Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New vs old drivers

Justin H

With the recent run of driver testing contests (yes, I've applied for them all), I'm curious - how many of you out there play a driver more than a few generations old?

For instance, I'm playing a Cobra HS9 X. Which is about a decade old. Crazy, I know. But every time I drag it to a launch monitor, it equals or exceeds the numbers of the newer sticks. Which is all the more reason I'm curious about the current driver reviews out there, especially the Mizuno and Nike. I'd like the time to get a new one in the course and see if it's worth putting in my bag.

So, long story short, are there any other tech holdouts out there?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My opinion only, no 10 yr old driver can match anything current. Maybe hitting middle consistently, but anything off center no chance.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still rocking the Nike Ignite 460 with stock shaft nothing can touch it.

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Cobra F6 here, and I love it - not sure if the F7 would be worth the $$$ for me to upgrade.

http://www.instagram.com/libertyballmarkers

http://www.ebay.com/usr/libertyballmarkers

I have the F6+ with a HRZDUS Black 6.5 75G and it's an absolute beast. I love it. In the bag for years to come. Love that sound.

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

Basically the MOI etc in accordance with the rules has been maxed out for some time. Mostly what any of the companies are doing now is messing around with weight placement with regards to loft and face angle. Really they are not doing anything new that us old timers have not been doing with lead tape and or hot melt for years. Look at Callaway's Gravity Chamber there is nothing new and revolutinally there. Toney Penna did it over 40 years ago with the persimmon drivers. IMHO the best improvements are in shaft technology and the technology in tuning them. To add to Rev's suggestion I would like to take some of the older heads and put universal quick fit adaptors on the shafts and test them with newer more modern shafts compaired to the newer stuff. Also keep a roll of lead tape handy to make weight corrections. The only reason I am hitting a newer Titleist driver now is because I made a smoking hot trade on it and a Nike Vapor Pro and like the shafts in both. If I had not done that trade I would be hitting my older custom Hathaway or my older Hogan CS-5

I have to go with this; shaft. And confidence per results comes second. Plenty of tech out there to get you that too.

A local bomber has played an original Orlimar 9* with the stock 5.1 R shaft since it was new.

And played it with 115-20 ch speed to boot. 280 all day and more if he wanted it. Cracked it a month ago and has gone all sideways on the latest tech (and the numbers) rather find some one who will spec him to what he had and work with him from there; tech says that R cant possibly work. Fitted with the latest greatest and on his second driver already. Being side by side in the fairway with us old farts was for lack of a better word, sad to see :unsure: , so Im waiting for the second one to get nixxed too. 

Moral of the story... If it aint broke dont fix it.

If it does break, get the right 'mechanic' to fix it.

My opinion only, no 10 yr old driver can match anything current. Maybe hitting middle consistently, but anything off center no chance.

I think 'match' is the wrong word.  The differences in the numbers was not enough to justify spending $300-400 on a new club. I did eventually end up picking up a SLDR, but mainly for the shaft.  The low/forward CG suits me better too. 

I'll end up with a 2016 M2 at some point...for me, the moral of the story is, how much expendable income do you have to spend on a club?  I think that drives decisions for a lot of us. 

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

I would love to see some more head to head testing on old vs new.

I have the Ping G5 10.5 deg driver and I've loved it since the day I borrowed if from a friend on the driving range one day.

I haven't hit anything better yet. Still hitting around 270 yrd  average with long being 290-300

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

I would love to see some more head to head testing on old vs new.

I have the Ping G5 10.5 deg driver and I've loved it since the day I borrowed if from a friend on the driving range one day.

I haven't hit anything better yet. Still hitting around 270 yrd average with long being 290-300

If I was hitting the driver that distance and I was in the fairway, I wouldn't get rid of it either!!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I honestly never noticed astounding differences until I switched to the M2 (2016). Previously I played an old cobra, then the Anser, to the G25, then to a SLDR, and now onto the M2. I don't know if it was just a mental thing of owning the top of the line driver for that year for the first time in my life, or if it really is the tech. But I genuinely hit the ball about 30 yards further than I did and exceedingly straighter. Could be proper fitting too going from an X Oban Kyoshi White to a stock Fuji shaft in a S.

Driver- Taylormade M2 9.5 degree 2016 (Fujikara Pro60 S)

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Aeroburner TP (Oban Revenge 65 S)

Hybrid- Ping G 3 Hybrid (Alta 70 X)

Driving Iron- Taylormade Tour Preffered UDI 3 (KBS Tour V)

Irons- 4-PW Mizuno MP64 (Dynamic Gold S300) Standard length/3 degrees upright

Wedges- Titleist Vokey SM5 52 F12,56 F14

Putter- Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 Silver Mist edition 

Ball- Prov1X 

well that's the catch, it's not always in the fairway.. That right there is where I keep hoping the new tech will help out. I just keep working on my swing and it usually gets much straighter by mid season..

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

I'm playing the R15 with a Accra F150 and nothing has come close to knocking it out of the bag. IMHO it is the best TM driver since maybe the R5 Series. It is accurate, more forgiving than it gets credit for and LONG with the right shaft. It's also very easy to adjust. I've compared it to the Epic, M2, XR and D2 so far this year. Not worth the money to change. Still have the F7, F7+ and Z565 to try so, we'll see.

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

I also played the Cleveland Launcher for 3-4 years with a UST all white shaft which I can't remember the name of. A BOMBER!

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing my Callaway FT5 for the past 15 years. Like you, every time I compare it to new drivers on a launch monitor it compares favorably or close enough not to justify the additional cost. I recently compared my FT5 to the Callaway EPIC. On the computer screen the EPIC is 25-30 yards longer & just as straight...actually more forgiving. So, I'm anxious to hit this thing outside & I'm afraid I'll have to invest $500 to get it! If the results are the same as the monitor...money well spent!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Ok, I am still playing with the TaylorMade R9 SuperDeep TP that I got on June 1st, 2010. I know that there had been testing done that shows that the ball speeds on drivers of this era are comparable to the hot new stuff of today. That is regulated by USGA and R&A rules. The improvements in the past 7 years have to do with spin and launch conditions. If your 2010 era driver is a perfect fit for launch... High LA, and low Spin, there is Very little improvement to be had by purchasing a new club..... If you hit the center of the club.. When I am swinging well, there is no discernible gain to be had by switching to something new. Believe me. I try EVERYTHING. EVERY YEAR.

I was gaming a Callaway FT Tour for ~7 years before it literally exploded on the range last Fall. The M1 430 I picked up as a replacement is a terrible substitute.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

With the recent run of driver testing contests (yes, I've applied for them all), I'm curious - how many of you out there play a driver more than a few generations old?

For instance, I'm playing a Cobra HS9 X. Which is about a decade old. Crazy, I know. But every time I drag it to a launch monitor, it equals or exceeds the numbers of the newer sticks. Which is all the more reason I'm curious about the current driver reviews out there, especially the Mizuno and Nike. I'd like the time to get a new one in the course and see if it's worth putting in my bag.

So, long story short, are there any other tech holdouts out there?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Titleist 910 from 905R.

Oldest club in my bag is my Nike VRS 3-wood 4-5 years oldish. I'm using a Vapor Speed driver right now. Still have my first r7 driver though and I do hit it on occasion.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

My first switch from my dunlop starter set was a driver. Bought a Callaway RAZR fit (I believe came out 2011) and nothing has been able to beat it. I've taken it and demoed every club in store every season. Lots of clubs can match it.... But nothing has out hit my baby yet!!

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Bought a Cobra F6 recently but I still hit my TM R11 as well most of the time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver :cobra-small: King F6 matrix White Tie shaft

3 Wood : :taylormade-small: Rocketballz 15* Matrix Ozik X-con5

5 wood :taylormade-small: Rocketballz 19* Matrix Ozik X-con5

Hybrid :taylormade-small: Burner 3H , :cobra-small: King F7 4-5 hybrid

Irons  6-PW :cobra-small:  King Cobra SZ

wedges  :cleveland-small: CG16 52*,56*

Putter :odyssey-small:  Sabertooth

Ball :srixon-small: Tour yellow Q Star or :callaway-small: Chrome Soft yellow/black Truvis

I was gaming a Callaway FT Tour for ~7 years before it literally exploded on the range last Fall. The M1 430 I picked up as a replacement is a terrible substitute.

If you miss that 430 at all it just goes nowhere. Definitely not the most forgiving thing in the world.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I wonder if we compensate in our swings at all for our current equipment. I have a Nike Ignite 460 and nothing has beat it yet wonder if over time I have made subtle changes to my swing to allow for a gods shot

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Primary weapon is a Callaway Razr Hawk driver, occasionally I dig out the Mizuno Blue Rage driver. But, for the most part, I prefer the Razr Hawk.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Love trying new equipment and staying informed of current trends and developments.  Over the years, I have owned Callaway, Ping, Mizuno, Srixon, Cobra, Adams, Orlimar, Snake Eyes, Cleveland, Wilson/Staff, Lynx, Ram, and Dunlop.  Belong to a golf league at my workplace, am an alternate for another golf league, and spend my free time golfing with my wife, (who is also on a golf league!), or with other friends. 

Callaway RazrX irons, 6-P, standard loft, regular flex

Callaway RazrHawk Fairway Woods 3, 5, 7, regular flex

Callaway Big Bertha Fairway Wood 9, regular flex

Callaway Xhot Driver, 10.5, regular flex

Cleveland RTX Wedges, 56* 60*, standard loft, regular flex

Cleveland TFi 6.5 Putter
Right Handed

Madison, WI

18 Handicap

• 2 weeks later...

I switched to a 2015 Nike Vapor Flex with a Diamana blue 60s+ shaft gained about 30 yards of carry with that combination. Its a smaller head but it works really well. I think one of the biggest things is the shaft has to be optimal for you and the head in the correct settings for your swing speed and tempo.

Alfred

WITB:

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex, 9.5 Degrees

FW: Cobra F7, 14.5 Degrees

Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 19 Degrees

UT Iron: Callaway Apex UT 18 Degrees

Irons: 4-6i King Cobra LTD Pro CB

Irons: 7-PW King Cobra LTD Pro MB

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3 50 MG, 58 FG

Putter: Nike Method

I switched to a 2015 Nike Vapor Flex with a Diamana blue 60s+ shaft gained about 30 yards of carry with that combination. Its a smaller head but it works really well. I think one of the biggest things is the shaft has to be optimal for you and the head in the correct settings for your swing speed and tempo.

Wow. So total distance gained is something like maybe 60 yards!!

I still play my 2014 SLDR. I've tried to change (just because) but can't do it. It's been too damn consistent and reliable. Although I do like the Epic and might... might consider one next year or whenever Callaway puts out a newer model. I refuse to pay for a new current year model when a last year model is the same.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Primary weapon is a Callaway Razr Hawk driver, occasionally I dig out the Mizuno Blue Rage driver. But, for the most part, I prefer the Razr Hawk.

I picked up a slightly used Callaway XHot driver. WOW! Much better than the Razr Hawk!

Love trying new equipment and staying informed of current trends and developments.  Over the years, I have owned Callaway, Ping, Mizuno, Srixon, Cobra, Adams, Orlimar, Snake Eyes, Cleveland, Wilson/Staff, Lynx, Ram, and Dunlop.  Belong to a golf league at my workplace, am an alternate for another golf league, and spend my free time golfing with my wife, (who is also on a golf league!), or with other friends. 

Callaway RazrX irons, 6-P, standard loft, regular flex

Callaway RazrHawk Fairway Woods 3, 5, 7, regular flex

Callaway Big Bertha Fairway Wood 9, regular flex

Callaway Xhot Driver, 10.5, regular flex

Cleveland RTX Wedges, 56* 60*, standard loft, regular flex

Cleveland TFi 6.5 Putter
Right Handed

Madison, WI

18 Handicap

I used the super old TaylorMade R7 Superquad for quite a while. Loved it! I did just get the M1 because the Superquad had a rather large fracture in it...

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I switched from an old 2007 Big Bertha Driver to a 2014 Big Bertha with a lot larger head.  I definitely prefer the newer club.  That oversized head is a lot more forgiving and hits the ball farther.  I have the old 2007 3 wood as well.  I wonder if upgrading that to a newer version would give the same improvement?  It seems that more research and development goes into drivers than fairway woods.  If you have any insight into this, please give a shout.

Mizuno JPX EZ driver

Taylormade SLDR HL 3 wood

Mizuno JPX EZ hybrids 3 & 4

Mizuno JPX EZ Irons 4-G

Titleist SM6 Vokey wedge 54.10

Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line putter

Fairway woods have come a long way in ten years...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I switched from an old 2007 Big Bertha Driver to a 2014 Big Bertha with a lot larger head.  I definitely prefer the newer club.  That oversized head is a lot more forgiving and hits the ball farther.  I have the old 2007 3 wood as well.  I wonder if upgrading that to a newer version would give the same improvement?  It seems that more research and development goes into drivers than fairway woods.  If you have any insight into this, please give a shout.

They'll be more forgiving for sure. You'll get more distance and less dispersion off your mis-hits, but you'll probably see similar distances on pured shots.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Newer fairways are alot easier to get off the deck, imo.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Archived