Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Muscle pull

BigtazzGolf

Hi guys,

Think I've got a muscle pull in my ribs.

Treat it like any other pull? Or should I do something different?

Anyone else have this happen?

Taking ibuprofen helps, the worst is after I've been asleep for few hours. I think it stiffens up and the slight movement and the pain kicks in pretty bad until I can get it to relax. Lol every breath is painful at that point and a real accomplishment to get a full breath of air.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I have as well, ice works wonders, 20 minutes every 2 hours. Also stretch, there is a great stretch book that covers how to stretch, when to stretch and even covers stretches for all sorts of activities and also golf, book is called stretching by Bob Anderson. As well I see a chiropractor that's also been a big help --good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Bad time of the year for that, I got one too, right side mid back(lat?), at best it is stiff, sometimes it tightens up or cramps, can't do a sit-up.

I did it in late March, hitting balls outside on a cold day.  It isn't getting any better, but it is golf season, what can we do?  In five months it will be snowing again.

I'm going for the ice right now, and a cold beer. 

Best wishes.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

What a bummer! Wish you a speedy recovery.

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

Good luck with the treatment and stretches.  At my age something like that happens to me all the time.  I can't take ibuprofen; I have gone to hydrocodone.  That and Dhuck Whooker's beer suggestion.  I can say though... Beware the wounded golfer.  I've played some of my best rounds with aches and pains.  I think I swing easier; wish I could do that when I feel better.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hi guys,

Think I've got a muscle pull in my ribs.

Treat it like any other pull? Or should I do something different?

Anyone else have this happen?

Taking ibuprofen helps, the worst is after I've been asleep for few hours. I think it stiffens up and the slight movement and the pain kicks in pretty bad until I can get it to relax. Lol every breath is painful at that point and a real accomplishment to get a full breath of air.

Tazz

First step visit your primary care physician.

Sounds like an intercostal strain. I've had one before, sharp pain with breath and pretty sensitive to touch? Are you holding your breath when you swing? That's what happened to me.

Unfortunately no real stretch cadn target it, but working on taking nice deep diaphramatic breathes helps it stretch naturally. Ibuprofen will help with local inflammation. Icing strategy 10-15 minutes every hour after the incident, or at least 3x a day afterwards. with a barrier between ice pack and skin. Best way to do this, place ice pack or frozen vegetables or even zip lock bag of ice in a pillow case and apply over skin. And decrease golf activities for at least 2 weeks or it'll heal super slow.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Just go see a doctor (chiropractor counts). 

It's bad enough when we are offering swing advice we certainly can't be offering medical advice.  Good luck and let us know what he/she says.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks guys.

As for a Dr visit I'll DIY it for now lol. I've got pto next week so I'll get some good rest. My clubs keep giving me a sad puppy dog look when I pass them.

Like the great wrestler Sid Vicious said, it'll be a'it

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

Just go see a doctor (chiropractor counts). 

It's bad enough when we are offering swing advice we certainly can't be offering medical advice.  Good luck and let us know what he/she says.

Oh no my degree and years working as a PTA have left me ill prepared. All kidding aside, If it worsens or doesn't improve like others have said- a Doc visit, but most MD's spend about 1 month during med school on the musculoskeletal system- got to know a whole swath  of different areas, so they'll probably refer you out. Doubtful they'll send you to a Chiro- always good to find one who is knowledgeable in sports and sport related injuries; probably send you to a PT to work on core stabilization and strengthening, as well as some stretching to boot. Most intercostal strains I've seen have come from improper warm up, decreased flexibility and core weakness, coupled with a held breath and swinging out of ones shoes.

I took some weeks off, no use in making it worse, even if those clubs are screaming your name. Good luck!

My Mixed-Bag:

Oh gosh, I hope I forget about the "holding your breath" thing before I take another swing.  I surely don't need another thought to think during my swing.  Right now, I have no idea whether I do or not.

Bigtazz--I'd also consider a tens machine- great for stimulating the muscle.  Now they sell them cheap at Walgreens.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Oh no my degree and years working as a PTA have left me ill prepared. All kidding aside, If it worsens or doesn't improve like others have said- a Doc visit, but most MD's spend about 1 month during med school on the musculoskeletal system- got to know a whole swath of different areas, so they'll probably refer you out. Doubtful they'll send you to a Chiro- always good to find one who is knowledgeable in sports and sport related injuries; probably send you to a PT to work on core stabilization and strengthening, as well as some stretching to boot. Most intercostal strains I've seen have come from improper warm up, decreased flexibility and core weakness, coupled with a held breath and swinging out of ones shoes.

I took some weeks off, no use in making it worse, even if those clubs are screaming your name. Good luck!

Hey will likely send you to PT, but my thought for going to the doctor was more so for getting an accurate diagnosis. You can treat it however you want, but what if it's not a pulled muscle, but something more serious.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I'm all for going to a chiropractor instead of a doctor for that kind of thing. Not that it helps with my golf game, but I've had some really really bad nerve pain; the type where you can't fall asleep. My guy worked wonders taking it out in a day plus also getting me to loosen up. The doctor gave me a bit better pain pills. I've also heard horror stories where a chiropractor didn't help and it took years to find a good one. I'd suggest asking friends for recommendations.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

It funny here when you talk about fixing a swing, everyone says go to a fitter, but when you have an injury it's self diagnosis. What gives, you see a swing doctor when you have issues with your swing, but self diagnos when it comes to injury, I sincerely hope it is just a muscle strain, personally I would think that an accurate diagnosis would be the first order of business, then treatment.

Valid points but mainly not going to the Dr is a personal choice. I'll go if sever but this isn't enough to get me in lol.

On a side note, it is feeling better. 24 hours and no ibuprofen required. Still going back and forth with heat and ice though. Fingers crossed at this rate I'll be able to get back out and play next weekend.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

Phases of a sports injury:

1. Denial

2. Play thru it

3. Self treatment

4. See a doctor

Nothing wrong with this, it keeps health care costs down and makes you smarter about your own body.

With many sports injuries, RICE is a good standard approach: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Where applicable and feasable. Beware of stretching an injured muscle, you first must reduce inflamation thru RICE. Once the inflamation is calmed down, you can begin a gentle stretching program. I'm no PT or DR, but have over 65 years of sports injuries on this old body.

There are sports Injuries, and there are sports aches and pains, there is a difference, are you injured to where you can't play, if so, see a doctor, if you are hurt but can still play you should RICE. Tazz I understand not going to the Dr. And it is your choice, glad you are feeling better. I just don't like the advice for fixing this issue when you potentially could injure yourself more. Good luck and hope you get back out to the course soon.

Lil update.

Pain got worse on Saturday, came to er. They admitted me. Did some x-rays and CT scans. They pulled 450cc of fluid off my lung. Thinking it is pneumonia.

So here I lie in this hospital bed thinking some of you may have been right lol.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

Lil update.

Pain got worse on Saturday, came to er. They admitted me. Did some x-rays and CT scans. They pulled 450cc of fluid off my lung. Thinking it is pneumonia.

So here I lie in this hospital bed thinking some of you may have been right lol.

Tazz

Get well!

Lil update.

Tazz

Wow that's super unfortunate! Pneumonia, that's rough. Get well soon!

My Mixed-Bag:

Lil update.

Tazz

I just read this in another thread, get well soon and take care of yourself. Pneumonia is no laughing matter. You are in my prayers!

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've been out of commission for a couple of weeks with a pulled muscle in my neck and upper right shoulder. UGH! Still have a slight bit of it going on but I think I'm out of the woods. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow. XX

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 3 weeks later...

Update for those following.

Back on May 13th or so I thought I had pulled a muscle in my ribs. After a week I couldn't take the pain and went to the ER. They did some scans, and installed a drain tube into my lung thinking that would work, it pulled off about 1000 cc of fluid from my lung. After a few days and more CT scans it was confirmed I had Empyema and needed surgery to remove the rest of the fluid from my lung. On 25th I was transferred to another hospital to do the surgery the following day. The surgery was a success and I was able to come home on 2nd with a PICC line to do my home meds. Still in some pain, but getting better. Thru all of this I never felt sick only pain. I never knew I had pneumonia or so much of it stored in my lungs.

Recovery is slow, but I'm getting there. Was able to take a shower after 2 weeks and , boy the small things like that are a real joy. I can't wait to be able to get things back to normal. I'm hoping and praying I'll be back on a course by mid August.

On a plus, I've lost 30 pounds lol so I got that going for me.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

Wow man! Who would have thought? I'm glad to see you're on the road back. Maybe it won't be August for you to get back to playing.

I've enjoyed many of your posts and you been a good "newer" addition to the forum.

Have a nice weekend.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Wow man! Who would have thought? I'm glad to see you're on the road back. Maybe it won't be August for you to get back to playing.

I've enjoyed many of your posts and you been a good "newer" addition to the forum.

Have a nice weekend.

Thank you.

Slowly getting back into the swing of things.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

My Dad did something similar - slipped on the ice shoveling snow. Thought he tweaked his back. A month later he was admitted with two broken and poorly healing ribs and pneumonia. If it doesn't clear up after a few days, GO SEE A DOCTOR! It's hard to be tough when your grandsons are crying by your hospital bed.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Crazy experience, Good to hear your doing better!

My Mixed-Bag:

Archived