Our Sponsors

BTW you can rent the Lighthouse from Mr Trump including Butler for £5,000 a night!

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

• 1 month later...

I’m going to give my top 10 in two 5’s. Courses I’ve played and courses I want to play

Played

1. St Andrews, Old Course - Magical experience from arriving in the town to walking up the 18th. Something that will never be beaten.

2. Kings Course, Gleneagles - Weather was horrendous which made the course play even tougher, but had some truly memorable holes.

3. St Andrews, Castle Course - Greens were incredible and the views looking onto St Andrews even better.

4. The Carrick - Excellent course along the loch with spectacular views and a course that doesn’t get dull anywhere.

5. PGA Course, Gleneagles - Watched the Ryder Cup here so nice to play it too. 

Nearly put in Prestwick St Nicholas which is a great course also.

Want to play

1. Ailsa, Turnberry - Booked in for next May!

2. Kingsbarns - Views look incredible

3. North Berwick (west) - Always in a top 10 of any golf course list!

4. Troon - At the very least, to play the postage stamp.

5. Cruden Bay - Every picture I’ve seen makes me want to go.

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSi2 10 / Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue Raw 65 S

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM2 Ti 15.0 / Fujikura Ventus Blue (velocore) 70 S

5 Wood: Mizuno ST-Z 18.0 / Fujikura Motore X F3 70 S

4 Iron: Titleist U510 / Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85 S

5 - 9 Irons: Mizuno 921 Tour / Nippon Modus 3 120 S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 46F, 50F, 54S & 58M / Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Select (2016) / BGT Stability Tour

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

22 hours ago, Murray06 said:

I’m going to give my top 10 in two 5’s. Courses I’ve played and courses I want to play

Played

1. St Andrews, Old Course - Magical experience from arriving in the town to walking up the 18th. Something that will never be beaten.

2. Kings Course, Gleneagles - Weather was horrendous which made the course play even tougher, but had some truly memorable holes.

3. St Andrews, Castle Course - Greens were incredible and the views looking onto St Andrews even better.

4. The Carrick - Excellent course along the loch with spectacular views and a course that doesn’t get dull anywhere.

5. PGA Course, Gleneagles - Watched the Ryder Cup here so nice to play it too. 

Nearly put in Prestwick St Nicholas which is a great course also.

Want to play

1. Ailsa, Turnberry - Booked in for next May!

2. Kingsbarns - Views look incredible

3. North Berwick (west) - Always in a top 10 of any golf course list!

4. Troon - At the very least, to play the postage stamp.

5. Cruden Bay - Every picture I’ve seen makes me want to go.

I'm making way back to Scotland next August and will play 2,3 and 5. KB is special as they let you play off any tee...Most won't let you do that. NB is the most fun anyone will ever have playing. A hand full of truly special holes. 5 is one very special place....stay across st at CB B&B and listen to Ian's stories...Then go up to the Castle and climb around in it....Troon is ok...it's next door neighbor Prestwick is far superior for us mere mortals.   

• Like 1

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X

On 10/22/2020 at 6:59 PM, Alf. S said:

BTW you can rent the Lighthouse from Mr Trump including Butler for £5,000 a night!

I have a friend who is a member there....Got a tour of the lighthouse. They spent much....just on it's renovation. Marble everywhere...

• Like 1

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X

1 hour ago, Flog4 said:

I'm making way back to Scotland next August and will play 2,3 and 5. KB is special as they let you play off any tee...Most won't let you do that. NB is the most fun anyone will ever have playing. A hand full of truly special holes. 5 is one very special place....stay across st at CB B&B and listen to Ian's stories...Then go up to the Castle and climb around in it....Troon is ok...it's next door neighbor Prestwick is far superior for us mere mortals.   

Yeah Prestwick is on the list too. There are so many! 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi2 10 / Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue Raw 65 S

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM2 Ti 15.0 / Fujikura Ventus Blue (velocore) 70 S

5 Wood: Mizuno ST-Z 18.0 / Fujikura Motore X F3 70 S

4 Iron: Titleist U510 / Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85 S

5 - 9 Irons: Mizuno 921 Tour / Nippon Modus 3 120 S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 46F, 50F, 54S & 58M / Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Select (2016) / BGT Stability Tour

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

Nice to see this topic resurrected.  Planning another trip for next June, if the worldwide pandemic cooperates. It'll be my third trip, but will be travelling with my cousin Paul (read about our adventures here) and two first timers, so it'll be a blast. 

In no particular order, I've played the following: 

St. Andrews - Old, New, Jubilee and Castle. Loved all of them. The Old Course is the Old Course and the experience is truly magical. Bogied the Road Hole twice and felt like I birdied it. The other courses are interesting in their own way - loved the Castle Course and the magnificent view of the city from the 6th green - and it has some of the coolest par 3's you'll ever play. I found the Jubilee to be the toughest, and the New had some of the most interesting holes in the complex. It's also the course I scored best on, so there's that. 

Carnoustie - never has an 87 felt like a triumph. Missed three relatively easy putts that could have lowered the score, but what's worse is those three missed putts lost us the match. Dammit! But I did par 17, which felt like an accomplishment. 

Kingsbarns - whoa. Just whoa

North Berwick - like many others have said, quite possibly the most fun golf course on the planet. Made the turn at 1 over before returning to earth. Pulled a drive on I think the 14th hole literally on to the beach and had to play it back onto the fairway. Felt like Walter Hagen in the Legend of Bagger Vance, except I didn't hit the green. Didn't even hit the fairway. Or get up the hill. 

Longniddry - hidden gem south of Edinburgh. It's a par 68 and was the very first course I played in Scotland. It's one of those hidden gems and was fun to play. It's not a destination course, but a fun course the locals play. 

Ladybank - a parkland course and used as an Open Qualifier. Similar to a typical inland course you'd find in the US, but a really nice layout and also fun to play. 

Scotscraig - another parkland course, touted as the 13th oldest course in the world. Last course we played on our last trip, after an early morning 18 at Kingsbarns. It's a nice course - back nine is more scenic and the holes more interesting, but by then after seven days of nonstop golf, I was toast. By the 15th hole I wanted nothing more than to be done - total burnout. Would like to play it again with a better attitude. 

Lundin Links - great, great great hidden gem. Old Tom Morris -James Braid design with some of the best views around. You'll have to use every club in the bag and think your way around it. 

Prestonfield - in the city of Edinburgh, another hidden gem. Parkland course with some great views of the rock formations and hills in Edinburgh. Some very tough par 5's. It starts out rather gently with an easy par 4 and and even easier par 3, then it starts showing its teeth. Love the sign on the clubhouse - "A fair test of golf..."

Our June trip (c'mon vaccine!) will include North Berwick, Gullane, Dumbarnie, maybe Renaissance and the St. Andrews experience. Would love to fit in a return to Lundin Links and maybe Scotscraig. I also hear Crail is excellent and worth a whack. 

And if any of you get to St. Andrews in the coming year or so and need a caddy, make sure to ask for Brett Murray. He's a great caddy and an even better guy. Tell him I say hi. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

58 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Nice to see this topic resurrected.  Planning another trip for next June, if the worldwide pandemic cooperates. It'll be my third trip, but will be travelling with my cousin Paul (read about our adventures here) and two first timers, so it'll be a blast. 

In no particular order, I've played the following: 

St. Andrews - Old, New, Jubilee and Castle. Loved all of them. The Old Course is the Old Course and the experience is truly magical. Bogied the Road Hole twice and felt like I birdied it. The other courses are interesting in their own way - loved the Castle Course and the magnificent view of the city from the 6th green - and it has some of the coolest par 3's you'll ever play. I found the Jubilee to be the toughest, and the New had some of the most interesting holes in the complex. It's also the course I scored best on, so there's that. 

Carnoustie - never has an 87 felt like a triumph. Missed three relatively easy putts that could have lowered the score, but what's worse is those three missed putts lost us the match. Dammit! But I did par 17, which felt like an accomplishment. 

Kingsbarns - whoa. Just whoa

North Berwick - like many others have said, quite possibly the most fun golf course on the planet. Made the turn at 1 over before returning to earth. Pulled a drive on I think the 14th hole literally on to the beach and had to play it back onto the fairway. Felt like Walter Hagen in the Legend of Bagger Vance, except I didn't hit the green. Didn't even hit the fairway. Or get up the hill. 

Longniddry - hidden gem south of Edinburgh. It's a par 68 and was the very first course I played in Scotland. It's one of those hidden gems and was fun to play. It's not a destination course, but a fun course the locals play. 

Ladybank - a parkland course and used as an Open Qualifier. Similar to a typical inland course you'd find in the US, but a really nice layout and also fun to play. 

Scotscraig - another parkland course, touted as the 13th oldest course in the world. Last course we played on our last trip, after an early morning 18 at Kingsbarns. It's a nice course - back nine is more scenic and the holes more interesting, but by then after seven days of nonstop golf, I was toast. By the 15th hole I wanted nothing more than to be done - total burnout. Would like to play it again with a better attitude. 

Lundin Links - great, great great hidden gem. Old Tom Morris -James Braid design with some of the best views around. You'll have to use every club in the bag and think your way around it. 

Prestonfield - in the city of Edinburgh, another hidden gem. Parkland course with some great views of the rock formations and hills in Edinburgh. Some very tough par 5's. It starts out rather gently with an easy par 4 and and even easier par 3, then it starts showing its teeth. Love the sign on the clubhouse - "A fair test of golf..."

Our June trip (c'mon vaccine!) will include North Berwick, Gullane, Dumbarnie, maybe Renaissance and the St. Andrews experience. Would love to fit in a return to Lundin Links and maybe Scotscraig. I also hear Crail is excellent and worth a whack. 

And if any of you get to St. Andrews in the coming year or so and need a caddy, make sure to ask for Brett Murray. He's a great caddy and an even better guy. Tell him I say hi. 

If you're looking to slum it at West Lothian give me a shout we are only 20 minutes outside Edinburgh?

• Like 2

WIMB

3 hours ago, Alf. S said:

If you're looking to slum it at West Lothian give me a shout we are only 20 minutes outside Edinburgh?

You got it! Anyone with a picture of Alf as an avatar can be my friend forever!  Looking like early June, if it happens. We've already put down the deposit but can move our tee times if COVID doesn't cooperate. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

You got it! Anyone with a picture of Alf as an avatar can be my friend forever!  Looking like early June, if it happens. We've already put down the deposit but can move our tee times if COVID doesn't cooperate. 

Keep in touch on the dates, June is usually a good time for me. May and October I'm usually away on my own golfing trips. If you come you'll enjoy it, parkland with great views up and down the Firth of Forth. You can see all the way to the Bass Rock at North Berwick and up past Stirling Castle into the Trossachs.  Hopefully COVID free by then!

Nice to see some different courses in your selection. I really like Scotscraig and Ladybank I've played earlier this year. The Castle at St Andrews I played a month ago and it was a nightmare, they were ironing the greens on the combined 9th and 18th when we were having coffee so the greens were lightning and it was gusting up to 30mph. It seemed every pin was on a shelve or tucked away. 90 feet putts on slick greens in those winds was treacherous. 

Lundin LInks is another that I play regularly and enjoy. If you've played it the course over the wall at the 4th is Leven Links which is very similar but maybe not as well maintained but if you like links it is a good challenge.

One you did mention as a possible is Crail, they have 2 courses there Balcomie and Craighead. I've only played Balcomie(old course) and after all the hype I was disappointed, it has a few marquee holes but on the whole IMO was uninspiring. The one course that is getting good reviews in Fife at the moment is Durbarnie which is only about 5 miles from Lundin Links. They have been really aggressive this year on pricing for Scots due to the lack of foreign visitors and I haven't seem one bad review about it. 

WIMB

On 12/4/2020 at 5:45 PM, Alf. S said:

One you did mention as a possible is Crail, they have 2 courses there Balcomie and Craighead. I've only played Balcomie(old course) and after all the hype I was disappointed, it has a few marquee holes but on the whole IMO was uninspiring. The one course that is getting good reviews in Fife at the moment is Durbarnie which is only about 5 miles from Lundin Links. They have been really aggressive this year on pricing for Scots due to the lack of foreign visitors and I haven't seem one bad review about it. 

I have played Craighead. If you enjoy driving balls over stonewalls...Go. There are literally about 5 holes you cross stonewalls. I'd rec Elie, Leven and Lundin before Crail. I was to play Dumbarnie this past August, but Covid....so I'll be back coming August. 

Epic Flash 9 &15

Titliest 915 18&21

Staff 5 to G

Ping SW

Wide Flange LW

TM Spider X