New vs old drivers

Justin H

• 2 months later...

I now have the 2014 Bertha. If you catch it right it goes a long way. A lot of forgiveness as well

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I second that emotion, although an R15 430 with a TP shaft might sway me.

Driver (main): Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

Driver (back-up): Titliest 915 D3 (9.5) with Fujikura Speeder Shaft 757 (Tour Stiff)

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: PING i200 4-PW in XP 95 shafts with S300 flex (+ 3 iron)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1X, Srixon Z-Star ZV & Taylormade TP5X

• 1 month later...

I still game my R510 TP every now and again. My last trackman day, it out performed every other driver I own (M1 included). If it works, it works

• Like 1

Driver - TM R11 8* Fujikara Motore F3 TP 80 :taylormade-small:

Irons - TM TP forged (2005) 2-PW DG X100 :taylormade-small:

Wedges - Scratch 1018 54 + 61 DG X 100    :scatch-golf-1:

Putter - Ping Redwood Blade   :ping-small:

Ball - Nike RZN Black  :nike-small:

What do you think about the King LTD?

-Your Average Golfer

I really like it, especially since I put the Paderson Kinetix IMRT shaft in it....That makes it 1" shorter than the stock shaft....So, at 44.5" I really like the feel of it.  The flight is considerably lower than normal but I can make it fly when needed.

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

• 5 months later...

I just got back into golf after a decade long hiatus. As such, I have been gradually replacing clubs with new stuff. My last upgrade was at driver. I had been gaming a 2007 TM Burner. It was a perfectly serviceable driver, easy hit and decent distance. After a fitting, I just picked up a Callaway BB 816 DBD. I can say it is absolutely a better club. Easier to hit and I'm consistently getting 10 more yards and hitting more fairways. The burner was fine but I would be shocked if the new club didn't save me at least 1 stroke per 18.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I was a holdout until the start of last year when I half-upgraded.  I had been using a Tour Edge Bazooka 8.5° which I aboslutely loved.  But I picked up a used TaylorMade SLDR for $110 and I can say that I did begin immediately begin hitting the ball further on average, although I do find it a little harder to keep in play (the shaft is longer in the SLDR). 

Partially off-topic but last year I was looking at upgrading my irons and wanted to try a forged set before I bought anything used.  So I pulled out my Grandfather's Wilson X-31s from 1967 or so and loved them.  Didn't lose any distance or anything. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nike Vapor Flex from 2015 is a great driver if you can still find one. Gets your ball speed up and lower spin numbers. Fully adjustable for high or low flights, various lofts as well. I went from a FLY-Z+ carrying the ball about 230-235 to now Carrying about 260-270yards I suspect the shaft that came with the flex played a big role too as it was a much nicer shaft too that suited my way of loading the club. But the Nike Flex I believe is a smaller head too so your striking ability has to be relatively good to get the distance out of it. Hope this helps a bit.

Alfred

WITB:

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex, 9.5 Degrees

FW: Cobra F7, 14.5 Degrees

Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 19 Degrees

UT Iron: Callaway Apex UT 18 Degrees

Irons: 4-6i King Cobra LTD Pro CB

Irons: 7-PW King Cobra LTD Pro MB

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3 50 MG, 58 FG

Putter: Nike Method

• 2 weeks later...

About every 2 years I "upgrade" to the best 2 year old driver.  Depending on the brand you can get some killer deals on eBay.  This year I went from an X2 Hot to a Cobra Fly-Z+.  Found the Cobra on eBay for about $70 shipped and it was in excellent condition.  Look at the two year old MGS most wanted driver list and look for the best bargains.  You can get a lot of technology for not that much money.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I play a Taylormade R1(6-7years old)?

Was in Myrtle beach PGA superstore decided to hit the M1. Destroyed it. Swing speed avg. 118, launch 12.2, 2,200 rotation ( guy was talking gibberish to me. Had a buddy that new what he was talking about) was hitting right at 300 couple under couple over.

Fitter guy said what's wrong with that while he hands me the exact club I was hitting new to buy. Said I hit my R1 the same way. Said no way , went to my car got my R1 out and spot on exact.

I would love to pick up 5-10 more yards but I don't think that comes from a new club.

My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Ok, I am still playing with the TaylorMade R9 SuperDeep TP that I got on June 1st, 2010. I know that there had been testing done that shows that the ball speeds on drivers of this era are comparable to the hot new stuff of today. That is regulated by USGA and R&A rules. The improvements in the past 7 years have to do with spin and launch conditions. If your 2010 era driver is a perfect fit for launch...  High LA, and low Spin, there is Very little improvement to be had by purchasing a new club..... If you hit the center of the club..  When I am swinging well, there is no discernible gain to be had by switching to something new.  Believe me. I try EVERYTHING.  EVERY YEAR.  

• Like 2

Driver - :taylormade-small:   SIM2 Max 9° Tour MT 6-S   or   :srixon-small: ZX 7 9.5° Ventus VeloCore Blue S
Fairway - :srixon-small: ZX  3 wd. Ventus VeloCore Blue S

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

One of my friends who will turn 70 this year has tried many of the newer offerings. NOTHING touches his Cleveland Launcher... NOTHING! He still pounds the Launcher like a skilled carpenter on a virgin nail [emoji378].

• Like 5

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway  Max 6 - PW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 50 & 54 Degree Wedge
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Evnroll 
 ER2 Putter

I picked up a used TaylorMade SLDR for $110 and I can say that I did begin immediately begin hitting the ball further on average, although I do find it a little harder to keep in play (the shaft is longer in the SLDR). .

I also picked one up. Do you notice it has a higher ping/click sound.. Maybe its me playing a M1 & ZL Encore that are different material & have a more muted sound

Sent from my SM-N910V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

New Tech has been shown on MGS and other places to outperform old tech (think 5 or more years old).

That being said, play what you are comfortable with and helps you enjoy the game the most

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:EVNROLL: ER1v #CustomER

:titelist-small: ProV1

... If you are fit with the right shaft and head, maximizing spin and carry, I think it is extremely difficult to find more yards in a new driver. That said, it is still possible. After years of little to no gain in distance I gained 10-15 yards with the SLDR. First low spin head that launched high enough for me to gain the benefits of that technology. A few years later I added the Fly Z that had a hair more spin but was much more accurate and produced a little more carry. I imagine my best drives with both drivers would be the same, but I consistently hit the Z longer than the SLDR. And consistent distance is better than longest drive every time.

... I never know when the next technical break thru will happen for my swing, but I have no doubt it will happen. So I hit everything every year and my 2 yr old Fly Z is still safe. For now. 

• Like 5

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Going to that demo day on Tuesday. Looking to test the F7+ vs Ping G LSTEC vs 917 D3

Cobra F6 here, and I love it - not sure if the F7 would be worth the $$$ for me to upgrade.

http://www.instagram.com/libertyballmarkers

http://www.ebay.com/usr/libertyballmarkers

• Like 1