TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Driver Time

So I've been using my SLDR 430 for awhile now. I had a honeymoon period with it where I was crushing it, but fast forward 4 months and I've fallen out of love with it. I'm looking for a more forgiving but still fairly low spin driver.

My SS is around 107 MPH

My average spin with my 12 degree SLDR was about 2400 on decent strikes and carry is around 255 with overall distance being 268.

My current set up is 12 degree SLDR 430 TP with a UST VST silver 70 X stiff

Anyone have some good recommendations for me to try out?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go with the M1. It's highly adjustable, so when that honeymoon's over, you can dress her up like someone new.😘

Seriously, it's head and shoulders over the rest. But of course, go hit a few first to compare. Good luck!

It's a long thread, but I chronicled my journey to best the SLDR here http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/15518-operation-beat-sldr/

I tried the self fitting route and it was basically a collection of failed experiments.  If you have the ability I would highly recommend going to get fit.

I have very similar swing speed and played SLDR 430 with a Diamana D+ for 2 years.  Bottom line after getting fit I ended up with a Cally Great Big Bertha.  If you have a negative angle of attack and your miss is to the right it should be on your list to test out.

I tried M1, King LTD, F6+ and Ping G and the Bertha beat them all.  The shaft I was fit in to was the Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 in x stiff.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

It's a long thread, but I chronicled my journey to best the SLDR here http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/15518-operation-beat-sldr/

I tried the self fitting route and it was basically a collection of failed experiments. If you have the ability I would highly recommend going to get fit.

I have very similar swing speed and played SLDR 430 with a Diamana D+ for 2 years. Bottom line after getting fit I ended up with a Cally Great Big Bertha. If you have a negative angle of attack and your miss is to the right it should be on your list to test out.

I tried M1, King LTD, F6+ and Ping G and the Bertha beat them all. The shaft I was fit in to was the Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 in x stiff.

I had a Big Bertha alpha 815 for awhile, but it had too much spin for me. Would you say that the BBA 815 is compare to it?

I have fairly similar stats with my driver, and I loved the SLDR and used it for a few years. But I recently traded it in on the M1 with a kuro kage 80 X at 43.5" and I am really glad I did. Even after cutting the shaft down, I picked up 15-20 yards, and the club feels awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I had a Big Bertha alpha 815 for awhile, but it had too much spin for me. Would you say that the BBA 815 is compare to it?

I didn't hit the BBA or the XR

I was one of the last to jump aboard the M1 train but I hit the 430 version and found all the hype to this club was deserved.  Taylormade did something right with this club.

My bag is a revolving door!

PXG fitting? Seriously though, some of the Nike models are decent and can be bought at a bargain once they're out of season. 

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

OP...Like you, I previously played a 12* Tour issue SLDR 430, (actual loft 11.3*), with the Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.3 Tourspec Stiff shaft.  

Last year I switched to the far more forgiving 2015 9.5* SLDR-C Driver with a Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s shaft which is my all-time favorite Driver shaft.  Over the course of the last year, It has proven to be a great move!  (Unfortunately, Miyazaki shafts like this are becoming hard to find in the USA now, but are still available from Japan).  

The new-for-2016 Mitubishi Rayon Tensei CK Blue or Tensei CK Pro Blue shaft ARE widely available here in the USA and also excellent shaft options for this redesigned SLDR head.  (The Tensei CK blue has the Diamana Blue Board profile, but with new, upgraded composite materials).

As stated above this has been a great driver change for me!  This lower profile SLDR head maybe somewhat of a sleeper, but it's a very solid and forgiving TaylorMade (no-nonsense) clubhead!  Just needs a premium shaft to be as good as a driver gets!  No need to 'loft up' with the SLDR-C as the launch angle is much better than the older (original) 2013/2014 SLDR Drivers. In fact, I recommend trying the 9.5* loft first!  This is a great solid-feeling head with a huge sweetspot.  It retains the best attributes of the original SLDR's, (reduced spin, and great distance), while adding forgiveness to the mix!  Sounds just ike what you are looking for!

post-5452-0-99765800-1464798727.jpg

70.jpg

SLDR-C Driver.jpg

post-291451-0-27319500-1433106525_thumb.jpg

$_57.JPG

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

I tried the 460cc M1 and was hitting it well, but found that I preferred my R15, then when I couldn't hit that well I went to a Cobra fly z+ which was awesome for about 2 weeks until I somehow caved the face. Cobra is sending me the F6+ which is suppose to be its replacement. I also just got the M2 today and will be trying out against the F6 when it comes. There are so many options to choose from that you can't go wrong with any manufacturer today really. Best bet is to go out and test some stuff out. Good luck on the hunt! 

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Ok update time: I went to my local Golfsmith with SLDR in hand and was ready to try every driver in the store. I tried the whole M family from Tmade. Good feel but not low spinning enough for me. Got more distance vs my SLDR but I wanted more. I went Nike Vapor Pro and Vapor Flex next. They spun mid 2600's for me, which is too much. Felt solid though. Tried the R15 and same as the M family. Went Ping G LS tech, this was fairly long, but the sound and look put me off. I tried the Callaway GBB and BBA 816 DBD, feel and spin were just off a bit for me. Now I was kind of irritated at this point with the drivers. I went and poked around the used section and found an old Callaway X2 Hot Pro driver. I grabbed and hit it and fell in love. It's set at 7.5 degrees and had the stock shaft in it. It launched at 14.5 and was spinning 1800's and it was just ripping the balls. I picked up several MPH in clubhead speed so I was nearer to 112 MPH and I was carrying it 285 and total distance of 310 average. I grabbed it and ran to the counter. Gonna play Friday with it and see how it goes.

Ok update time: I went to my local Golfsmith with SLDR in hand and was ready to try every driver in the store. I tried the whole M family from Tmade. Good feel but not low spinning enough for me. Got more distance vs my SLDR but I wanted more. I went Nike Vapor Pro and Vapor Flex next. They spun mid 2600's for me, which is too much. Felt solid though. Tried the R15 and same as the M family. Went Ping G LS tech, this was fairly long, but the sound and look put me off. I tried the Callaway GBB and BBA 816 DBD, feel and spin were just off a bit for me. Now I was kind of irritated at this point with the drivers. I went and poked around the used section and found an old Callaway X2 Hot Pro driver. I grabbed and hit it and fell in love. It's set at 7.5 degrees and had the stock shaft in it. It launched at 14.5 and was spinning 1800's and it was just ripping the balls. I picked up several MPH in clubhead speed so I was nearer to 112 MPH and I was carrying it 285 and total distance of 310 average. I grabbed it and ran to the counter. Gonna play Friday with it and see how it goes.

I have had the x2hot pro for 2 years, it's the best Driver I've found, I keep trying to look for something better and haven't found it yet, I bought one new, and then purchased the demo from golfsmith, so I have 2 in he garage, I may pick up another one. The stock tour green is a really good shaft as well. Glad you found something, I know Hckymeyer look for a long time to find so ethijg , so finding something quickly is nice.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

It's set at 7.5 degrees 

Bruh...

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

It works perfectly for me so I'm not gonna complain.

Its all good. 7.5 is so far out my range that I have no comprehension of its use. Pure witchcraft.

• 1 month later...

I though anything would be better than looking at that stupid SLDR C on this thread. Here's a pick of My grand kids. Their Dad hits it a mile. :)

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Posted by revkev...

I though anything would be better than looking at that stupid SLDR C on this thread. Here's a pick of My grand kids. Their Dad hits it a mile. :)

Well if you are going to insult me, my post, and my driver, then you can expect to be counter punched!  Apparently you have never hit the SLDR-C Driver,  so I am not at all surprised you are so 'clueless' about it.  (Sorry, but I deleted the pic of your beloved grand kids as they not at all relevant to the discussion).

Here are some additional pics of an SLDR-C FAMILY which ARE more relevant to the discussion, specifically the Fairway and the Hybrid. It is rude and really stupid to bash another's equipment that you know nothing about!..  <_>

taylormade-sldr-c-series-fairway-wood (1).jpg

Taylor-Made-SLDR-C-Series-Rescue-Hybrid_Default_550.jpeg

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Posted by revkev...

Well, apparently you have never hit the SLDR-C Driver Grandpa, so I am not surprised that you are so totally 'CLUELESS' about it. (Sorry, but I deleted the pic of your beloved grand kids).

Clueless.jpg

Here are some pics of the SLDR-C Driver's GrandKid's for your viewing pleasure. I suspect that I could hit either futher than you with your driver Grandpa!...It is stupid to bash equipment that you know nothing about!... :lol:

taylormade-sldr-c-series-fairway-wood (1).jpg

Taylor-Made-SLDR-C-Series-Rescue-Hybrid_Default_550.jpeg

No one is clueless about that bargain bin driver. If it works for you great enjoy but telling others it's the greatest thing since sliced bread is just dumb.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Jury is still out

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

If you think TM has forgotten how to build a 'classic' driver, (or fairway woods and hybrids for that matter),  then YOU are actually the moron, not me!   Everyone is 'clueless' about the SLDR-C until they play one, with a properly fitted shaft, and then they 'rave on' about how well it performs! 

True Performance = A great 'blend' of Distance, Accuracy, Forgiveness and Consistency!  Add in great looks and solid feel and you have a fine golf club indeed!  That's precisely what the SLDR-C offers!

Wise-up Folks!...There is no direct relationship between performance and price!...  B)...Too many 'clueless scripts' here!  Trump may love the 'poorly (driver) educated', but I certainly don't, and there is no need to lie about having hit this driver when we both know you have not!

clueless2.jpg

If you think TM has forgotten how to build a 'classic' driver, then YOU are the moron! Everyone is 'clueless' until they hit one, then they just rave about how well it performs!

Performance = A great 'blend' of Distance, Accuracy, Forgiveness and Consistency!

Wise up!... B)...Too many 'clueless scripts' here!

attachicon.gifclueless2.jpg

I've hit it. It still wasn't for me, I thought it was a cheap feel and much preferred both the original SLDR and then the Great Big Bertha I'm currently playing.

Does that mean I can I think it's a crap club and I'm informed instead of clueless?

Look, we are all happy you found "The One" but we don't appreciate having it shoved down our throats as the greatest thing since sliced bread when everyone but you thinks it's a cheap box store production that TMaG made just to hit a price point.

I've hit it. It still wasn't for me, I thought it was a cheap feel and much preferred both the original SLDR and then the Great Big Bertha I'm currently playing.

There is nothing cheap feeling about it, so I seriously doubt that you ever really hit it at all, much less outdoors where you could actually SEE it's performance, but glad to hear you were at least wise enough to ditch the SLDR 430.   More people should do the same with the original (unforgving) SLDR's!  Do enjoy your 'Bertha", (and your new Callaway Driver too!).. :lol:

I have hit it and it is garbage. I see you like challenging people to out drive you. I spend a lot of time in S Florida and I am game. After I knock my gamer by you I can gladly do the same with my son's US kids driver. Hell I will even go a third time with the Hammer.

Glad it works for you but it is the cheaper big box release that TM and Callaway are known for. Fits a niche and that is about all.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

1468785530954.jpg

Really solid use of the Hammer reference Jmike, well played.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

attachicon.gife31.jpg

Really solid use of the Hammer reference Jmike, well played.

What happens when you call me and a man of God morons. I don't know about a lot of things in life but on golf equipment I am very educated. I should be with the amount of gear I buy. At least it is not a SLDR putter because how would I know anything about putters :)

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Archived