TESTERS WANTED! ×

Walking the course

numberonecoog

Well guys I realized it was much cheaper to walk a course than ride a course. My local course has 14 dollar sundown rates after work but the cart fee is 15 dollars so that doubles the price. I want to play  more golf. I bought a orlimar push cart off 5 miles for 15 bucks and played my first round. I admit I was exhausted but I did like it. I felt I played a little better. It was hot and i was tired but it was fun.

My question for the walkers is what are some accessories should I have? What makes it easier for you. 

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

Water and food. Good socks (myself and a few others here love Kentwool) and good shoes.

These are climate dependent but I use Clic-Gear push cart mitts in the winter, they seem to be pretty much universal and have velcro that keeps them on the handles. In the summer my umbrella holder and umbrella. I stay much drier walking than I do riding.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

You may want to try wearing the "spikeless" golf shoes, like the Ecco's.....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I enjoy walking. I would say on the hot days to make sure you have a cooling towel around your neck. That way water isn't running all over you but it's cold still. You'll get use to the walking pretty quick though and not be gasping for air before hitting your iron shot!!

Knoxville, TN. 6HDCP, TM R11S driver. G25 3 wood, burner Rescue. Ping I irons, Rac 52,56,60 & 2ball odyssey putter

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Good shoes are really important, reduce the amount of unnecessary weight in your bag, if weather is clear and mild, ditch the umbrella and wet weather gear. I walk nearly all of my rounds, only use a cart a few times a year on trips away.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I agree 100%. Look at those shoes as an investment if you continue walking!

-Your Average Golfer

I walk 90% of the time and use a stand bag. As others have mentioned, water, snacks, and quality shoes are key. I also leave anything that I don't need on-course, such as training aids, weather gear if its not a threat, and even certain clubs if I'm familiar with the layout. 

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

If your cart allows for it I'd get a seat to attach. I don't have one but there are times I wish it did. Maybe I need to get one now that I've talked about it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

My main accessory for walking these days is a caddy. Can't walk at my club without one which makes golf a bit more expensive than I had anticipated.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Nice...

What course do you play jmike? What are the caddy fees?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

I was about to chime in water , I walk about 90% of my rounds, and I bring about 3 bottles in my bag .

I was actually just saying the other day that I play better when I walk, more time to figure out next shot or something.

Keep up the great work!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Nice...

What course do you play jmike? What are the caddy fees?

Inwood Country Club on Long Island. Caddy fees are $50 plus tip so normally about $70 a round. I know the tip is light but that is the club standard since it is direct payment to the caddy with no involvement from the pro shop. So far I have had some really good caddies and some that well.....let's just say it was nice to not carry my own bag.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

I tend to carry my bag, although I've started using my buggy again. I usually don't carry food with me, mostly due to the fact that most of the courses I play have Magpies and Crows, and those buggers love sandwiches and fruit. Caught one unzipping my bag to get at a sausage roll I had stashed in there. Apart from that, carry water and umbrella with you, along with sunscreen (usually a rule of the land over here in Australia).

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

Push cart with solid wheels, H2O, sunscreen, good snacks (like a salty peanut roll or 4), 2-3 adult beverages of your choice

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

If your cart allows for it I'd get a seat to attach. I don't have one but there are times I wish it did. Maybe I need to get one now that I've talked about it.

I recently bought a seat to go on my cart. Its nice but I haven't gotten to use it much. 

Plenty of water, good shoes/socks, sunscreen, small snack, a push cart if your lazy like me, a hat, and a towel you can wet and put on your neck if its hot out. If its cold, something to keep your hands warm. 

I walk Jan- May here in MS then ride June-Sept. Back to walking in October. Hell it gets dangerous to walk here in the summer if you don't go out early or late. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I have walked and carried for as long as I have played....(since 1986). I tried a Push cart for one round, and promptly went back to carrying. Best recommendation that I can make is to echo what others have said about a quality pair of walking shoes. If your feet are sore an hour into the round, you will start to hate golf.  The second recommendation that I have is to empty out your golf bag.  Get rid of all of the extra balls, pencils, old scorecards, windbreakers and other crap that inevitably ends up in there after a month or so of playing. (half eaten sandwiches...) I have removed 4-6 pounds of useless crap from my bag, and never missed it.  The walk becomes much more fun and the bag is lots easier to carry.  

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

That's a nice looking club jmike. Old-school - classy. I did the flyover from the website and the course goods really nice. I like the combo - parkland/links mix too. Not too long either. I'm guessing from the flyover that the greens are fairly small. Again.. old school. 18 looks like a good finishing hole. That's an interesting rectangle of water fronting the green. I'll bet you and your family have a good time there. I would.

if your course has Water jugs scattered around the course a good investment instead of bringing multiple bottles of water weighing down your bag would be a Hydro-Flask or something similar.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

That's a nice looking club jmike. Old-school - classy. I did the flyover from the website and the course goods really nice. I like the combo - parkland/links mix too. Not too long either. I'm guessing from the flyover that the greens are fairly small. Again.. old school. 18 looks like a good finishing hole. That's an interesting rectangle of water fronting the green. I'll bet you and your family have a good time there. I would.

Thanks. So far I am really enjoying the course and it is set up a bit harder now than in the flyover. Also like the history there. Bobby Jones won his first major there in the 1923 US Open. Hagen won the PGA Championship there in 1921. Curtis Strange used the course to prepare for the US Opens in 88 & 89 since he thought the greens would prepare him for both courses he won on. Family loves it and has been using the beach club a lot since it opened for the year.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Absolutely love walking. Seat really really helps if there's any waiting involved. Other than that....keep it light...you still have to push the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Water and food. Good socks (myself and a few others here love Kentwool) and good shoes.

These are climate dependent but I use Clic-Gear push cart mitts in the winter, they seem to be pretty much universal and have velcro that keeps them on the handles. In the summer my umbrella holder and umbrella. I stay much drier walking than I do riding.

I carry for 90% of my rounds. Ditch all the weight you can.

I always bring a second pair of socks. On hot days, it can be a nice restart to put a fresh pair on at the turn. Also a thorough endorsement for Ecco shoes. My guess is they will do more for your game than the $400 driver.

Also, make sure your snacks are protein rich and not just sugar-carbs. Get some quality jerky or something and it will keep you much more satiated and mentally tough even though you might eat less.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I tend to carry my bag, although I've started using my buggy again. I usually don't carry food with me, mostly due to the fact that most of the courses I play have Magpies and Crows, and those buggers love sandwiches and fruit. Caught one unzipping my bag to get at a sausage roll I had stashed in there. Apart from that, carry water and umbrella with you, along with sunscreen (usually a rule of the land over here in Australia).

Are those black and white bastards seriously unzipping bags now?

Do you wear an ice cream container on your head? Is that still done?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

We have Magpies and Crows as well, but they are not that aggressive on the course.  We have more of a problem with squirrels and seagulls.  Of course, a bigger issue here by the Columbia River is the abundance of goose crap.  The babies are cute, but they are almost fully grown now and the population on the course has tripled!  You need something to clean your shoes and/or pushcart wheels before you put them in your car!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

if your course has Water jugs scattered around the course a good investment instead of bringing multiple bottles of water weighing down your bag would be a Hydro-Flask or something similar.

This. I have a bunch of Hydro Flasks and they are amazing.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

We have Mississippi Kites on our course this time of year. They're a hawk like bird and can be somewhat aggressive if you get too close to a tree with a nest. They migrate up from South America. They're pretty and graceful flyers.

We have Magpies and Crows as well, but they are not that aggressive on the course.  We have more of a problem with squirrels and seagulls.  Of course, a bigger issue here by the Columbia River is the abundance of goose crap.  The babies are cute, but they are almost fully grown now and the population on the course has tripled!  You need something to clean your shoes and/or pushcart wheels before you put them in your car!!

Does goose poop count as a movable obstruction? Asking for a friend...

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

A good pushcart is a must -- into my second season with the Big Max Blade and love it.  I particularly like the simple brake. It's just a simple lever that moves a small rod into the wheel spoke.  No need for a bicycle-type brake system, which wears out over time.

Water, almonds and jerky, maybe an apple are all helpful.  I'm finding at my age the hot dog or brat at the turn isn't sitting well, so that's a goner.  Oh, and NUUN hydration tablets for the water on really hot days -- those suckers will save your life!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Does goose poop count as a movable obstruction? Asking for a friend...

Absolutely!!!  It's all over the tee boxes, fairways, rough, AND bunkers.  We don't get to move it when in the bunkers though.  What's really annoying is that the geese leave footprints in the sand.  Lies are usually pretty good, but a footprint, goose or human is a real pain.

I wish our course had a hose available near the clubhouse so shoes and carts can be hosed off. The Salem GC in Oregon has two compressed air hoses coming off 18 but that is more for mud and grass clippings.  Nice to get your shoes cleaned before heading into the clubhouse or getting into your car.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I bought a push cart from 5 miles and like it. I want to make sure I will walk often enough to justify a big time push cart purchase. I had enough water. I need something to hold my phone and ap lace to put m water bottle that isnt my bag  

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

Archived