Putting - are you looking at the hole? Sometimes? No way?

cksurfdude

Same boat as Seef, I happened across this thread yesterday and decided I would give it a shot at the range last night. So after spending time on other areas, I hit the putting green and have to say my speed/distance was so much better by looking directly at the cup instead of my ball. It does take some getting used to, but I've found that it helped me smooth out some issues I'd been seeing recently and I'm hopeful with some practice it will keep dropping strokes on my rounds!

Thanks for this one all!

• Like 1

Same boat as Seef, I happened across this thread yesterday and decided I would give it a shot at the range last night. So after spending time on other areas, I hit the putting green and have to say my speed/distance was so much better by looking directly at the cup instead of my ball. It does take some getting used to, but I've found that it helped me smooth out some issues I'd been seeing recently and I'm hopeful with some practice it will keep dropping strokes on my rounds!

Thanks for this one all!

Glad it helped.  Give it longer than a few days if you have a bad round putting.  That happened to me, but the longer you do it, the more consistent you become.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Glad it helped.  Give it longer than a few days if you have a bad round putting.  That happened to me, but the longer you do it, the more consistent you become.

I am not one to change mechanics frequently, I am patient enough to give this a try for as long as it takes.  In my mind I can't putt any worse than I have been.  I just need more time with figuring out what distance I should look at the ball vs the hole.  I feel the more comfortable I get, the longer from the hole I will use this.

Driver: Ping G30 SFTech Stiff Flex

3W: Cobra F9, Atmos TS Blue 7S

5W: Cobra F6

4H: Cobra F7 4-5H 22* Stiff Flex

5-PW: Taylormade RSI TP +1/2", 2* Upright, Stiff Flex (DG S400)

50, 54: Titleist Vokey SM6 Steel Grey, F-Grind/M-Grind

I am not one to change mechanics frequently, I am patient enough to give this a try for as long as it takes.  In my mind I can't putt any worse than I have been.  I just need more time with figuring out what distance I should look at the ball vs the hole.  I feel the more comfortable I get, the longer from the hole I will use this.

That's what I thought last year.  I only looked at the hole inside 6 feet.  But this year when I went back to it, I committed to looking on all putts.  I am making more long putts and when I miss, I don't miss by much because my speed is better.  I suppose I could have started with 6 footers, then moved to 10 footers, then longer, but I wanted to get the uncomfortable feelings out of the way so I didn't have to think about it anymore.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've enjoyed reading this thread, I normally only look at hole within 4 foot. I'm teeing off in 2 hrs will try to look at hole in long putts, seems to be my problem.

(Was on green in two and 4 putted during a tournament recently)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I've tried it, but develop a loop in my back stroke when I do.  

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

• 5 weeks later...

It's Yeti

In the Bag for 2022

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5* Graphite Design AD TP 6x

:callaway-small: Epic Speed 15* Graphite Design AD HD 7x

:callaway-small: Apex UW 17* HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 

PXG 0311X 4 iron Graphite Design AD DI 95x

PXG 0311T 5 - 6 KBS $ Taper 130x

PXG 0311ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130x

PXG Sugar Daddy 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG TI S400

L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 21 34"

I've been doing this all year, and actually I don't even think about it anymore.  Just look at the hole and putt.  

• Like 1

I always putt looking at the ball. I have tried looking at the hole and the results have been good, just can't get the nerve to stick with it.

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

I am still looking at the hole and it is working better.  I am still a poor putter, but it has improved.  I do not 3-putt as often anymore and I am more confident I can make putts as opposed to trying to just get it close.

• Like 1
Driver: Ping G30 SFTech Stiff Flex

3W: Cobra F9, Atmos TS Blue 7S

5W: Cobra F6

4H: Cobra F7 4-5H 22* Stiff Flex

5-PW: Taylormade RSI TP +1/2", 2* Upright, Stiff Flex (DG S400)

50, 54: Titleist Vokey SM6 Steel Grey, F-Grind/M-Grind

I used to look at the hole for extremely long putts.  Probably outside 50'  It helped me gauge the distance better.  But I always revert back to looking at the ball.  I think I hit it more solidly if I'm looking at the ball.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I started looking at the hole while putting this golf season. I've always been a putter that leaves putts short or hit them too long. This helps me with speed big time. After practicing my set up on the practice green over the past months my confidence has gone up and I have almost eliminated 3 putts from my system. I can't go back to looking at the ball it doesn't feel normal anymore

• Like 2

I started looking at the hole while putting this golf season. I've always been a putter that leaves putts short or hit them too long. This helps me with speed big time. After practicing my set up on the practice green over the past months my confidence has gone up and I have almost eliminated 3 putts from my system. I can't go back to looking at the ball it doesn't feel normal anymore

My feeling exactly!  It's so natural now, and the uneasiness I felt when I started looking at the hole is gone.  However, I do have trouble looking at the hole when in the fringe and I cannot align my ball.  I'm OK with speed, but I miss my line that I read.  Maybe I should practice more without aligning the ball just to get a feel for seeing the line.  Hmmm.  I guess it won't hurt to try it.

Do you guys find that the smoothness of your stroke and the contact with the ball suffered without being able to see the club head directly?

17* Acer XF Fairway Wood, Stiff Steel, hardstep x1, 41.5"

5-PW Tempest Pro Drive Blades, Stiff

52* & 58* Acer XB Satin Finish, Stiff

Acer iSight Centre Shafted with Two Thumb grip and 80g counterweight, 34"

Do you guys find that the smoothness of your stroke and the contact with the ball suffered without being able to see the club head directly?

Every once in awhile things get a bit out of sorts for me, but more often than not it's a nice smooth putt.

When I first started trying this there were definitely some moments of what on earth is going on here. The more I practiced the more things began to click. I encourage you if you're trying it out to spend some time on a practice green where you can get a feel. Not just 5 minutes before a round, 20 to 30 minutes at a range session.

• Like 1

Every once in awhile things get a bit out of sorts for me, but more often than not it's a nice smooth putt.

When I first started trying this there were definitely some moments of what on earth is going on here. The more I practiced the more things began to click. I encourage you if you're trying it out to spend some time on a practice green where you can get a feel. Not just 5 minutes before a round, 20 to 30 minutes at a range session.

Yeah I spent 20 mins the other night, took a few putts to get used to but then I still had varied results regarding distance control, especially on the really long putts.

I can get a smoother stroke once I've lengthened my putter so I'll give this technique some more time once that is sorted!

17* Acer XF Fairway Wood, Stiff Steel, hardstep x1, 41.5"

5-PW Tempest Pro Drive Blades, Stiff

52* & 58* Acer XB Satin Finish, Stiff

Acer iSight Centre Shafted with Two Thumb grip and 80g counterweight, 34"

On the contrary, my putter stroke is much smoother when I don't focus on the putter head.  As jlew said and in earlier posts, this is something that you cannot just spend a few minutes "to try out".  You cannot go back and forth, looking at the hole then not looking at the hole.  If you do then looking at the hole will always feel uncomfortable and you will stop doing it.  I did that last year.  I looked at the hole on short putts but not long putts; it just felt weird.  This spring I fully committed to looking at the hole on all putts once I learned the greens at my new course.  The reason I changed was that my speed was inconsistent, mostly due to looking up early in the stroke.  I couldn't help myself and many putts came up short.  That doesn't happen now.  Once my ball is lined up on my intended line AND the putter is lined up with that same line, I can focus on distance without thinking about ball contact.

I am not saying that looking at the hole is something that everyone should do.  It will work for some, but not everyone.  I just wish I had done this many years ago when I was a really lousy putter and my pro said I had "hands of stone".