TESTERS WANTED! ×

R15 question

Johnnyrogs

Anyone use an R15 and ever take the weights completely out? I tried it tonight and it definitely felt lighter but still a decent weight. The magical thing was they all went straight. How would this effect the CG and forgiveness factors? I know MGS did the R15 with weights in different places but did they do it totally removed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:taylormade-small: R15 10.5 aldila Rogue Silver 60S
:callaway-logo-1: XR 16 3W
:mizuno-small: JPX 825 3H 19°
:taylormade-small: RSi1 irons 4-AW
:callaway-logo-1: MD3 54°
:mizuno-small:  S5 58°
:cameron-small:  X7M

By removing the front weights, You effectively moved the CG towards the rear, like the M2, but not as much rearwards. Rear CG improves forgiveness, makes it easier to square the club, higher launch. See Toney Covey's blog How to Make Your M1 More Forgiving. It works for some golfers. Good to hear it worked for you. Me, too!

I feel like I lost a little distance, but I'm willing to sacrifice. Going to give it a go in league play tomorrow night. I'll post my findings/results

Never occurred to me, I played it with the weights split which raised the cg if I remember right.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

The weights split is the most forgiving place, but I can't swing it when they are there, it just feels weird and the contact feels awful

The weights split is the most forgiving place, but I can't swing it when they are there, it just feels weird and the contact feels awful

This is a further reminder that feel is subjective. I hit high on the face, about 1/2 above center and weights split felt and sounded better to me than weights low and together. Not to mention I needed the added spin from the raised weights

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I moved both weights to the back of my M1 yesterday. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

This is a further reminder that feel is subjective. I hit high on the face, about 1/2 above center and weights split felt and sounded better to me than weights low and together. Not to mention I needed the added spin from the raised weights

100% I usually keep the weights stacked together right under the center of the face and I love the sound. The aound with weights removed is definitely not as sharp.

I had the same experience with my Mizuno JPX-850 driver.  I moved the weights from the center track to the corners and the sound/feel was awful.  Even if the spin was supposed to be lower I just couldn't play it like that.  When I moved the weights back to the center track all was right again.

My bag is a revolving door!

http://www.mygolfspy.com/pro-tip-taylormade-m1-driver/

Read and study the graphs. Moving the frontweights left and right affects draw/fade flight, not CG. Rear CG increases dynamic loft with shaft flex at impact. More loft = more control, more forgiveness, more distance, generally.

Moving the front weights around in the front track does not affect CG movement to the rear. CG forward can be beneficial if you don't need forgiveness, have a high SS, and hit down with the driver, not up. For the majority of golfers, rear CG will result in improved distance and control, due to increased loft. Some manufacturers believe rear CG is key, like Ping G30.

So the results are in. I did get more forgiveness out of removing the weights but at a big cost. I will note i wasn't swinging it the best, but even still the results were short. Arccos tells me my range for drives is 238-267 with a smart distance of 250. 4 Drives last night in league were 195, 193, 229 (down hill) and 201. The 229 is 23 yards short of my typical drive on that hole and 104 yards short of my best drive there (which happened within the last month). There was definitely less slice, but more pull so again these numbers aren't the best, but the 229 was by far the best struck ball of them all and it still came up short. I'm going to get it on a launch monitor tomorrow night and see what the spin difference is, but so far the distance sacrifice is great.

Archived