TESTERS WANTED! ×

Official Forum Member Review - Snell GET SUM

Agreed! Good writeup. However, when Justin finishes his swing, he needs to hold the finish and not move to the left, which means he will be looking for the Get Sum in the right trees! B)

Agreed Kenny! I've fought a hook my entire golfing 'career,' so now I play the power fade...which means I lose one to the right if everything isn't perfect.

Like I told Foz, I've been working on a full back swing AND a full finish. I can control the fade with an abbreviated finish but, like you said, that abbreviated finish can become abrupt if I'm not paying attention. Which means ugly slice.

But we're all works in progress, aren't we? Thanks for the input on the swing. Nice to have a few more sets of eyes on it.

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

Great swing! Thanks for including it! Kind of sucks that it's hard for you to get FedEx shipments. But hopefully the ball is working out for you!

Thanks Edmund! And thanks for the FedEx sympathy. Unfortunately, we're kind of a black hole for all shipments out here. Just part of being in the middle of nowhere.

Agreed Kenny! I've fought a hook my entire golfing 'career,' so now I play the power fade...which means I lose one to the right if everything isn't perfect.

Like I told Foz, I've been working on a full back swing AND a full finish. I can control the fade with an abbreviated finish but, like you said, that abbreviated finish can become abrupt if I'm not paying attention. Which means ugly slice.

But we're all works in progress, aren't we? Thanks for the input on the swing. Nice to have a few more sets of eyes on it.

We are all working on it.  I do the same thing once in awhile.  I had a much bigger back swing, but old age caught up with me, and I shortened it and I got more control.  Actually, a bigger backswing doesn't always translate to more clubhead speed.  Love your article, and love the Get Sum.  I still play the MTB during the summer, but come fall, I will be switching to Get Sum.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 3 weeks later...

So when do we get to Stage 2?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

So when do we get to Stage 2?

I'm sorry Foz. I was ready to post, but I'm in the middle of a job change and move. Hopefully I'll have it up by the second week of September at the latest!

I'm sorry Foz. I was ready to post, but I'm in the middle of a job change and move. Hopefully I'll have it up by the second week of September at the latest!

Cool, just anxious to see how others react to the Get sum.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Let me apologize too for my tardiness. I meant to have my review finalized by the middle of last week, but ended up with a bout of ITBS, where I strained my Iliotibial Band - likely from not properly stretching before a round. I had to shut it down for a while, but I feel up to snuff currently, and just need to hit the LM once to straighten out an anomaly I may or may not have found. Stage 2 up shortly. Apologies, AH1980MN.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I know I'm not a MGS official tester but I have been playing the Get Sum's for about a month and I do have a few thoughts I would like to share. My regular ball this year has been the Callaway Superhot 55. I have also played some Nike PD Long's as well.

As a very inconsistent golfer I can only give you what are my thoughts, but hopefully they at least add to the conversation. Overall, I found I didn't like the Get Sum's as much as the superhots. I felt like the superhots had a bit more distance and a bit more sidespin reduction off of my driver (which is a major problem for me). However I didn't find much of a difference between performance around and on the green between the two balls. In fact, I think the Get Sum had more greenside performance than a regular distance would have. Of course, it's more expensive than one, so it should. 

I didn't find the Get Sum's suffered any sort of damage or scuff marks while playing. Of course, I generally use a new one every 5 or 6 holes (or more often) so they don't have a ton of time to get very scuffed. However, in Canada, these balls are a bit more expensive than they are in the US, meaning that the savings just weren't as high for me. I got a dozen PD Long's for $15, the increase in performance from the Get Sum at $35 isn't going to be worth it for me. 

Overall I am sure the Get Sum can be a good ball for many people. But I didn't see the benefits of using it over the PD Long's or even the Superhots for the same price. I think that it's a good golf ball, but only good, and at the price point I bought them at, good just didn't cut it for me. Would love to hear alternate opinions and more conversation around them. Thanks everybody

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

We had a cold front move through the region the last couple of days; a little rain which we need, but temps dropped into the 50's at night.  So, this morning we had a tee time at 8am and I started out with the Snell MTB that I used last time out.  It's my summer ball, but I lost it in a hazard on #9.  I had a sleeve of the new Get Sum in optic yellow in my bag, so I said "Why not?"  I played it the entire second nine, and it was as long as the MTB and stopped nicely on the green; didn't back up, but I don't do that anyway.  I must say that in the bright sun and green grass, the optic yellow is certainly easy to see.  When we walked down the fairway, I can spot my ball a lot easier than the other three white balls.  I think it will be a winner when the gray days show up in a month or so.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

This must be getting old - I know it is for me. Last week was supposed to be my stage 2 week, but wouldn't you know? Food poisoning. Big, bad food poisoning. No more pre-round gas station breaky for me. Had a wedding (not mine) over the weekend, and work since. I was so frustrated I almost posted my report as it was, but I just couldn't. Info, you know? I will finish up soon, Scout's Honor.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I won't burn another apology on not having Stage 2 up yet, but I will say it has been a crazy couple months since I was selected to test the Snell Get Sum.  Let me explain...

I was offered a job in mid-August, moving my family and I from the cotton fields of West Texas to the green grass of East Texas.  We fell into a home on a golf course at an amazing price! 

house 5.jpg

There's a view of the fairway of number 5 from my back patio.  Never in a million years would I have thought I'd have an opportunity to live on a course at this stage in my life, but here I am.  Sadly, due to wrapping up at my last job, moving, and getting situated at my new job, it's been hectic, to say the least, and I've only got out to play about three rounds since I got here 9/1.  When I did get out the move, stress, and all the window time gave my back fits.  So after taking a week off from golf to recover, I went out tonight and hit some approach and greenside shots with the Get Sum.  I will have Stage 2 up by Saturday night at the latest...and considering I'm a just a 3 wood away from the green, I'll have plenty of opportunities to test the ball over the next few days! 

Here's the course I'm on:

http://www.hilltoplakes.com/golf_pro.php

http://www.golftexas.com/golf-courses/central/hiltop-lakes/hiltop-lakes-golf.htm

Not the longest out there, but it's plenty challenging with the narrow fairways.  Sadly I'm better off keeping driver in the bag on most holes, but what fun would that be? If anyone is ever in my neck of the woods (Bryan/College Station, TX, area) give me a shout! Guests play free! 

Well, I won't burn another apology on not having Stage 2 up yet, but I will say it has been a crazy couple months since I was selected to test the Snell Get Sum.  Let me explain...

I was offered a job in mid-August, moving my family and I from the cotton fields of West Texas to the green grass of East Texas.  We fell into a home on a golf course at an amazing price! 

attachicon.gifhouse 5.jpg

There's a view of the fairway of number 5 from my back patio.  Never in a million years would I have thought I'd have an opportunity to live on a course at this stage in my life, but here I am.  Sadly, due to wrapping up at my last job, moving, and getting situated at my new job, it's been hectic, to say the least, and I've only got out to play about three rounds since I got here 9/1.  When I did get out the move, stress, and all the window time gave my back fits.  So after taking a week off from golf to recover, I went out tonight and hit some approach and greenside shots with the Get Sum.  I will have Stage 2 up by Saturday night at the latest...and considering I'm a just a 3 wood away from the green, I'll have plenty of opportunities to test the ball over the next few days! 

Here's the course I'm on:

http://www.hilltoplakes.com/golf_pro.php

http://www.golftexas.com/golf-courses/central/hiltop-lakes/hiltop-lakes-golf.htm

Not the longest out there, but it's plenty challenging with the narrow fairways.  Sadly I'm better off keeping driver in the bag on most holes, but what fun would that be? If anyone is ever in my neck of the woods (Bryan/College Station, TX, area) give me a shout! Guests play free! 

Very nice!!  All that's needed on the patio is a cooler with beer in it.  I'm hoping to make a trip to Texas one of these days; I'll give you a shout!!

Very nice!! All that's needed on the patio is a cooler with beer in it. I'm hoping to make a trip to Texas one of these days; I'll give you a shout!!

Thanks Kenny! I agree - that pic is from the realtor site. We've already got a cart with a cooler attached. We pull into the driveway after work and my wife, daughter, and I run out and play nine holes. It's quite surreal.

Be sure to let me know if you're ever in the area!

• 1 month later...

Really excited to see the conclusion of this. I am playing Callaway Superhots right now and really enjoying the distance and lack of side spin. I think I might put in an order for the get sum's and compare. Thanks guys

Coach, 

I finally completed Stage 2 of the Review.  I hope it helps...I truly enjoyed the ball and have six dozen in yellow on the way! 

I'd pretty much love anything that said, "get sum" on it.  Very good job Mr. Justin H !   That phase one gig you knocked a home run IMO.   Well done.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I'd pretty much love anything that said, "get sum" on it. Very good job Mr. Justin H ! That phase one gig you knocked a home run IMO. Well done.

Thank you for the kind words sir! I hate that it took me so long to wrap up stage 2, but I truly enjoyed the privilege and opportunity to review a product. The fact that it turned out to be one I loved made it even better.

Looking forward to the chance to do another product review. I hope this one helped anyone on the fence about Snell's surlyn ball!

Archived