New vs old drivers

Justin H

Or perhaps; "dance with the one that brung ya". :)

Lol...that's the West Texas version........ :D

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

Last year I used various drivers, depending on course type and weather.

Used a titleist 905T (10.5 nv65), Nike Vr Tour (10.5 project x blue 6.0)

Longest stint in the bag and most reliable was a Nike Sq sumo round (9.5 UST tourflight purple stiff).

Vr was longest but only by 3-4 yrds compared to sq sumo. 905t was most accurate, but about 7-8 yds. than vr.

Shafts and loft come into play, but for me so does strike. Tried a XR pro 9.0 rogue silver and high or low middle strikes, wouldn't work for me. Also experiment with mini driver (975j 9.5 ust purple 65). Decent club on center, but lost chunks of yds on dispersion.

Currently settled on ping g30 10.5 tour 60. Feels way easier to launch with right amount of spin, and is a fairway finder.

In summation, for me older drivers work when on, but on off days end up in scrupulous areas, so cig placement is key, tied to loft, but most important is strike/forgiveness with off center yardage.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2021
Driver: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 9* w/ C.Kua Stiff

FW: Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 15* w/ C.Kua Stiff

HY: Cleveland Launcher Halo 19* w/ C.Kua Stiff 

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW w/ KBS 90 Stiff

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*,60*

Putter: Never Compromise MIlled #4 OR Huntington Beach #2

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1/V1x OR TP5 

Bag: Sun Mountain 2019 4.5 14way carry

Clothes: Nike OR Under Armour 

Initial impressions: 2014 SLDR vs. 2015 Fly-Z+

As some of you know I've recently purchased a new driver to test out. It's brand new but old. A 2015 Cobra Flyz+. Yesterday before I played I took it out on the practice tee and after warming up a bit I pulled the FZ+. Granted I didn't have much time before our game to really test it much but my initial thought was positive. The FZ+ is set at 11.5* loft and the flip-zone weight at the rear. I proceeded to hit perhaps 5-6 balls. My ball flight was slightly lower than I'm accustomed to and distance seemed good. However, I was hitting most of these shots slightly to the right. The FZ+ also felt a bit heavier which I guess should be expected since it's got a 65g shaft vs. the SLDR with a 57g shaft. The SLDR head is also lofted higher. It's marked as a 14* head and I have it set at about 12* with a slight draw bias in the sliding weight track. I proceeded to the first tee with the SLDR in my bag and drove the ball most of the day.

I'd like to take my SLDR (and FZ+) by a shop and have the clubs measured for weight and loft, etc. to use as a baseline. Maybe later today or over the weekend I'll have another opportunity to work with the FZ+ some more. I have a friend that owns a Golf Headquarters so I might also be able to get a couple of shafts to test.

I think this will be an interesting experiment. Besides the shaft I suspect the differences in loft of the SLDR vs. FZ+ is going to be big factor in this exercise.

• Like 1

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

... I have been going to the PGA Show for the last 13 years and play a new driver every season, mostly because I write reviews. Many years I have chosen a Best New Driver that has a different look or sound/feel or less spin or a different trajectory yet more often than not, no performance increase. However a few years I did find a performance increase with the SLDR, Fly Z and Epic among them. Had I not been interested in trying all the new drivers, I never would have discovered these performance increases for my swing.

... And one thing I always take exception to is that golfers do not need a new driver every year. Because many will need a new driver in 2018 for a myriad of reasons. They have not upgraded in 5 years or more. New stock shafts will make a big difference for them. They have improved and need a new driver that matches their swing. They have aged or practice/play less and need a new driver that matches their swing.

... I think every golfer should demo new divers every year. But I also think most will not find something better than what they are currently playing IF they were properly fit with their current driver. I gotta admit I love marketing and it gives you reasons why there may be an improvement for your particular game. Obviously you need to read between the lines as you do with any product being marketed and a "more forgiving driver that increases launch that is longer and straighter" will appeal to a different player than "solid low spin driver with a lower launch that is longer and straighter". Ignore the longer and straighter as every new driver touts this and concentrate on the characteristics that do apply to your swing. And I agree with you that nobody should fork over hundreds of dollars for a driver than may or may not add 5 yds if they have not demoed one with shafts that fit their swing.

... All that said, if you have something that is working for you I also get not even bothering with demoing new drivers. Drivers have been so good the last 5 years it is tough to find a substantial increase or any increase in performance depending on your swing and abilities. Some are willing to pay for 5 more yards and some are not. I could still be playing my 4 year old Fly Z and be very happy yet look forward to demoing the F8 and Rogue this year. Different strokes and all.

I'm in this boat. I have been to the same demo day for four years straight. All of the major OEMs have their tents and I go through “fittings” with all of the stock options. It's fun, and a great way to see if something DOES provide an improvement. Most times I walk away and don't purchase, sometimes I do find a better driver.

Last year, the Epic was enough of an improvement for me to switch. Then, my KZG blew away the Epic.. How would I have known this had I not gone through fittings? Demo days are free and you get to see firsthand all of the new offerings from Driver to putter. I say why not? If the “stock” shafts don't work perfectly, but you leave intrigued, one can then go to a true fitter and see if a shaft change makes the club come alive.

It's easy to say, “Nothing can beat my——,” but never actually put the claim to the test. Is that any different than an OEM saying, “Nothing can beat our ——,” yet never put it to the test????

• Like 3

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Initial impressions: 2014 SLDR vs. 2015 Fly-Z+

As some of you know I've recently purchased a new driver to test out. It's brand new but old. A 2015 Cobra Flyz+. Yesterday before I played I took it out on the practice tee and after warming up a bit I pulled the FZ+. Granted I didn't have much time before our game to really test it much but my initial thought was positive. The FZ+ is set at 11.5* loft and the flip-zone weight at the rear. I proceeded to hit perhaps 5-6 balls. My ball flight was slightly lower than I'm accustomed to and distance seemed good. However, I was hitting most of these shots slightly to the right. The FZ+ also felt a bit heavier which I guess should be expected since it's got a 65g shaft vs. the SLDR with a 57g shaft. The SLDR head is also lofted higher. It's marked as a 14* head and I have it set at about 12* with a slight draw bias in the sliding weight track. I proceeded to the first tee with the SLDR in my bag and drove the ball most of the day.

I'd like to take my SLDR (and FZ+) by a shop and have the clubs measured for weight and loft, etc. to use as a baseline. Maybe later today or over the weekend I'll have another opportunity to work with the FZ+ some more. I have a friend that owns a Golf Headquarters so I might also be able to get a couple of shafts to test.

I think this will be an interesting experiment. Besides the shaft I suspect the differences in loft of the SLDR vs. FZ+ is going to be big factor in this exercise.

... Good stuff Plaid and I look forward to your follow up. I am not sure you will find much difference between the two or the kind of difference you may find with the non + Fly Z vs the SLDR but it should be interesting. It was no coincidence many Pro's kept the SLDR in their bag for several years, Freddie and DLIII come to mind. I did not find the Z+ to be much more forgiving or longer than my SLDR but have read others that raved about the Z+. I think if you find someone with similar swing characteristics you can get an idea of how a club may work for you but everyone is different and sometimes a club just clicks. Hopefully that is the case with the Z+. Good luck in your testing! 

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

• 3 months later...

My two gamer drivers are an X2Hot cut to 44" and a 45" Aeroburner but I visit Calgary often and play out there as well and was there last month so I thought I'd scour the used ads on Kijiji to see what I could find.  With two feet of snow on the ground I thought I'd pick up something cheap and used just to hit some balls in one of the local domes.  I found a guy selling 14 clubs including a full set of Titleist DCI 962 irons and a Titleist 905S and a couple of oddball 3 woods and a 5 wood for the grand total of $75.  Expectations were low but I hit the clubs beautifully.  Faces were in great shape for their age, not looking any different than my own 4 year old Adams irons.   I scoured the internetz for info on the driver and supposedly it was low launching and made for more "serious" golfers, aka not me.  It did launch low but I hit it very well and as consistent as my newer driver and really liked the look of the slightly smaller head.   I hit them so well I think I'm going to leave my game bag at home next time I head out west in August and just play those clubs and save the cost and hassle of transporting my game bag across the country.  Just need to bring some Pure grips with me and make a quick change in the garage and I'm good to go!

Now that Cleveland has brought back a version of the HiBore, I really want to get a chance to try it out. I had one of the original HiBores and it was maybe the best performing driver I've ever owned. I'm on my third driver since giving it up (2015 M2) and I'm seriously considering another change.

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Now that Cleveland has brought back a version of the HiBore, I really want to get a chance to try it out. I had one of the original HiBores and it was maybe the best performing driver I've ever owned. I'm on my third driver since giving it up (2015 M2) and I'm seriously considering another change.

Well you're in luck. (sort of) I was selected to test and rank the new Cleveland driver by they kind folks here. My current driver is the same as your M2. So while our games could be different I will hopefully be able to give you a good idea of what you can expect between the two drivers. Please feel free to PM me any questions or test requests and I'll see what I can make happen.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've still got an F6 in the bag and it suits me fine. I hit it against an F7 and didn't notice much difference at all. Maybe the F8 would give me a few more yards, but I'm confident with it in the bag. Why mess with that?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

I've still got an F6 in the bag and it suits me fine. I hit it against an F7 and didn't notice much difference at all. Maybe the F8 would give me a few more yards, but I'm confident with it in the bag. Why mess with that?

... This is squarely in the two schools of thought when it comes to golf clubs. Some will always demo and give serious consideration to the new clubs that come out, comparing them to what they play and deciding whether or not they should move to the new club. Some will make the move for a few extra yards. Some want to see at least 5 more yards and others even more. Of course some (like myself) will make the move just for a new look, feel or sound as long as the performance is equal to or greater than what they are playing.

... That said, it is very difficult to counter " I'm confident with it in the bag" because in the end, that is really all that matters. I too liked the F6 more than the F7. But for several reasons I am playing the F8, including the milled face, Arccos and the carbon crown. But I could put my F6 back in the bag and be perfectly happy. 

• Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Well you're in luck. (sort of) I was selected to test and rank the new Cleveland driver by they kind folks here. My current driver is the same as your M2. So while our games could be different I will hopefully be able to give you a good idea of what you can expect between the two drivers. Please feel free to PM me any questions or test requests and I'll see what I can make happen.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Great!! I'll definitely keep an eye on the test and your feedback. I'm interested to see everyone's take on one of the few non-adjustable drivers to hit the market from a major brand. If you finish the test cycle and hate it, I might know a guy....

Happy testing  :)

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread.  I suppose we might have to qualify what is "old drivers"?  In my case, I just upgraded this past winter from a GBB to a Callaway Razr-Fit. For a number of years, my playing partners kept urging me to upgrade my driver.  It's not that I couldn't hit the GBB well, but they were certain that I would hit a more modern driver better.  I was dubious and did not want to me a fish on the marketing guy's hook. 

But I must say that the change has been positive.  My average distance is about 20-30 yards further and the forgiveness an additional 200 cc's of surface area provides is notable. Perhaps even more important is that I have increased confidence off the tee.  I only wish I had upgraded years earlier.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)