Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New Driver Time

And the Hammer is a very underrated driver. Once you find one for $10 on eBay and put an AD DI in it the results are surprising. There are a few holes at my club that are drivable without yelling POOOOWWW with that combo and if you yell it loud enough the Par 5s are fair game for the albatross putt.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted by revkev...

I though anything would be better than looking at that stupid SLDR C on this thread. Here's a pick of My grand kids. Their Dad hits it a mile. :)

Well, apparently you have never hit the SLDR-C Driver Grandpa, so I am not surprised that you are so totally 'CLUELESS' about it.  (Sorry, but I deleted the pic of your beloved grand kids).

attachicon.gifClueless.jpg

Here are some pics of the SLDR-C Driver's GrandKid's for your viewing pleasure.  I suspect that I could hit either futher than you with your driver Grandpa!...It is stupid to bash equipment that you know nothing about!...  :lol:  

attachicon.giftaylormade-sldr-c-series-fairway-wood (1).jpg

attachicon.gifTaylor-Made-SLDR-C-Series-Rescue-Hybrid_Default_550.jpeg

The only thing worth post to this.  :rolleyes:

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Ah the gloves are off. How about we play a round straight up? You may blow it by me by 30 or 40 yardsevery time. Heck I'm used to 60, even 100 by their Dad and guess what? I kick his butt every time.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Ah the gloves are off. How about we play a round straight up? You may blow it by me by 30 or 40 yardsevery time. Heck I'm used to 60, even 100 by their Dad and guess what? I kick his butt every time.

You and I as best ball partners?

WITB 2024

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

That would be a blast.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I am surprised that Thatginger96 has not yet tried the Cobra King LTD......one of the lowest spinning drivers on the market.  I have mine set at 12* and have gone from 180-200yards to 200-230 yards in the fairway.

s-l225.jpg

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

It's a long thread, but I chronicled my journey to best the SLDR here http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/15518-operation-beat-sldr/

I tried the self fitting route and it was basically a collection of failed experiments.  If you have the ability I would highly recommend going to get fit.

I have very similar swing speed and played SLDR 430 with a Diamana D+ for 2 years.  Bottom line after getting fit I ended up with a Cally Great Big Bertha.  If you have a negative angle of attack and your miss is to the right it should be on your list to test out.

I tried M1, King LTD, F6+ and Ping G and the Bertha beat them all.  The shaft I was fit in to was the Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 in x stiff.

I'm curious - did you get fit for the shaft first or the head?  It seems like the shaft is extremely important in a driver since you usually swing the club so fast...

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I'm curious - did you get fit for the shaft first or the head?  It seems like the shaft is extremely important in a driver since you usually swing the club so fast...

I was fitted for the head first, then tweaked the numbers with the shaft.  Then we put that shaft into a few different heads to validate the Bertha was the still the best fit for me.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I was fitted for the head first, then tweaked the numbers with the shaft.  Then we put that shaft into a few different heads to validate the Bertha was the still the best fit for me.

Thanks... I've never done a driver fitting but manage to hit mine pretty well.  I guess I got lucky.

Next on my list is the driver fitting... along with the correct shaft !!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I can't recall when it was but we had a very nice blog article about the relative importance of the shaft and the head - it turns out that they are about equal in the equation.  My biggest concern with heads would be that there is a variance so I prefer to purchase exactly what I've tested.

Good luck

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I am surprised that Thatginger96 has not yet tried the Cobra King LTD......one of the lowest spinning drivers on the market. I have mine set at 12* and have gone from 180-200yards to 200-230 yards in the fairway.

s-l225.jpg

I thought about testing it, but none of the stores in my area had it available for me to test. Luckily it all worked out in the end for me though.

I am surprised that Thatginger96 has not yet tried the Cobra King LTD......one of the lowest spinning drivers on the market.  I have mine set at 12* and have gone from 180-200yards to 200-230 yards in the fairway.

s-l225.jpg

Totally agree with Foz.I absolutely loved the King Ltd as well as the GBB Alpha 816. Hit them both a mile and loved their feel.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Totally agree with Foz.I absolutely loved the King Ltd as well as the GBB Alpha 816. Hit them both a mile and loved their feel.

I put the Paderson Kinetix IMRT shaft with it and it goes BOOM! Straight down the middle of the fairway.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

I put the Paderson Kinetix IMRT shaft with it and it goes BOOM! Straight down the middle of the fairway.

Update: I had the chance to hit it the other day and I was very disappointed. You two really hyped it up, but it failed to perform for me. It was spinning around 2500 and it was launching way to high over 20 degrees. I had it set to as low of loft that it would go and it still wasn't enough. I'll stick with my 7 degree X2 hot pro for now.

I must say that this comment thread has been a very entertaining read, and all over a driver that's part of a complete package set you can buy from your local golf shop for AUD$1200 (including irons, wedges, fairway, etc).

The SLDR was a great driver, and I came pretty close to buying. The only reason why I chose my Callaway Big Bertha over it was that I had much better feel and accuracy for the loss of 10m in distance. 

Every person is different in their golf club preferences, hence there's so many clubs on the market from various manufacturers. It's just a matter of finding whatever works best.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

It was great for me with the stock shaft. Let me know how it holds up. I had a cobra zl driver that was great for a year and the head went dead.

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Update: I had the chance to hit it the other day and I was very disappointed. You two really hyped it up, but it failed to perform for me. It was spinning around 2500 and it was launching way to high over 20 degrees. I had it set to as low of loft that it would go and it still wasn't enough. I'll stick with my 7 degree X2 hot pro for now.

Did you hit it with the aldila rogue black? That is counter balanced or has a higher balance point shaft, I didn't get along with it.

I actually preferred the f6+ felt it had more pop and a different sound, better to hit it outside. Granted I have an oban kiyoshi black 65x (72gms) playing in it so it was not stock. On trackman it launched lower than my M2, harder to turn over for a draw though.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I'm hoping to do a bit of a driver fitting this week. So far I haven't found anything that I hit better than my Nickent Epic combo, not that I've really put much effort into it.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

It was great for me with the stock shaft. Let me know how it holds up. I had a cobra zl driver that was great for a year and the head went dead.

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I gamed the stock shft(Aldila Rogue Black) for a couple weeks before changing to the paderson.  I was getting a bit more spin and a tail to the right.  After changing to the Paderson(which is 1" shorter) the spin lowered and the ball went straight, not losing any distance.....I am getting 200 to 230.  For me that is terrific!

I'd hearken back to what my fitter said a couple of weeks ago.  I hit the M1 with a stock shaft verses my current driver that was set up for me and my current driver killed the M1.  We were able to get a tad bit more out of the M1 with some tinkering but it would never be worth the dollars if I had to buy it at $499.  In fact even though I am able to hit it farther than my G30 when I nut it it's really not worth to trouble to try and get to where I hit it consistently enough to game it.  I have too many other deficiencies with my game and too little time to worry about 5 yards with the driver if it requires a lot of work.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'd hearken back to what my fitter said a couple of weeks ago.  I hit the M1 with a stock shaft verses my current driver that was set up for me and my current driver killed the M1.  We were able to get a tad bit more out of the M1 with some tinkering but it would never be worth the dollars if I had to buy it at $499.  In fact even though I am able to hit it farther than my G30 when I nut it it's really not worth to trouble to try and get to where I hit it consistently enough to game it.  I have too many other deficiencies with my game and too little time to worry about 5 yards with the driver if it requires a lot of work.

I have the same experience. Whilst it would be awesome to have a TM M1 in the bag, the fact remains that my current driver is only 10m (~15yd) behind it on average. I've been toying with the idea of getting a new, less torquey shaft fitted that would not only stop me hitting pull hooks (it happens way too often, believe me), but also gain me about 10yd total distance. So, it's either pay AUD$650 for the new 430cc M1 or AUD$300 for an Adilla Rogue stiff shaft.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

I now understand why you are so 'clueless' about the SLDR-C Driver.  This post explains it quite well!..You've clearly 'settled' for the G30!.. :rolleyes:

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

Hey what can I say some of us are just unenlightened. I have to muddle through the game hitting fairways and greens.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Hey what can I say some of us are just unenlightened. I have to muddle through the game hitting fairways and greens.

And some (like you) just refuse to see the light on the SLDR-C , which would be just fine by me had you not so rudely criticized my equipment choice and subsequent recommendation which is based on actual play. My recommendation may be of value to others that are not so "unenlightened" as you!...  B)

kusala.jpg

SLDR-C Driver.jpgSLDR-C clubface.jpg

sldrcrown2.jpg

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

And some (like you) just refuse to see the light on the SLDR-C , which would be just fine by me had you not so rudely criticized my equipment choice and subsequent recommendation which is based on actual play. My recommendation may be of value to others that are not so "unenlightened" as you!...  B)

attachicon.gifkusala.jpg

attachicon.gifSLDR-C Driver.jpgattachicon.gifSLDR-C clubface.jpg

Bruh... Just stop... Literally 95% of your posts are about that stupid sldr-c and you have to resort to name calling to try and talk it up. I've hit it, its crap. 

For those that weren't in for the last time he moaned on and on about it. Here is when T owned him. Fantastic little read. You can jump a page or 2 back if you need further backstory and name calling. http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/15518-operation-beat-sldr/page-9

Edit: page 7 was when it started to get funny, 9 was more the conclusion.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

attachicon.gifkusala.jpg

attachicon.gifSLDR-C Driver.jpgattachicon.gifSLDR-C clubface.jpg

Unfortunately (or fortunately) SLDR C is not available in Australia, so I won't be trying it. I would imagine you weren't able to try a variety of different shafts in it before purchase (due to bonded hosel) Therefore I find it interesting that you were able to be so positive it was for you when you hadn't even actually hit the finished club before purchase. My current driver/shaft was a very cheap gamble that luckily, has paid off for me up to now.

Probably not a lot of point in continually posting the same pics, I think everyone has seen them by now.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

What happens when you call me and a man of God morons. I don't know about a lot of things in life but on golf equipment I am very educated. I should be with the amount of gear I buy. At least it is not a SLDR putter because how would I know anything about putters :)

It was actually your 'cartoon' post #24 that introduced the term "moron"!  Are you so dull that you can't even remember your own posts?

I don't need to use your crude terms, since you've proved the point of what you are all by yourself. Your posts on this driver lack credibility, and I expect that you to remain just as 'rude and clueless' long after this thread ends. Not that anyone actually cares, I certainly don't!  You will now be 'ignore listed'... :rolleyes:

sldrcrown2.jpg

SLDR-C clubface.jpg

It was your post #24 that used the term "moron" along with a rude pic of one! You can't even remember your own posts? I don't need to use your term, since you've proved the point of what you are all by yourself...You will remain 'rude and clueless' long after this thread, but I doubt anyone cares, I certainly don't... :rolleyes:

Actually I posted a question that has now been answered.

WITB 2024

Archived