New vs old drivers

Our Sponsors

I wonder if we compensate in our swings at all for our current equipment. I have a Nike Ignite 460 and nothing has beat it yet wonder if over time I have made subtle changes to my swing to allow for a gods shot

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The new ones seem to slice just as good for me as the old ones did

Thanks for starting this thread because it reminds me to put in my request that MGS grab up some drivers from the past 10 years and tests them head to head.   I would love to see the results of that

I have a staff bag at home with some nostalgic drivers- 976r, 975d, 975j, 975jvs, LFE, 983e, k, 905r, s, t, 300ti, isi tec, and great big bertha.   If I ever get free time and can try and do a Track

Primary weapon is a Callaway Razr Hawk driver, occasionally I dig out the Mizuno Blue Rage driver. But, for the most part, I prefer the Razr Hawk.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Love trying new equipment and staying informed of current trends and developments.  Over the years, I have owned Callaway, Ping, Mizuno, Srixon, Cobra, Adams, Orlimar, Snake Eyes, Cleveland, Wilson/Staff, Lynx, Ram, and Dunlop.  Belong to a golf league at my workplace, am an alternate for another golf league, and spend my free time golfing with my wife, (who is also on a golf league!), or with other friends. 

Callaway RazrX irons, 6-P, standard loft, regular flex

Callaway RazrHawk Fairway Woods 3, 5, 7, regular flex

Callaway Big Bertha Fairway Wood 9, regular flex

Callaway Xhot Driver, 10.5, regular flex

Cleveland RTX Wedges, 56* 60*, standard loft, regular flex

Cleveland TFi 6.5 Putter
Right Handed

Madison, WI

18 Handicap

• 2 weeks later...

I switched to a 2015 Nike Vapor Flex with a Diamana blue 60s+ shaft gained about 30 yards of carry with that combination. Its a smaller head but it works really well. I think one of the biggest things is the shaft has to be optimal for you and the head in the correct settings for your swing speed and tempo.

• Like 1

Alfred

WITB:

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex, 9.5 Degrees

FW: Cobra F7, 14.5 Degrees

Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 19 Degrees

UT Iron: Callaway Apex UT 18 Degrees

Irons: 4-6i King Cobra LTD Pro CB

Irons: 7-PW King Cobra LTD Pro MB

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3 50 MG, 58 FG

Putter: Nike Method

I switched to a 2015 Nike Vapor Flex with a Diamana blue 60s+ shaft gained about 30 yards of carry with that combination. Its a smaller head but it works really well. I think one of the biggest things is the shaft has to be optimal for you and the head in the correct settings for your swing speed and tempo.

Wow. So total distance gained is something like maybe 60 yards!!

I still play my 2014 SLDR. I've tried to change (just because) but can't do it. It's been too damn consistent and reliable. Although I do like the Epic and might... might consider one next year or whenever Callaway puts out a newer model. I refuse to pay for a new current year model when a last year model is the same.

• Like 1

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Primary weapon is a Callaway Razr Hawk driver, occasionally I dig out the Mizuno Blue Rage driver. But, for the most part, I prefer the Razr Hawk.

I picked up a slightly used Callaway XHot driver. WOW! Much better than the Razr Hawk!

Love trying new equipment and staying informed of current trends and developments.  Over the years, I have owned Callaway, Ping, Mizuno, Srixon, Cobra, Adams, Orlimar, Snake Eyes, Cleveland, Wilson/Staff, Lynx, Ram, and Dunlop.  Belong to a golf league at my workplace, am an alternate for another golf league, and spend my free time golfing with my wife, (who is also on a golf league!), or with other friends. 

Callaway RazrX irons, 6-P, standard loft, regular flex

Callaway RazrHawk Fairway Woods 3, 5, 7, regular flex

Callaway Big Bertha Fairway Wood 9, regular flex

Callaway Xhot Driver, 10.5, regular flex

Cleveland RTX Wedges, 56* 60*, standard loft, regular flex

Cleveland TFi 6.5 Putter
Right Handed

Madison, WI

18 Handicap

I used the super old TaylorMade R7 Superquad for quite a while. Loved it! I did just get the M1 because the Superquad had a rather large fracture in it...

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I switched from an old 2007 Big Bertha Driver to a 2014 Big Bertha with a lot larger head.  I definitely prefer the newer club.  That oversized head is a lot more forgiving and hits the ball farther.  I have the old 2007 3 wood as well.  I wonder if upgrading that to a newer version would give the same improvement?  It seems that more research and development goes into drivers than fairway woods.  If you have any insight into this, please give a shout.

Mizuno JPX EZ driver

Taylormade SLDR HL 3 wood

Mizuno JPX EZ hybrids 3 & 4

Mizuno JPX EZ Irons 4-G

Titleist SM6 Vokey wedge 54.10

Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line putter

Fairway woods have come a long way in ten years...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I switched from an old 2007 Big Bertha Driver to a 2014 Big Bertha with a lot larger head.  I definitely prefer the newer club.  That oversized head is a lot more forgiving and hits the ball farther.  I have the old 2007 3 wood as well.  I wonder if upgrading that to a newer version would give the same improvement?  It seems that more research and development goes into drivers than fairway woods.  If you have any insight into this, please give a shout.

They'll be more forgiving for sure. You'll get more distance and less dispersion off your mis-hits, but you'll probably see similar distances on pured shots.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore X F3 5S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue 75S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1, 34.5", BGT Stability Tour, 71* lie angle, Press II 3* Grip

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Newer fairways are alot easier to get off the deck, imo.

• Like 1

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Thanks for the input on fairway woods.  I guess I will start looking to upgrade it as well.

Mizuno JPX EZ driver

Taylormade SLDR HL 3 wood

Mizuno JPX EZ hybrids 3 & 4

Mizuno JPX EZ Irons 4-G

Titleist SM6 Vokey wedge 54.10

Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line putter

Thanks for the input on fairway woods.  I guess I will start looking to upgrade it as well.

Callaway pre-owned is having a pretty crazy sale on their XR16 fairway woods. 25% off until next week. Like new came out to $119 + shipping.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore X F3 5S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue 75S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1, 34.5", BGT Stability Tour, 71* lie angle, Press II 3* Grip

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone else see Rick Shiels video comparing 5 years of Callaway drivers? One for from each year 2012-2017. Very interesting video and I won't spoil the results for those who haven't watched it, but definitely made me second guess the epic. I've certainly found success in the past using my slightly older cobra driver and have a hard time taking it out of the bag for any length of time.

• Like 3

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

I've came to the conclusion that I'm a better player without a driver. I can't stop myself from swinging 120% and bad stuff happens. I'd rather stripe a 3 iron and play from the fairway. I gamed my "moms" old 11° 42" Shaft driver 2 summers ago. Ripped that thing. Seriously considering going with a 43" driver 41" 3 wood, and 1 iron - PW and wedges.

• Like 1

I'm using the first generation Callaway XR, still get good results from it.

• Like 1

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I am using a GBB DBD, but have always thought that my Razr Fit was as good or better.  They just had to change hosel adapter, to prevent me doing a comparison with the same shaft.  Really interested in any testing that compares those two heads, even through the GBB non DBD.

• Like 1

Callaway GBB Epic w Fujikura Pro 63

Nickent 3DX DC 2 & 3 hybrids

Ping i210, 5 - P

Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 56 & 60

I mostly buy played clubs on eBay so I'm constantly 2-3 years behind the current trend. That being said, I couldn't imagine going back to a 5-10 year old driver. The impact sound of those older clubs just make me cringe. I read an article recently about how the club manufacturers invest millions in the acoustics and it really makes a difference in my mind. No one wants to hit a club that sounds cheaply made regardless of performance.

Here's the link for those interested: http://www.popsci.com/amp/golf-club-sound-engineering

• Like 1

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Did anyone else see Rick Shiels video comparing 5 years of Callaway drivers? One for from each year 2012-2017. Very interesting video and I won't spoil the results for those who haven't watched it, but definitely made me second guess the epic. I've certainly found success in the past using my slightly older cobra driver and have a hard time taking it out of the bag for any length of time.

I saw it this afternoon and I was quite surprised with the results. I have the RAZR fit (2012 model he used)

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I was playing with a Callaway FT(I) for a while, but it recently broke.  Hit a ball flush, but the top just imploded and there's a crack running through the top now.

I'm currently looking into getting a new driver, and as much as I would love a brand new driver, I am thinking I am getting a used new (old) driver. I'm not good enough to need whatever benefit may come from a brand new driver, and will just put the difference towards some lessons.

I'm open to hearing everyone's recommendations if they have any, I am seeing a lot of these drivers for fair prices.  Anyone have strong opinions on any of these to focus on or avoid?

High Handicapper

110-113 Swing speed.

Titleist 915 D2/3

Cobra F6+/F6

Callaway GBB

Callaway XR & XR16

Taylormade R15

Ping I25

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M