OFFICIAL NIKE VAPOR FLEX 440 DRIVER REVIEW

NSPEARS23         Stage One      Stage Two      Stage Three

Johnny U               Stage One      Stage Two      Stage Three

Twoputts2AZ         Stage One      Stage Two      Stage Three

HighFade               Stage One      Stage Two      Stage Three

Visit Nike Golfs website HERE

Visit Nike Golfs Facebook HERE

Visit Nike Golfs Twitter HERE

Hey everyone, my name is Nick Spears and I really want to thank everyone at MyGolfSpy for choosing me to review the Nike Flex 440. I am a diehard Nike guy and by that I mean, I play nothing but Nike. Clubs, balls, shoes, glove, hat, yada yada yada, its all Nike. Now before you say, "oh great this wont be a biased review.", I want you to know that I only play what works for me. For instance, last years version of the Flex did not work for me at all. I loved the look of it but i just couldnt hit it. So I promise to be truthful in my review.

20160515_160620.jpg

Im about a 10 handicap who used to be a 2 handicap golfer in high school and college. But then came marriage and kids and well, you know where that goes.

Id say my strengths are my distance and being able to get myself out of trouble. The reason im good at getting myself out of trouble is because my distance isnt always the straight kind.

Which leads me to my weaknesses. Although I can hit it long, my down fall is that I have a pull hook that shows up quite often. Id probably shave 5 strokes off my game if I could eliminate that damn thing!

My ball flight is high, high, and higher. Not a ballooning type of high but just a high launching flight.

My current gamer is the Nike Vapor Pro which im in love with!!! Its the most consistent driver ive hit in a long time.

My swing tempo....hmm....I would go with a slow take away followed by a very quick downswing. My problem is coming over the top.

My swing speed is on average around 115. When i really want to get after it, i can get it up to 120.

I absolutely love this game. After my family it is priority number 1. My free time is consumed with either playing or visiting message boards or course websites. I can even sit and stsre at google maps wishing i could play some of the top courses in America.

Ive been golfing since I was 9 years old. My mom used to work at my home course and my grandpa would take me out once a week. My grandpa continued taking me more and more as i grew older. He is the main reason for my love of this game. I remember at the age of 12 him telling me that you can play basketball for a while, but you can play this game til your dead. And he did just that.

I would classify myself as someone who just plays for fun but the competitiveness is still in me. First and foremost i want to have fun, but i wanna beat you. The days of slamming my club in the ground are gone. I play to visit new courses. Just like a lot of people, i have a dream of playing the top 100. Sitting at 12 with a trip to Bandon planned in August. So i will get 4 more then and in a few weeks im headed to Victoria National. Big summer!

My current bag setup is:

Nike Vapor Pro driver

Nike Vapor 3 wood

Nike Vapor Fly Pro irons

Nike 56 and 60 degree wedges

Nike Method Origin putter

Nike RZN Protos

Ive loved Nike ever since I was a kid. Michael Jordan. And then Tiger, and i always said that when Nike started making clubs, Id be playing them.

I live in northern illinois so most of my golf is in the midwest. I love to go to Kohler and Erin Hills, and I just played Sand Valley on saturday. Chicago has a lot of good tracks but I dont feel like any of the public ones are GREAT. I like Cog Hill and Highlands of Elgin, Deere Run in the quad cities, but i really love to travel to the top courses when I can.

I am not a tinkerer. Never have been. I set it and forget it. Same with my swing. Ive never had a lesson in my entire life. Sometimes i think about getting one but im kind of proud that i can get around a track without having to think about what i have to do next.

Finally, I just like to continue my dream of playing the top courses, have fun, enjoy the scenery, and have fun with my friends. If you live near me, send me an invite, ill play with anyone. Ive met a ton of great people in this game. And thanks again MyGolfSpy!!!

20160515_160626.jpg20160523_171857.jpg20160523_171908.jpg20160523_171918.jpg

NIKE FLEX 440-OFFICIAL MGS FORUM REVIEW by NSpears23

20160515_160614.jpg

As a Nike lover, I went in to this review hoping this was gonna be my favorite driver ever. So lets find out if it ends the way I hope!

Performance at the range:

Ill admit it took me a few swings to get my swing worked out. For whatever reason, the Flex was hard for me to make solid contact until I got in to a groove. And that mishit was always low and on the heel.

ACCURACY: I was having a blast hitting this club. I wasnt having any trouble hitting a nice 5 yard fade or a nice little draw. One thing I noticed is that I never had any balls really spray in any direction. Now, am I a professional golfer on the range? Hello no, but I know what a ball is supposed to do when strick right. And in the case of the Flex, it performs in this department quite nicely.

DISTANCE: This is what I most interested in. Would it gain me any advantage over my Vapor Pro? Well with the Flex I had to hit it just perfect to get my normal distances out of it. I hover right around the 295 yard mark with my normal swing and the flex hit those numbers, but it had to be hit on the screws. Any off center hit was a loss of quite a few yards. Boooo!

TRAJECTORY CHARACTERISTICS: This turned out to be my favorite thing about the flex. I have a high spin rate on my driver. With the Flex and the ability to change the flight of the ball with the Flex Loft 2, thats allows for 15 different options, I was able to get the best flight of any driver ive ever tested. I have a natural balloon flight to my drives but with the Flex I was getting tons of run out.

FORGIVENESS: Forgiveness was a negative for me. Mishits were magnified with the Flex. Not on a left to right way, but in distance. Probably 20-25 yards.

CONTROL: When I was putting a good swing on it, my control was fine. I could make it do what i wanted.

RANGE SCORE: 15/20

20160523_171904.jpg

PERFORMANCE ON THE COURSE

Ive played 3 rounds with the Flex 440. Im going to apologize right now, because Im not going to break it down in to categories. I love Nike. Plain and simple. I want this driver to be my go to. But when it came to the course, I just dont have a good enough swing to hit that sweet spot. Over and over again, im hitting it low and on that dang heel. Now when I switch back to my Vapor Pro, it never happens. I have no idea what the reason is. This lead to very low confidence when stepping on the tee. If any one who is reading this could help me out with WHY i am continually hitting that part of the clubface, it would be greatly appreciated!!! The few times I did make solid contact, look out! For someone who is a great golfer, I can see you loving this club.

Score: 13/20

20160523_171951.jpg

PERFORMANCE NOTES

It performs great when hit well. But if you are off center, performance drops big time.

I wasnt as pleased as I was hoping to be. Compared to my Vapor Pro, its just not as forgiving. I loved that it lowered my spin rate so much. It has a piercing ball flight and a lower flight. It definetly was great on the range when I could get a good flow and i was hitting driver and only driver. But on the course when you youre only hitting it wvery so often, it didnt perform for me. Id say forgiveness was my least favorite thing about the Flex. Once my swing is on tour level, i think i would game the Flex....

20160523_171945.jpg

SUBJECTIVE

I loved the shape. Same with my Vapor Pro. The classic shape. I love the color scheme. Black and Blue just look mean together. Alot of people dislike the swoosh on the top. Ive had 3 Nike drivers with the swoosh there and I NEVER NOTICE IT WHEN SWINGING. I personally think its the best looking driver on the market. 20160523_171918.jpg

Score: 19/20

SOUND AND FEEL:

Oh baby! The sound on the Flex is like no other! It sounds like a wooden baseball bat. Such a great sound. Feel is very pure when struck well, but very pronounced when mishit. When you strike it well, it honestly feels like going yard against Kershaw. Ok ok, i dont know how that would feel, but i imagine it would feel that way! Haha!

Score: 18/20

https://youtu.be/ghx1UK3WpoA

LIKELIHOOD OF PURCHASE:

Before I was chosen for this I would have picked one of these up. But knowing how inconsistent i am with it, im now out on the Flex 440. Deep down im crying. I wanted this to work out.

Score: 14/20

20160515_160626.jpg

So the bottom line on the Flex 440 is that it looks great, sounds great, has some amazing technology in it, but For me its just not the right driver. I blame this all on myself for being bad. I would highly recommend you teat it for yourself. Dont go out and buy it, but go test it. Its like a Nascar car, it has all the muscle and power under the hood, but it needs someone who knows how to drive it. Not the ending i wanted but still a huge thanks to the MGS team for choosing me. Back to my Vapor Pro.

FINAL SCORE: 79/100

STAGE 3.

THE BIG FIVE:

1. Will the Flex 440 go in my bag?

Well, during my review stage, no it wasnt going in my bag, but after some more practice it is officially in there! I knew all along that I loved everything about it, but I just couldnt get it to fit my swing. And after some much needed range time this summer, i have it fine tuned!

2. Who would i recommend the Flex 440 to?

I would definitely say a low handicap player. The smaller head just makes it slightly harder to hit on the screws.

3. How did it change how i feel about Nike Golf?

It didnt change my thoughts on them at all. They are constantly trying to push the limits and make the best possible product.

4. What features would I change or keep for the next model?

I would say keep everything as is but make a 460 head. Thats really all i would suggest.

5. Which feature do I like the most?

As someone who was never big on how my driver needed to sound, i fell in love with the sound of the Flex. Keep the RZN!!!

THANKS ONCE AGAIN FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO TEST THIS CLUB OUT. AND TO BE ABLE TO KEEP IT IS TRULY A BLESSING. THANKS MYGOLFSPY!

What an awesome opportunity and a cool group of guys to be a part of! These days, at least for me, I find myself looking at my phone every 5 minutes whether it be Facebook or Twitter and reading pointless updates that continuously drives me nuts… I'm happy to say that MGS has taken the place of the meaningless Facebook app on my phone and I couldn't be happier! I'm reading interesting articles on the things I'm actually interested in and learning more about the game I love. So for that, I'm very thankful. I'm even more thankful I was chosen to test out the new Nike Vapor Flex! This club has changed my game and I'll be able to explain more through all of my reviews.

Currently, I'm a 5-handicap and I typically shoot rounds in the mid to high 70's.

The strengths of my game are no doubt my irons. I play Titleist 712 MB's and feel very confident in my ball striking ability with them. I also have a lot of confidence in my short game. I love playing anything from about 120 and in with my putting starting to heat up just in time for summer.

I've always had good distance off the tee but often find myself fighting the high fade with my newly retired driver, the original TaylorMade Rocketballz. The weak point of my game is when I'm battling with my ‘big miss' tee shots and then playing my second shot from the far right rough.

My Launch Angle was 13.8 prior to switching to the Nike Vapor Flex and my typical miss is with my driver with a high fade.

I was most recently hitting a TaylorMade Rocketballz driver with an X-Stiff shaft. My swing tempo is fast and rapid and my swing speed with the Rocketballz was 114.5 prior to hitting the Nike Vapor Flex.

Above you'll see images of me swinging my TaylorMade Rocketballz. There will be huge changes once I record the Nike Vapor Flex swing!! It's already made me change my release point of my swing and because of the ability to chance from Mid to Low ball flight it has straightened out my tee shots… pretty amazing so far and more to come in the following stages.

I love this game more than most things in life. I love it for more reasons than I can explain typing it out on this computer. This was something my father taught me and I will love it because of that single reason until the day I die. I'll never forget all of the rounds and good times we've had on the course.

I've been golfing since around the age of 5. I'm a very competitive golfer with the ability to shoot a 72 but also go out drinking with my friends having a great time of the course. The booze really kills my game sometimes and can blow me up to an 85 if I hit it too hard, lol. I also like to gamble while were out there. I never push anyone on the golf course and I hate talking trash on the course. I'll be the first person to set the guy straight for being the obnoxious trash talker in my 4-some.

My story is I'm an interesting guy. Been a lot of places. Love Vegas, golf, and the beach.

What is in your bag? I now play a Nike Vapor Flex 440 (which is ridiculously awesome), I play a 15-degree 913 Titleist 3-wood, my 3 – PW are Titleist 712 MB's with Project-X 6.5 shafts, my wedges are all Titleist SM 5's – 52, 56, & 60-degree, and I play an Odyssey Putter that I've had since I was 17. I won that putter off the number one golfer on our high school team. I really kicked his ass that day and took his putter. I can't part ways with it now.

How did you choose them? I chose the irons honestly because I talked a kid down who was selling them on Craigslist. I got an outstanding deal on them and it just so happened that iron and shafts fit my exact swing. The putter is just a comfort thing to me and I really don't see myself changing it anytime soon.

What region do you play out of? I play all over Chicagoland which I believe has some of the best courses in this country. Although, the best course I played was Luana Hills Country Club in Oahu, HI. It was honestly the greenest thing I've ever seen in my life with these old trees that looked like something Tarzan would swing from.

Are you a tinkerer or a set and forget it type? Definitely set and forget it type.

Looking forward to the next stages where I'll prove how the Nike Vapor has changed my game off the tee with tons of pictures and videos!

Still can't believe I was chosen.  So cool.....I entered this review with absolutely zero thought of being selected.  SOOO excited to be able to contribute to this one!

About me:

• My current index is 4.2.  I am not a member anywhere, but I keep track online.
  • I have always thought of my consistency and “safe” play to be the best part of my game.  I don't get into trouble much.  When I do, I just try to get out.  No heroic shots from me. 
  • Like the screen-name says, I play a fade. My typical miss is a block.  Instead of fading into the fairway, it starts right and stays there.
  • I am (was) gaming the SLDR 10.5S.  It has been one of the best drivers I've owned.
  • I have a super slow tempo.  Driver swing speed is 104.  If I really lay into one, I can get it to 104.  If I hold back on it, it's 104.  Sometimes, I swear the machine is busted! 
  • I was introduced to the game in the military about 20 years ago (Holy crap – where did that time go?!?)
  • I tinker with my swing every day, but generally not with my bag. 
  • I am a range rat.  I like hitting balls almost as much as playing. 

Arrival Day:

If you haven't received brand new (and free!) equipment, this moment is pretty darned exciting! 

IMG_0776.JPG

Pretty basic design:

IMG_0780.JPG

I set the adjustment to 12.5 Neutral (I like loft)

IMG_0777.JPG

Shaft is Diamana Stiff - 60grams

IMG_0781.JPG

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Nike Vapor Flex 440 – Official MGS Forum Review by HighFade (with video and video editing credits to Mrs. HighFade)

meme.PNG

There is no better excitement than coming home to a golf club-sized box of free stuff waiting for you on your porch. Christmas morning for adults! Thanks for the opportunity, MGS!

I normally stay with clubs for a long time, but I am also not afraid to change if another one comes along that I can hit better. I have had my putter for over 7 years. I have bagged the Callaway Diablo fairways woods for about 10 years. My Mizzy irons I got about 3 years ago, and they aren't going anywhere, anytime soon. Bottom line, I'm loyal to consistency. I am not a “club ho” like some of our members. Not that's there's anything wrong with that… :D

In a driver, I am looking for pure distance. Feel is important (a lesson learned by the SLDR), and forgiveness is pretty low on my scale of importance for a driver. If I need to hit it straight, I'll use the 3w. Because I hit my 3w so well, it puts pressure on the driver to perform. If there's a 15-yard gap between my 3w and driver, what's the point of hitting driver? A 7 iron from the fairway is far better than an 8 iron from the rough. But if I can hit the driver 30 or even 40 yards farther than my 3w, that makes the risk worth hitting driver. I'll take that PW from the rough over the 7 iron in the fairway.

Let's talk about the club!

Adjustability

Before I took the wrapper off my shiny new toy and drove to the range, I had to decide on the loft and spin settings. The Vapor Flex 440 has a lot of different options. The website says 15 options, but if you include the FlexFlight, my count is 30 different possible combinations.

Loft - 8.5, 9.5, 10.5, 11.5, and 12.5 – I chose 10.5

Face Angle - Left, Neutral, and Right – I chose Neutral

FlexFlight - This is where the Flex in the name comes from. I grabbed a screenshot from Nike's web site rather than explain the dynamics. But it's just a rod that screws into the back, and flipping the rod changes the weighted end's location within the head, thus affecting the trajectory. I went with low.

FlexFlight.PNG

Performance – YES! The actual hitting part

Performance on the Range - (13 of 20 points)

Distance – So after the snow stopped falling (in May!!!) I finally got to the range. After warming up for a few minutes, I stepped up to the plate with the Flex. I aimed for my typical driver target at the range 259 yards away. With my SLDR and BBA, a well-struck shot landed at the back of that green, roughly 265-270 yards. This one landed in almost the exact same spot. So as far as distance is concerned (pun intended), it was pretty average.

Accuracy – I hit about 30 shots with the Flex that day, and very few of them strayed offline. It is a very easy club to hit. It just went where I told it to go. I think I read somewhere that this is for more skilled players, but I disagree with that. This is one of the easiest clubs to find the sweet spot and keep it straight.

Trajectory – This one is difficult to define. Because this club is so adjustable, you can make it a low spin, low trajectory club, a high spinning, high loft club, or anywhere in between. This is where the adjustability really separates it from competitors. The options are limitless.

Forgiveness – (There's no gambling at Bushwood, and I don't slice!)

While Judge Smails could still slice with this club, it wouldn't stray too far offline. In terms of forgiveness, I think this is better than average, but not what I would call the best on the market. When I heeled it or toed it, I did not need to look at the face to find the impact location - I knew it. But I just did not hit it terribly offline, even with some pretty bad swings. Most, if not all, of my bad shots stayed close to the fairway.

Control – Moving the ball is not one of my specialties. I generally play a straight ball or slight fade. But because of its forgiveness, I think it would be one of the more difficult to curve. It faded about the same as other drivers I've played. Let's call this one N/A.

Performance on the Course - (13 of 20 points)

Accuracy – This club was even more accurate on the course for me. This is probably due to the fact that I am swinging smoother on the course than just ripping shots on the range.

Distance – The points this club gained in accuracy on the course, it lost in the distance category. This is why the Flex will probably not stay in my bag. It is just simply too short for me. In a driver, I prefer distance above almost all else. Here are the numbers (non-scientific)

chart.PNG

Carry vs. Roll – The Flex carried about the same as the other drivers in my bag, and the trajectory was very slightly higher, but not a ton. On the course, it simply did not roll out much at all. I will be making some adjustments to the loft and Flex position, but as of this writing, the Flex is not bounding down the fairway like my other drivers.

Looks - (18 of 20 points)

The Flex is pretty bland looking (but that's a plus for me). From address, you see the metallic blue painted edge near the face and a black matte finish on the rest of the head. The lime green section is on the sole, so it is not visible at all unless it's upside down in your bag. While it is super-adjustable, you cannot see all the knobs and gears that make all that magic happen.

Sound and Feel – (18 of 20 points)

My first thought after hitting that first ball at the range was how much louder it was than I was expecting. I had read somewhere that it sounded like a persimmon. I expected a marshmallow sound, but it definitely has a good crack to it. Because there has been a lot of conversation about the sound, I captured two videos and spliced them together (OK, my wife did) – one with my Big Bertha Alpha, and one with the Nike Vapor Flex 440. On the course, my playing partners said the Nike sounded like I was hitting a bag of rice. I thought it was just fine. You decide. Flex is the first swing, BBA is the second. http://youtu.be/rrfcFT3mfUY\

The feel of this club is incredibly good. The bar was set pretty low when comparing it to the SLDR, but it compares well with the Ping G and Big Bertha Alpha. Solid, yet a soft feel at impact.

Likelihood of Purchase - (12 of 20 points)

I would be pretty unlikely to purchase this club unless I can find a setting that works better for me. In a nutshell, there are other clubs for the money that look and feel just as good, but are longer. But if I can find that perfect loft and spin setting, I can be turned. And the forgiveness alone makes it tempting.

Conclusion

Total Score: (74 of 100)

I do not want this to be a pure head to head battle of SLDR vs. Flex, but I just offloaded the SLDR, and that is the only reference point I have right now. So…….

The SLDR wins the length competition due to the low spin and long rollout, but it is seriously lacking in the feel and sound department. The Flex 440 definitely wins for its soft feel, simple design, and forgiveness, while being more adjustable than any club out there. It just does not go as far :(

This club feels so good at impact, I really want it to work out. And with over 30 adjustment possibilities, I am cautiously optimistic that I can find the setting that optimizes distance for me. In the coming days/weeks, I will be tinkering with the loft and Flex settings to find the right combination that gives me the distance of the SLDR, while keeping the soft feel of the Flex.

Bottom Line: If I had to tee it up today for a tournament, I would give serious consideration to the Flex because it is just plain straight. Second only to good putting, hitting your driver in the fairway is a sure way to win tournaments!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Follow Up

I gave the Flex one more chance at a recent scramble and another casual round.  I adjusted it to 10.5, Low, Neutral.  On the scramble day, I was hitting it well.  But even when I flushed it, it just did not have the distance I am used to.  On the casual round the next day, I could not hit it at all.  To be fair, I couldn't hit anything that day.  But I just don't think this one is not going to make the cut for me.

But I would definitely recommend this driver to anyone who has control and feel issues with their current gamer.  It is super forgiving, and has a great, soft feel.  But you are giving up distance for accuracy.  If it were 10 yards longer, I would almost certainly be bagging it today.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Thank you for the opportunity to be part of the GolfSpy network of reviewers, it's a great honor & a little scary..

● Handicap/average score: Current handicap is 5.3

● Strengths of your game? My short game saves me from shooting 80, my strength is around the green (Chipping, Pitching, Bunker Play and most days putting) 60 yards and in.

● Weakness of your game? The two way miss with my driver & long irons

● Typical ball flight? Depends on the day for years I played a slight fade, as I've gotten older I now try to play a small draw (how does that happen)

● Typical miss? More than likely it's right of the target

● Current comparable equipment? I'm testing the NIKE 440 Vapor Flex, my gamer is a Taylor Made R-1

● Swing tempo? I play fast so I would estimate my swing tempo is also

● Driver swing speed? 100 MPH

● Video of swing?  golf swing.MOV

● What makes you love the game? The personal responsibility of the game, you have no one to blame if you hit a bad shot and you get the credit when you hit a good one.

● How long have you been golfing? From the time I was “Knee High” to a Grass Hopper. I started playing with my father and grandfather when I was about 10 years old about 43 years ago.

● What kind of golfer are you?  Focused when required (60-seconds before the shot) and relaxed and easy going when not. I enjoy the companionship, the struggle to stay within myself, the competition, the time in nature, the interaction with your playing partners, the fact that some day's golf has nothing to do with it.

● What's your story? 

The short version: I grew up in the building trades, my grandfather was a master carpenter and I became a plumber. With being in the trades in Arizona the day starts very early so you're done most days by 2:00-3:00 PM so I had to do something with my time.

I played golf at a young age but started playing again about the age of 25 and thought I was good. When the building crash hit in 1986 I had a friend who was a teaching pro and he talked me into getting into the golf business. I started out cleaning clubs at a course in Scottsdale called Orange Tree (we wore the ugliest orange pants) working in the bag room. A year or so later I moved to another course (Lookout Mountain) then to San Marcos (I did pass my PAT, you folks in the golf business know what that is) along with the business schools then to Las Vegas C.C. I finally wound up at a golf school called Exceller Golf.

My golf career ended in 1994 when the golf school closed. I started selling plumbing stuff (22-years ago) and it continues today as a Division Manager with a company called ACO Polymer Products, Inc. Now I play golf once a week, my work schedule keeps me busy (travel and office) so I don't have time to practice any more.

● What is in your bag:

-Snacks, Bluetooth Receiver, Sunscreen, Bug Repellant

-Nike 440 Vapor flex Driver (in the bag after 3-shots on the range)

-Titleist 913 3-wood & 5-hybrid

-Callaway HX-2 Tour Highbred 20 degrees

-First generation Titleist AP-1 irons (5-Gap Wedge)

-Ping Tour Professional 56 & 60 degree wedges

-Titleist Combi-Mid cut down to 34” (cut down in 2012, way ahead of the anchor ban) it's much easier to throw now also, more aerodynamic

-Titleist Pro-V1X (Red line through the Titleist logo) sorry Titleist always low numbers.

I really don't have any number hang ups like some folks who only play high numbers, or never play a three, or a one for round one, two for round two, three for round three, reeeely (come on) you don't keep them that long anyway! It's not like the old balata balls that grew a beard after three well struck irons with the old square grooves (kids, go ask your mom or dad what a balata ball and square grooves were)

● How did you choose them? I play what feels good in my hands

● What region do you play out of? Desert Southwest (Arizona)

● Are you a tinkerer or a set and forget it type? With the exception of re-gripping clubs every six months I leave things as they are. Sorry if this offends anyone, it's not the arrow…

ball impact on driver face.JPG

Driver set up with ball.JPG

golf swing.MOV

Stage Two - The Review

I started with the driver set at 10 degrees loft, neutral face angle; the weight pod is set with the heavy end towards the back. One thing I did do was change the grip to a mid-size Golf-Pride grip

Lots going on when the club sits at address, movable weight pod allows for lower or higher ball flight

[Attachment = 38229: NVF 440 Bottom 2.JPG]

Sets up really nice at address, hello ball...

Driver set up with ball.JPG

golf sim, X shaft.JPG

I went to the PGA SuperStore in Scottsdale, I was able to get on the simulator and hit a few balls, if you notice the shot dispersion here is rather wide, Brandon (club fitter) suggested we change the shaft.

ball impact on driver face.JPG

See, shaft deflection moved the face all over the place. No way was this operator error, when I get my fourth lever timed up it's a thing of beauty..

golf sim, Stiff Shaft NV440.JPG

I changed to an X flex Diamanna Blue, now look at the difference. Increased ball speed, better carry yardage, and the dispersion pattern is much tighter. Guess I need an X-Shaft, does anyone have an extra? please. please, please :)

Part of the Stage 2 review involves the range and actual golf course playability; let's start with the range review, shall we?

While I'm sure my musing about the results is important (three balls on the range it went in my bag) I thought why not ask friends and strangers to hit it and give me some feedback, so that's what I did.

Jon Lindquist: Jon was the first person I had try the driver, Jon is not a regular guy (okay, he really is a great guy) but he's the only guy I know that won the Ben Hogan award for best college golfer in the country in 1992, check out his Bio below. Now Jon just said, WOW… I think he liked it J

Gustavus Adolphus

Jon Lindquist

The Next golfer William Oates is my regular partner each Saturday, his story is he was a college high jumper that held Texas records for years. Some of you may know this name Dwight Stone? Well, William beat him during his college days. William is 6'5 and really pounds it, he didn't like it so much, my opinion is the shaft was to short and too flexible.

I then went back to my old Country Club to play in a skins game, some of the players there wanted to take it with them, Mike Goulet and Tom Joyce both liked it.

Today (June 4th, 2016) I walked the range at Papago Golf Club after my warm up looking for (Flat Bellies) to give it a shot, you know the kind of guys that a young, flexible, strong and fearless. (Yes, I remember what it was like 20-years and 30 lbs. ago) Both guys knocked it off the planet but the comment was ‘I couldn't feel it hit the face”

My turn, Range Review:

The driver is very stable, through the ball is very consistent, ball flight is lower than the R-1 or for that sake my old Titleist 913 driver. The convincing factor to my putting it in the bag after three balls on the range was the FEEL, the feel is incredible, No it's AWESOME…. As different golfers read this review a few of you will be feel players, some of you will be mechanical, some of you are an auditory player, and some of you just see ball, hit ball, find ball, hit ball again until it's in the hole. And that's the way you should be, my heightened sensory is feel.

My Range Score: 18

On the Course Review:

Eight rounds in different conditions on three different golf courses over six weeks:

Round One, Papago Golf Club, Phoenix AZ www.papagogolf.com

May, 7th 2016

The day was cool for us (80f) with winds gusting to 25 mph, maybe it was like a first date, the first day of a new job or the first day of school. I hit the ball where I was looking, 11 of 14 fairways, 15 of 18 greens, and a final score of 73 with cash coming my way.

Papago Golf Club, May, 14th 2016

The honeymoon was over she cheated on me, stole my money and broke my hart… Okay, not that bad. Another windy day in Phoenix, what I like most about this driver is the ability to play the ball down in windy conditions, I learned not to try and hit the driver “HARD”, it goes sideways when you do. Shot 80, does she love me, does she not???

Wickenberg Ranch, May, 21st 2016 www.wickenbergranch.com

Let's get down to business, one of the top new courses of 2015, this was a fun day. Playing a golf course for the first time with new equipment in a 20 MPH wind scares me every time, this was no exception. 9-fairways hit, 11 greens, 32 putts and 84 shots later I was paying up. This was not the drivers' fault I did have second thoughts and could hear my R-1 calling from the garage. What got me during this round was playing an unfamiliar layout in gusty conditions and seconding guessing where to hit it, the times I saw the landing area and the shot shape matched what I was thinking it worked great.

Papago Golf Club, May 28th 2016

Calm day, 90 degrees, light winds, firm fast greens, 13 fairways, 14 greens, 25 putts, 75. Cha-Ching…. Good day to work the ball different ways, high draws, high fades, low draws, low fades and a pop up too. To play Papago well you need to work the ball around the track, it's not overly long from the Blue Tees 6775 but a good test built in 1963 and remodeled is 2008.

Arrowhead Country Club, May 30th 2016

Okay, it's Memorial Day a day you should be with your friends and family searing meat on a grill and consuming adult beverages that came later. I mentioned in the range review a few guys I know really liked the driver, today it was my friend again. One key point I have to make when playing with a new longer driver, “don't hit driver form the white tees” it will mess you up…. Hazards come into play, 50-60-70-80 yard approach shots to mounded Arnold Palmer Designed greens will eat your lunch, AGGGGHHHHH….. Deep Breaths, Deep Breaths, Deep Breaths. Bye, Bye $40.00 skin moneyL

Papago Gold Club, June 4th 2016

Playing at home again brings a ‘Happy Dance” and cash coming my way, good thing my partner William Oates putted well today, me I hit 12 fairways, 14 greens and shot 75 (how well was I putting today 30 putts, no birdies, no three putts) it was only 105 when we finished today.

Course Score: 17

Subjective:

Looks

The NVF 440 sets up nicely with the blue topline against the white ball and green grass, it really squares up easily. I'm not crazy about the seam between the face and the crown; they could have cleaned that up a little more. The standard lie is a little upright was my initial impression, but as the club swings it shortens and flattens so at impact it all good J

Looks Score: 15

Sound and Feel

The driver sounds like a Persimmon Driver of old, it's more of a “Twack” or “Splank” sound (think about dropping a cantaloupe on the kitchen table) verses a ‘Tink”, “Tank”, “Poink”, “Doink” or the famous “Boink” of dropping a golfball on a beer or soda can.

The driver feels very soft at impact, when hitting the rock range balls it's okay, I play a Titlist ProV-X and you can feel it come off. For giggles I had a sleeve of Noodles from some golf tournament so I wondered what it would feel like with a ‘Super Soft” golf ball. Now imagine if you can hitting a marshmallow with 105 MPH club head speed and think the ball stuck to the face then turning your head to see the ball soaring down the fairway a solid 200 yards, Ickey….  

Sound and Feel Score: 17

Likelihood of Purchase

If I was looking for a new driver NIKE would not be on the top of my list, growing up in Phoenix with the PING factory and fitting studio a few miles away they were my first choice. Titlist, Taylor Made then NIKE.

Understanding that the new M-1 is made in the same fashion I would give it strong consideration along with the NVF 440.

LOP Score: 14

Closing Observations:

I didn't want to like this driver. To me NIKE was always style over substance. That changed once I hit it on the range and in play. As I mentioned earlier they could tighten up the finished product, it looks a little cheap where the crown meets the face and the weight pod could get damaged with one untimely slam to the ground. The other players I had hit the driver all liked the ball flight and performance but the feel turned them off, it doesn't bother me but I like the feel, the control and the slightly lower ball flight.

Would I recommend this driver to everyone No, but if you're looking for a controlled lower ball flight that stays closer to the fairway then GIDDY UP, see your local pro get fit, get a NVF 440 and get out there.

Total Score: 81 NIKE Vapor Flex 440

Download Attachment

Available until Jul 15, 2016

NVF 440 bottom 2.JPG

text image 117.JPG

I didn't receive any question, comments or suggestions from other MyGolfSpy members so I will give you my final review.

1. I played in a Member Guest at Albuquerque Country Club in early June, we finished one shot out of the money, however I shot 75 when it mattered most.

2. Following the MG event I went on an eight week stretch where I played golf twice (damn work gets in the way) and not that well.

3. The Nike Vapor Flex 440 changed my mind about Nike equipment, the driver is well made and performs as advertised.

4. When I tested the driver at the PGS Super Store the outcome was I needed an X-Flex shaft, once I change out the shaft I will be all set.

I want to thank the MGS team for selecting me to test the Nike Vapor flex 440, it was a great experience and really fun to be part of the team.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

All 4 Stage 1's are up!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Great write up's so far guys! I really look forward to reading the reviews. I enjoyed the first vapor line so I'm interested to how this line is. Thanks for the reviews!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

HIghFade's review is up!

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/15902-official-forum-member-review-nike-vapor-flex-440/?p=205144

Awesome job!  

What do you guys think??

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Nice job Jon! The SLDR is a hard club to kick out of he bag.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Those distance differences were interesting -- I know the SLDR was custom fit for you, but what about the Cally?  I'm wondering about the stock shaft in the Nike...I know I swapped the stock out for a Fujikura Pro Tour Spec and it made a bit of a difference for me.  I'm nowhere near as long as you but the right shaft did make a difference...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Those distance differences were interesting -- I know the SLDR was custom fit for you, but what about the Cally?  I'm wondering about the stock shaft in the Nike...I know I swapped the stock out for a Fujikura Pro Tour Spec and it made a bit of a difference for me.  I'm nowhere near as long as you but the right shaft did make a difference...

Cally was not custom fit.  Second-hand, off the rack.

Remember, you have to account for mile-high distances (take off at least 10%).  My "flushed" distance at sea level is roughly 280.

The shafts are pretty similar.  All stiff shaft, 55-60Gram.  It's the loft will make a difference (still a guess)

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

We'll have to see what altitude does next week! I'm bringing the Nike and the Mizzy - we'll see what happens

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I don't have any technical data on accuracy. No launch monitor or anything. It's strictly my eyeball test. Compared to the Alpha, it was significantly more accurate for me.

But I rate them in this order:

Flex - 75/100

BBA - 60/100

SLDR - 55/100

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Twoputts2AZ's Stage two is up -- you won't want to miss it!!

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/15902-official-forum-member-review-nike-vapor-flex-440/?p=205395

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Awesome reviews guys, I've never had a chance to hit a Nike driver, I guess my memories of a Nike driver are still stuck in my head of the Sumo driver, I could hear it a mile away, it's so loud it's like hitting a steel trash can with a hammer. Nike has really come a long way in their R&D. This driver in particular looks great. Hope to read more on it's feel and sound. Thank you!

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Awesome reviews guys, I've never had a chance to hit a Nike driver, I guess my memories of a Nike driver are still stuck in my head of the Sumo driver, I could hear it a mile away, it's so loud it's like hitting a steel trash can with a hammer. Nike has really come a long way in their R&D. This driver in particular looks great. Hope to read more on it's feel and sound. Thank you!

Go find the Flex and hit it. If you like a good sounding driver, youll love it.

NSPEARS23's Stage 2 Review is up!

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/15902-official-forum-member-review-nike-vapor-flex-440/?p=204055

Excellent stuff gentlemen. You guys are killin' it!!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Go find the Flex and hit it. If you like a good sounding driver, youll love it.

What shaft did the vapor flex come with and what shaft is in your vapor pro? I too struggle with the occasional low heel hit, but mine are caused by spinning out my lower body-  there are other causes mind you.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I played a 13 degree SQ and it was the same sound, but if you laid into it, that thing would go

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Archived