TESTERS WANTED! ×

New vs old drivers

Justin H

With the recent run of driver testing contests (yes, I've applied for them all), I'm curious - how many of you out there play a driver more than a few generations old?

For instance, I'm playing a Cobra HS9 X. Which is about a decade old. Crazy, I know. But every time I drag it to a launch monitor, it equals or exceeds the numbers of the newer sticks. Which is all the more reason I'm curious about the current driver reviews out there, especially the Mizuno and Nike. I'd like the time to get a new one in the course and see if it's worth putting in my bag.

So, long story short, are there any other tech holdouts out there?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was gaming the Cobra Bio Cell, which is 2 yrs old.

I also have:  Powerbilt DFX(2 yrs); Cobra Fly Z+(last year); Cobra King LTD(NEW)

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I keep ending up with my Cally Razr Fit Xtreme. I think it was a 2012 driver although I didn't get it until 2014. I've tried many times to knock it out of the bag but to no avail. The closest I came were a TI SLDR 8* and an SLDR 430 9* set open to 8*. Both were stupid long but the misses tended to be awful. 

RookieBlue has tried to replace his TI Tmag LCG 2.0 or whatever it is like 50 times and not found a replacement yet. Sometimes something just works for you. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Mine is currently 13 seasons old. Yes, I've tried "newer" drivers including the latest technology with moving weights and adjustable hosels etc, but nothing beats the venerable Titleist 983K for feel or distance.

The 905T also spent a lot of bag time as the preferred driver, but if I had to choose then the 983K wins heads down. 

Mine is currently 13 seasons old. Yes, I've tried "newer" drivers including the latest technology with moving weights and adjustable hosels etc, but nothing beats the venerable Titleist 983K for feel or distance.

The 905T also spent a lot of bag time as the preferred driver, but if I had to choose then the 983K wins heads down. 

I used to love my old 905. It was a bit too spinny but gosh damn I never missed a fairway with that thing. The shaft was prolly partly to blame for the spin though. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Thanks for starting this thread because it reminds me to put in my request that MGS grab up some drivers from the past 10 years and tests them head to head.

I would love to see the results of that test.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The new ones seem to slice just as good for me as the old ones did

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Thanks for starting this thread because it reminds me to put in my request that MGS grab up some drivers from the past 10 years and tests them head to head.

Kev, I agree....that would be a great test to see...Instead of pitting all the new drivers against each other, put them against their predecessors....see how much distance/forgiveness the new tech really has

That would be very interesting. I'd like to see the HS9 X in there. I miss the good ol' Acushnet days of Cobra.

Kev, I agree....that would be a great test to see...Instead of pitting all the new drivers against each other, put them against their predecessors....see how much distance/forgiveness the new tech really has

Should've just replied to you and Kev here Judge. I would love to see a test like that. I may have to break down and pick up a newer driver eventually and conduct my own...or just keep crossing my fingers!

Maybe you'll get lucky and get that Mizuno.....I never dreamed I would have gotten so lucky w/ the WilsonStaff contest......would be cool to see you put it head to head w/ the old Cobra

Maybe you'll get lucky and get that Mizuno.....I never dreamed I would have gotten so lucky w/ the WilsonStaff contest......would be cool to see you put it head to head w/ the old Cobra

That would be nice! How's that Wilson staff set up working out for you?

Awesome......im loving them

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The new ones seem to slice just as good for me as the old ones did

Yep, me too – they can slice proof them all they want, but I bet I can still make them slice. 😜

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

I still game a TaylorMade R11 (and with the potential death of TM it is bound to skyrocket in price).

Shortened it to 44.25" and the driver is once again my favorite club to hit.

I happen to agree with Tom Wishon that driver tech is over rated. They are not making huge leaps in distance and forgiveness year over year. At best it is incremental or not at all. I still bomb my R11 past all my buddies who play the latest driver that year. If you have confidence in your driver, that is all that matters. 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Mine is also 4 years old, tried several new releases this year and there was no improvement to be seen.

If the old stuff is working, keep it!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I play the old Cleveland launcher. I have gone to the store and hit it against the latest and greatest that supposed to give me 20 more yards, but it's not so. The new drivers look prettier and have nice paint jobs but nothing amazing when it comes to performance. I have a new cobra fly z plus that someone gave me, but it's not an improvement worth a couple of hundred dollars. I'm a hard sale, in playing old Srixons i302 irons because I have not found something that just blows them out of the water. I'm looking but I just can't find them.

I play the old Cleveland launcher. I have gone to the store and hit it against the latest and greatest that supposed to give me 20 more yards, but it's not so. The new drivers look prettier and have nice paint jobs but nothing amazing when it comes to performance. I have a new cobra fly z plus that someone gave me, but it's not an improvement worth a couple of hundred dollars. I'm a hard sale, in playing old Srixons i302 irons because I have not found something that just blows them out of the water. I'm looking but I just can't find them.

Hey Uggs same here. Still play the Maxfli black dots because I could never blame the club. I am continually looking for a way to replace them. We will see if the Mizuno JPX EZ can unseat them.

Currently gaming a Ping G15 which is more than a couple of years old. Tried new drivers like the Titleist 915 D2, buy always went back to the Ping because of it's feel and sound. The ball feels great off the face when I flush it and I get good feed back when I hit it on the toe or heel. Distance wise, I got a little more out of the Titleist only because it was at full length, my Ping I had it cut down to 43 and a half. If I connect it just right on upper center of the head it gives me about the same distance as with any other new driver out there. Been looking to replace it but just haven't found the right one yet. Haven't tried the Mizuno driver yet, so I'm hoping as we all are.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I had the original Bertha, that I let my dad play, I'd like to get it side by side with the 2014 model. Now that I'm a better golfer than I was 10 years ago. It would be fun to just go to the range and let em rip

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I bought the 2014 Big Bertha from Callaway back in 2013, so the old girl's not exactly new - although newer than most of the others on this particular forum. However, this is a club that can, and will, go quite long when the need or opportunity arises. There's at least 2 or 3 times per round where I hit 300yd+ drives, and I know that she can keep up with, and beat, the current crop of drivers. The current Callaway GBB, TM M2, King Cobra and XR16 aren't as long or as low spinning as my driver. The only thing that might tempt me into buying new is the M1 with the right shaft in it, but the price would have to be right, probably around AUD$400 (roughly US$300).

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

I am still playing a Ping G25.  Not as old as some of the other drivers mentioned here.  I used to love my Titleist 905T and it was a fairway finder.  I would like to see how the Most wanted drivers of the past few years stack up against each other.  I think for me to take my G25 out of the bag right now I would want a smaller head and the right shaft combo that gave me a consistent fairway finder.  I am afraid to cut down my shaft because I don' want to change the swing weight.  But I definitely think i was more consistant back in the day when the drivers were shorter.  Better center of the face contact with always means more distance. 

Bag: :ping-small:  Hoofer Vantage

Driver: :ping-small:  G25 10.5 Aldila NV 65 S

3 Wood:   :cobra-small:  Fly Z+ 3 Wood 13.5*

Rescue: :adams-small:  XTD ti 18* set to 17* or  :adams-small: Pro 23* 

Irons: :callaway-small:  Apex Pro 4-PW, KBS Tour S, Standard Length and Loft, 2* flat, 

Wedges: :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 50* bent to 51*, KBS Tour S

:vokey-small: Spin Milled 56* bent to 55*

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 60* U grind KBS Tour S

Putter: :cameron-small: Futura X5 MOTO

Grips: PURE DTX Green

I am seriously considering buying a Wishon 919THI driver. That would be a very old driver that is new to me. I will come clean (as indicated by my earlier post) that I have become enamored of the Wishon total fitting philosophy of late. We'll see how things end up next year, but the reviews of that driver are very tempting (going back years). I especially like how people always comment on the consistency of it, which I think probably speaks more to the fitting process rather than the club itself.

I am seriously considering buying a Wishon 919THI driver. That would be a very old driver that is new to me. I will come clean (as indicated by my earlier post) that I have become enamored of the Wishon total fitting philosophy of late. We'll see how things end up next year, but the reviews of that driver are very tempting (going back years). I especially like how people always comment on the consistency of it, which I think probably speaks more to the fitting process rather than the club itself.

It's a pretty looking club, but PlaidJacket didn't have a very good experience with his.  Might want to contact him about his experience.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It's a pretty looking club, but PlaidJacket didn't have a very good experience with his.  Might want to contact him about his experience.

Thanks Kenny, will do.

I would be interested in seeing the cg locations and moi numbers for some of the older clubs and even some wood drivers. Up until last year I gamed the Cleveland Launcher 9.5*. It was unseated by the Big Bertha Alpha 10.5*.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I play a Nickent 4DX Evolver with a Grafalloy Epic shaft.  I think both came out in 2008.  I've had a hit of a few new drivers, but I don't seem to get any significant benefit.  All up (including shipping and swapping the tip) I got a 10.5, 12.5 and the Epic for about $150. My daughter is now playing the 12.5 with a reg UST V2 shaft.

I haven't had swing speed checked for years, let alone other numbers, but average about 260 with roll out. The occasional one gets out there further when the stars align.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I still game a TaylorMade R11 (and with the potential death of TM it is bound to skyrocket in price).

Shortened it to 44.25" and the driver is once again my favorite club to hit.

I happen to agree with Tom Wishon that driver tech is over rated. They are not making huge leaps in distance and forgiveness year over year. At best it is incremental or not at all. I still bomb my R11 past all my buddies who play the latest driver that year. If you have confidence in your driver, that is all that matters.

I fully agree, up until last year I was gaming a 2007 head (Integra Disuka) with a 2009 shaft (SynerG first article - may have been the first and last article of that conpany i never heard off again despite attracting a few PGA tour guys). Bought a used R1 last year just to get more loft to compensate for my slower swing speed. Paid $125 cdn (like $50 usd these days lol). For me it is long and accurate.

Will see how it Will hold up today during my fitting session with a launch monitor

Sent from my A0001 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Taylormade R1,65g Aldila RIP Phenom TP, Stiff
Fairway: Callaway FT 4 wood 16° Aldila  XVS6 "PGA Tour Only"
Hybrid: : Sonartec MD 19° Stiff Stepless steel
Irons: RSi 1 5i-AW, KBS Tour S (5.7)
Wedges: Callaway X-Tour forged 56° and Scratch 8620 60°
Putter: MannKrafted custom putter

Ugglyputters, sorry for the late response, but I agree.  I gave up golf (due to an unhealthy addiction) six years ago and traded in a mixed set of MP-60/MP-32 and Bridgestone J38 DPCs.  The only clubs I kept were my "custom" Cameron Studio Select Newport and my Cobra HS-9 X driver. 

When I picked the game back up, I kept those two clubs in the bag, and went on the prowl for a decent set of used clubs.  First I bought a set of Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl Tours, which were nice, but I was used to forged...after a year I came across a mint set of Bridgestone J38 DPCs.  I picked them up at a great price, and they feel just as good as my old set, if not better.  I just need to do a shaft upgrade eventually. The irons and the driver meet or exceed anything I've put them up against on a launch monitor, albeit in store, produced in the past two years.  

I say all this to say that while the club ***** in me wants to buy every shiny thing I come across, there is a lot to be said for the confidence you feel looking down at a club you know you can hit well.  It'll take a lot to get any of those clubs out of my bag, along with my Callaway X Hot Tour 3 wood and the original Bobby Jones Hybrid.  I am looking forward to giving the Fly-Z+ a shot, but until then, I'll keep swinging the old tried and true clubs. 

Archived