TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best Golf Courses in Ireland: Top 20

With the Irish Open on this week in the K Club, http://www.realirishgolf.com/best-golf-courses-in-ireland-top-20/ aggregated all the most current "Ireland Best Golf Course" surveys to develop an aggregated summary.  Here is their Top 20.  Your thoughts? 

1.   Royal County Down

2.   Royal Portrush

3.   Ballybunion – Old Course

4.   Portmarnock – Championship

5.   Lahinch

6.   Waterville

7.   The European Club

8.   Baltray, County Louth

9.   Rosses Point, County Sligo

10. Doonbeg

11. The Island

12. Mount Juliet

13. Tralee

14. Old Head

15. Carne – Belmullet

16. Ballyliffin – Glashedy Links

17. Druids Glen

18. Adare Manor

19. Rosapenna – Sandy Hills

20. Enniscrone

• 5 weeks later...

I'm planning a trip across the ocean. Not sure to do Ireland or Scotland. This list will help! Anyone have an opinion

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Both are awesome golf destinations.  To me the biggest difference is the driving involved.  The courses in Scotland tend to be grouped together geographically.  You can drive to St. Andrews, spend a few days and play several courses, drive to North Berwick spend a few days and play multiple courses, drive to Prestwick...  The nice thing is that you don't have to change hotels all that often.  In Ireland, there is a lot more driving each day.  There are quite a few days of loading the car, drive to the course for 18 holes and then drive to the next hotel.  

The courses in Ireland tend to have bigger dunes and are a bit more dramatic.  While I enjoy both countries, my nod goes to Ireland for scenery and the pubs in small towns.  YMMV.  

Both are great trips, however.   

I'm just back Ireland, and played a bunch of the courses on the list (3, 5, 6, 13, 15, 16, 20).  My two favorite courses from this trip were Lahinch and Ballyliffin's Old Course.  I've also been to Scotland twice for golf.  I'd say that what allfriday101 says is exactly correct.  There are a number of "clusters" in Scotland where you could stay for a good long while and play a bunch of really good courses, while in Ireland the courses are more widely separated.  The one thing I'd suggest, no matter where you go, is that you play some of the less famous courses along with one or two "name" courses.  They can be just as much fun, and at a much lower cost.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Archived