TESTERS WANTED! ×

How many wedges?

chemclub

My 56 is my weapon next to my putter. I use my gap 52 for 125-130 and my Lob if I'm on a steep downhill towards the green.......but my 56 is my 120 and in club from just about any lie. I open it up if I need a soft flop and close it down for a bump and run......i could probably part with my Lob in all honesty which would allow for some tighter distances in my woods

Driver:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 13 Degree
3 Wood:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 15 Degree
5 Wood:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 18 Degree
4th:  :wilson_staff_small: D200 22 Degree
5-P  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4
Gap:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Sand:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Lob:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour
Putter: Directed Force "Reno" Putter

Now that I have the JPX's I have definitely gone back from 3 to 4 wedges. Two in addition to the 45° PW and the 50° GW. The problem is I haven't settled on which ones. 54°-60° Titleist, 56°-64° Mizunos or 53°-59° Scors.

With my practice time being non-existent right now I am gaming the Titleist simply because they are the most familiar and most confidence. But they are just about worn out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Anyone else like me that grab one club around the greens? I'm hitting 60 on everything within about 60 yards unless I can play a true bump and run with a 9. I've hit 40 plus yard sand shots with my 60. On occasion I'll hit a 58 or something but it's rare and more of a case where I want a bit lower flight around the green.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Anyone else like me that grab one club around the greens? I'm hitting 60 on everything within about 60 yards unless I can play a true bump and run with a 9. I've hit 40 plus yard sand shots with my 60. On occasion I'll hit a 58 or something but it's rare and more of a case where I want a bit lower flight around the green.

My 54 and 58 are my go to clubs around the green. Whenever possible I try to stick with the 54.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I use 4 wedges PW(46), 50,54,60. Most of my shots are played from 135 and in so these are the most important clubs for me. It's rare I hit a thing more then a 8 iron into a par 4 and it's usually a wedge.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I'm like you in that I use(d) my 60 wedge for everything. The other wedges were just for full swing approach shot distances. After reading Pelz it has made me try different wedges with better results. One thing that clicked in my head is that Pelz talks about how the higher the loft with more spin, the harder it is to keep the ball on line. Inevitably, some side spin or odd bounce creeps in. I have been chipping recently with my 56 and 50 and really have been running them up much tighter to the hole. I reach for the 60 a lot less often. The Pelz chipping swing also produces a lower flight with more bite than I was doing.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I have the 42, 46, 50, 54, and 58 SCORs.  Around the green it's mostly the 50 for chip shots unless the pin is close, then it's either the 54 or 58.  If the green is big and the pin is on the other side, I might use the 42.  

I will use both 54 and 58 for greenside bunker shots depending on the lie.  I might use the 50 out of a greenside bunker if it is a long shot (we have quite a few of those).

Most shots 10-30 yards, I use the 58.  I never take a full swing with the 58, rarely with the 54, and only occasionally with the 50.  Most shots are fairly low unless I have no choice.  I am not a high shot hitter because over the years I have found that high shots for me are high risk, and I can control lower shots easier.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Funny part was after posting I use the 60 everywhere I played around 10 bump and runs with 9 iron. Seems I'm really hitting it close from 10-20 yards using that method. Still like the 60 to flip something on the green if there's bumps and ridges in the way.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I just put the 60 back in the bag last week for a tourney and took out the 2iron. So I'm carry my iron spec PW, and then a 52,56,60. I will only pull the 60 out in extreme situations. Other than my PW I will not swing at a wedge full-go. An 85% swing is all I'll do. I don't like to ramp up to hit a wedge so in that case I only play my SW about 85 yds, gap to about 110yds and a Pw from anything 135 and down. I have no clue how far I even hit the lob because I'll never swing at it from the fairway. My 52 and 56 are my tried and true. I like to run and skip a 52 into any green possible.

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, TM R11S driver. G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I irons, Rac 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I went back to the Hogans this week and have a 50, 54 and 58 in the bag. May swap out the Hogan 58 for the MD PM grind in the same loft.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Alright who started this thread because I managed to find my gap between wedges twice yesterday at in opportune times. One cost me a bogey! Actually it was my bad. Both time were par fives where my lay up went 10 yards farther than anticipated. I was flushing it with everything except 3 wood yesterday.

I use everything and anything around the greens with the exception of driver and 3 wood. It just depends on the lie and circumstance. In reviewing yesterday's round I used Putter, 60, 54 and 8 iron. Also considered were 48, 9 iron and 4 hybrid.

While I'm generally happy with my bag right now I could see finding a serviceable 4 wood and picking up a 52 and a 56. (SCORs of course for me.)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I carry 4 wedges, and have for 20 years.  In the bag currently are 46° and 50° SCOR wedges as well as 54° and 58° Clevelands. I have used with the Pelz strategy of multiple swing lengths with different clubs to produce 12 distinct yardages for years, but now I am trying to move to something a little less concrete, and a little more free. 

When I become to mechanical on the course, I hit too many really poor shots, and very high numbers.  This year, I have really been trying to just react to the situation, and let my instincts take over.  Results have been mixed, but overall the trend is positive. 

YMMV.

N.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Currently playing 50, 54, 60. Looking to swap out the Vokey 54/60 for a set of 54/58 Mizuno S5 wedges. The 50 is part of my JPX825 set and I think the S5's will be more forgiving than the Vokey's.

Mizuno JPX 825 4-G

Ping G25 Driver

Ping G400 Crossover 19*

Seemore Putter

I play a 52 and 56, and I do practice with varied swings with my 56. The 56 is a Vokey Design M Grind, so I practice different shots around and close to the green. I might experiment with a 60 for a full shot less than 100 yards in, but I can't see myself ever using a 64. 

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM + TWITTER + YOUTUBE

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:scotty-small:  Tour Issue Circle T - Tour Rat I

I was honking about something in regards to wedges, if most people are using CB, or oversize or any type of iron that is more forgiving, and easier to hit, why do I read here that most are playing SM5, MD3, or some other MB wedge, and then we wonder why we can't hit them, or have many issues with our wedges, there are wedges that have are CB or oversize, so o guess the question is why don't more people who struggle with wedges try to use a more cavity back or oversize wedge? Not that there is anything wrong with using the other wedges, but just curious as to why everyone looks to use SM5, or SM6, or MD3, or RTX 2.0 when there is a struggle with that type of club.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Recommend you put away the Bible and simplify your wedge play by reading Dick Stockton's Unconscious Scoring. He recommends two wedge shots: one high, and one low. This is much easier to remember on the course, and it works.

As a bonus, Stockton includes a chapter from his Unconscious Putting book. Tremendous.

I carry 3 right now (52, 56 & 60) but have an open spot in my bag for a 64.  I have a 64* but have rarely ever used it and don't find that it is much more help than the 60*

The Dude abides.

WITB:

PXG 0811 9 degree

Tour Exotics 3 Wood

Srixon 5 Wood

PXG 0311 5-PW

Miura K Wedges 52, 56, 60

PXG  Center Shafted

:travis-mathew-1: Golf Shirts (on me, not ITB!)

I played with a guy today that lasered every green approach shot, up to 25 yards from the green.  Good player, but I do not rely on yardages from lasers or GPS on shots from 50-60 yards and in. It's all feel for me, and my wedge selection depends on my lie, how much green I have to work with, and what shot trajectory I want to play.  Maybe that's why I have plenty of room for improvement in my pitching!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I played with a guy today that lasered every green approach shot, up to 25 yards from the green.  Good player, but I do not rely on yardages from lasers or GPS on shots from 50-60 yards and in. It's all feel for me, and my wedge selection depends on my lie, how much green I have to work with, and what shot trajectory I want to play.  Maybe that's why I have plenty of room for improvement in my pitching!!

I agree with your approach. Feel is how I play short pitches, focusing on where the ball should land, knowing run out distance for each wedge.

Archived