TESTERS WANTED! ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - MLA PUTTERS

JBones

I love how that putter looks after the Photoshopping. I was thinking about that a few times myself. Looking at your picture it almost looks as if the aim gets even easier. Not to mention it would be easier to get in and out of that putter cover

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 13 Degree
3 Wood:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 15 Degree
5 Wood:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 18 Degree
4th:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 22 Degree
5-P  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4
Gap:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Sand:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Lob:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Putter: Directed Force "Reno" Putter

I love how that putter looks after the Photoshopping. I was thinking about that a few times myself. Looking at your picture it almost looks as if the aim gets even easier. Not to mention it would be easier to get in and out of that putter cover

Yes!!! The putter cover. I completely forgot about it.

It's so hard to put on one-handed... perhaps if they just use 1 magnet?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

My Stage 2 is up, unfortunately my computer is not letting insert the graph & pics in between different sections where I wanted them.  So for now they are all at the end.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

Yes!!! The putter cover. I completely forgot about it.

It's so hard to put on one-handed... perhaps if they just use 1 magnet?

Yeah, one magnet would be great, along with widening the cover itself. It was impossible too stuff that thing in one handed.

My thoughts exactly, 1 magnet and a little wider would be perfect.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

Yeah, one magnet would be great, along with widening the cover itself. It was impossible too stuff that thing in one handed.

Finally got the chance to watch the whole video. Pretty cool and fun way to do a review! Like!

I think we agreed on everything except the distance control part.

What score would you give the putter?

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

Thank you! I have already started making my third video and I'll be I will be doing my scoring in stage three :)

Stage 2 posted

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Stage Three - The Follow Up & Value Question.

Hey guys, my final review and follow up of the MLA Putter.

First off, I must say that I came in to this whole review process knowing that I wanted to be as fair and honest about my findings as I could be. I believe that I have been too. I really enjoyed the whole process and this being my first time doing any kind of review has been a learning experience. I look forward to the opportunity to do more in the future and I know that my reviews will get better and better and include more pictures, videos and graphs.

1. Will this product go in your bag?

Most definitely, I fell madly in love with this putter. From looks to use, it is probably the best putter that I personally have ever tried. I have owned quite a few over the years too. At this moment, including the MLA, I have 5 putters in my garage.

2. To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this product?

Everyone! In my opinion; if you ever get a chance to test one do it! If you can afford one, buy it!

3. How, if at all, did this product change your overall impression of MLA?

Honestly, prior to this test I had never heard of MLA. I'm not sure how long they have even been around. But, I have a new found love for MLA and their putters especially the Multi Line-detector Activation. I don't understand how or why it works but, it does. I have never had an easier time lining up my putts, it just seems effortless now.

4. What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

First, would be the option for more grip sizes. Even though I really like the midsize grip on the putter, I would really prefer a jumbo grip. Or at least, about a 2.0 or 3.0 Super Stroke in MLA Graphics and colors. I know some company's (Like Odyssey and Ping) are using Super Stroke grips now with their own logos. Second, the head cover. Even though I love, love, love the looks of the cover, it is just a little tight and hard to get on and off on the Tour Classic model. Maybe just a little bit wider and only 1 magnet in it would be perfect.

5. What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

The putter itself, I would not change a thing. Like I have said over and over again, I love this putter. The alignment aid works, I don't know how, but it does. The feel of the ball coming off the face feels and sounds good, the adjustable weighting is awesome and look is beautiful.

One final huge thank you to MLA and MGS for allowing me the honor of testing and reviewing the MLA Tour Classic Putter.

Thank you all and I hope you enjoyed my review.

RexS

I'm going to give it a few more rounds before posting my stage 3. Our greens are now rolling really well, with good speed and consistency. My thoughts are getting more and more positive.

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

• 4 weeks later...

My stage 3 is now posted.

Great fun reviewing this putter, now I know I need to review my putting stroke to get rid of the pulls!

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

Here is a teaser while you wait for me to finish editing my next video.

HERE IT IS! STAGE 2.

If you slide it in from the bottom (that's what she said) it works much better.

Reviewed my stroke, and really reduced grip pressure. Putted very well, only hit one bad stroke, made a couple of longish putts, and no 3 putts. I focussed on "seeing" the alignment stripe following the line I wanted and it worked well. Starting to really love this putter.

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

Seems to be a pretty effective putter. How much altering can they do lie angle wise. I have a terrible stance when putting and hold my hands LOW this requires me to get it flattened by 3-4 degrees. Would they be able to do this

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

Seems like they're pretty responsive to customers, maybe contact them and ask.

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've finally worked out YouTube, here's a putt I videoed while doing the review.

https://youtu.be/2SHGoZ7_Bsc

Still loving this putter. I get a lot of questions about it, and always hand it over for people to hit a couple of putts. Everyone loves the feel off the face.

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

• 6 months later...

Thanks to Peaksy for sharing the link. I didn't realize MLA has 2 tests on this forum. It was really cool to see thoughts on the other models besides X-Dream.

Any of you guys still got the MLA in your bag?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Stage 3

Will the MLA Tour Mallet go in my bag? Most definitely, the balance, feel and consistency off the face off the putter are all great.

I would recommend this putter to anyone whose stroke is suited to a face balanced putter. Sure they aren't cheap, but I firmly believe they sit well when compared to other putters in the same price range that I've tried.

This was my first exposure to MLA, and without MGS I would never have even heard of them, let alone get achance to use their equipment. I am really impressed with the quality of this putter, across the board. Everyone who I've shown it to have also been impressed.

The only thing I would look at changing is different colour and grip size options, which it seems they are already offering.

I would love to see them continue to make such beautifully balanced putters, it really is amazing how well balanced this putter is.

Have I mention that I love how well balanced this putter is?

Thanks again to MGS for the opportunity to review this putter, I've really enjoyed the process, and hope that others can benefit from this review.

Peaksey,

Thanks for the great review- your clear and articulate description of the putter, feel, action of the ball and success are exactly what I need to hear before dropping 300 for a putter. 

Great to hear that you get a hat with the putter- how about those pants?  do they come with it too??? Awesome looking!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Subjective

Looks

Overall, the graphics are not too loud and I really like the combination of lime and black.
I remember a couple of years ago, the MoM @ MGS would get a huge prize package. One of the goodies was a Bettinardi (forgot which model) with lime paint-fill. I instantly fell in love with that putter, but never saw it again.
The MLA Tour Classic reminds me of that putter. It's not as sexy, but good enough for someone who is not a collector or putter aficionado.
To me, that Bettinardi was the Amanda Dufner of putters and I would have given it 20 points without hesitation. The MLA Tour Classic is more like… I don't know… Lexi Thompson?

attachicon.gifdufnerthompson.jpg

Great reporting- really appreciate the detail and data- the sound, feel and looks are all important, but performance is top dog in my humble opinion!

Remind me again who accompanies the purchase of the Tour Mallet - Amanda or Lexi???

Thanks again

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Putter MLA Pro Classic

I'll take Amanda over Lexi any day! lOl

I would accept lessons (golf or otherwise) from either or them. yes, I know Amanda is not an LPGA professional- not an issue!

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

Thanks to Peaksy for sharing the link. I didn't realize MLA has 2 tests on this forum. It was really cool to see thoughts on the other models besides X-Dream.

Any of you guys still got the MLA in your bag?

Still in my bag, and will take something very special to move it.

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

I have my MLA Tour Classic from the original test plus, I just got the MLA Pro Xdream in yesterdsy. It's a nice putter, can't wait to try it this weekend.

Can't wait til Saturday to test the putter, gonna head on over to the Fort Lee Putting Green here at lunch time today. 2 minutes from the office...:) 

• 1 month later...

So I've been tooling around with mine a bunch and played one round with it. I think the Forward grip has got to go. For me, there's 2 problems:

1) The triangle shape leaves my ring and pinky fingers of my left hand off the club or reaching for it

2) The putter head feels really heavy.

I ordered a Super Stroke Slim 3.0 and I think this will solve both problems. Don't get me wrong, the Forward grip is a really nice grip. It feels amazing, looks fantastic with the MLA logo, and has a unique shape...... But it won't work for me.

No big deal though because the head and alignment still feel like money in the bank. I just think the new grip will straighten my stroke out.

Once it warms up and the greens come back, I'll pick my putter test back up and get some results for the Tour Classic.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Stage 2

I believe I covered the most relevant aspects about my golf game and what's in my bag in Stage 1. If there is anything else I missed, please feel free to let me know. So let's move on to the data!

Performance

Performance at the Range

Since I was testing this putter alone, I couldn't apply the Strokes Gained 18 method that MGS uses for the Most Wanted. So… I just did a 1-on-1 shootout between my current gamer and the MLA.

What I really wanted to test was the effectiveness of the patented aiming technology. So I tried to eliminate breaks as much as possible and sought for the flattest area of the putting green. I placed 8 tees around the hole with a 3m (9.8ft) radius and proceeded to putt 5 balls from each tee with the MLA and 5 balls with my current gamer. I alternated between tee positions and putters to avoid getting too familiar with the line.

I repeated the same test from 6m (19.6ft) and 12m (39.3ft).

Ball used for this test was the TaylorMade Penta TP5 and it came down to a stupefying total of 240 balls putted and 450 putts. The tests were performed under similar weather conditions and within a 3-day period to factor out fatigue.

attachicon.gifg800.jpg

Total number of putts

attachicon.giftotalputts.JPG

Here you can see the total number of putts per distance. For the shorter distances, where distance control is not critical, the MLA was superior. It was easier to aim and a soft, controlled stroke was enough to bring the ball into the hole. I had difficulties with the longest putts. The head is definitely heavier, but I wasn't able to feel the acceleration through the ball; it felt as if the energy wasn't being transferred properly to the ball, so I ended up leaving a lot of putts too short. This didn't happen with my gamer.

Total number of 1, 2 and 3-putts

attachicon.gif123putts.JPG

This is the total amount of 1, 2 and 3-putts for all distances together. Again, the MLA exceled at short-range putts. The aiming aid, the bigger grip, the heavier head all do wonders to steady your hands and softly do a SBST stroke. The missing energy-transfer described above was also the cause of the 3-putts.

Range Score: 17 out of 20 points

Performance on the Course

As mentioned before, I average about 31 putts per round. I played 4 full rounds with the MLA and here are my results.

First round using the MLA, tied my personal best of 83 with only 30 putts needed. I just read the breaks, stood over the ball and fired away in order to test the aiming technology. As you all know, the line of sight when you stand behind the ball and over the ball are not always the same. In this case, I let the aiming aid point to the line I had read before and purposely didn't use the alignment on the ball. I was extremely pleased with the results as the putting line at address coincided with my read.

attachicon.gifscorecard.jpg

My 2nd round was the completely opposite. I'll spare you shame of looking at the scorecard (barely broke 100). The critical misses were slices off the tee that ended up OB. I had 31 putts plus 2 holes I didn't record, so we can assume it would have been around 35-36 putts. To my defense, the conditions changed drastically a couple of times during the round: started the day with slow humid greens (17C or 62F for my American friends), then turned into “normal” speeds; then baked by the scorching sun around noon (33C / 91F) and 90% humidity to finish with a refreshing thunderstorm. It was a competitive round and the flight in front of us had 2 holes free in front of them, so the 5 hour round and heat didn't help either. Accuracy was not an issue as the ball was rolling on the intended line, but distance control and speed were way off due to the unstable weather conditions.

Rounds 3 and 4 were both high 80's with 29 and 28 putts respectively. To be fair, my GIR's were very low. 70% of my approach shots didn't make it to the green, but a well-placed chip or pitch made the first putt easier and definitely contributed to the fewer putts. This reflects the results seen on the practice green: the MLA is very sharp on short putts, but lacks distance control on longer ones.

One thing I didn't notice on the practice green, but did notice on the course was that the MLA is less forgiving than my current gamer. Mishits were definitely more pronounced.

attachicon.gifb800.jpg

Course Score: 17 out of 20 points

Performance Summary

The MLA exceeded my expectations. The aiming system does assist in visualizing the putting line when standing over the ball. I, personally, no longer have to use the alignment lines on the ball to line up a putt.

I'm not sure how much the face balance affected the outcome, but on paper, it should be more suitable to my SBST putting stroke, so this could have also contributed to the better score over the Yes! Ann. The bigger grip and heavier head were also helpful in quieting down my hands.

The only drawback is the lack of distance control I experienced. Remember in Stage 1 when I mentioned why I didn't like mallet style putters? This is exactly the reason.

If I had to compare it to my Yes! Ann, I would rate the MLA better for short putts, but worse on long putts. Results both on the practice green concurred with the findings on the course.

Improvement suggestions: perhaps a more Anser-style design that provides better distance control (either by using a lighter head or keep the same heavy head with a counter-balanced grip). Would perimeter weighting improve mishits?

attachicon.gifc800.jpg

Subjective

Looks

The MLA Tour Classic is a blade-style putter with a wider body (bordering on midsize mallet) with matte black finish and the white patented aiming technology on the top. The bottom consists of a glossy black finish with lime and white paint-fill as well as 2 weight slots.

attachicon.gifh800.jpg

attachicon.gife800.jpg

It took some time for my eyes to settle on the half-shaft offset, as the Ann I use has a full offset.

Grip is a Winn Midsize Pistol with the same lime and white graphics on a black background.

attachicon.gifa800.jpg

Overall, the graphics are not too loud and I really like the combination of lime and black.

I remember a couple of years ago, the MoM @ MGS would get a huge prize package. One of the goodies was a Bettinardi (forgot which model) with lime paint-fill. I instantly fell in love with that putter, but never saw it again.

The MLA Tour Classic reminds me of that putter. It's not as sexy, but good enough for someone who is not a collector or putter aficionado.

To me, that Bettinardi was the Amanda Dufner of putters and I would have given it 20 points without hesitation. The MLA Tour Classic is more like… I don't know… Lexi Thompson?

attachicon.gifdufnerthompson.jpg

However, I would shave a point for 2 things:

1. I would have preferred a more traditional and slimmer Anser-style head. Is the thicker chunk behind the head really necessary to achieve the visual effect of the aiming technology? As you can see, the aiming technology doesn't extend all the way back. What would happen if we just cut it off? Here the photoshopped MLA:

I personally like it more.

attachicon.giftopviewmodified.jpg

2. My experience with black finishes is that they are not that durable and after a few seasons in the bag, you'll start to see wear patterns. That's fine on a wedge and irons, but a putter should remain pristine. Only time will tell how long this will hold.

On the other hand, perhaps the color is necessary to create enough contrast with the aiming technology? If that's the case, then there is no way around it.

Since these details could be performance related, I'll only deduct 0.5 points each.

Looks Score: 16 out of 20

Sound and Feel

The MLA has a crispier sound compared to the putters I've used in the past. My Yes! Ann is almost muted when compared to it. Here is a recording of the MLA striking a TM Penta TP5 on my indoor putting mat.

You can download the sound file

attachicon.gifMLA sound.mp3

Or listen here

Well struck putts feel good and the balls rolls nicely. Mishits on the other hand are more pronounced. You can definitely tell and feel the difference.

I don't have any experiences with premium offerings, so I can't do a comparison, but you can definitely notice more “meat” and substance off the face.

Sound and Feel Score: 18 out of 20 points

Likelihood of Purchase

Would I spend the cash to buy this putter? Honestly speaking, probably not. Don't get me wrong, the flat stick is nice and the aiming technology works as advertised. It's just that I am satisfied with my short game and I have full distance control with my current gamer. The MLA outperformed my gamer by a small margin. I'm guessing if I add a midsize grip to my Yes! then the results would be even closer.

So if you are like my wife (who has zero sense of dimensionality) and need some help with your aiming or if you suffer from the yips and can't make those 2-3 footers? This is the putter to use!

attachicon.giff800.jpg

LOP Score: 15 out of 20 points

Subjective Summary

Overall, a decent looking putter. It won't win a beauty contest, but who cares if it's helping you sink more putts?

Sound and feel can hold their own ground and unless you mishit the putter as often as you mishit your irons, you won't need extra forgiveness.

attachicon.gifd800.jpg

Total Score: 83 out of 100 points

I bought an MLA Pro xDream over the holidays using the MGS discount. Haven't had any opportunity to really try it yet, but am reading all the reviews. I really appreciated your honest review & obviously the work done. Well played, sir!!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Archived