Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New vs old drivers

Justin H

I was gaming the Cobra Bio Cell, which is 2 yrs old.

I also have: Powerbilt DFX(2 yrs); Cobra Fly Z+(last year); Cobra King LTD(NEW)

What do you think about the King LTD?

-Your Average Golfer

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically the MOI etc in accordance with the rules has been maxed out for some time. Mostly what any of the companies are doing now is messing around with weight placement with regards to loft and face angle. Really they are not doing anything new that us old timers have not been doing with lead tape and or hot melt for years. Look at Callaway's Gravity Chamber there is nothing new and revolutinally there. Toney Penna did it over 40 years ago with the persimmon drivers. IMHO the best improvements are in shaft technology and the technology in tuning them. To add to Rev's suggestion I would like to take some of the older heads and put universal quick fit adaptors on the shafts and test them with newer more modern shafts compaired to the newer stuff. Also keep a roll of lead tape handy to make weight corrections. The only reason I am hitting a newer Titleist driver now is because I made a smoking hot trade on it and a Nike Vapor Pro and like the shafts in both. If I had not done that trade I would be hitting my older custom Hathaway or my older Hogan CS-5

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I played a Titleist 909 D2 for awhile, but it wasn't low spinning enough for me so I made a switch to the SLDR 430 and saw a big improvement in distance. I've flirted with the Callaway BB Alpha 815 for more forgiveness, but I keep going back to my SLDR.

I bought the 2014 Big Bertha from Callaway back in 2013, so the old girl's not exactly new - although newer than most of the others on this particular forum. However, this is a club that can, and will, go quite long when the need or opportunity arises. There's at least 2 or 3 times per round where I hit 300yd+ drives, and I know that she can keep up with, and beat, the current crop of drivers. The current Callaway GBB, TM M2, King Cobra and XR16 aren't as long or as low spinning as my driver. The only thing that might tempt me into buying new is the M1 with the right shaft in it, but the price would have to be right, probably around AUD$400 (roughly US$300).

I got the BB 2014 recently to try to dethrone my gamer.

Took it out to the range last weekend, but unfortunately I hadn't brought any tees with me (cause I switched to a practice bag without tees), so had to use the rubber ones from mats. They were either too high or too low for my set-up.

Just a little background info: lately I've been slicing the ball like crazy off the tee (cost me about 10 strokes last tourney).

But, interestingly enough, I couldn't slice the BB 2014 *knocks on wood* 

I have the weights set at full draw, standard 9* loft and neutral

Can't wait to get back on the range and try it with a proper tee height!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I got the BB 2014 recently to try to dethrone my gamer.

Took it out to the range last weekend, but unfortunately I hadn't brought any tees with me (cause I switched to a practice bag without tees), so had to use the rubber ones from mats. They were either too high or too low for my set-up.

Just a little background info: lately I've been slicing the ball like crazy off the tee (cost me about 10 strokes last tourney).

But, interestingly enough, I couldn't slice the BB 2014 *knocks on wood* 

I have the weights set at full draw, standard 9* loft and neutral

Can't wait to get back on the range and try it with a proper tee height!

A constant slice was the reason why I went to my Bertha in the first place. The problem is that now I tend to hit a baby draw to hook with the driver. I've been to a club fitter, who's suggested an Adilla Rogue stiff shaft that's heavier and less torquey than my Fubuki shaft. 

The weights in my driver are in full Fade position.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

A constant slice was the reason why I went to my Bertha in the first place. The problem is that now I tend to hit a baby draw to hook with the driver. I've been to a club fitter, who's suggested an Adilla Rogue stiff shaft that's heavier and less torquey than my Fubuki shaft. 

The weights in my driver are in full Fade position.

My current Adams has the Fubuki alpha which is a great fit for me. For the BB I got it with the Fubuki ZT. It feels a lot softer than the alpha, though.

I hooked a couple of them, but I have the driver set at full draw. Should that become a problem, I'll set it neutral and see what happens.

I tried the Rogue on my pro's 915D and it definitely felt boardier.

But the BB is really a great option for less than $100 right now.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

-Your Average Golfer

I am enamored with it, but still seem to get more consistency from the Bio Cell....this will prob be a summer long trial.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I am enamored with it, but still seem to get more consistency from the Bio Cell....this will prob be a summer long trial.

I actually demoed it today at the local golf shop in town. That thing is a bomber! I still love my Vapor Fly though.

-Your Average Golfer

I tried it at a demo day last month and loved it. It was a toss up between that and the bb alpha 816 dbd. They both had the same trajectory and distance wise about the same. I usually carry 250-260 with my xcg7 beta and both seemed much longer. I actually just bought the bb alpha 815 dbd with the hope that it is close enough to the 816.

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

• 4 weeks later...

That's true. I swear I never hit any driver better than my original Bertha.... I feel the same about my 14 year old Hogan Irons. Only give those up for another set of Hogans

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 2 months later...

I now have the 2014 Bertha. If you catch it right it goes a long way. A lot of forgiveness as well

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I second that emotion, although an R15 430 with a TP shaft might sway me.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

• 1 month later...

I still game my R510 TP every now and again. My last trackman day, it out performed every other driver I own (M1 included). If it works, it works

Driver - TM R11 8* Fujikara Motore F3 TP 80 :taylormade-small:

Irons - TM TP forged (2005) 2-PW DG X100 :taylormade-small:

Wedges - Scratch 1018 54 + 61 DG X 100    :scatch-golf-1:

Putter - Ping Redwood Blade   :ping-small:

Ball - Nike RZN Black  :nike-small:

-Your Average Golfer

I really like it, especially since I put the Paderson Kinetix IMRT shaft in it....That makes it 1" shorter than the stock shaft....So, at 44.5" I really like the feel of it.  The flight is considerably lower than normal but I can make it fly when needed.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 5 months later...

I just got back into golf after a decade long hiatus. As such, I have been gradually replacing clubs with new stuff. My last upgrade was at driver. I had been gaming a 2007 TM Burner. It was a perfectly serviceable driver, easy hit and decent distance. After a fitting, I just picked up a Callaway BB 816 DBD. I can say it is absolutely a better club. Easier to hit and I'm consistently getting 10 more yards and hitting more fairways. The burner was fine but I would be shocked if the new club didn't save me at least 1 stroke per 18.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I was a holdout until the start of last year when I half-upgraded.  I had been using a Tour Edge Bazooka 8.5° which I aboslutely loved.  But I picked up a used TaylorMade SLDR for $110 and I can say that I did begin immediately begin hitting the ball further on average, although I do find it a little harder to keep in play (the shaft is longer in the SLDR). 

Partially off-topic but last year I was looking at upgrading my irons and wanted to try a forged set before I bought anything used.  So I pulled out my Grandfather's Wilson X-31s from 1967 or so and loved them.  Didn't lose any distance or anything. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nike Vapor Flex from 2015 is a great driver if you can still find one. Gets your ball speed up and lower spin numbers. Fully adjustable for high or low flights, various lofts as well. I went from a FLY-Z+ carrying the ball about 230-235 to now Carrying about 260-270yards I suspect the shaft that came with the flex played a big role too as it was a much nicer shaft too that suited my way of loading the club. But the Nike Flex I believe is a smaller head too so your striking ability has to be relatively good to get the distance out of it. Hope this helps a bit.

Alfred

WITB:

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex, 9.5 Degrees

FW: Cobra F7, 14.5 Degrees

Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 19 Degrees

UT Iron: Callaway Apex UT 18 Degrees

Irons: 4-6i King Cobra LTD Pro CB

Irons: 7-PW King Cobra LTD Pro MB

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3 50 MG, 58 FG

Putter: Nike Method

• 2 weeks later...

About every 2 years I "upgrade" to the best 2 year old driver.  Depending on the brand you can get some killer deals on eBay.  This year I went from an X2 Hot to a Cobra Fly-Z+.  Found the Cobra on eBay for about $70 shipped and it was in excellent condition.  Look at the two year old MGS most wanted driver list and look for the best bargains.  You can get a lot of technology for not that much money.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I play a Taylormade R1(6-7years old)?

Was in Myrtle beach PGA superstore decided to hit the M1. Destroyed it. Swing speed avg. 118, launch 12.2, 2,200 rotation ( guy was talking gibberish to me. Had a buddy that new what he was talking about) was hitting right at 300 couple under couple over.

Fitter guy said what's wrong with that while he hands me the exact club I was hitting new to buy. Said I hit my R1 the same way. Said no way , went to my car got my R1 out and spot on exact.

I would love to pick up 5-10 more yards but I don't think that comes from a new club.

My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ok, I am still playing with the TaylorMade R9 SuperDeep TP that I got on June 1st, 2010. I know that there had been testing done that shows that the ball speeds on drivers of this era are comparable to the hot new stuff of today. That is regulated by USGA and R&A rules. The improvements in the past 7 years have to do with spin and launch conditions. If your 2010 era driver is a perfect fit for launch...  High LA, and low Spin, there is Very little improvement to be had by purchasing a new club..... If you hit the center of the club..  When I am swinging well, there is no discernible gain to be had by switching to something new.  Believe me. I try EVERYTHING.  EVERY YEAR.  

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

One of my friends who will turn 70 this year has tried many of the newer offerings. NOTHING touches his Cleveland Launcher... NOTHING! He still pounds the Launcher like a skilled carpenter on a virgin nail .

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I picked up a used TaylorMade SLDR for $110 and I can say that I did begin immediately begin hitting the ball further on average, although I do find it a little harder to keep in play (the shaft is longer in the SLDR). .

I also picked one up. Do you notice it has a higher ping/click sound.. Maybe its me playing a M1 & ZL Encore that are different material & have a more muted sound

Sent from my SM-N910V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

... If you are fit with the right shaft and head, maximizing spin and carry, I think it is extremely difficult to find more yards in a new driver. That said, it is still possible. After years of little to no gain in distance I gained 10-15 yards with the SLDR. First low spin head that launched high enough for me to gain the benefits of that technology. A few years later I added the Fly Z that had a hair more spin but was much more accurate and produced a little more carry. I imagine my best drives with both drivers would be the same, but I consistently hit the Z longer than the SLDR. And consistent distance is better than longest drive every time.

... I never know when the next technical break thru will happen for my swing, but I have no doubt it will happen. So I hit everything every year and my 2 yr old Fly Z is still safe. For now. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Going to that demo day on Tuesday. Looking to test the F7+ vs Ping G LSTEC vs 917 D3

Cobra F6 here, and I love it - not sure if the F7 would be worth the $$$ for me to upgrade.

http://www.instagram.com/libertyballmarkers

http://www.ebay.com/usr/libertyballmarkers

Archived