TESTERS WANTED! ×

New vs old drivers

Justin H

Thanks for the input on fairway woods.  I guess I will start looking to upgrade it as well.

Mizuno JPX EZ driver

Taylormade SLDR HL 3 wood

Mizuno JPX EZ hybrids 3 & 4

Mizuno JPX EZ Irons 4-G

Titleist SM6 Vokey wedge 54.10

Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line putter

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the input on fairway woods.  I guess I will start looking to upgrade it as well.

Callaway pre-owned is having a pretty crazy sale on their XR16 fairway woods. 25% off until next week. Like new came out to $119 + shipping.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone else see Rick Shiels video comparing 5 years of Callaway drivers? One for from each year 2012-2017. Very interesting video and I won't spoil the results for those who haven't watched it, but definitely made me second guess the epic. I've certainly found success in the past using my slightly older cobra driver and have a hard time taking it out of the bag for any length of time.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I've came to the conclusion that I'm a better player without a driver. I can't stop myself from swinging 120% and bad stuff happens. I'd rather stripe a 3 iron and play from the fairway. I gamed my "moms" old 11° 42" Shaft driver 2 summers ago. Ripped that thing. Seriously considering going with a 43" driver 41" 3 wood, and 1 iron - PW and wedges.

I'm using the first generation Callaway XR, still get good results from it.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I am using a GBB DBD, but have always thought that my Razr Fit was as good or better.  They just had to change hosel adapter, to prevent me doing a comparison with the same shaft.  Really interested in any testing that compares those two heads, even through the GBB non DBD.

Mavrik 10.5 w TT Evenflow Riptide CB 50

Mavrik 5 metal w TT Evenflow Riptide 60

Rogue 4 hybrid

Titleist T200 5 - G

Vokey SM8 54 and 60

I mostly buy played clubs on eBay so I'm constantly 2-3 years behind the current trend. That being said, I couldn't imagine going back to a 5-10 year old driver. The impact sound of those older clubs just make me cringe. I read an article recently about how the club manufacturers invest millions in the acoustics and it really makes a difference in my mind. No one wants to hit a club that sounds cheaply made regardless of performance.

Here's the link for those interested: http://www.popsci.com/amp/golf-club-sound-engineering

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Did anyone else see Rick Shiels video comparing 5 years of Callaway drivers? One for from each year 2012-2017. Very interesting video and I won't spoil the results for those who haven't watched it, but definitely made me second guess the epic. I've certainly found success in the past using my slightly older cobra driver and have a hard time taking it out of the bag for any length of time.

I saw it this afternoon and I was quite surprised with the results. I have the RAZR fit (2012 model he used)

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I was playing with a Callaway FT(I) for a while, but it recently broke.  Hit a ball flush, but the top just imploded and there's a crack running through the top now.

I'm currently looking into getting a new driver, and as much as I would love a brand new driver, I am thinking I am getting a used new (old) driver. I'm not good enough to need whatever benefit may come from a brand new driver, and will just put the difference towards some lessons.

I'm open to hearing everyone's recommendations if they have any, I am seeing a lot of these drivers for fair prices.  Anyone have strong opinions on any of these to focus on or avoid?

High Handicapper

110-113 Swing speed.

Titleist 915 D2/3

Cobra F6+/F6

Callaway GBB

Callaway XR & XR16

Taylormade R15

Ping I25

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

I was playing with a Callaway FT(I) for a while, but it recently broke. Hit a ball flush, but the top just imploded and there's a crack running through the top now.

I'm currently looking into getting a new driver, and as much as I would love a brand new driver, I am thinking I am getting a used new (old) driver. I'm not good enough to need whatever benefit may come from a brand new driver, and will just put the difference towards some lessons.

I'm open to hearing everyone's recommendations if they have any, I am seeing a lot of these drivers for fair prices. Anyone have strong opinions on any of these to focus on or avoid?

High Handicapper

110-113 Swing speed.

Titleist 915 D2/3

Cobra F6+/F6

Callaway GBB

Callaway XR & XR16

Taylormade R15

Ping I25

I play the 915D3 for accuracy, chose it over R15, and play the i25 3 wood. Unfortunately I haven't tried the others.

If I were you, I'd take a hard look at the i25. The 3 wood is super hot and the matte finish they share looks great at address.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Newer fairways are alot easier to get off the deck, imo.

Well then.....  I may have to get me a new fairway wood  :D

Speaking of older drivers and fairway woods, I used to have a Biggest Big Bertha driver I could hit bombs with, decided to purchase the 3wd and hit nothing but 100 yard hooks. lol

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

I was playing with a Callaway FT(I) for a while, but it recently broke. Hit a ball flush, but the top just imploded and there's a crack running through the top now.

I'm open to hearing everyone's recommendations if they have any, I am seeing a lot of these drivers for fair prices. Anyone have strong opinions on any of these to focus on or avoid?

High Handicapper

110-113 Swing speed.

Titleist 915 D2/3

Cobra F6+/F6

Callaway GBB

Callaway XR & XR16

Taylormade R15

Ping I25

Any XR from the last couple years can really launch the ball. Highly recommended.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 1 month later...

High Handicapper

110-113 Swing speed.

Titleist 915 D2/3

Cobra F6+/F6

Callaway GBB

Callaway XR & XR16

Taylormade R15

Ping I25

I'm taking a trip down memory lane going to use my FTi this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I was hitting a Mizuno MP-650 until a year ago. Switched to a Ping G30 after borrowing my father's for a few tee shots and then some range work. It was the first "newish" driver that I hit as straight as the Mizuno. The gains were not monumental. Maybe 10 extra yards and I think my miss hits are slightly better. But I will never git rid of the old driver... it is ready to go when I need it. 

Ping G30 driver 9 degree

Ping G25 3-wood

Mizuno CLK hi-fli hybrid 17 degree

Ping i20 4-AW  black dot steel stiff

Ping Gorge 56ss 60ss

Ping Anser Sigma G

Took an "old" Adams 9064LS w/RIP Gamma to the course last weekend leaving My Epic SZ at home,  To be honest, Tee shots were in the same general area compared to the EPIC....  the 9064LS is a STILL Legit today......

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

About a year and a half ago I bought the Bridgestone JGR driver, mostly based off reports by GolfSpy Barbajo that it was stupid easy to hit straight.  I liked it, and it replaced my SLDR which generally went straight but I could also hit the occasional shot left and right.  Last weekend I decided to try the SLDR again.  I shot two of my best rounds of the year, 80 and 79, and that could have been my good play getting up and down around the greens.  However, all my tee shots were straight, and to be honest, a little further than the JGR.  The SLDR is back in the bag for now.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My 9064ls would still be in the bag if I hadn't hit one on the toe and cracked the face!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I've had a variety of newer drivers over the last couple years and honestly the distance gains are marginal at best compared to my old Titleist 905, I hit the R15 and the M1 longer by about 7 to 10 yds but lost allot of lateral control. For me hitting fairways is allot more important than hitting it a little farther.

I wonder if swing speed has something to do with the advantages allot of folks see with the new technology? 

I've had a variety of newer drivers over the last couple years and honestly the distance gains are marginal at best compared to my old Titleist 905, I hit the R15 and the M1 longer by about 7 to 10 yds but lost allot of lateral control. For me hitting fairways is allot more important than hitting it a little farther.

I wonder if swing speed has something to do with the advantages allot of folks see with the new technology?

Absolutely. Slower swing speed players, especially ones that don't have a positive angle of attack, need more help getting and keeping the ball airborne - too little spin could actually cost them distance.

That was the big reason TaylorMade launched the "loft up" campaign - because a good portion of amateur golfers didn't have the clubhead speed to game the SLDR at a 'traditional' 9 or 10.5 degree loft

The 905 drivers are a timeless classic. Titleist really hit the ball out of the park with those. you would not believe the better players and top ams and club champs that still play those. I still have mine. I got a little slow and old to swing the Pro Force V-2 in it. I was going to change the shaft but then I did a trade deal for the 915 D-2 I have now and fell in love with it. But I still have the 905R

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 3 weeks later...

Up until last year, I was gaming a Titleist 905s 8.5* driver. I since updated to a Titleist 915D3. Beside my Scotty Cameron it's the most 'latest & greatest ' in my bag.

I'm still gaming Titleist black DCI oversize irons, and my 3 wood is a PowerBuilt TPS Ti I bought in '98. I did get a donated Titleist 917 3 wood from a mate who couldn't hit it, and after trying it, then being fitted with different shafts and settings, it still wasn't as good as the old PowerBuilt.

These new drivers are made from materials that put man on the moon, but unfortunately it doesn't necessarily equate to putting your ball on the moon.

I went on vacation recently and couldn't take my clubs. My brother in law had a Taylor made R9 SuperTri in his bag that I thought might work for me, and boy did it. My longest drive to date was 291 with the bombtech grenade 9*. My longest over 4, 9 hole rounds with the Taylormade was 306, and it felt ridiculously smooth. I found way more fairways than usually and just overall fell in love with the club. Might have to find one for the bag.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My backup driver is Taylormade tour burner. When I struggle in the bag it goes. Not quite as forgiving as the R15 but distance is the same or better.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I keep staring at the R1 I have sitting in a bag in the corner of my closest. I wonder almost everyday how I'd hit it of I took it out.

Seems crazy that a 4 year old driver is considered "old" but for me at least 7 or 8 drivers have come and gone since then.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

CG2, I have an R1 as my backup and while some people hate the club I always hit it well. I keep thinking I should put it back in my bag for a test run.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

CG2, I have an R1 as my backup and while some people hate the club I always hit it well. I keep thinking I should put it back in my bag for a test run.

yeah, i really need to get it out.  if for nothing else take it out on the range here with the SC200 and see what it does.  It might surprise myself...ha

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Archived