Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

whats your ball?

ja2thacub

Before the white powdery end to my season, I was playing the Hogan Apex Tour Black, found a few dozen online. Before that, I'd been playing the Gamer V2, which I found to be a rather good ball for me.

Off and on, I'll throw in the Maxfli HT 100. Yes, the original wound ball. They're so great to hit, compared to the firmer balls of today, feels like hitting a pillow. If you allow for the higher tee game spin through your choice of driver, they're not as short as some like to think. Might lose the ability to hit the uber bomb, and lose some roll, but otherwise, it's still a viable ball IMHO.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I've been playing either Callaway Tour i's or Pro V1 x's for the last 4 months or so (once or twice a weekend)... I am thinking of switching balls.

I have a driver swing speed of a fairly average 95mph. Carry my 7 iron only 145-150 yards or so. I would love more distance with both driver and in my irons, but I need all the spin I can get in my short shots as I am not a fairly high spinner. Also wouldn't complain if I found something to tame my low raking european draw (which isn't required in the practically windless conditions of Arizona!)

I am considering

Nike One Vapour

Taylormade Burner LDP

Bridgestone e6

Titleist NXT Extreme

Callway HX Hot

any thoughts?

the 2011 B330, this thing is DURABLE! Great launch off the driver and irons too!

srixon z-star X

was thinking about trying a gamer for the cooler temps, but its going to be 70 here starting Monday ;)

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

Before the white powdery end to my season, I was playing the Hogan Apex Tour Black, found a few dozen online. Before that, I'd been playing the Gamer V2, which I found to be a rather good ball for me.

Off and on, I'll throw in the Maxfli HT 100. Yes, the original wound ball. They're so great to hit, compared to the firmer balls of today, feels like hitting a pillow. If you allow for the higher tee game spin through your choice of driver, they're not as short as some like to think. Might lose the ability to hit the uber bomb, and lose some roll, but otherwise, it's still a viable ball IMHO.

Ed

YOU playing a classic piece of equipment......im in SHOCK. ;)

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

This time of year, I like the Srixon Trispeed Tour.

Warmer weather either ProV1 or Srixon ZStar and

Bridgestone 330's are good.

Adams 9064LS 10.5 R.I.P. Reg. gold eye

Cleveland DST 3 wood (17) Redboard Reg.

Clevelamd DST 7 wood Redboard Reg.

Mizuno MP 52 4-PW Nippon Pro 950 R + 1/2"

Scratch 53* DS

Scratch 60* SS

Cleveland Classic 2 Putter 35

Ping Anser Putter

Scotty Studio Select Newport ( for trade )

Kinda looking for some Srixon 701 Tour heads

Addias Stand bag

Ping USA Staff bag

Srixon TriSpeed Tour & Titleist Pro V1X & Srixon Z Star X

• 3 weeks later...

I hit a Taylormade LDP Red ball in March of 2008 while on vacation in Arizona and have never looked back. Immediately after the round I bought a dozen. I switched to the Penta's when they came out last year and would not play anything else!

Best ball on the market!

I have always been a Titleist man. As someone metioned I also was a big HT-100 fan in fact I still have a dozen and i will take them out and play on a little pitch and putt course here. Last summer i got a hold of some Taylor TP reds and blacks that came from a tour source. i like those balls also. mostly I play Pro V or x Everyone down here hawks golf balls so I have found some great deals on A grade used ones Usually I can get 18 for $20 The taylor TPs I can get for $15 for about 18 balls

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Nike One Tour D is the longest ball I have ever hit, and the good thing about it is that it still has the bite around the greens. If I'm not playin those, then I'm usually playin a 2009 ProV1x. I really wanna try the 2011 ProV1x and Nike's new balls. Has anyone had a chance to try em out yet?

"Never criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you have their shoes."

its official.....i have switched to the callaway hx tour iz. magical!

wanna know the secret to satisfying a woman everytime?...................................................................................................................................................who cares

I like the bridgestone e7 and the pro v1. They are very different and I wish I could go tee to 60ish yards with the bridestone and 60-green with the prov1. So depending on how I feel my game is going I switch around. At the end of the day though it's made very little difference. It's mostly a mental thing for me alternating around like this.

I try to play the Titleist nxt or similar balls. I am a mid to high handicap player(18 hcp) so I don't feel a huge difference between softer and harder balls. I think it's better for me to play the nxt since the Pro V1 would possibly increase my slice/hook because I don't always hit the ball straight on.

NXT tour

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Whatever ball the golfers @ Scenic Heights GC slice onto the range while playing the 5th hole!

Driver-Wishon 715CLC- AXE5 A shaft tipeed 1/2"
Fairway -Sonartec SS-02 17*-SS Series Penley Regular shaft
Hybrid-21 & 25 degree Trident DSW Hybrid-UST Irod regular shaft
(2009 version)
Irons- 5-PW-Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release sensicore R(5&6 soft stepped,-7,8 and 9 normal and PW hard stepped)
Wedges-52-Wilson Staff JP II BeCu(Bent from 54*) TT Release R   hard stepped

56-Wilson Sandy Andy BeCu-TT Release R tipped same as 8 iron

60-Wilson Harmonized BeCu-(shaft same as 56*)
Putter-Nickent Tour Prototype Milled #1-35.5"-5* loft-74*Lie

Archived