TESTERS WANTED! ×

Now, I'm aware that you've all been anxiously awaiting my WITB after my last victory against my buddy Matt last week. Ok, so maybe none of actually know Matt or that I kicked his butt all over the golf course last week but for those of you that care here is my WITB. 

IMG_0643.jpg

Let's begin with the driver and 3 wood. I'm currently playing the Cobra King LTD in both. I have my King LTD driver set at 9* with a Matrix Ozik Black Tie Shaft in X-Stiff (I'm pretty strong in case you couldn't tell). I have the 3 wood set at 14.5 degrees with a Matrix Red tie shaft in Stiff Flex (Ok, maybe not that strong). I have some lead tape on the bottom of the 3 wood to give it a little bit heavier feel that I like. I bought both of these woods from the fitter near where I live. He let me try multiple shafts on the course and these are the ones that gave me the best results by far. I love how these woods feel and how easy it is to bomb them. They've taken away a lot of my fear on the golf course. For hybrids I'm play Callaway Alpha 815s in 18* and 23* with the Fujikura 865 X-Stiff shafts. These are easily the best hybrids I've ever used. Every hybrid before them was a hook machine but these go where I want most of the time which is really all we can ask. These two clubs have been in my bag longer than any other clubs.

IMG_0652.jpg

Next we move to the irons. I've been gaming the new Callaway Apex 16 combo set for the last few months and really enjoy them. I have 5-PW in the bag right now but sometimes put the 4 iron in to replace my 58* wedge depending on the course. These irons are the Apex CF16 in 4-7 iron and the Apex 16 pro in the 8-PW. The lofts are all adjusted to work well together and they have the satin finish of the CF16s. I recently picked up some USA clover Golfdotz to personalize them but still haven't decided if I like them or not. The irons all have Dynamic Gold S300 shafts that help me keep my spin down a bit. 

IMG_0649.jpg

Below is the back view and top down view of the 7 and 8 irons to show some of the differences. The 7 iron definitely has a thicker top line but I've gotten used to it over time. I'd say the 8-PW feel softer and CF16s feel more powerful, but they all feel nice overall. I've had a multitude of short birdie putts since I've gotten these irons so I'm sure that you'll be hearing about all the hole in ones I'll be scoring with these irons in the couple of months. Don't be a hater, just appreciate the game. ;)

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

Next, we move to the wedges. I have the Callaway MD3 52* bent to 51* with a little lead tape to give me the feel I want (and make me look like a player of course). I'm also gaming a 56* Callaway PM Grind wedge that I really enjoy. It's easy to use out of the sand and hit high soft shots with. I have 58* PM Grind wedge in the bag as well but I'm contemplating replacing it with a 60* MD3 wedge. These also have the Golfdotz on them.

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

Moving on, we come to the all important putter. I've had this beauty (that will probably be replaced soon because that's how I roll) for about 3 weeks now. It's a Bettinardi Kucher #1 standard putter that's 34 inches long. I had a Superstroke Pistol GT 1.0 grip installed and I'm using the 50 gram counterbalance weight. The only issue, as you'll see in the photo below is that the weight makes it difficult to install my Gamegolf tag, which is what all the white tape is for. I like the grip but I may change it out for this reason along. As far as the putter goes, it has a nice soft feel off the face and I like that it's a face balanced putter that looks a little more bladeish (no way I just made that word up). 

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

I'm using Golf Pride NDMC MCC Plus 4 grips across the board with my Gamegolf tags installed. I like the larger lower hand in these and how well they handle my sweaty hands in the South Carolina humidity. Grips so far.

IMG_0657.jpg

Finally, we have the ball. I'm currently battling a few different balls as you'll see in the photo below. I'm trying to find a ball that spins well on my chip shots but much less on full iron shots and with my woods. I have tendency to spin the ball a wee bit too much. I'm trying the Callaway Chrome soft, the Nike RZN black, the Srixon Z-Star, and the Bridgestone B330 that are pictured below. I also have a dozen Snell balls that I'm going to throw into the battle soon. We'll see how they all too. From what I've seen so far the Bridgestone B330 might be winner but it's still to early to call. 

IMG_0663.jpg

I hope you've enjoyed seeing my WITB as much as I've enjoyed writing it. I've went through a lot of clubs putting this bag together the last few years and hope most of the clubs are here to stay.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Great looking set up! I really like the feel of the Apex Pro's and the regular Apex feel hot, the sound kinda throws me though. Did you have to adjust lofts doing a combo set in these irons?

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

Lol I did enjoy your story-telling.

Nice work!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Great looking set up! I really like the feel of the Apex Pro's and the regular Apex feel hot, the sound kinda throws me though. Did you have to adjust lofts doing a combo set in these irons?

Callaway came out with a combo set of these earlier this year that you can only purchase through them: http://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/mens/iron-sets/irons-2016-apex-cf-pro-combo.html

They tweaked the lofts and finish to make them work well together. If I had one issue with them it would be that I would prefer the 7 iron in the Apex pro but other than that they're great.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Callaway came out with a combo set of these earlier this year that you can only purchase through them: http://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/mens/iron-sets/irons-2016-apex-cf-pro-combo.html

They tweaked the lofts and finish to make them work well together. If I had one issue with them it would be that I would prefer the 7 iron in the Apex pro but other than that they're great.

Ahhh yes I forgot about them releasing a combo set.

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

• 2 months later...

Go with the Srixon Z-Star. I play golf through the NCCGA in the Philadelphia Region, and we deal with a lot of wind in the spring and fall seasons. For a ball that is so soft around the greens, I have never played a ball that hold is line so strong though tough winds. Previous balls I've played lose me too much distance in the wind, but not the Z-Star.

Go with the Srixon Z-Star. I play golf through the NCCGA in the Philadelphia Region, and we deal with a lot of wind in the spring and fall seasons. For a ball that is so soft around the greens, I have never played a ball that hold is line so strong though tough winds. Previous balls I've played lose me too much distance in the wind, but not the Z-Star.

Funny you should mention that, I just bought a dozen of the Z-Star XV a couple of weeks ago and found that I love them. I just bought two dozen on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods today. I agree completely with how they play in the wind.

Funny you should mention that, I just bought a dozen of the Z-Star XV a couple of weeks ago and found that I love them. I just bought two dozen on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods today. I agree completely with how they play in the wind.

Quality ball!

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Nice set up

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

That's an amazing setup. I'd love a Cobra King LTD driver, Apex Pro's (not the normal Apex) 3-PW (with Australian stamping of course), and the new Kuchar putter!

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

Archived