Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Newbie from Houston

A couple of weeks ago, my wife's grandfather was kind enough to give an old set he wasn't using anymore..I've always wanted to learn but my family has zero golf knowledge. 

I've been to the range 4 times and feel just a little bit more confident and comfortable with a club in my hand. My first lesson is this coming Friday with the PGA professional at the local TopGolf. 

I hope to get a few more lessons under my belt before I I hack my way across 18 holes. 

I'm open to hear any recommendations you may have for a golf instructor in the West Houston Area. I'm only going to TopGolf for a lesson because I have a gift card left over from Christmas. 

Also, do yall have any tips for me as a beginner?

Thanks,

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest!  Glad you joined us.  You are off to the right start... lessons!  I struggled for a few years developing bad habits that I had to "unlearn".  Don't worry if you don't hit the ball well during the lesson or for quite awhile after.  As long as the advice is correct, you need time for yu body to "accept" the commands given by the brain.  After awhile it will start feeling better and the shots will come.

Hopefully the pro will be able to tell if the "old set" fits your swing.  If he doesn't I suggest going some place that at least check length, lie angle, and flex.  Old sets are fine to start if they fit you, otherwise you may adjust your swing... oops!  another bad habit!

Good luck and always have fun with it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

who si your lesson with down there? I know a couple of folks at the Top Golfs in Houston

His name is Hut Smith. I've read a few things about him. Do you know him?

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest!  Glad you joined us.  You are off to the right start... lessons!  I struggled for a few years developing bad habits that I had to "unlearn".  Don't worry if you don't hit the ball well during the lesson or for quite awhile after.  As long as the advice is correct, you need time for yu body to "accept" the commands given by the brain.  After awhile it will start feeling better and the shots will come.

Hopefully the pro will be able to tell if the "old set" fits your swing.  If he doesn't I suggest going some place that at least check length, lie angle, and flex.  Old sets are fine to start if they fit you, otherwise you may adjust your swing... oops!  another bad habit!

Good luck and always have fun with it.

Thanks! I'll keep yall updated. 

I dont know him unfortunately. I worked at a golf school down in Houston and I loved it. All the guys are very good and know what they are talking about. If you have any questions about the Houston golf scene Id love to answer as best as possible. I have moved out of Houston up to Dallas but I still keep in contact with some of those guys

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

I dont know him unfortunately. I worked at a golf school down in Houston and I loved it. All the guys are very good and know what they are talking about. If you have any questions about the Houston golf scene Id love to answer as best as possible. I have moved out of Houston up to Dallas but I still keep in contact with some of those guys

May I ask which golf school you were at? I know I can get lessons over at Memorial Park but don't know where else to look. 

I didnt. Im not an instructor but I know the guys who did. They wernt just some fly by night guys who didnt know anything. They were either Class A or Former Class A (Just didnt renew) or had passed their PAT and were training to be Class A. 

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

Archived