TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Irons Suggestions

I am due for some new irons in the next couple of months. Just curious what our great members have to say.

Info about my game:

1. I have a 1.4 handicap at the moment.

2. Been playing Nike Pro Combos for awhile now. Love the feel. Probably looking for a little more distance but not a must.

3. Distance averages I hit as of now:

Driver: 285-300

3 wood: 245-265

2 Hybrid: 210-225

3 Iron: 200-210

4 Iron: 190-200

5 Iron: 180-190

6 Iron: 165-175

7 Iron: 155-165

8 Iron: 145-155

9 Iron: 135-145

PW: 125-135

54*: 105-115

60*: 75-95

I have been playing mostly Nike clubs for about 3 years now but I dont mind switching as long as I like the feel of them. Thats really all that matters.

Thanks and look forward to everyones feedback.

Have a good one.

Smooth7Iron

If you want feel then I would make sure that you put some Mizunos on your list to try. MP-68 is the current blade and you could do a combo set with the MP-52.

I doubt that this will give you additional distance.

Pure distance upgrades you could look at the TM R9 TP. Lofts, shaft lengths and face technology are all there to enhance distance.

If you want feel then I would make sure that you put some Mizunos on your list to try. MP-68 is the current blade and you could do a combo set with the MP-52.

I doubt that this will give you additional distance.

Pure distance upgrades you could look at the TM R9 TP. Lofts, shaft lengths and face technology are all there to enhance distance.

djdogstar,

Thanks for the reply. I will check those out.

I am due for some new irons in the next couple of months. Just curious what our great members have to say.

Info about my game:

1. I have a 1.4 handicap at the moment.

2. Been playing Nike Pro Combos for awhile now. Love the feel. Probably looking for a little more distance but not a must.

3. Distance averages I hit as of now:

Driver: 285-300

3 wood: 245-265

2 Hybrid: 210-225

3 Iron: 200-210

4 Iron: 190-200

5 Iron: 180-190

6 Iron: 165-175

7 Iron: 155-165

8 Iron: 145-155

9 Iron: 135-145

PW: 125-135

54*: 105-115

60*: 75-95

I have been playing mostly Nike clubs for about 3 years now but I dont mind switching as long as I like the feel of them. Thats really all that matters.

Thanks and look forward to everyones feedback.

Have a good one.

Smooth7Iron

A bit more info would be helpful.. What kind of improvements are you seeking by changing clubs? what do your misses look like? what is your current ball flight? What are the 3 most important factors to you when choosing a new set... Feel? Flight? price? forgiveness? workability? brand?

All of these things will help us to make some more informed recommendations.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

As much as I love the Pro Combos (the best Nike irons ever made, IMO) they were before the past few years when irons have really been lengthened and delofted. Thus you could probably go to just about any other irons and experience a gain in distance. If I were you i would buy irons on feel, price, looks, and any other criteria. You seem like you already git some nice distance out of them anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I just put the new Bridgestone J-38 Dual Pockets in the bag and so far, LOVE THEM. It is a change in looks from the smaller heads I have been used to, but the distances are great, the feel is as good as any iron I have had in the bag, and the technology is new, not just an adaptation of a previous model.

Just my 2-cents,

LaMont in AZ

j38dualpocketcavity-800.jpg

Go hit a bunch of sets, don't forget Adams and Wilson when you do, you will be very pleasantly surprised and impressed.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• 2 weeks later...

I recently put the new ADAMS Pro Black CB1 irons in my bag and I am one happy camper. I tested the Mizuno's, Titleist, and the PING S57's (I played the S59's and S58's prior to that and those were in my bag before I switched). I will be the last one to put down quality clubs like Titleist, Mizuno, and Ping as they are all quality clubs but when compared to the Adams CB1 for feel they just could not compare. I am definitely a feel player (2.1 handicap) and after hitting just a few balls I knew I had found the clubs I was looking for. Check out the various shafts as well. I tried both the Rifle Project X and the Dynamic Gold which for me impacted ball flight which was important. Good luck!

Driver: ADAMS Pro Speed 10 degree

Three wood: Orlimar Trimetal 12 degree with ProGold shaft

Hybrid: 18 degree Nike CPR

Hybrid: 24 degree Nike CPR

5-GW: ADAMS Pro Black CB1

SW: 56 degree (two dot) Cleveland CG15 Black Pearl

LW: 60 degree (two dot) Cleveland CG15 Black Pearl

Putter: Rossa Classic Daytona (Black)

The new Adams CB irons are just amzing looking. Id give them a try. Have any pics of your CB1's NAVY?

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

djdogstar,

Thanks for the reply. I will check those out.

Hey Smooth-

If you want to try blades give the Cally X-proto's a shot. I play a set and they are fantastic. Forged by Endo of Japan they are some great irons. Also so of the new TM offereing that they've put out are B heads. They have several sets. 1) TP B heads 2) R9 B heads and they also have a R9 C head. They are all cb's but head shape/size of a blade. I happen to have a BN set of the 1st set as I was going to bag them but decided I liked the Cally's better. If you can hit all that I mentioned for a demo i'd try that then pic the one you like.

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

The new Adams CB irons are just amzing looking. Id give them a try. Have any pics of your CB1's NAVY?

Give me a day or two (i.e. hopefully by the weekend) and I'll attach a few photos. These irons are sweet!!! The best irons "feel wise" I have ever hit (13+ yrs playing) and actually a touch longer which may be the shaft I used to get a slighter lower trajectory. I was initially planning to mix the Pro Black (MB's) in with the CB1's (5,6,7,8 in the CB1's and then 9,PW,GW in the MB's) but after hitting the MB's the feel was there, but there was very little forgiveness so I just stuck with the full set and I'm glad I did

Driver: ADAMS Pro Speed 10 degree

Three wood: Orlimar Trimetal 12 degree with ProGold shaft

Hybrid: 18 degree Nike CPR

Hybrid: 24 degree Nike CPR

5-GW: ADAMS Pro Black CB1

SW: 56 degree (two dot) Cleveland CG15 Black Pearl

LW: 60 degree (two dot) Cleveland CG15 Black Pearl

Putter: Rossa Classic Daytona (Black)

Archived