comment live and did not think he was blaming Stevie at all. Based on the volume of comments about him blaming Stevie, I assumed he made a comment at a later time where he directly blamed his caddy.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't thought of it as blaming Steve either, until I read this - it would be interesting to know Tiger's "intent" with that comment.

I think Mr. Valvoline leaving will be good. I think it's the whole removing the bib before the 18th is finished thing... it seems like a disrespectful and a not-so-subtle "HERE'S MY LOGO! DO YOU SEE IT!!!" move. I emailed him about it a while ago about that... he said it was a "ritual" that he'd been doing for a long time. I asked him in a separate email if it wasn't about the "V" since the only place he doesn't do it is Augusta... and he didn't write me back.

I dislike him a lot, and I think he hurts Tiger's image, Tiger needs to find a new crowd friendly caddy.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Can't remember him saying 'we" before. From what I can remember he generally always says I did this, I did that wrong. We is a nice way of saying it's Steve's fault.

One of the jobs of a caddy is to be a verbal punching bag. People blame other people for stuff all the time. I really don't think this is a big deal.

Exactly, it's only a big deal because it's the Tiger bashing year. Anything and everything that can be thrown at the wall will stick this year. If this was any other Player/Caddie wouldn't be news at all. PERIOD!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I think Mr. Valvoline leaving will be good. I think it's the whole removing the bib before the 18th is finished thing... it seems like a disrespectful and a not-so-subtle "HERE'S MY LOGO! DO YOU SEE IT!!!" move. I emailed him about it a while ago about that... he said it was a "ritual" that he'd been doing for a long time. I asked him in a separate email if it wasn't about the "V" since the only place he doesn't do it is Augusta... and he didn't write me back.

Who did you email? Steve?

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Who did you email? Steve?

Yeah. I was pretty surprised he wrote back the first time. Not surprised when he didn't the second. I don't think I was being a d!ck, just stating the obvious- Augusta IS the only place he doesn't flash his logo.

Archived