TESTERS WANTED! ×

I Really Miss Golf

NiftyNiblick

Here we are, almost in June, and I've gone the spring without swinging a golf club. Considering that I'm seventy years old, and I started at least hitting balls at the driving range when I was seven or eight, it's not something of which I'm not keenly aware.

I've had so much fun playing golf. I still go to the club and sit on the deck overlooking the eighteenth green. I still enjoy the sun and smell the fresh cut grass. Sometimes it gets a little weird because I think of, of all things, the now deceased friends and family with whom I had played. That's s not a good thing because basically, I'm feeling sorry for myself, and I haven't had the worst life of all time. As a matter of fact, except for golf, that life still seems to be going on as usual. My spinal stenosis, ulcerated lumbar disc, and the ulnar and median nerves in my left forearm are screwing up very little of my life except for my ability to play golf.

My dog, who has not yet turned two and barring tragedy will survive me, doesn't think much about golf. She wants her walks. She wants to sun herself in the yard while I read the paper and drink coffee on my own little deck at home. No need, she seems to think, for me to do that on my club's deck. She seems to be getting her message across for the trips to the club get less and less frequent. I'm letting go.

As I type this, I'm watching my girl Rachel Maddow. Young Dr. Maddow hasn't been a good luck charm. My man from Vermont is not winning the nomination. As I watch her and her MSNBC colleagues every night, I'm missing a somewhat encouraging early Red Sox season.

I don't even know why I'm mentioning this, so I must be rambling. I guess it's time to say hello to my MGS buds which is what I had intended to do. Nifty is still on this side of grass. I hope that everybody is doing well and having fun.

Glad to hear from you Nifty, and not playing is really a bummer.  I keep thinking about not playing and wonder what I would do with myself.  I just turned 69 and while I hurt a lot, my wife and I managed to play 18 holes 9 straight days this last two weeks.  On the last day I was wondering if I should cut back, so I didn't play yesterday.  I played today with 3 buddies from the club and I am the youngest!!  I look at them and say to myself that I've got quite a few good years left.  But then I think back on your earlier posts, and say to myself, I might not be able to play anymore next week.  It will happen one day, but it's just a game, and in the grand scheme of life there are much more important things than golf... but watching MSNBC is not one of them!!   :D

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Nifty, even though you may not be able to play right now, you still have a lifetime of golf stories that can be shared with others.....your MGS family.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Oh my friend my first of my buddies, my life long buddies, turned 60 today. I'm a decade behind you on the trip. Oh the places you'll go Dr. Seuss says

It's good to hear from you. Please don't stay away for so long. We can still talk a good game about the game we love. As Happy was a hockey player I will always be a baseball player. When I couldn't play I played golf. Some times what we can't do leads us to what's next.

Best wishes!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Nifty sorry hearing the retirement from golf is tough. I know the feeling, seeing as I've taken multiple months off and came back realizing how much I missed and some cases needed golf. I've thought about if I wasn't able to play anymore. It's not a future I want. I wish you the best and hopefully stay around.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Ya know I bet the older dog in that pair still got some game!!

Are you able to ride along with a friend and then just chip from greenside and putt?

No, not the same but you're out on the course on a nice day...

My father-in-law, almost 80 but in really poor health after battling different cancers and lung conditions starting basically half his life ago, gave it up a few years ago ... and he misses it... Does still get to his club once in a while to have lunch with a few other remaining old-timers; call themselves the "ROMEOs" = Retired Old Men Eating Out :)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Nifty, sorry to hear about your retirement from the game. I'm new to the site, but I'll always listen to golf stories! Take care, my MGS buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

As Mr. Kenny B puts it, in the grand scheme of life there are really much more important things than golf. Family, friends, and taking care of yourself takes top priority. Don't get me wrong, I will surely miss this wretched game too if I couldn't play one day, but it won't be the end of things I've to make adjustments and do other things that make me happy. Best wishes and God Bless.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Archived