Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

RIP to the Champ - Muhammed Ali

GolfSpy Barbajo

If you're of a certain age, Muhammed Ali WAS boxing, and boxing was an event.  Must -see TV before their was such a thing.

He was the Greatest - he told you so, and then he backed it up. During the 60's and 70's he was the best known athlete in the world.  

RIP Champ!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

From Darren Rovell of ESPN:

Muhammad Ali was as skilled with words as he was in the ring. His poignant sayings about sports and life figure to remain iconic for generations to come alongside the lore of his historic fights.

Today, in memory of the man who not only was the greatest but who also made sure to tell you he was, we rank his greatest quips.

"I don't count the sit-ups. I only start counting when it starts hurting because they're the only ones that count. That's what makes you a champion."

Why we love it: Numbers aren't absolute. People have different bodies, are at different levels of training, have different pain thresholds. But, like many of Ali's sayings, the idea he is expressing makes a lot of sense, even when dismissing what the rest of the world sees as a benchmark.

"Silence is golden when you can't think of a good answer."

Why we love it: Although it's hard to think of many times when Ali was actually silent, a phrase like this has more impact coming from a guy who seemingly had a comeback for everything than it does from a person who is naturally quiet.

"I wish people would love everybody else the way they love me. It would be a better world."

Why we love it: For much of Ali's career, he filled the air with the idea that the people around him didn't make him -- that he made himself. But that doesn't mean Ali didn't recognize how much people cared for him. He says as much here, relating to the age-old "athlete as a role model" dynamic and wishing people felt the same way about those around them.

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you down. It's the pebble in your shoe."

Why we love it: People tend to be fixated on the large problems or goals in life. What Ali brilliantly suggests here is that everyday goals and challenges that affects people most, not the big-picture obstacles easiest to focus on.

"The will must be stronger than the skill."

Why we love it: Ali was undoubtedly an incredible athlete who was uniquely talented. But it's also undeniable that no one believed in Ali more than he did himself. Seemingly willing himself to some victories, Ali owes part of record to his self-confidence -- beyond just his ability to move and punch.

"Don't count the days. Make the days count."

Why we love it: Ali's Parkinson's diagnosis was not only his loss, but it also robbed us of one of the world's most colorful characters. It's hard to know how Ali was feeling in his final years, but it was clear that he didn't mind attending events and making appearances despite his condition. If those days didn't count for him, they certainly counted for those who will never forget the day they were graced with his presence.

"The fight is won or lost far away from the witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights."

Why we love it: Ali was the ultimate showman. No one, even to this day, could captivate a crowd and fill the air with as much life as Ali did. So despite the show and his ability to perform when all are watching, it's a revelation that he so valued time spent working behind the scenes.

"I am the greatest. I said that even before I knew I was. I figured that if I said it enough, I would convince the world that I was really the greatest."

Why we love it: Successful people often need to have the confidence that will be successful. Although this much seems obvious, such confidence and swagger is often disdained. That being said, Ali's assuredness here makes a lot of sense. Ultimate self-confidence is the first step to realizing a dream.

"Float like a butterfly. Sting like a bee. You can't hit what your eyes don't see."

Why we love it: Ali's most famous quote deserves all the love it gets. He beautifully juxtaposed the rhythmic butterfly and dangerous bee to concisely capture his fighting style. The saying makes so much sense when watching Ali box. The big man danced around the ring with shocking grace, waiting for the right time for a stinging punch.

"Impossible is just a word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."

Why we love it: This quote often is truncated to the last part "Impossible is nothing." But the rest means so much more. While many will immediately deem a goal impossible, for the right type of person, that doubt leads to untold motivation.

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

He did talk smack but he could back it up---- "float like a butterfly and sting like a bee"--- Yeah he was something else

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

RIP "the greatest".

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Ditto...RIP.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I met him once when I was a teenager, I grew up in Benton Harbor Michigan, and myself and some friends were at one of the local movie theatres, and when we got out of the movie the foyer area was packed with what seemed like 500 people, I mean it was wall to wall people, as we walked around the corner to leave we pretty much about ran straight into him, we shook his hand, and said hi, that was pretty much it, years later I realize how cool that was. He had a huge ranch located in Berrien Springs, Michigan, so he lived within a 30 minute drive of where I lived, Berrien Springs is also my wife's home town.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

He was the Champ and always entertaining to watch. Greatest athlete in the 60's and 70's? Not likely, try some NBA guard, almost any NBA guard for that one.

If you don't like that then go with Jimmy Brown or Willie Mays. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

He was the Champ and always entertaining to watch. Greatest athlete in the 60's and 70's? Not likely, try some NBA guard, almost any NBA guard for that one.

If you don't like that then go with Jimmy Brown or Willie Mays. :)

When it comes to best known athlete - he had no equal at that time. I read somewhere that in the mid-70's he may very well have been the best known person in the world.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Perhaps a reminder of two people: Joe Frazier and Larry Holmes. I don't see the lionization of Clay/Ali.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Best known beyond a doubt. My bad I read "best". :) He's right there with Babe Ruth, Jesse Owens, Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods as the best known USA athlete world wide ever.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Great athlete and great champion of people; for respect and dignity for all. Perfect human? No, but he made no bones about that either.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I remember listening to the Thrilla in Manila on the radio about a year after I got out of the navy.......turned out all the lights and listened on the radio...I did not agree with his C.O. In the service but you have to give him credit for sticking to his beliefs......what a great person.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

If you're of a certain age, Muhammed Ali WAS boxing...

Yeah, I remember some of those classic Howard Cosell interviews!

Certainly everyone has a fav sports moment, but for me "the" iconic sports photo of all time is that one of a younger Ali standing over the then-believed-to-be unbeatable Sonny Liston.

It "speaks volumes"...

Yeah also remember the conversion to "Ali" and Islam (didn't really understand it all at the time) and his trouble with the Army ... no, not a perfect human being, but ...

..he did reinvent one of the world's oldest sports and then later reinvented himself as someone working to bring people together...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Two threads on this site, one for Prince and one for Conscientious Objector Cassius Clay, but not a word from anybody about the men and women who sacrificed all for this country aka Memorial Day.

To all who served : THANK YOU!

Generally, I leave the running tally of thread counts that prove how patriotic you are to Facebook. They do it better over there.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Generally, I leave the running tally of thread counts that prove how patriotic you are to Facebook. They do it better over there.

They certainly do.

Two threads on this site, one for Prince and one for Conscientious Objector Cassius Clay, but not a word from anybody about the men and women who sacrificed all for this country aka Memorial Day.

To all who served : THANK YOU!

Agree that recognizing our vets is important, but...

FWIW, and not patting myself on the back just saying - I volunteer at the nearby VA and at local outings that benefit Vets. Also donate used gear and $$ to vets' charities.

I'm sure there are others here who are also concerned, and show it in their own ways that they feel will help...

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Good post ck - that was kinda my point. I've always thought the "oh, this but not this" stuff is kinda pointless. A comment on the passing of a person of considerable renown is just that, and nothing else. If people want to "keep score," do it on Facebook.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Thanks, JB. And thanks, GaG -- we are not in any way minimizing nor neglecting our many many vets (old and young) - just making a "..comment on the passing of a person of considerable renown..."

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Archived