KevinE

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • Handicap:11

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:46 AM

Kevin I think you've summed up the market well. I just don't believe the golf marketing. I mean... does anybody? Well yes... they do actually. Just look around your course and count the Epics on any given day. And soon it will be the Rogue. Then later it will be the Rogue Epic and after that the Rogue Epic Sub-Zero. Each one better than the one before. Gimme a break.  I play a 2014 SLDR and absolutely love the club. It's a fairway machine and plenty long for me. I'm a month shy of 63 and still average about 250 off the tee. I just purchased a brand new 2015 Cobra Fly-Z+ for $90. When it came out it was rated by MGS to be one of the top three drivers to come out that year. The Flyz+ had it all they said. Nothing could beat it. I bought mine for fun and games basically. I'm going to mess around with it and see what goes. If I like it and can play it well I'll bag it. If not I stick with the SLDR.

You bring home the girl you brought. Or, something like that. Changing clubs every year or two, because something is advertised as better or because DJ uses it, or I can get 5 more guaranteed yards on a drive,is just not financially feasible nor am I DJ.

#137 PlaidJacket

PlaidJacket

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,253 posts
  • LocationW. Texas
  • Handicap:62

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

Or perhaps; "dance with the one that brung ya". :)

My  :wilson_staff_small:  bag currently includes:    TWGT 771CSI 4i - PW and TWGT PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

TM SLDR 14° D, TWGT 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Edel Willimette w/SuperStroke Slim

#138 Zarfot

Zarfot

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta to LA

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

Up until last night I was playing the 8 y.o. TM Burner Superfast. I went and picked up the F8+, but I am still waiting on the proper shaft to be sent to me. In terms of distance I am not concerned about any gains. I'm hoping that with a proper shaft I will limit my hook misses from over drawing the ball.

Beers & Birdies

In my bag

Driver  :cobra-small:  King F8+

Fairway: (TBD)

Hybrid:   :callaway-small:  Diablo Edge 3H

Irons:   :ping-small:  i200 (4-PW)

Wedge:   :callaway-small:  62 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 54 | SM5 58 

Putter:  Odyssey Dual Force 2

#139 chisag

chisag

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationChicago Suburbs
  • Handicap:+.8

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:17 PM

For me, golf equipment is kind of like computers and smartphones, By the time you fork over the $500,00 for the brand new,longest best, driver on the market. There's already a half dozen better ones hitting the shelves and a dozen more on the drawing board. I am neither rich enough or good enough to "keep up with the Jones" or more like the Johnson's,Speith's and Thomas's. I think a major problem with equipment companies is, if you wait out the newest driver for a few months, and their new newest one comes out, you get the old (6 months old) new driver for hundreds of dollars less. Just my thinking and some thoughts I've read along these lines in other blogs and golf publications. My Bridgestone JGR is a few years old now, and I love it. I just can't fork over hundreds for a driver that may or may not add 5 yards to my drives. At 60 years old, 260- 275 yards is my absolute max and 235-240 yards is more like my average. It is what it is.  :D  :D  :D

... I have been going to the PGA Show for the last 13 years and play a new driver every season, mostly because I write reviews. Many years I have chosen a Best New Driver that has a different look or sound/feel or less spin or a different trajectory yet more often than not, no performance increase. However a few years I did find a performance increase with the SLDR, Fly Z and Epic among them. Had I not been interested in trying all the new drivers, I never would have discovered these performance increases for my swing. 

... And one thing I always take exception to is that golfers do not need a new driver every year. Because many will need a new driver in 2018 for a myriad of reasons. They have not upgraded in 5 years or more. New stock shafts will make a big difference for them. They have improved and need a new driver that matches their swing. They have aged or practice/play less and need a new driver that matches their swing. 

... I think every golfer should demo new divers every year. But I also think most will not find something better than what they are currently playing IF they were properly fit with their current driver. I gotta admit I love marketing and it gives you reasons why there may be an improvement for your particular game. Obviously you need to read between the lines as you do with any product being marketed and a "more forgiving driver that increases launch that is longer and straighter" will appeal to a different player than "solid low spin driver with a lower launch that is longer and straighter". Ignore the longer and straighter as every new driver touts this and concentrate on the characteristics that do apply to your swing. And I agree with you that nobody should fork over hundreds of dollars for a driver than may or may not add 5 yds if they have not demoed one with shafts that fit their swing. 

... All that said, if you have something that is working for you I also get not even bothering with demoing new drivers. Drivers have been so good the last 5 years it is tough to find a substantial increase or any increase in performance depending on your swing and abilities. Some are willing to pay for 5 more yards and some are not. I could still be playing my 4 year old Fly Z and be very happy yet look forward to demoing the F8 and Rogue this year. Different strokes and all. 

Driver:   Callaway Epic 10.5* ... Rogue Black Tour 110 60s

Fw wood: Taylor Made Aeroburner Yardbird 17.3* Kuro Kage Black 70s 

Utility:  Cobra King Utility 19* ... Rogue Black 85 Hys

Hybrid: 21.5* RBZ Tour ... Altus 85 Hys

Irons:  4/5 TM UDi Recoil 95's ... 6-pw Cobra King Forged Tour Recoil Prototype 95's

Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM6 58* M Grind ... Recoil 110s

Putter:  Bobby Grace 6330 at 33.25"

Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

#140 KevinE

KevinE

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:39 PM

I fully understand and respect your position...........Happy demo- ing.... :D

#141 KevinE

KevinE

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

Or perhaps; "dance with the one that brung ya". :)

Lol...that's the West Texas version........ :D

#142 AWLBMW

AWLBMW

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationEP,Texas
  • Handicap:8

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:58 PM

Last year I used various drivers, depending on course type and weather.

Used a titleist 905T (10.5 nv65), Nike Vr Tour (10.5 project x blue 6.0)
Longest stint in the bag and most reliable was a Nike Sq sumo round (9.5 UST tourflight purple stiff).

Vr was longest but only by 3-4 yrds compared to sq sumo. 905t was most accurate, but about 7-8 yds. than vr.

Shafts and loft come into play, but for me so does strike. Tried a XR pro 9.0 rogue silver and high or low middle strikes, wouldn’t work for me. Also experiment with mini driver (975j 9.5 ust purple 65). Decent club on center, but lost chunks of yds on dispersion.

Currently settled on ping g30 10.5 tour 60. Feels way easier to launch with right amount of spin, and is a fairway finder.

In summation, for me older drivers work when on, but on off days end up in scrupulous areas, so cig placement is key, tied to loft, but most important is strike/forgiveness with off center yardage.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2018

Driver:  :ping-small:  G30 10.5 w/ Ping Tour 65 Stiff

FW:  :ping-small:  G30 14.5 & 18 w/ Ping Tour 80 Stiff

HY:  :callaway-small:  XR 19* & 22* px blue 6.0 LZ

Irons:  :callaway-small:  Xhot pro 5i-pw px flighted 6.0

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  rtx 2.0 50*, 54, 58

Putter:  :ping-small:  Sigma G Craz-e OR  :ping-small:  G2i Craz-e

Ball:  :titelist-small:  Pro V1/V1x/DTTruSoft 

:titelist-small: Vokey Design tour bag

#143 PlaidJacket

PlaidJacket

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,253 posts
  • LocationW. Texas
  • Handicap:62

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:42 PM

Initial impressions: 2014 SLDR vs. 2015 Fly-Z+

As some of you know I've recently purchased a new driver to test out. It's brand new but old. A 2015 Cobra Flyz+. Yesterday before I played I took it out on the practice tee and after warming up a bit I pulled the FZ+. Granted I didn't have much time before our game to really test it much but my initial thought was positive. The FZ+ is set at 11.5* loft and the flip-zone weight at the rear. I proceeded to hit perhaps 5-6 balls. My ball flight was slightly lower than I'm accustomed to and distance seemed good. However, I was hitting most of these shots slightly to the right. The FZ+ also felt a bit heavier which I guess should be expected since it's got a 65g shaft vs. the SLDR with a 57g shaft. The SLDR head is also lofted higher. It's marked as a 14* head and I have it set at about 12* with a slight draw bias in the sliding weight track. I proceeded to the first tee with the SLDR in my bag and drove the ball most of the day.

I'd like to take my SLDR (and FZ+) by a shop and have the clubs measured for weight and loft, etc. to use as a baseline. Maybe later today or over the weekend I'll have another opportunity to work with the FZ+ some more. I have a friend that owns a Golf Headquarters so I might also be able to get a couple of shafts to test.

I think this will be an interesting experiment. Besides the shaft I suspect the differences in loft of the SLDR vs. FZ+ is going to be big factor in this exercise.

My  :wilson_staff_small:  bag currently includes:    TWGT 771CSI 4i - PW and TWGT PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

TM SLDR 14° D, TWGT 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Edel Willimette w/SuperStroke Slim

#144 Kieldog (PMookie)

Kieldog (PMookie)

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 765 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

... I have been going to the PGA Show for the last 13 years and play a new driver every season, mostly because I write reviews. Many years I have chosen a Best New Driver that has a different look or sound/feel or less spin or a different trajectory yet more often than not, no performance increase. However a few years I did find a performance increase with the SLDR, Fly Z and Epic among them. Had I not been interested in trying all the new drivers, I never would have discovered these performance increases for my swing.

... And one thing I always take exception to is that golfers do not need a new driver every year. Because many will need a new driver in 2018 for a myriad of reasons. They have not upgraded in 5 years or more. New stock shafts will make a big difference for them. They have improved and need a new driver that matches their swing. They have aged or practice/play less and need a new driver that matches their swing.

... I think every golfer should demo new divers every year. But I also think most will not find something better than what they are currently playing IF they were properly fit with their current driver. I gotta admit I love marketing and it gives you reasons why there may be an improvement for your particular game. Obviously you need to read between the lines as you do with any product being marketed and a "more forgiving driver that increases launch that is longer and straighter" will appeal to a different player than "solid low spin driver with a lower launch that is longer and straighter". Ignore the longer and straighter as every new driver touts this and concentrate on the characteristics that do apply to your swing. And I agree with you that nobody should fork over hundreds of dollars for a driver than may or may not add 5 yds if they have not demoed one with shafts that fit their swing.

... All that said, if you have something that is working for you I also get not even bothering with demoing new drivers. Drivers have been so good the last 5 years it is tough to find a substantial increase or any increase in performance depending on your swing and abilities. Some are willing to pay for 5 more yards and some are not. I could still be playing my 4 year old Fly Z and be very happy yet look forward to demoing the F8 and Rogue this year. Different strokes and all.

I’m in this boat. I have been to the same demo day for four years straight. All of the major OEMs have their tents and I go through “fittings” with all of the stock options. It’s fun, and a great way to see if something DOES provide an improvement. Most times I walk away and don’t purchase, sometimes I do find a better driver.
Last year, the Epic was enough of an improvement for me to switch. Then, my KZG blew away the Epic.. How would I have known this had I not gone through fittings? Demo days are free and you get to see firsthand all of the new offerings from Driver to putter. I say why not? If the “stock” shafts don’t work perfectly, but you leave intrigued, one can then go to a true fitter and see if a shaft change makes the club come alive.
It’s easy to say, “Nothing can beat my——,” but never actually put the claim to the test. Is that any different than an OEM saying, “Nothing can beat our ——,” yet never put it to the test????

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Formerly known as "PMookie"

#145 chisag

chisag

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationChicago Suburbs
  • Handicap:+.8

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:38 PM

Initial impressions: 2014 SLDR vs. 2015 Fly-Z+

As some of you know I've recently purchased a new driver to test out. It's brand new but old. A 2015 Cobra Flyz+. Yesterday before I played I took it out on the practice tee and after warming up a bit I pulled the FZ+. Granted I didn't have much time before our game to really test it much but my initial thought was positive. The FZ+ is set at 11.5* loft and the flip-zone weight at the rear. I proceeded to hit perhaps 5-6 balls. My ball flight was slightly lower than I'm accustomed to and distance seemed good. However, I was hitting most of these shots slightly to the right. The FZ+ also felt a bit heavier which I guess should be expected since it's got a 65g shaft vs. the SLDR with a 57g shaft. The SLDR head is also lofted higher. It's marked as a 14* head and I have it set at about 12* with a slight draw bias in the sliding weight track. I proceeded to the first tee with the SLDR in my bag and drove the ball most of the day.

I'd like to take my SLDR (and FZ+) by a shop and have the clubs measured for weight and loft, etc. to use as a baseline. Maybe later today or over the weekend I'll have another opportunity to work with the FZ+ some more. I have a friend that owns a Golf Headquarters so I might also be able to get a couple of shafts to test.

I think this will be an interesting experiment. Besides the shaft I suspect the differences in loft of the SLDR vs. FZ+ is going to be big factor in this exercise.

... Good stuff Plaid and I look forward to your follow up. I am not sure you will find much difference between the two or the kind of difference you may find with the non + Fly Z vs the SLDR but it should be interesting. It was no coincidence many Pro's kept the SLDR in their bag for several years, Freddie and DLIII come to mind. I did not find the Z+ to be much more forgiving or longer than my SLDR but have read others that raved about the Z+. I think if you find someone with similar swing characteristics you can get an idea of how a club may work for you but everyone is different and sometimes a club just clicks. Hopefully that is the case with the Z+. Good luck in your testing! 

Driver:   Callaway Epic 10.5* ... Rogue Black Tour 110 60s

Fw wood: Taylor Made Aeroburner Yardbird 17.3* Kuro Kage Black 70s 

Utility:  Cobra King Utility 19* ... Rogue Black 85 Hys

Hybrid: 21.5* RBZ Tour ... Altus 85 Hys

Irons:  4/5 TM UDi Recoil 95's ... 6-pw Cobra King Forged Tour Recoil Prototype 95's

Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM6 58* M Grind ... Recoil 110s

Putter:  Bobby Grace 6330 at 33.25"

Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      13 Jan
    KevinE

I won't argue up or down about Warrior products. I have just found them sometimes difficult to deal with. Just a personal observation from a couple of dealings, not a knock, just an observation.

View All Updates

Our Sponsors