TESTERS WANTED! ×

The 1 iron challenge

Fireinthehole

Let's see how well Jason Day hits his 1i this weekend. For all you guys wanting a 1i.... you ain't no Jason Day. :lol:

umm, think again. 

Haters will say it's photshopped. 

eron-cortes-133x133.jpg

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way would I ever game a 1 iron!! I'm a hooded 4 iron kinda guy. I'm never in the fairway, so I've become a professional tree puncher outer!! Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

umm, think again. 

Haters will say it's photshopped. 

attachicon.giferon-cortes-133x133.jpg

Looks legit to me

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

she is a beauty. What does it say on the "muscle"? Hitogami? Do all the H5 say that or is that a custom job?

I hit a TM 1-iron on the range at a demo day and really liked it off the tee. A lot of the same thoughts as folks talked about above. For some reason felt easier than a hybrid but not sure if I would feel comfortable of the deck much less the rough (exactly how mdumble21 felt). Although, I hate the hybrid out of the rough too so what the heck, maybe one day.

Undershooter, Fireinthehole, do you use the 1-iron off the tee the majority of the time or is it a go too club in the fairway too? In other words, is this a video of your swing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eJTNV3W0Vg

Well I tried my best to match his 258 carry with his 2I into this Par three that was playing 264 to the pin, but my fade only went 252. I failed. hope one of the two links works! My buddy filmed it portrait rather than landscape.

*** Using the Snell My Tour Ball in the vid

240fps for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t23QSkt5RPs

My Mixed-Bag:

Such a mighty wallop

This thread has me thinking about trading in my hybrid for a 1 or 2 iron. I actually don't have a ton of confidence with my hybrid and can control my irons so much better. Maybe looking down at an iron would at the very least give me more confidence. I hit the ball high, maybe too high, so I am confident I can put the ball in the air if I strike it properly. A 230-240 arrow off the tee is all I am looking for. Not my "don't hook the crap out of this" swing thoughts with my hybrid.

I have been really interested in Wishon lately. Thinking about trying out one of these.

http://wishongolf.com/new-590dih-driving-irons/

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Well I tried my best to match his 258 carry with his 2I into this Par three that was playing 264 to the pin, but my fade only went 252. I failed. hope one of the two links works! My buddy filmed it portrait rather than landscape.

*** Using the Snell My Tour Ball in the vid

240fps for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t23QSkt5RPs

Don't take this the wrong way, but you have a really good swing for a 10 handicap. Is your short game generally why you don't score better? Really good move you put on the ball. 

Also to update my 1i, I had it reshafted with an Aldila RIP 85 hybrid shaft in X flex. It was in a hybrid I had laying around the house and I thought why not give it a shot. Gonna put a grip on it today and take it to the range tomorrow. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Such a mighty wallop

This thread has me thinking about trading in my hybrid for a 1 or 2 iron. I actually don't have a ton of confidence with my hybrid and can control my irons so much better. Maybe looking down at an iron would at the very least give me more confidence. I hit the ball high, maybe too high, so I am confident I can put the ball in the air if I strike it properly. A 230-240 arrow off the tee is all I am looking for. Not my "don't hook the crap out of this" swing thoughts with my hybrid.

I have been really interested in Wishon lately. Thinking about trying out one of these.

Why not? The way they have redesigned a lot of these 1 and 2 irons with more heft near the sole make it easier to launch the ball- which is one of the more common complaints of these long irons. This mizuno's pretty forgiving near the heel or toe; it has its limits of course.

My Mixed-Bag:

Don't take this the wrong way, but you have a really good swing for a 10 handicap. Is your short game generally why you don't score better? Really good move you put on the ball. 

Also to update my 1i, I had it reshafted with an Aldila RIP 85 hybrid shaft in X flex. It was in a hybrid I had laying around the house and I thought why not give it a shot. Gonna put a grip on it today and take it to the range tomorrow. 

Well its trending down lower to where it was last summer. I had very limited practice since last summer so the number went as high as 21 over January/ february- and I had a bad block to start the year unfortunately. I was taking a lot of penalty strokes off the tee. The short game is what has helped keep me alive and going back to hitting my half and full wedges correctly has spread up the bag (took some leassons in April too.)

Nice! I'd like to hear how that experiment goes!

My Mixed-Bag:

Well its trending down lower to where it was last summer. I had very limited practice since last summer so the number went as high as 21 over January/ february- and I had a bad block to start the year unfortunately. I was taking a lot of penalty strokes off the tee. The short game is what has helped keep me alive and going back to hitting my half and full wedges correctly has spread up the bag (took some leassons in April too.)

You'll know as soon as I get a chance to hit it!

And I didn't mean that as a jab at your short game. More of a compliment that I like your swing. I would guess you have a tendency to get a bit too long in the backswing, such as myself and let things get a little wild. 

You'll know as soon as I get a chance to hit it!

And I didn't mean that as a jab at your short game. More of a compliment that I like your swing. I would guess you have a tendency to get a bit too long in the backswing, such as myself and let things get a little wild. 

Lol no offense taken amigo! You hit the nail right on the head, my block was coming from that long backswing and getting my hips out of sequence and spinning out. On a side note my tempo has gotten better more deliberate which is probably why the C tapers in my Mizunos and I were not getting a long, and why I am digging these dynamic golds in these Nike's.

My Mixed-Bag:

Sounds like we have a similar game shooter. My swing is too long and, though I don't crank 300 too often, I can come close. I am a mental basket case, however, I also don't practice putting so on the green I can become a total train wreck. I actually strike the ball pretty well IMHO. Although I do have a knack for hitting 3 off the tee. Kills me every time

I also don't really know my handicap. Something I have to remedy now that I am starting to play a little more. 

Sounds like we have a similar game shooter. My swing is too long and, though I don't crank 300 too often, I can come close. I am a mental basket case, however, I also don't practice putting so on the green I can become a total train wreck. I actually strike the ball pretty well IMHO. Although I do have a knack for hitting 3 off the tee. Kills me every time

I also don't really know my handicap. Something I have to remedy now that I am starting to play a little more.

Yep Penalty strokes are definitely my bugaboo too.

Have to say that day 1 of the experiment is a success. It felt too light at first. Which makes sense bc I usually play heavy shafts in everything. I hit it very well on The range though. Easier to turn it both ways than the 130X Ctaper was. I could hit it high, low or pretty much whatever. I like it.

Got it out on the course and while I don't hit it as far as my 3 metal I'm considering a switch bc I'm having a slight 2 way miss with the 3w. My final hole was the 9th and it was playing 424 exactly to the front pin. Water left and OB right so I pull 1i. Absolutely pured it up the left center where I was aimed. Got to my ball and had 154 to the stick. So I guess it went about 270 with almost no roll bc of the wet fairway. I may have come across something here fellas. Steel may be for the birds haha

Have to say that day 1 of the experiment is a success. It felt too light at first. Which makes sense bc I usually play heavy shafts in everything. I hit it very well on The range though. Easier to turn it both ways than the 130X Ctaper was. I could hit it high, low or pretty much whatever. I like it.

Got it out on the course and while I don't hit it as far as my 3 metal I'm considering a switch bc I'm having a slight 2 way miss with the 3w. My final hole was the 9th and it was playing 424 exactly to the front pin. Water left and OB right so I pull 1i. Absolutely pured it up the left center where I was aimed. Got to my ball and had 154 to the stick. So I guess it went about 270 with almost no roll bc of the wet fairway. I may have come across something here fellas. Steel may be for the birds haha

great to hear

I ve just been playing a slight fade, but graphite looks to be a more attractive option. More forgiving off the deck I imagine.

Real frustrated Friday during my round. Just a reminder don't play golf after a heavy leg workout the previous day.

My Mixed-Bag:

great to hear

I ve just been playing a slight fade, but graphite looks to be a more attractive option. More forgiving off the deck I imagine.

Real frustrated Friday during my round. Just a reminder don't play golf after a heavy leg workout the previous day.

Haha I don't mind the next day bc I'm sore and stiff. Playing the same day after a leg workout on the other hand is killer for me. Zero muscle control lol

And yes I almost exclusively play a fade as well. But it is nice knowing you can turn it over a hair without having to try and hit a boomerang hook. That usually goes poorly haha

Sent from my LG-AS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I know a fella who has an old TZoid utility iron and it felt really nice but that's as far as my experience goes with Mizuno honestly, nothing against them I just haven't been in the position to try them

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I know a fella who has an old TZoid utility iron and it felt really nice but that's as far as my experience goes with Mizuno honestly, nothing against them I just haven't been in the position to try them

As a guy that's tried a lot of Nike stuff same as you, I like Mizuno a lot. Softer by a touch but still a very solid overall feel. Good stuff, you'd like it.

I can understand that. Especially now since they want most distributers to have their fitting cart and shaft optimizer which can cost a pretty penny. One of the clubs that I got fitted at ended up having to send everything back because they couldn't afford to shell out 20k on the fitting kit.

My Mixed-Bag:

I am currently only using 13, so if it replaces my 5 wood it would stay at 13 and I already use a 46, 50, 54, and 58*. I havent looked at getting lofts adjusted, here are my current yardages. I am not using a 3 wood or 2I anymore however.

attachicon.gifFile May 22, 8 29 12 PM.png

LOL You have me by at least 20 yards on each club! I hit my jacked 2 iron about 220 225 off the tee with roll out

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Why not? The way they have redesigned a lot of these 1 and 2 irons with more heft near the sole make it easier to launch the ball- which is one of the more common complaints of these long irons. This mizuno's pretty forgiving near the heel or toe; it has its limits of course.

That is why I have lead tape back and low on my muscle back VIP long irons

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Such a mighty wallop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZqPFM_Q4Sk

Hybrid = hook machine

Ditched my 3w for my 1i this weekend for a 2 man fourball and it payed off. Figured it was more stable and less likely to miss fairways even though its not quite long. So it would fit better fit for the weekend since we were only playing from 6336 yards. It was a very clutch club for me and as we went on to a 5 shot victory over the 124 man field. Really liking the ole 1 iron.

Ditched my 3w for my 1i this weekend for a 2 man fourball and it payed off. Figured it was more stable and less likely to miss fairways even though its not quite long. So it would fit better fit for the weekend since we were only playing from 6336 yards. It was a very clutch club for me and as we went on to a 5 shot victory over the 124 man field. Really liking the ole 1 iron.

Right now with the firmer fairways I am getting a little more distance off the tee with it, 

Odd, but using the Snell I was able to get better stopping power into greens than using the Srixons

My Mixed-Bag:

Right now with the firmer fairways I am getting a little more distance off the tee with it, 

Odd, but using the Snell I was able to get better stopping power into greens than using the Srixons

Its probably a consistent 245-260 club for me when I'm playing my normal "fairway finder" 10-20 yard fade. If i want to jump on one and hit it straight or with a baby draw then I can get 260-280 on it depending on the roll/contact. I have't tried any forced carries with it yet now that I have the new shaft in, and wasn't about to try that out in a tournament. 

Edit: The Snell probably spins a bit more than the zstars. I find the Zstars to not be overly high spinning for a tour ball. More spin than B330 and RZN black but less than the rest. 

Hybrid = hook machine

Depends on the hybrid.  The Adams Red with a 25g weight in the tow is a tough one to turn over.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Changed my Cobra Hybrid from 17.5* to 19* this weekend....worked out well.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Changed my Cobra Hybrid from 17.5* to 19* this weekend....worked out well.

Is this the adjustable utility iron? 

My Mixed-Bag:

Depends on the hybrid.  The Adams Red with a 25g weight in the tow is a tough one to turn over.

Even their pro series, particurarly the mini was hard to turn over at times, when paired with the proper shaft.

My Mixed-Bag:

You are just not "hooking it" right...   

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I can agree with this. I also think that you should think of the hybrid more as an iron swing rather than a 3W off the tee swing. My hooks creep in when I widen my stance for a big tee box strike. I don't know why since my whole reason for playing the 18* hybrid is to find a fairway. Who cares about the distance. I'm a mental basket case though.

200th post

Archived